Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah definitely go out and find some structure to scavenge bricks off of. Villages can have railcraft buildings for bricks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What kind of layout prep should I make for steam in GT:NH? We are about to get into this online, and the explosion risk, risk of destroying pipes, and the lack of overall vision from the steps in the quest book make it hard to know how to get it right. I don't want to backtrack too much once we get started.

The impression I get is that boiler is primarily going to get us to steel but I don't see it in the quest book yet. I just want to lay out the space to accommodate that and the intermediate machinery and logistics.

Also, I'd like to know the ratio of water consumption to fuel consumption so I know how much extra water to have aside to give the setup some homework.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What kind of layout prep should I make for steam in GT:NH? We are about to get into this online, and the explosion risk, risk of destroying pipes, and the lack of overall vision from the steps in the quest book make it hard to know how to get it right. I don't want to backtrack too much once we get started.

The impression I get is that boiler is primarily going to get us to steel but I don't see it in the quest book yet. I just want to lay out the space to accommodate that and the intermediate machinery and logistics.

Also, I'd like to know the ratio of water consumption to fuel consumption so I know how much extra water to have aside to give the setup some homework.

Bronze pipes are fine for initial steam, later on you can use steel or potin. The only way you can get a steam explosion is if you heat up something before putting water in it. Water supply is always first. IMO solar boilers are fine in the steam and LV stages(spend all your silver from small ores on them, not like you're gonna use it on anything else), and they cause no pollution too which is nice. Once you get to Twilight Forest you can find galena veins and be able to scale solar boilers as much as you want. Other players like to build 24 coke ovens and use the creosote to fuel a railcraft low pressure boiler, but the most recent patch made coke ovens produce pollution so that might be a bad idea.
I think a railcraft water tank in a 80%+ humidity biome would be enough to satisfy your water requirements at that point.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 29, 2020

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Made myself a Pyrolyse Oven with a metric shitload of steel and bronze, hopefully I get to swim in benzene now forever

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

A single railcraft water tank in a Bayou biome (90% of a maximum 100% humidity) was enough water to keep a 2x2x3(tall) Railcraft multiblock boiler working 100% of the time when fed with creosote from 11 coke ovens, in my experience.

The only time a steam setup can explode is if you introduce water to a dry, hot boiler. This is hard to do by accident; you really have to be draining your water tank with other stuff to do that. Pipes don't get destroyed if they're rated for the temperature of the fluid. You can get that by mousing over the fluid in a recipe in JEI, as well as the temperature rating of pipes. I used bronze for steam because I had a ton of it. There might be a cheaper option but I didn't look very hard.

In terms of machine layout, the most you'll make is six: the forge hammer, extractor, compressor, macerator, furnace, alloy smelter. What I did to start was have a single small coal boiler feeding steam into a minimum-sized railcraft iron tank. I made the iron tank with hand tools, which made it way more expensive than it could have been, but it was worth it to me. Let the small boiler trickle charge the tank, and when the tank gets full-ish, use machines to craft stuff. I also ended up scavenging enough silver to make a single solar boiler to augment my supply.

Don't bother with high pressure steam machines.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

multiple steam macerators seems like a good shout, on the grounds that they're slow as gently caress but extremely cheap to run

multiple alloy smelters is, uh, quite tricky to keep supplied with steam

McFrugal posted:

Yeah definitely go out and find some structure to scavenge bricks off of. Villages can have railcraft buildings for bricks too.

even if you get to macerate the scavenged bricks (slowly) you still have to create the concrete recipe repeatedly

buckets... so many buckets...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Dang, Blood Moon tint is pretty intense

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yeah absolutely create a tinker crafting bench so you can leave the non-bucket items in the table. Just saw + crafting table.

I think everyone has covered most of the basics of steam. Other than a Railcraft tank, which costs an unholy amount of iron pre-assembler (and just a painful amount when you have the assembler), there's no real way to create a steam battery. Every other type of tank accessible in the steam/LV era requires pump covers to extract and those have terrible throughput. That means you really need to create a lot of steam or work really slowly. Both Small Coal and Solar boilers produce 6mb/tick, which is equivalent to 3eu/t. Steam machines consume the same eu as LV machines and use steam with 100% efficiency. They take twice as long on all recipes, though, so they still cost more energy than anything else. That does mean you can use the NEI recipes to determine your overall steam power availability and how much steam your system holds at a time.

IIRC the boilers hold up to 16k steam before they vent (so 8k EU), so you can math out how many operations you can afford to start without worrying about the process choking. Alloy Smelter is particularly steam hungry so if it starts choking you may never get it restarted without manually turning it off (right click with soft hammer) and letting your steam refill. Choking machines continue to consume but abort their progress when their energy buffers drain. It's the worst.

Personally, my absolute hatred of steam means I limp through the bronze age and early LV with terrible power production by taking my sweet time and working on other projects while I wait. I almost never build more than a single LV steam turbine out of pure spite.

Anyway, 6 small boilers is enough to run any given steam machine at 100% uptime. Everything except the Alloy Smelter has a fairly low power requirement (macerator uses 2 eu/t for most recipes!), but the alloy smelter will guzzle steam. Small bronze pipes have enough throughput for all the basic steam machines so just hook everything up to a cluster of pipes. Steam machines don't care about getting wet so they can stay outside. Keep the vent clear so the machine can hiss at you every time it finishes processing. Solar Boilers can only output through their hatch but coal boilers will output on all sides (except bottom I THINK). Assuming you cheated an ore scanner it's trivial to get piles of ore/ingots so don't be afraid to overbuild. It's something like 2 hours of macerator processing time to get the materials for the first bricked blast furnace so you may want a pile of macerators (2 boilers runs 3 macerators exactly!)

Oh and Solar Boilers start to calcify after around 3.5 hours of operation, down to 1/3 their throughput after another 3.5 hours. The only way to fix this is to break them and replace them (which zeroes their heat and water), or build three times as many and not give a gently caress.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

a cool trick i read about for keeping steam consistent, if its a problem, is to run big-rear end pipe in a line and attach your machines to that with a small pipe

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

multiple steam macerators seems like a good shout, on the grounds that they're slow as gently caress but extremely cheap to run

multiple alloy smelters is, uh, quite tricky to keep supplied with steam

even if you get to macerate the scavenged bricks (slowly) you still have to create the concrete recipe repeatedly

buckets... so many buckets...

At that point you'll have a forestry workbench, and you can just get half a dozen buckets to do 6 crafts at once.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I got through the early steam age on a single coal boiler + single solar boiler and a railcraft tank. Just trickle charge the tank while you're doing other things, then when it's full, burn it down with all the crafting you need to do. Rinse, repeat. I upgraded to a railcraft liquid fuel boiler later once I got the machines that made coke bricks and railcraft tanks easier (alloy smelter, bending machine, and assembler iirc.)

MV is all about the benzene-eens, baby.

Also, while a raft of solar boilers sounds nice, be aware that they require silver, which you can't get in reliable quantities before the Twilight Forest opens up. You'll find small silver here and there, but not enough to completely sate your needs.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Do they need silver for upkeep? It was unclear whether that stuff needed to be replaced or if you just had to clean it.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
No, you just need to break them with a wrench and replace them to "clean" them. They only require silver for construction.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

No, just wrench and plop back down. One little QOL thing they added was the actual steam output in waila so you can see when it's time to wrench them up.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I think everyone has covered most of the basics of steam. Other than a Railcraft tank, which costs an unholy amount of iron pre-assembler (and just a painful amount when you have the assembler), there's no real way to create a steam battery. Every other type of tank accessible in the steam/LV era requires pump covers to extract and those have terrible throughput. That means you really need to create a lot of steam or work really slowly.
Good news! they added a set of lv/mv/hv/ev pumps specifically for steam to deal with that throughput discrepancy. the lv one has the same throughput as the railcraft valve, and the higher tiers go up from there.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm playing FTB Revelations and have just dug out a huge basement to put a bunch of machinery in it. I'm thinking a power source, crusher (to double ores because I'm tired of using the smeltery). Any advice on what I should start with, and which mod to focus on? Immersive Engineering? I don't even know what benefit these machines will give me, but if you're all able to point me in the right direction, I can get started on making them all and enjoying the easy life. I'd like having an ore storage > crusher > smelter > ingot storage system, as well as one of those storage computers I can just dump everything in, I love the search function it has.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does GT:NH have portable water beyond buckets in the steam tier? I am trying to figure out if we would have to haul buckets to keep things going.

Edit: More stuff: I couldn't craft the miner's backpack on a crafting bench. Is there something else to it? It looked like 2 iron ingots, 5 leather, and 2 woven cloth.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 29, 2020

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Qubee posted:

I'm playing FTB Revelations and have just dug out a huge basement to put a bunch of machinery in it. I'm thinking a power source, crusher (to double ores because I'm tired of using the smeltery). Any advice on what I should start with, and which mod to focus on? Immersive Engineering? I don't even know what benefit these machines will give me, but if you're all able to point me in the right direction, I can get started on making them all and enjoying the easy life. I'd like having an ore storage > crusher > smelter > ingot storage system, as well as one of those storage computers I can just dump everything in, I love the search function it has.

You can do all of that stuff with the thermal suite, which Revelations has a lot of. Thermal's crusher is the pulverizer, and the thermal machines all have input/output sides so you can hook them into processing chains pretty easily.

A good starter strategy is to go chest -> pulverizer -> chest <-> redstone furnace. Set the side of the furance that connects with the chest as "input/output" (mixed blue and orange color in the control panel) and the furnace will pull, smelt, and re-input smelted ores. Things that just need to be crushed, but not smelted, will stay in the middle chest and the furnace will only pull valid items, so you don't need to go hunting to find useful results, just dump your raw ore in the pulverizer input and come back later. Have your middle chest be an iron chests chest so you can upgrade it as you go.

Later you should replace this with a refined storage setup which will scale to endgame for you, including eventual autocrafters.

If you want to cheese power gen, you can use Extreme Reactors and just make a 3x3 reactor (a 1x1 interior that is a single control rod) and it will generate a decent amount of starter power for like 2 ingots per in real life hour. The blocks in Revelation are all marked "(Legacy)" -- you can start 1x1 and expand as you see fit, but be warned a lot of people think Extreme Reactors is kind of overpowered and it kind of is.

If you want to do more work, immersive and thermal both give you ways to process oil but I've only done thermal (fractionating still(s) -> compression dynamo). Thermal also has a decent tree oil starter power setup that you can google because it's kind of hard to explain succinctly. All of the immersive engineering stuff is way more effort than reward in Revelations, so I'd only recommend going down those trees if you really like the aesthetic. The distillation towers do look pretty cool.

Most of the mods in this pack you can use Rf for, except some of the lower tech stuff which needs Mj (stirling dynamo and related) -- I understand there are ways to convert but I've never bothered. You can move everything around with thermal: itemduct, fluxduct, fluiduct. You can craft servos (also thermal) to extract into the pipe, put them on the pipe that connects to something, right click them, and set the redstone signal option to "ignore". Servos will work on most everything and have allow and deny lists that grow with the tier. You can also attach a filter (also from thermal) to a pipe section to allow or deny certain items, which lets you get really granular with routing and is useful for processing drops from mob farms etc.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 29, 2020

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does GT:NH have portable water beyond buckets in the steam tier? I am trying to figure out if we would have to haul buckets to keep things going.

Edit: More stuff: I couldn't craft the miner's backpack on a crafting bench. Is there something else to it? It looked like 2 iron ingots, 5 leather, and 2 woven cloth.

One leather is Tanned Leather. It requires drying racks.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm currently throwing a pack together to run on a public goon server containing all the new magic mods on 1.16.4 that I haven't had the chance to mess around with, plus Create. I'll post a link once it's done, but right now we're looking at:

Astral Sorcery: In recent versions they overhauled the attunement system with a huge PoE style talent tree that's fun to mess with.
Blood Magic: Newly updated to 1.16, still missing some functionality it seems.
Botania: Same old, plus some addon mods.
Eidolon: New mod from the Embers and Roots dev, which is aesthetically great but that resume makes me nervous.
Mahou Tsukai: I wrote it off because it seemed like weird anime poo poo, but now that I've looked into it I know it's the good kind.
Mana and Artifice: Literally Ars Magica 3, the dev just doesn't want to use the already-copyrighted name anymore. (Thank you so much for letting me know, Vib Rib)
Nature's Aura: Seems to be kind of like Botania, but with the ability to drain the land of power and kill all the vegetation around you. also seems to choke worldgen quite a bit

I'm mostly familiar with Astral Sorcery and Botania, but any advice on configuring the rest to keep the server from cracking in half would be appreciated. Also included are Wyrmroost and Ice & Fire for some beefier enemies to cast wizard poo poo on, the latter is configured to make the more painful mobs (Dragons, Sirens, the loving bullet hell birds) a whole lot rarer and not near as destructive. Minecolonies too because they've been updating like crazy and I'm never going to stop trying to make it work on a server.

edit: oh and Ars Nouveau, a work in progress unrelated attempt at reimagining AM2

Eox fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 29, 2020

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
At my wits end here, trying to install minecraft forge or optifine keeps leading to NullPointerException regardless of what version of java I install. I can't run either installer, and I'm finding zero answers on how to fix this problem. Any ideas why this is happening?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Eox posted:

I'm currently throwing a pack together to run on a public goon server containing all the new magic mods on 1.16.4 that I haven't had the chance to mess around with, plus Create. I'll post a link once it's done, but right now we're looking at:

Astral Sorcery: In recent versions they overhauled the attunement system with a huge PoE style talent tree that's fun to mess with.
Blood Magic: Newly updated to 1.16, still missing some functionality it seems.
Botania: Same old, plus some addon mods.
Eidolon: New mod from the Embers and Roots dev, which is aesthetically great but that resume makes me nervous.
Mahou Tsukai: I wrote it off because it seemed like weird anime poo poo, but now that I've looked into it I know it's the good kind.
Mana and Artifice: Literally Ars Magica 3, the dev just doesn't want to use the already-copyrighted name anymore. (Thank you so much for letting me know, Vib Rib)
Nature's Aura: Seems to be kind of like Botania, but with the ability to drain the land of power and kill all the vegetation around you.

I'm mostly familiar with Astral Sorcery and Botania, but any advice on configuring the rest to keep the server from cracking in half would be appreciated. Also included are Wyrmroost and Ice & Fire for some beefier enemies to cast wizard poo poo on, the latter is configured to make the more painful mobs (Dragons, Sirens, the loving bullet hell birds) a whole lot rarer and not near as destructive. Minecolonies too because they've been updating like crazy and I'm never going to stop trying to make it work on a server.

edit: oh and Ars Nouveau, a work in progress unrelated attempt at reimagining AM2

Hm looks like we're both attempting a similar thing (also lol at Minecolonies averaging 2 alpha releases a day lately) except that I'm focusing more on literally every possible building-related mod and have Mekanism and IE, but am eschewing BM and dangerous enemy mods because they tend to poo poo up servers from experience. (I don't know about how that'll go these days or how that depends on server though)

Diabetes Forecast posted:

At my wits end here, trying to install minecraft forge or optifine keeps leading to NullPointerException regardless of what version of java I install. I can't run either installer, and I'm finding zero answers on how to fix this problem. Any ideas why this is happening?

How are you trying to install Forge? A launcher like MultiMC or GDLauncher will do it for you.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 29, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I like Mana and Artifice.
It took a little while to figure out spell crafting though.
I seem to consistently get the glyph drawing at the end wrong.
There is a block thats supposed to help with drawing them, but its instructions are like reading glyphs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S67xpXrQ814

I kinda liked the old style where you made a structure and tossed items into the middle.
I wouldnt call this better, just different.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 29, 2020

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Eox posted:

I'm not sure I'd put two Ars Magica successors in the same pack, because invariably one is going to do what the other can but cheaper/easier/more powerfully, but honestly any server with a ton of magic mods probably isn't sweating min-maxing. From my experience, Mana and Artifice is the much more involved and pricy mod while Noveau is very much more about just getting results with some pretty simple inputs. I think the former has more content and potential for complexity while the latter is more approachable and has quicker returns.

E: Just looked up Mahou Tsukai and god drat the Clairvoyance spell in the trailer is the most impressive spell effect I've ever seen. I didn't even know the AI could be predicted that way.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 29, 2020

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I did it.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Why is it called a healing axe and what does it do? Haha. Defoliage, so does it vein mine leaves or something?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Happy Hedonist posted:

Why is it called a healing axe and what does it do? Haha. Defoliage, so does it vein mine leaves or something?

It does two things. One, you can hit friendly mobs with it. This damages you and heals them. You can also hit undead enemies and it also damages you, but hits them four times as hard. This is a mostly pointless feature.

The second thing it does, and the reason I made it, is that it slowly feeds you while you hold it. GTNH is a pack with Spice of Life. I'm now exempt from Spice of Life.

Making it requires you to find 8 of every pam's garden, four stacks of tofu, and 20 of about six different kinds of top-tier pam's food. It's a grind, but the reward is oh-so-sweet.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Totally worth it once you're in LV and can batch process the tofu. the tofu is really good for making the rest of the meals, too. it can fill in for like 10 different meal components in pam's

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hooplah posted:

Totally worth it once you're in LV and can batch process the tofu. the tofu is really good for making the rest of the meals, too. it can fill in for like 10 different meal components in pam's

Yeah, since this was a 1.7.10 pack I planted a ton of soybeans. It paid off. The hardest part for me was actually finding onions, of all things. Onions did not want to drop from the Ground Garden blocks at all. I don't even know how many I burned through before I finally got one.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It does two things. One, you can hit friendly mobs with it. This damages you and heals them. You can also hit undead enemies and it also damages you, but hits them four times as hard. This is a mostly pointless feature.

The second thing it does, and the reason I made it, is that it slowly feeds you while you hold it. GTNH is a pack with Spice of Life. I'm now exempt from Spice of Life.

Making it requires you to find 8 of every pam's garden, four stacks of tofu, and 20 of about six different kinds of top-tier pam's food. It's a grind, but the reward is oh-so-sweet.

Holy poo poo, that’s a nice item!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you can make it yourself but dealing with unstable ingots is a pain in most if not all parts of the body

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

The gently caress do ground gardens spread on, i had one sitting around for like multiple sessions with no spread

I'm in a Magical Forest or something, a 100% humidity zone that isnt a swamp

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

they all (even nether and water gardens) spread on bare grass blocks. they stop spreading if there's enough other gardens within a certain radius, but i don't know the specifics.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Garden spreading is a fool's game. Once you get a bed or a sleeping bag, just take your horse out and find ones in the world. Well, assuming you aren't playing on a server with other people.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I'm only worried about it for Ground because I've baaaaaarely found any Ground Gardens, nor Soggy Gardens. I'm about to just start mulching all my coins into garden bags next time I log on.

I still need Onions, Peanuts, Seaweed, and Water Chestnut. Haven't found Peppercorns yet for that matter

Does cutting fruit with shears to place on other leaves still work in GTNH?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Patware posted:

Does cutting fruit with shears to place on other leaves still work in GTNH?

I'm not sure if that works, but you can just craft 1 fruit with an oak sapling (or jungle sapling sometimes) and start a whole new tree. Rinse, repeat.

If you're going for the healing axe, the only one of those you need is onions.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Vib Rib posted:

I'm not sure I'd put two Ars Magica successors in the same pack, because invariably one is going to do what the other can but cheaper/easier/more powerfully, but honestly any server with a ton of magic mods probably isn't sweating min-maxing. From my experience, Mana and Artifice is the much more involved and pricy mod while Noveau is very much more about just getting results with some pretty simple inputs. I think the former has more content and potential for complexity while the latter is more approachable and has quicker returns.

E: Just looked up Mahou Tsukai and god drat the Clairvoyance spell in the trailer is the most impressive spell effect I've ever seen. I didn't even know the AI could be predicted that way.

This is a good point, I do like the ease of use of AN but M&A has a lot more meat on its bones. The ley lines in Mahou Tsukai are real neat as well, you can only see them with a specific buff but they give a boost to elytra if you follow them closely, and hanging out in a nexus gives you a big mana regen buff.

Black Pants posted:

Hm looks like we're both attempting a similar thing (also lol at Minecolonies averaging 2 alpha releases a day lately) except that I'm focusing more on literally every possible building-related mod and have Mekanism and IE, but am eschewing BM and dangerous enemy mods because they tend to poo poo up servers from experience. (I don't know about how that'll go these days or how that depends on server though)

I've got doubts about BM and it's a pain in the rear end to get the spawnrates just right for enemy mods, but I'd like to encourage light pvp in the vein of "saturday morning cartoon villain" rather than "total annihilation" and it's important to have sacrificial altars and large monsters for that.

Eox fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 29, 2020

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
IMO the healing axe in GTNH is a trap. You should be making new foods constantly to eat them for more max hearts. If you're constantly satiated you can't eat.
I guess if you've eaten as much as you feasibly can it's nice.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

IMO the healing axe in GTNH is a trap. You should be making new foods constantly to eat them for more max hearts. If you're constantly satiated you can't eat.

All of my hearts are orange, except for the one yellow one. Is that enough?

I think the rate of heart accrual slows down a lot after you fill out the orange one? I went through and ate a bunch of random crap from my raw foods chest for 0.5 hamhocks a pop and it took a huge amount before I got that yellow heart.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

McFrugal posted:

I quickly came to this realization when I made Pig Armor, that you automatically snack on to keep fully fed. It meant I could never eat very good meals that'd fully max out my health. I quickly changed out for better stuff. Good for armour to wear around the base when you're not in danger though, means you don't have to waste food for non-important stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

All of my hearts are orange, except for the one yellow one. Is that enough?

I think the rate of heart accrual slows down a lot after you fill out the orange one? I went through and ate a bunch of random crap from my raw foods chest for 0.5 hamhocks a pop and it took a huge amount before I got that yellow heart.

The rate never slows down. I have a full bar of green hearts and over half a bar of blue hearts. It goes red-orange-yellow-green-blue, probably purple after that, I still have lots of food to eat but some stuff is locked behind forestry tree breeding I think.
e: I've been told it's based on saturation total of new foods eaten, not just the number of new foods eaten.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 30, 2020