Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Qubee posted:

I'm playing FTB Revelations and have just dug out a huge basement to put a bunch of machinery in it. I'm thinking a power source, crusher (to double ores because I'm tired of using the smeltery). Any advice on what I should start with, and which mod to focus on? Immersive Engineering? I don't even know what benefit these machines will give me, but if you're all able to point me in the right direction, I can get started on making them all and enjoying the easy life. I'd like having an ore storage > crusher > smelter > ingot storage system, as well as one of those storage computers I can just dump everything in, I love the search function it has.

You can do all of that stuff with the thermal suite, which Revelations has a lot of. Thermal's crusher is the pulverizer, and the thermal machines all have input/output sides so you can hook them into processing chains pretty easily.

A good starter strategy is to go chest -> pulverizer -> chest <-> redstone furnace. Set the side of the furance that connects with the chest as "input/output" (mixed blue and orange color in the control panel) and the furnace will pull, smelt, and re-input smelted ores. Things that just need to be crushed, but not smelted, will stay in the middle chest and the furnace will only pull valid items, so you don't need to go hunting to find useful results, just dump your raw ore in the pulverizer input and come back later. Have your middle chest be an iron chests chest so you can upgrade it as you go.

Later you should replace this with a refined storage setup which will scale to endgame for you, including eventual autocrafters.

If you want to cheese power gen, you can use Extreme Reactors and just make a 3x3 reactor (a 1x1 interior that is a single control rod) and it will generate a decent amount of starter power for like 2 ingots per in real life hour. The blocks in Revelation are all marked "(Legacy)" -- you can start 1x1 and expand as you see fit, but be warned a lot of people think Extreme Reactors is kind of overpowered and it kind of is.

If you want to do more work, immersive and thermal both give you ways to process oil but I've only done thermal (fractionating still(s) -> compression dynamo). Thermal also has a decent tree oil starter power setup that you can google because it's kind of hard to explain succinctly. All of the immersive engineering stuff is way more effort than reward in Revelations, so I'd only recommend going down those trees if you really like the aesthetic. The distillation towers do look pretty cool.

Most of the mods in this pack you can use Rf for, except some of the lower tech stuff which needs Mj (stirling dynamo and related) -- I understand there are ways to convert but I've never bothered. You can move everything around with thermal: itemduct, fluxduct, fluiduct. You can craft servos (also thermal) to extract into the pipe, put them on the pipe that connects to something, right click them, and set the redstone signal option to "ignore". Servos will work on most everything and have allow and deny lists that grow with the tier. You can also attach a filter (also from thermal) to a pipe section to allow or deny certain items, which lets you get really granular with routing and is useful for processing drops from mob farms etc.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU