Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a way to download the modpacks posted to Curseforge without getting the app these days? I figured I'd die on Mr.Boofu's server but I couldn't even get the pack.

Edit: Nevermind, I think. Somehow I got to a version of the page that didn't corner me in the to app. This time.

GTNH is on the Technic Launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah I thought it was a Curse modpack. Well, it is... whatever I downloaded originally.

Anyways Mr.Boofu, I am watching you when you sleep. Or rather, the remains of the my least decapitated head are watching you..

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

To get a direct download off of curseforge, you have to be on the page for that version. If you’re on the general files page the top will have the same info for the most recent version but only offer the app link, that’s why it’s so confusing.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Well poo poo, wanted to try out the new 1.16 Direwolf pack on FTB, but it looks like Overwolf bought that up too.
Does MultiMC do later forge setups like 1.16 yet?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

OgNar posted:

Well poo poo, wanted to try out the new 1.16 Direwolf pack on FTB, but it looks like Overwolf bought that up too.
Does MultiMC do later forge setups like 1.16 yet?

It does! You need to switch MultiMC to the developer track and it will update, then FTB packs will be available to install. I'm playing it right now and it's a pretty decent 1.16 kitchen sink pack, needed a change of pace after my 3rd play through of Enigmatica2Expert.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Coolnezzz posted:

It does! You need to switch MultiMC to the developer track and it will update, then FTB packs will be available to install. I'm playing it right now and it's a pretty decent 1.16 kitchen sink pack, needed a change of pace after my 3rd play through of Enigmatica2Expert.

I just found that, thanks.
I havent found any decent 1.16 packs with magic mods and this seems to have a modern remake version of Ars Magicka.
One of my all time favorite mods.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

OgNar posted:

I just found that, thanks.
I havent found any decent 1.16 packs with magic mods and this seems to have a modern remake version of Ars Magicka.
One of my all time favorite mods.

It's nowhere near a direct replacement, but I'm finding Electroblob's Wizardry + Ancient Spellcraft are scratching that itch once I've got a decent library of spells. At least since I realized you could bind an unidentified spellbook to a wand and figure it out that way instead of burning a scroll of identification.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

GTNH status: made a Steve's Cart

Soon this will be cranking out loadsabenzene

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Eox posted:

It's nowhere near a direct replacement, but I'm finding Electroblob's Wizardry + Ancient Spellcraft are scratching that itch once I've got a decent library of spells. At least since I realized you could bind an unidentified spellbook to a wand and figure it out that way instead of burning a scroll of identification.
Mana and Artifice is a mod apparently made by the same creator/team as Ars Magica 2, and is the official modern successor. Not sure how fully fleshed out it is as yet but it's been updating like crazy and development is very active.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Two questions on GTNH: should I update from 2.0.9.0 to the 2.1.0.0 version? And is playing on a server worthwhile for someone who has a hard rule of "disable mobgriefing on the start of a new world"?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

taiyoko posted:

Two questions on GTNH: should I update from 2.0.9.0 to the 2.1.0.0 version? And is playing on a server worthwhile for someone who has a hard rule of "disable mobgriefing on the start of a new world"?

Good parts of 2.1.0.0: programmed circuits have a texture that shows their current setting.

Bad parts of 2.1.0.0: Tons more stuff makes pollution. Railcraft boilers and coke ovens both pollute now.

Turning off mob griefing, pollution, removing Infernal Mobs and Special Mobs, cheating in a high-tech prospector scanner, and more is fine.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Huh I'm not sure about mobgriefing. I was getting myself hazed by creepers on Mr.Boofu's server but I don't think blocks were getting whacked.

The pack really does expect you to suffer though. Like, the normal idea is that you just entomb yourself at night and spend that part of the cycle reading the quest book or whatever. You can make a compelling case though that an experienced person can start at noon and have a bed before nightfall normally.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

More gushing about GTNH

I made this sucker a bit ago:

This is a volumetric flask. What does it do? First, open its GUI:

Enter a fluid amount and hit accept. Congratulations, you've made a fluid container exactly that size!

This simplifies working with fluids so much. Before this, I was using this monstrosity to apportion fluids:

If you click a ticon faucet twice quickly, it decants exactly 144mB. This was working up until now, but shuffling tanks around with a dolly was becoming awful and babysitting the fluid transfer was super time consuming.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

This Direwolf 1.16 modpack seems to be in the works i'm guessing.
Like there are food bits like onions and veggies but no recipes take them.
You can only dye white wool as far as I can figure.
Has a ton of stuff in it that I didn't know had been upgraded to 1.16.
Like Create and Thermal Ex.

Also on xmas, rats have little hats

OgNar fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 26, 2020

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I was gonna give that Direwolf 1.16 pack a try just for the heck of it, to see what's up with 1.16 mods, but it runs like complete rear end on my computer for some reason, despite all the same settings that work just fine for every other modpack I've installed.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

More gushing about GTNH

I made this sucker a bit ago:

This is a volumetric flask. What does it do? First, open its GUI:

Enter a fluid amount and hit accept. Congratulations, you've made a fluid container exactly that size!

This simplifies working with fluids so much. Before this, I was using this monstrosity to apportion fluids:

If you click a ticon faucet twice quickly, it decants exactly 144mB. This was working up until now, but shuffling tanks around with a dolly was becoming awful and babysitting the fluid transfer was super time consuming.

That sounds cool but before that, couldn't you just give machines more than they need, then use the hand pump to extract the extra?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

McFrugal posted:

That sounds cool but before that, couldn't you just give machines more than they need, then use the hand pump to extract the extra?

Yeah that's how I handled it. You can use a ULV tank to empty the hand pump and use a pump cover to extract it into a buildcraft tank that can be moved with a dolly.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

just wrench stuff, waste the materials, throw more of your infinite resources at the problem

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Yeah, but that's a bunch of extra steps. Now I can just set it, right click a tank, then shift-right-click a machine. Done.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

just wrench stuff, waste the materials, throw more of your infinite resources at the problem

Infinite resources? I have to pull all that nonsense out of the ground with hand tools. :colbert:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, but that's a bunch of extra steps. Now I can just set it, right click a tank, then shift-right-click a machine. Done.
you should push into the enderio stuff in the mv tab. the fluid tanks you can make push/pull like you'd expect with a nice interface and without the need for annoying covers and poo poo

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hooplah posted:

you should push into the enderio stuff in the mv tab. the fluid tanks you can make push/pull like you'd expect with a nice interface and without the need for annoying covers and poo poo

I received eight ender IO fluid conduits from a Loot Games dungeon thing, which I have been using preciously to assist with moving fluids for some time now. I got really lucky finding them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I finished my benzene setup. :toot:

It uses tin pipes underground to transfer cells back and forth from the benzene setup to my machine bank.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I've never run into a nether portal shunting you to a different portal before.

Built my first portal, wound up on a outcropping of a fortress. Cruised around, fled in a panic from blazes I couldn't contain because some hostile pigmen showed up (guess they're new), and jump into the portal to wind up ~100 tiles from the original portal at similar height, but as that one was built on a hill, the new one was 30 blocks above the ocean on its own little platform.

It would persist that ocean portal would send me to the 1 and only nether portal, and going through the portal in the nether brought me to ocean portal. However, hill portal would send me to nether, and then I'd pop back out at ocean portal.

Decided to do some calculations on where to tear down the portal in the nether and get it close enough so that it would probably tag to hill portal, and that worked. Now I just need to build up the drive to go tear down ocean portal for the obsidian (also it's ruining my view). It's over water that's deeper than I can go without breathing enchants (not at the point of spamming enchants) and ~60 tiles from any land. A bonus though is that I wound up getting my axis calculation reversed on my first attempt and managed to create a nether connection directly to a village, I stuck some torches there to remind me to come back and see what's there.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Including water buckets in a recipe you have to perform 40+ times is a good way to make me not want to play your modpack anymore.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

runchild posted:

Including water buckets in a recipe you have to perform 40+ times is a good way to make me not want to play your modpack anymore.

MFR's liquicrafter was amazing for those sorts of things. Why did Industrial Foregoing drop it?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
TE's Sequential Fabricator has an upgrade that adds a tank for crafting as well if you have access to that.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Create has seriously grown up since I first tried it.
Using it in the DW20 pack now and went to make the grinding wheels for ore doubling only to find out that it went from crafting in a standard table to now crafting it in a 21 multi-block crafting structure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCI9EF-GCII

Though probably best on its own rather than with other tech mods, since most others tend to get the job done sooner.
Fantastic looking though.

On a side note, anyone else playing the 1.16 modpack having problems with Astral Sorcery?
I can for the life of me find the rock crystals.
Have scoured the lands at night with the wand and no sparkly lights indicating.
Have even tried carving out large holes at bedrock on the off chance I might find one.

e: more Create https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDIuWv7ROi8

OgNar fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 28, 2020

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

OgNar posted:

Using it in the DW20 pack now and went to make the grinding wheels for ore doubling only to find out that it went from crafting in a standard table to now crafting it in a 21 multi-block crafting structure.

Though probably best on its own rather than with other tech mods, since most others tend to get the job done sooner.

On a side note, anyone else playing the 1.16 modpack having problems with Astral Sorcery?
Have even tried carving out large holes at bedrock on the off chance I might find one.

I haven’t had any problems finding rock crystals at night. Are you using optifine?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

after faffing around on gregtech new horizons with my new electric blast furnace and having it just sit there, resolutely un-processing aluminum...

it turns out the big, obvious "place circuit here" box on the controller is not, in fact, where you put circuits needed for a recipe

they have to go in the import bus instead.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

after faffing around on gregtech new horizons with my new electric blast furnace and having it just sit there, resolutely un-processing aluminum...

it turns out the big, obvious "place circuit here" box on the controller is not, in fact, where you put circuits needed for a recipe

they have to go in the import bus instead.

I have no idea what that slot is for

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Maguoob posted:

I haven’t had any problems finding rock crystals at night. Are you using optifine?

I tried Optifine first and it just made me crash.
I'll see if I can cheat a few ore crystal blocks in.

There are other ground particle effects but I see them even in the daytime.
I think they are from some nature mod.
I have double checked those areas at 0-10 just to be sure, so its not like I 'm not seeing particle effects.
Just not the ones from Astral.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I made 14 mining multitools thinking each one became a portal piece to the mining dimension. Oh boy did I get egg on my face the first portal brick I made and saw the durability meter of one of the mining multitools go down. Made me realise I'd wasted a tonne of iron and a bunch of time farming mats for an extra 13 mining tools I didn't even need.

runchild
May 26, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

MFR's liquicrafter was amazing for those sorts of things. Why did Industrial Foregoing drop it?

Rynoto posted:

TE's Sequential Fabricator has an upgrade that adds a tank for crafting as well if you have access to that.

It was in Gregtech: New Horizons, so I didn’t even have access to a tinker’s crafting station yet to hold the other ingredients in place while I filled buckets. I probably jumped the gun on when to build a smeltery, I guess I could have waited until I built a mixer and a compressor. I had a bit of a brain fart and thought I needed a smeltery to repair the iron tool the quests gave me :/

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

runchild posted:

It was in Gregtech: New Horizons, so I didn’t even have access to a tinker’s crafting station yet to hold the other ingredients in place while I filled buckets. I probably jumped the gun on when to build a smeltery, I guess I could have waited until I built a mixer and a compressor. I had a bit of a brain fart and thought I needed a smeltery to repair the iron tool the quests gave me :/

The tinkers crafting table is just regular crafting table with a saw, so you should be able to make that before steam machines even.

i'd also recommend the forestry worktable for that plus crafting a few extra buckets. set it up next to a railcraft water tank and you can batch craft the bucket-needing recipes much more easily.

if you're still playing gtnh and something seems way too tedious pop in here or the gtnh discord and ask about it. there's probably an easier way you've overlooked.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Uhhhhhh, Sano?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

OgNar posted:

Create is amazing. It's like...RedPower from 1.2.5 but way better and for modern Minecraft.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

runchild posted:

Some recipes that require water can be done with a cauldron instead, and are far more water-efficient to boot. Like dough- you can just throw a stack of flour in and use up 1/4th of a bucket.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 28, 2020

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Making a smelter is pretty much the only thing where you have to spend a bunch of time bailing water out of a lake and crafting things one at a time. Also, most villages have incomplete decorative smelteries, which you can and should dismantle and take home. You can use the forge hammer or extractor to turn the seared brick blocks into individual bricks.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

there's the bricked blast furnace as well. that's far worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

there's the bricked blast furnace as well. that's far worse

Oh, right -- if you actually cook bricks for brick dust, that one is a bitch.

Finding this made it a lot easier.