Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else having issues running OMP after last night's update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of OMP-i, what's the deal with starting tools? Apparently iron requires an iron-level pick to mine in this pack?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Smack enough stuff with your pickaxe and it'll level up, pray you get Emerald/Diamond and you can mine obsidian usually.

Well that's stupid. I'm going to do it anyway.

That should be the official tagline for every modpack.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Are essence seeds disabled in OMP-i? I haven't seen one drop from breaking grass yet.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpactVector posted:

That would explain why I haven't seen any essence ore either. Is cheating the only way to get started on Magical Crops if you're playing single-player? Or does that stuff show up elsewhere?

I enabled them in the config file and now I can kinda see why it was disabled. Find four yellorite ore, use essence dust from the essence seeds to make yellorium seeds, spend ten minutes raising their stats, and you now have an infinite fuel source that can keep up with the biggest reactors you can make. Make some coal seeds and you can make an elaborate big reactor like half an hour after starting the game.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So do you guys just kinda roll with terrible framerates on the megapacks, or is there something you can tweak? I'm getting like 20-30 fps on OMP for some reason, even out in the wilderness.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is slime a reward for any of the quests in Baby's First Space Race? I can't find any slimes at all and this slimy mud quest is just sitting there uncompleted.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RickVoid posted:

As said above, one gives you a slime sapling and another gives you slime balls.

Also this mod is so, so good, but I kind of wish it had the iguana tinker tweaks.

Is it iguana tweaks that shows all your tool stats when you mouse over the item? If so I kind of wish that too.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else getting an error trying to update Space Race?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Oh boy--did I do it again? Technic wasn't refreshing so I had to go to bed without being able to check the 1.4.0.2 update. Give me a minute.

Nah, it was me. My cache was unwriteable for some reason, restarted the computer and it's fine. Thanks for the great modpack.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does Blightfall give you some good instructions on the magic poo poo? I have no idea how thaumcraft works and I've yet to find a good tutorial out there.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, I give up. Where do I find lead and tin?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So what is the intermediary metal you use to mine gold? You need gold to make tool casts for iron tools, so what is the tool you use to mine the gold in the first place?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

President Ark posted:

prometheum and oureoclase

Don't you still need to cast those at the smeltery? What did you use for your cast material?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, Rocko B. I think one of the Bear Grylls quests in BFSR is broken. The one where it tells you to made a stone rod to make torches can't be completed using the directions provided - two stone/cobblestone makes a TC stone tool rod, not a Microblocks stone rod. You can still make a torch out of it but it doesn't complete the quest.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh okay, didn't see the chatter earlier! Thanks for the pack, it's really great for learning about mods you haven't messed with much.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My wife and sister wives finished bfsr, agrarian skies, and as 2. We're looking for a hqm modpack based on finding clever ways to produce ridiculous amounts of resources, like ag skies did. Any packs out there with that kind of challenge?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, quick question. How do I put fluids on a TE filter/servo/retriever list?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

so, uh, Agrarian Skies 2

the entire - the entire - thermal expansion part of the "make machines to make life easier!" quest branch is gated behind you having enderium and an eye of ender

i mean you can make it in a smeltery, and you get blaze powder from sifting dust, but jesus christ

AS2 is weird in that the end-game stuff from vanilla is the first stuff you get.

The real problem with AS2 is that cool production challenge quests were all yanked out from the first one and replaced with the most half-assed tutorial-type stuff that does a very poor job explaining anything. There's the "for the hoarding" quest line, but it's also really half-assed and only in there because a lot of people requested it.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey Rocko, you ever think of doing a challenge hqm pack if you ever get done with BFSR? Something like Advanced Placement Space Race for Gifted Babies.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any trick to disconnecting two adjacent AE2 cables? It says you should be able to unhook them using any buildcraft compatible wrench, just like TE ducts, but it's just not happening. Keeping all separate cables at least two blocks apart is making wiring on different channels a pain.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

StealthArcher posted:

Have... have you never seen cable anchors?

Nope, had no idea! Works great, thanks.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bouchacha posted:

My intro to minecraft modding has been Agrarian Skies 1 and I'm loving it so far. However, I also saw just how extensive the endgame gets and I'm wondering if I should bail now before I invest any more time in it. I read that it gets very grindy later on but what primarily puts me off is just how cluttered and overwhelming it is. For example, hunger becomes irrelevant with a simple mob spawner, a carrot, and one block of dirt (bones > bonemeal > carrot > carrot juice), so why include what looks like hundreds of different foods and recipes? The inclusion of bee breeding and magic wands and whatever seems like the author is trying to cram and showcase as many mods as possible. I guess what I'm looking for is something similar but more "thematically consistent" and something that doesn't feel like a random collection of minecraft mods. Is AS2 any better? I don't know anything else about other mods.

AS1 is cool and good in my book. The production challenges are neat because every one can be done just by grinding, but to get them done in a reasonable timeframe you have to get a little bit clever.

AS2 is weird because all those challenges were left out (besides a few token ones that are really easy), which makes it an extremely halfassed tutorial mod pack. Also a lot of weird choices like putting in endertech but taking out openblocks and extra cells.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Not sure if TE is in that mod pack but if so you can get it from buckets of sludge.

edit: whoops guess it's not in there. Tainted soil?

Danger Mahoney fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 26, 2016

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, it's a little irritating that so many of these mods gate their really cool stuff behind end-game challenges but then don't add any reason to use the cool stuff afterwards. Yeah, you can have this super sword, but the thing you have to beat to get it is harder than anything else in the game, so you probably didn't need it anyway. Yeah, you can have this diamond-detecting mega pickaxe but the resources required to get it are way more than you would ever need otherwise, so you're probably pretty well stocked anyway. Here's a great way to move mana around but getting it is literally the only thing you need to move so much mana around for.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there anything in any mod that will grow a nice flat plane of blocks for me? Like if I wanted a large flat platform made out of something solid and didn't want to place the blocks manually.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This thread is priceless. "Look how stupid this pack is lol. Anyway here's my tips from playing it extensively."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ha, fair enough.

I gave Project Ozone a try because I'm a sucker for HQM skyblocks. We were doing pretty good until I tried out a chance block (wasn't sure what they did). It spawned a couple dozen charged creepers that destroyed the platform completely. Welp.