Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Nathilus posted:

Is there any way to stop the game or any of the launchers from putting gigs of garbage on the system drive? If there's some .cfg I can edit that will make .minecraft and all of its poo poo go to D:/ or wherever, that would be really awesome. With all the garbage that gets written to C:/ by games and other apps I'm going to have to eventually partition a drive with more than 100 gigs as the system partition but I'll be damned if I do it for loving minecraft.

This was a few pages back but technic launcher has the ability to install to wherever you want. You can do it on first run or you can go to launcher options -> move if it's already installed.

You have two options for choosing your own install path- you can change the directory of a standard install (meaning that the launcher configuration file is still stored in your user directory, but everything else is moved to your directory of choice), or you can use a portable install (meaning that everything is in your chosen directory but you have to run the launcher executable from the directory).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
On an unrelated note, uh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbcz9_ubhQ0

This is a thing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Enzer posted:

I thought the rendering update for 1.9 got dropped since Ryan got fired from Mojang and is off working on Candy Crush instead and Ryan was specifically hired to work on rendering stuff.. Searge has been going on recently about how they are trying to include as few internal changes.

My guess for the reason they announced a combat update and switched away from massive internal rewrites was because of Ryan no longer working there, they have to either move the work onto someone else currently on the team (I doubt this) or hire another team member or contractor (Ryan started as a contractor for Mojang) whose focused on rendering.

The problem with the 1.8 update is a lot of modders are probably not going to update until they have to, which might be never. There are 3 issues with updating:

- Bukkit used to update week-of and then you'd have players who could get their modded fix with the new features elsewhere (to an extent) and now bukkit is dead so there's no external pressure.
- Between 1.6 and 1.7 there were two major updates that were billed as low-feature internal improvements that would improve performance and the internal structure of the code. Both of them reduces performance in a modded context and the improvements to the internal structure were engineered by grum and dinnerbone to be harder to forge mod because they are assholes who don't want forge to be part of the ecosystem.
- Also, the initial releases of both 1.6 and 1.7 were buggy pieces of poo poo and forge was stuck on those early versions for awhile. 1.7.2 was ESPECIALLY bad and forge was stuck there for a long-rear end time. Anyone who updated to 1.7.2 eventually regretted it. So everyone wants the updates to shake out first.

So now you've got this version that's tougher to update to than 1.6 and 1.7 combined and hey, it's a low-feature internal improvement that's billed as improving performance and the internal structure of the code. And everyone's hated the way mojang is doing blockstates since mojang started talking about them, generally the internal structure of the code in 1.8 is, uh, controversial. And everyone's heard this song before. There is a very real possibility that 1.8 does actually improve performance for everyone, but only because a member of the Minecraft PE team backported a culling algorithm he developed onto the PC. Now CoFHTweaks has made an implementation of that algorithm available for 1.7, so who gives a crap? It's not a great implementation but whatever, its' there. The point is nobody believes in it at all. From a modder's point of view, Minecraft has been getting worse to work with for a year now, nobody believes 1.8 is gonna be the jesus update.

It's probably that 1.9 is gonna be a huge surge of activity, because it's got features that players care seriously about so the number of modders updating just to play 1.9 will probably form a critical mass that places pressure on everyone else. Or maybe it won't and nobody will care until sponge is up and running and there's external pressure once again from an easier-to-update modding platform.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 22, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Unrelated note: if you're playing an HQM pack on anything approaching a large server, you've probably heard about people in parties having their progress wiped. I've been working on Blightfall with Talonos and that's certainly a thing. HQM is a garbage fire with disinterested devs, so I had to make this to fix that bug with coremod fuckery. https://github.com/CannibalVox/NoTimeFix/releases/tag/2.0.2

Share and enjoy.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

ptroll posted:

You're a goddamn saint. This bug completely stopped my group's progress on blightfall, and we were having a lot of fun with it aside from that. We noticed it only happened on shutdown-- was having a pending invite really the cause? How does that even work?

No, the pending invite thing was me fixing a bug in the fix.

The issue is uh, the word I used in IRC was "Seussian".

Let's say you have a completed quest in your book. The quest completion is marked separately for each player for some reason. I'm not sure whether it always marks it under the group owner or for whoever looks at it or what. But let's say you have a quest that's completed but not marked as completed for one or more team members, for some reason. This is a real situation that can occur. For some reason.

Then you shut down the server, start it back up, and it tries to read in the player data. So it reads in a member of the team who doesn't have the quest marked completed for them. For some reason, after loading this player it goes through the quests in their book to see if any of them should be marked as completed, but aren't. For some reason.

So it sees this quest that another team member completed but rewards haven't been claimed for and it says "oh this thing's ready to be marked completed, but it isn't, so let's mark it completed!" So then it chooses right then to save the team data back out. For some reason.

But rather than just fail because the file's locked, first it has to grab all the team data, including the total number of lives of all team members. It has to get this from the team members themselves. It saves and loads the total number of lives on the team to the file, but when it wants to know the number of lives on the team it looks at the players. For some reason.

So it's iterating all the players on the team to get their lives except we're halfway through loading the file so some of those players aren't there. That's okay, when you try and get questing data for a player who isn't stored yet, it just creates a blank player without any data and puts them in the registry and then gets the number of lives from them, which is wrong, because we just made this data up, it didn't come from anywhere.

So then we finally get to loading the teammates and it loads all their data from the file and then goes "oh they're already here in the player registry, I guess we'll just THROW ALL THIS DATA OUT AND LEAVE THEM WITH THE DEFAULT DATA FOR SOME REASON".

And then multiply all this poo poo by the fact that I'm looking at it in the form of lovely decompiled code because these assholes refuse to open their source to anyone

HOLY
poo poo

I loving HATE

HQM

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Haha you would be WRONG, my friend! No one can accuse HQM's data format of being UNDER-engineered. No, HQM's format is binary, but as I learned while chasing this issue, it is extensively bit-packed.

This means that a Boolean (true/false) value doesn't occupy 8 bits as it does in memory, it occupies 1 bit. And it doesn't add padding to get realigned when it hits an 8bit value like old timey sub-byte data did, SO YOU CAN'T EVEN READ THE TEXT IN THE FILE WITH A HEX EDITOR BECAUSE NINETY PERCENT OF IT IS NOT BYTE ALIGNED.

I really can't express how much I hate this mod.

That said, a rewrite is supposedly in the works that has json format data, fixes all problems, shits rainbows. An early prerelease is being used for the latest AS beta and jaded cat says it's real good, but I also know that jaded has accepted the (false) explanation that this progress wiping bug and various performance issues are only a problem for large servers.

To be honest, after dealing with lorddusk, who's the only HQM Dev who even contributes anymore,I don't believe it's possible to fix HQM without open sourcing it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Sistergodiva posted:

I wonder if it's a thing where people who know that they would be left in the dust if they open sourced their stuff are the one that badly needs to have their stuff open sourced.

I don't think it's anything so calculated, I think they're just afraid to expose a job badly done to other developers out of embarrassment. What I wish I could explain is that that exposure and the advice and collaboration that follows is how you get better and your defensiveness is why you're loving up to begin with.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Wolfsbane posted:

I've been running a small NeverMine2 server, which seems to be a mixture of fun exploration and some oddly grindy skill mechanics. I would wait for the next version though, because this version has a bitcoin mining trojan in it, and the guy running the pack won't (or I suspect can't) release a hotfix.

wait what

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The guy who makes that is literally 14 and got banned from Technic Pack previously for falling for a "spam technicpack.net and you'll get frree steam keys!" scam. He threw a fit on our facebook page.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Anyway the point I'm making is that children have terrible judgment.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I am never allowed to forget.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Hey whaddaya know, disabling the pack got him to fix it in hours. NeverMine 2 is back up and as far as I know malware free, but can you really trust that guy? Just a thought.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Strength also made plants take longer to crossbreed in IC2, idk about agricraft. In packs without weeds it may be a stat you want to keep low.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

THE PENETRATOR posted:

it broke when i tried to view what recipes a thing is a part of with nei lol

http://pastebin.com/v50JqZTM

should i downgrade it... how do i ask the creator about this epic crash

Start a money server- he'll find you.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Do I smell a story?

:(

Nothing special, just the guy who took over algox2 spends more time yelling at money server owners for breaking minecraft's eula than he does working on his mod. This is complicated by the fact that the mod's code is LGPL and the new guy didn't write most of it so his rights to produce an ARR distro with the CC-NC assets is questionable.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

taiyoko posted:

What is this? This is a mod/modder's name I am not familiar with.

AlgorithmX2 is the guy who originally made applied energistics.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

SugarAddict posted:

:psyduck: What the gently caress? I'm not big on programming but one of the things taught in programming class is HAVING BACKUPS OF OLD VERSIONS. If this guy has been doing that crap for the entire time, he's just waiting for a power outage while saving and the whole thing becoming corrupted and un-recoverable.

I just want to take this opportunity to remind everyone that gregtech at one point had a crash bug caused by Greg exceeding the maximum instruction limit of a single method.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

GotLag posted:

It's been years since I've touched Java, so what's this mean? Too many arguments in a method call that accepts a variable number of arguments?

A single method was so long, it broke Java.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

McFrugal posted:

Are you using 2.0.3a? I thought the HQM party issues were sorted out with NoTimeFix.

Wylker & Maiden were really key to us getting a lot of stuff fixed up for 2.0.4e, including the NoTimeFix. They're doing the smart thing where there's a 3 week lag time on videos.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Hi, so a couple weeks ago I made a thing that fixed a pretty bad bug in HQM. We found another one, where someone joining your team when you have a repeatable quest on cooldown and they have that same quest ready to claim will sometimes get the quest stuck so it never comes off cooldown. I updated the thing so it fixes both bugs.

https://github.com/CannibalVox/NoTimeFix/releases/tag/2.1.0

Enzer posted:

We were getting similar issues regardless of cauldron, forge or mods. Seemed to be entirely related to the number of players and entities (have 10 or so players in a given area and spawn 15 or so zombies and players start to drop like flies), but I've touched on this before.

So I got a question, where would you guys think I'd be best off asking if someone would be interested in developing a 1 .8 mod under commission? I got a list of requirements I'm working on (mostly ore gen and custom crafting interfaces and recipes that overwrite vannila recipes) that I'd be providing textures and models for. I might have someone willing to do it, but if that falls through, I'd like to know my options.

Getting paid to make mods is the majority of my job these days. I haven't done 1.8 yet though. I guess the existing mods that do the things you're trying to do haven't been updated yet?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is that why you're reverse-engineering HQM to make these fixes? I could never imagine getting that far into it unless somebody was stroking a pile of money under my nose.

I work full-time for technic. We make the platform and launcher but we also release official packs. We're working on officializing blightfall and this new version is gonna be absolutely killer. Probably the best thing we've released. We're not going to let a little thing like the lynchpin mod being an unmaintainable dumpster fire get in our way.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

Out of curiosity, was just about to start playing Blightfall - how far out is that update?

It's hazy, because it's going to be accompanied with hype, have a ton of new features, etc. I'm really serious about getting it out by the end of June. Talonos is killing himself clearing out a ton of bugs and I've got a couple tasks left for it but new stuff pops up every day as he realizes one of his bugs isn't really HIS bugs, so I step in to ASM something. The new version is going to have a lot of cool stuff, like an end-game taint-cleansing machine, a real end to the game that feels awfully satisfying and is probably the most satisfying ending of any "story" minecraft ANYTHING I've seen, a brand new botania questline with some custom junk I contributed, a WAY better food integration with a new hunger overhaul falloff curve, new foods, and golem compatibility for HO wheat/barley, some map improvements like making taint not ruin deserts, better ITT compatibility, fixed extraTiC bow stats, totems of dawn catch up to where they should be when they reload after being unloaded for awhile, a brand new death punishment system that drops your mission outlook rep instead of using HQM's life system, and on and on and on.

The game is definitely in a really good spot to play right now, as long as you're cool with JUST having a great thaumcraft & blood magic quest lines. If you don't want to wait, you shouldn't. But if you're interested in playing it through all the way to the end, and ESPECIALLY if you want to play with friends, I'd consider waiting until the official release, it's just too good. On the other hand, if you're the kind of person who played ag skies a couple times or whatever, the different starting locations adds some replayability to the pack, so that + the new stuff might make you want to play it twice. I'm not real big on replaying packs myself, though, so I wouldn't.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

How freeform is Blightfall? I realize it's the same map with each world but is the quest lineup and resource availability freeform enough to, eventually, reach post-scarcity and do Stupid Things typical of modded Minecraft?

It's more freeform than all other HQM packs and less freeform than anything that's not an HQM pack.

Turtlicious posted:

Is blightfall fun to play as is right now? What's a good structured "tutorial" pack like that?

I wouldn't recommend blightfall as a tutorial pack, because a lot of stuff has been changed in service of the blightfall metagame so like white botania flowers wont' cleanse taint in other packs and floral fertilizer doesn't only produce the flowers that were used in its crafting in other packs.

Ciaphas posted:

Is there a way to give myself creative powers (/tc, /gamemode, /gamerule, etc) in Blightfall? Creating a new world as creative didn't seem to do it.

If I can't /tc aspect ciaphas01 all 999 right at the start I just can't be bothered with Blightfall at all :(

(edit) Nevermind, found the magical incantation in the form of NBTExplorer. Whatever that is. :shrug:

Open to LAN with cheats is apparently the way to do it. This is a weakness in Lockdown and there's not much we can do about it without me kicking off another massive project :( :( :(

Thyrork posted:

E: Please, please, for the love of god technic crew, get the maker of blightfall onto Thaumic Horizons. You can breed pigs that eat taint. You can literally save the world with thaumically engineered swine. :iia:

You guys came too late :( It's way too close to release to stop and figure another mod to work into the quest tree & make sure it's not gonna crash everything etc. Another great reason why we need to improve how the launcher behaves toward pack modifications.

Wolfsbane posted:

I didn't find tech metals a huge problem once you find the caches, which is probably midgame. Before that, scarcity is supposed to be a big part of the whole thing.

Yeah I mean the point is that you go on a Magical Mining Adventure in the right biome, get one ore vein, and then you're set for that metal because until you complete the tech metal quests, you're supposed to buy tech metals with mission rep, not mine them up.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

New question, my flint pick can't mine the not CopperOureclase under the swamp. How do I actually progress? Level up my pick and hope I get lucky?

(edit) Nope, still stuck on hard non-metal. :(

There's no prometheum in the swamp. It's under plains- it actually says that in the quest book but if there's something we can do to make that more obvious please let me know!

EDIT: I talked to talonos & we're going to add a new custom tinker book that lists ore rarities by y-level and biome to help with this. That said when I played, I had a ton of prometheum mining under the alpha dome, to the point where I was like "lol prometheum" when I saw it.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 12, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So we made this:

More pages unlock as you get your hands on different materials. So gathering copper teaches you about tin, gathering prometheum teaches you about ourclase, etc.

Hopefully blightfall will now make a little bit more sense.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you have a some kind of quest book where you can embed images? I could make some serious use of that for Baby's First Space Race, because I've felt like it's always needed pictures.

Unfortunately, it probably means rewriting the entire quest book if you do. :(

Naw, this is the tcon book system from the Mantle coremod, and talonos has written some custom page handlers for it. HQM is too broke to be able to safely extend.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
TFC is the mod that got me into modded minecraft. It has always been totally perfect at what it's trying to do, even though what it's trying to do it pretty spergy.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Sistergodiva posted:

How stupid would we be to start blightfall today? We're really tired of our Agrarian skies map and blightfall seems really cool. I guess a full start would be needed for the new version?

That's correct. We've fallen behind on getting it out but it is coming out really really soon. I wouldn't suggest starting now sorry :(

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
http://www.technicpack.net/JA-EXCCS-004-01

:)

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Krakatoah posted:

Ooooh this is going to be gooood isn't it?

Just wanna take a second to point out that day 2's up :)

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Magres posted:

Yeah the food system is the worst part of blightfall, though if you request seeds a bunch and get 4 kinds of berry bushes and grow them to a dozen of each, you're totally set for food.

It got kind of grindy when I hit the end of the tech, because I was just shuffling ethereal blooms to clear land, but apparently the new update is adding higher tech taint clearing, to the point that you fly around on an airship that clears blight as you fly it around, which is pretty awesome.

The food tech was heavily rebalanced, the diminishing curve is really different now. We didn't end up adding airships- all of our options were a terrible buggy mess. But we added the Dawn Machine we showed a picture of last month and something called the Offering of Motus that lets you teleport a dawn machine with its essentia rig wherever you want, so that should allow you to cleanse large sections of the world pretty easily, provided you've got an essentia factory, when you get to the endgame. There's also an actual ending that feels pretty good when you cleanse the whole map. Running the dawn machine with all the essentia types is actually really cool, it feels awesome to watch this pillar of fire dance around the map turning it into a regular minecraft landscape, you feel incredible.

We changed the death system- we got rid of HQM's heart/lives system in favor of losing 10 rep every time you die. If you die a lot (like A LOT, dozens and dozens of times), it's possible to get a "bad ending" quest where the mission is called off. The "good ending" quest will never unlock in that mode, but everything else stays the same rather than deleting your map or whatever the hell HQM does. The main thing isn't that we give you a game over, it's just that deaths matter because they make it harder to rely on buying stuff from the ship to keep your base afloat. I want to say that the intention is that keepInventory is true as a result, but I'm not sure if that's in the final version.

We also filled out the blood magic questline better & added a botania questline so a 3-player team can each have a magic job that compliments the rest. Botania has things like botania flowers being taint-immune, pure lilies cleanse taint too, and we tie botania progress to exploration by making it so that you can only get a flower color from floral fertilizer if that color of flower was used to make it. So it encourages you to get out into the world and find more flower types at the various POI's. The ore book includes mining levels & a world map showing where you can find ore types, and unlocks new ones in the book as you dig up the ones you've unlocked. In the mid and late game there's a black market that you can use, too. I still think that the initial orefind is grindier than I'd have liked, but it's not as bad as it was.

Blightfall is still a really specific type of pack. I think if branch mining makes you retch, which is reasonable, it's gonna get old before you get to the good part unless you have friends- it's balanced for teams of 3. So if you've got 3 it'll feel tough, but good. With teams of 4 it's even on the easy side since you can mob anything that gets in your way & collect resources pretty fast. If you're by yourself, it feels more like a FTB style pack during the parts where you need to find your first sample of each ore, and scary places like the tainted village really reveal the weakness of minecraft's combat when you're by yourself. On the other hand, it's way spookier, so if you're cool with some minecraft grindiness but want atmosphere, it might be worth it to play by yourself.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 10, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also, too many bug fixes to mention. Not just in our stuff but in the mods too. HQM, for instance...

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'm really glad things are going so well because I also suggested hiring iskandar and this has barely cancelled that out!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Board games have really gone downhill since monopoly and risk came out

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The blightfall save is about 160Mb please take mercy on our poor servers and chill out for a few minutes.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Should uh
should growing one loving tree take an entire stack of bonemeal

If there's not room for it to grow that can happen yeah. That's pretty normal minecraft vanilla behavior, though.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Elswyyr posted:

Now that you're here, I'll badger you with tech support questions. Will the game work OK for multiplayer if I just open a singleplayer game to LAN? Or should I use the server download?

LAN should be fine I know a lot of testing was done by talonos in lan mode.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Reason posted:

Is blightfall supposed to come with a saved world or do I click create new world?

We use lockdown- click create new world and a premade world will be generate dfor you.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't - that's why I've asked, twice now, how I would do such a thing as to set up a small Blightfall server. What am I meant to be downloading and installing? Blightfall itself? Some server utility? And furthermore, what port do I want to forward?

The server package is: http://servers.technicpack.net/Technic/servers/blightfall/Blightfall_Server_v2.1.0.zip

All technic packs that have a server download list it in the bottons on the right side of the pack page. You should be able to just extract it tot he folder you want it to run from and run start.bat or start.sh depending on OS.

EDIT: YOu want to forward whatever port it's running on, which is listed in server.properties after server starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

Excellent. Do I have to do anything in particular to make Minecraft use Hamachi's little virtual network, or will it just work?

My (vague) understanding of hamachi is that it makes it look like everyone's on the same network so it should just work.

Also a chunk of the SMP testing for blightfall was done with talonos & his wife with LAN so there shouldn't be any LAN weirdness.