Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Geeze, over 400 pages later and Sky Den is still in the OP. I'm really flattered! I guess it was a bigger hit than I realized. :allears:

Serifina posted:

Goddammit. I clearly care too much about Minecraft. I need to go play something else for a few months.
For what it's worth, thanks for the AE2 info last thread. I genuinely didn't know you could turn channels off in the config. I've glanced at it a few times, obviously not in enough detail, and never saw that. So thank you!
I did notice you can turn off power drain completely, which is what I do when I play a server with my friends not quite so used to the more complex mods. Having a central depository everyone can just stuff their items into every time they come back to base makes sorting storage and "hey, where did you guys put [item]" so much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Honestly, the best "kitchen sink" modpack I've played lately is Resonant Rise 3 on the ATLauncher. Now I did do a lot of tweaking to it, adjusting some configs, pulling out or adding some mods just to polish it off, but the custom modlist it has for you to pick through when you install it is really interesting. I've put more time into that than any other modpack of late that didn't have like a skyblock-style quest progression (Blightfall, Agrarian Skies, Regrowth, etc). It's fun running through all the different angles that mod gives you.

As for OMP-Sigma, I ended up just going with the Natural Magic pack on the ATLauncher and topping it off a few interesting-looking mods from OMP-Sigma.
I'm still torn when it comes to terrain/biome mods. Biomes O Plenty wore out its charm a long time ago but now I'm not sure where to go. Highlands looks okay, and ATG makes great terrain overall, but they also introduce a lot of potential conflicts, and mods that are reliant on biomes (like ruins) skew badly for that stuff.

Speaking of which, I think I finally realized I hate Natura.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think, to me, it's just a matter of adding so much stuff that has no point whatsoever. Before other aesthetic mods made their debut there was more purpose to having the varied types of wood, for instance, but now the flaws are showing.
It just seems redundant, and a lot of it works very conditionally with oredict stuff, if at all. Giving each tree its own stick/crafting bench/etc seems weird, and so does making all these alternate recipes that yield alternate blocks. 8 netherrack to make a netherrack furnace just in case you get stranded in the Nether? Why not just make a regular furnace? Why do all the berry bushes suck so much? Why have things like coal clouds, which take 9 blocks to make 1 coal? What kind of conversion rate is ever worth that? The glowshrooms in the nether are kind of neat, but ultimately just as pointless.
Then again that would all be fine in my mind except the textures are just so ugly on everything. The doors are arguably the most inoffensive looking parts of the mod but the planks and workbenches and so on are horribly garish. If I wanted to decorate I'd probably just use Chisel or something at this point.

The only type of block I even care about in that mod is the cloud block, which you can put at the bottom of a mineshaft drop instead of water, but I'd still rather use an Openblocks elevator block.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Light Gun Man posted:

Natura could definitely do with a "usefulness" overhaul at this point. Like all those nether trees are neat, but they're only useful for looks and bows, so who really cares? The tree/stick stuff either needs a point or total oredict support. The oreberries are sorta useful if you don't have magic crops available and aren't to a MFR laser yet, I guess. Glowshrooms could definitely be more useful somehow, like doing player vs mob passthrough effects, or maybe smelting into potions, or something. And actually being farmable with MFR and stuff if they aren't yet.
Oreberries are Tinkers Construct, I'm pretty sure.
Natura just has regular berries which restore 1/2 of a hunger point, and nether berries, which give you a potion effect for about 2 seconds.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Alkydere posted:

As long as the ugly overworld clouds are removed (the nether ones work just fine for landing pads if you really need) and the wood is oredic-ed properly I really don't mind Natura.
"I really don't mind it" is sure high praise for a mod. You're right about its mobs, though. What about Imps? Surely you guys all love those wandering idiots and their poison meat, and their not-quite-leather hide.

Turtlicious posted:

I hate using other launchers, can you rehost that one on the Technic Platform?
Sorry, it's too massive to host for me, and too much of it relies on the Launcher's ability to pick and choose mods, which are specially grouped based on themes and dependencies, at the time of installation.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Light Gun Man posted:

That does all the shift clicking but shift hovering seems to no longer exist since awhile back far as i can tell :iiam:
Maybe Mouse Tweaks?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Alkydere posted:

-The igneous Extruder actually makes cobblestone and smooth stone completely freely., just like how a vanilla cobblestone generator doesn't actually eat source blocks. Only obsidian devours magma/water.
I'm like 95% sure that only cobblestone is free, because smoothstone requires a source block or smelting in a furnace to create normally, and the consumed resources reflect that. It's a very minimal cost though, like 20 mB.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It really sucked in Regrowth, when I made a super badass crossbow like that, and then I fought Botania's boss (the Terra guardian or whatever?) and apparently the bolts didn't even hurt it. I could have killed that thing so drat fast if they'd let me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CuddlyZombie posted:

Has anyone played around with this mod? http://adventofascension.gamepedia.com/Advent_of_Ascension_Wiki

I'm a sucker for the idea of dimension-hopping and more RPG elements.
It looks like it's a successor (or spiritual successor anyway) to a mod I played once called DivineRPG. It had a lot of balance issues, and it seemed barely finished in a lot of places. One big thing was the dimensions/enemies were set up in such a way that any equipment not from that mod got obsolete real fast, so don't expect it to play nice with others. That said, if you're looking for weird dimensions and a boatload of enemies and weapons you could probably do worse. I'd say give it a shot, at least.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CuddlyZombie posted:

Has anyone played around with this mod? http://adventofascension.gamepedia.com/Advent_of_Ascension_Wiki

I'm a sucker for the idea of dimension-hopping and more RPG elements.
So I installed this and finally got all the conflicts worked out (mostly removing other mods, like Balk's weaponmod) and then things seem to be going okay until I noticed that for some inexplicable reason my hunger bar was acting as a second health bar.
Anything that hurt me did damage to my hunger meter, not my health. I only lost health if I was hit and my hunger meter was empty. By chowing on steaks I was invincible.

I assume this was a bug but I finally realized I didn't care enough to try digging through to find out what was wrong.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

BlueOccamy posted:

In AgSkies 2 is there any way to automatically pick up items off the ground? Vacuum hoppers seem to be disabled this time around.
I don't know about that, but I'd aim for the automatic sieve from Ex Astris as soon as possible. It's electrically powered, can export items, has an internal inventory, and supports both speed and fortune upgrades. A better investment than a bank of autonomous activators, in the end.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

BlueOccamy posted:

I'm using one of those auto sieves, yeah. I was asking for my mob tower. It's confusing that the quest log specifically says to make those punji sticks and iron spikes but then give you no way to pull the drops out of there...
Honestly, just turn vac hoppers on. It's like how the original Agrarian Skies turned off item nodes to prevent easy, low-lag cobble production.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Turtlicious posted:

No there's a ton modeled, like in the 400 range, and they are emulating the pokemon battle/breed system perfectly, using the same exact formulas from the game.
Cerepol has it right: why emulate that? I guess I like the childlike whimsy and the packrat collectathon appeal of a land brimming with weird collectible monsters, but the combat in Pokemon sure leaves a lot to be desired. Now that you have a full 3D world to explore and all these pokemon modeled in it, all I could think was "why would you stick that dated turn based combat in?"
But then I guess Minecraft's actual combat leaves as much or more to be desired in the first place so hey, I guess it's a bad choice either way.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It really is disheartening that the 1.8 update finally brings some long-awaited performance fixes and none of the modpacks moved to it. I'm sure the "my system can run this AAA game title at 120 FPS but can't run Minecraft" posts are done to death but it really is ridiculous. Even just tiny 2-person servers constantly get tripped up.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Light Gun Man posted:

This makes sense. I had something sitting in there for ages taking more lava up that never seemed to want to melt. Maybe it just did take a shitload, I guess.
One of the only things I can think of that activates the smeltery but never smelts down is most types of dense stone. Stone tool heads, for instance, take 1 degree of heat more than a smeltery can reach, so it just sits in there at "almost done" status and eats up lava, never turning into liquid seared stone. I guess that's so you can't smelt seared stone at an accelerated rate, you have to do it 1 cobble at a time. Otherwise you could just make a bunch of stone hammer heads and smelt 8x as much cobblestone at once.
On the other hand, actual compressed cobblestone from Extra Utilities smelts just fine, I think up to double, so you can smelt like 81x as fast. gently caress the normal grout method at that point.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Alkydere posted:

Thaumcraft, Blood Magic, and Botania seem to be the best magic mods. They're basically esoteric tech mods hidden behind "maaaagic!", though Thaumcraft has an annoying research aspect to it.
At this point I just give myself a cheat sheet Thaumonomicon every time. I don't care at all about scanning the right objects in the right order to unlock every compound aspect, I don't care about keeping enough research points to slowly unlock each item, I don't care about doing that goddamn linking puzzle another 50+ times again. I don't care about any of it. Thaumcraft 4 has so many goddamn currencies, including Vis, Essentia, and Research points.
It's not like the poo poo in Thaumcraft is FREE once you research it. You still have to actually create it with vis and resources and essentia and poo poo. Thermal Expansion doesn't make you collect Ore Points to research machine frames before you can craft them. Blood Magic makes you pay for stuff with blood but you don't need to travel the world taking blood samples from various blocks to learn about them first.
It's just so tedious now. I view it like I do Mystcraft's page collection: Kinda fun the first time, but not something I want to do every loving time I start a new world or modpack.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I was going to post this earlier, but I'm dumb. Can someone break down the whole temperature mechanic in Tinker's Construct for me?
When you look at Tinker's Construct smelting recipes in NEI, there will be a number at the center of the UI which shows the temperature needed to smelt the item. When you leave something in a smeltery that is fueled with lava, that item's temperature rises over time as it heats up, which is what bar is next to each item. All that really means is items with higher temperature requirements take longer to smelt. So really, an item's listed temperature is basically its abstract smelting time.

However, I believe the smelter can't heat any item up to over 800C, so anything that's listed at "801C" (like stone tool heads) will never smelt down. They'll stay at 99% forever and just waste lava as the smeltery tries to stay hot.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I see yet another person here subscribes to the "just throw everything on the loving ground, who cares" school of home base design.

Any time I have a safe area (especially in skyblock-style maps) I basically just don't make buildings. I throw all my thermal dynamics machines flat on the ground in a messy cluster, and then all my Thaumcraft stuff in another cluster, and then somewhere over to the side I'll have my field of magic crops. Just a big mess of devices and special blocks. Who cares. I don't need a roof.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Light Gun Man posted:

The point with the painting machine is that you can make them look like pretty much any block you want.
Carpenter blocks probably has a similar trick somewhere.
Aren't Carpenter blocks tile entities though? I thought they lagged badly. Not individually, but having dozens or even hundreds around your base sure adds up, right?
Do painted blocks work the same way?

Thyrork posted:

Not my base man!
Well then my point stands, just in relation to whoever's outside base that is.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Winners use NPC quest mods instead. :whatup:

Seriously, I'm drat impressed you went to all the effort trudging through that garbage code just to work out a bug they couldn't be bothered to fix in their own mod. Sounds like, in short, that on top of lots of really poorly handled checks, the main problem is that it creates dummy placeholders, treats those as actual players, and then refuses to let the actual players take their place later. This is some mind-bending logic, so it's pretty incredible you managed to make sense of it at all.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

man i wish iguana tweaks wasn't so insanely imbalanced for progression because it has so many other useful features
This is why I generally turn off the dumb leveling system entirely. I love swapping tool heads and stuff like that, but I hate starting off with 0 modifiers and having to dig thousands of sand blocks to upgrade my shovel.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CrazyTolradi posted:

Is there any way to prevent Railcrafts lovely water spawners from generating, short of removing the mod itself?
Oh boy, now this I haven't heard about. What water spawners?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MechaCrash posted:

the mod is actually kind of interesting, once the same premise is implemented by someone who is not desperately hoping you won't notice that their lovely coked-up used car salesman impression and monkey cheese humor is covering for a complete lack of usable information, and realizes that tedious bullshit is in fact tedious bullshit.
Oh my god I'd completely forgotten about the loving made-up units that don't even exist in the game, like talking about the amount of "gibbl" that a compressor creates, and the constant "HAYO!" on every entry.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mzbundifund posted:

Strength = Resistance to weeds. Meaningless if the pack you're in has weeds disabled. Weeds are kind of a dumb mechanic, basically if you leave an empty crop stick planted it has a chance to get weeds on it, which can then spread to adjacent crop sticks, destroying the plants there if they fail a Strength check. 10 Strength = immunity to weeds. If you've never seen a weed, odds are your pack has weeds disabled, so you can ignore this stat. Even if your pack has weeds enabled, just don't be a dumb and leave empty crop sticks planted next to your garden and you'll never get weeds.
The only time weeds really bugged me is when I would set up crosscrops to breed two plants, and then weeds would grow there instead. It's just one extra thing I have to deal with and I lose a single crop stick. No wonder most packs disable it.
It also occurs to me that I don't think you can cheat stronger seeds. Even if you're doing some creative thing, you have to manually grow it all by yourself. Is there any way to start all Agricraft crops above a certain threshold? I might want to make a server that employs the ease of farming that agricraft brings (especially being able to cultivate 1-block pumpkins, cacti, melons, sugarcane, etc) but I wouldn't want to deal with all the crossbreeding stats, and 1/1/1 seems slower than regular non-modded crops. Maybe I'm just imagining that last bit though.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 24, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mr Scumbag posted:

Are RFtools dimensions worth getting into? Seems like a more reliable way of making mining ages than Mystcraft, but I have no idea if the amount of power to sustain them would be worth it.
Honestly even a minimum-size bigreactor can sustain a world made entirely of diamond ore. Probably not infinitely, but more than long enough for you to rush in and take whatever you want.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mzbundifund posted:

Once a minute or so this one spits out a supreme pizza.
God bless America.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Turtlicious posted:

When I add mods to a mod pack, how do I stop technic from removing my mods? (When said modpack updates.)
This is why, whenever I get a modpack updated and tweaked with added/removed mods just right, I always bring it over to MultiMC. It'll be preserved forever, ready to play one double-click away, instead of breaking like Technic/ATLauncher/FTB if there's an update, or the host goes down, or the platform changes.

Also, because ATLauncher and FTB straight up wouldn't even start last time my internet was down all day.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

GotLag posted:

Sorry, I misremembered. It was actually 3,072, as per this page.
Those 192 beryllium cells each require 16 ground-up ender pearls to be electrolysed to produce. Or you could grind and electrolyse 1,856 emeralds instead to get the beryllium. All this in addition to the 6,144 copper ingots, 280 pieces of iridium ore, etc etc.

Fun city!

Edit: also, the 384 chrome ingots required 3,456 piles of ruby dust, each of which comes from grinding one ruby, or spinning 10 redstone in a centrifuge for 350 seconds.
Where are people even supposed to be getting all this poo poo? If this were Equivalent Exchange and you were setting up generators so strong they shat out diamonds every few seconds then maybe, but what's the solution here, just go to the End and run around with a looting sword for hours on end? I mean, it always seems like some of the most resource-heavy mods are the same ones that provide no new way of getting the items they demand. How many mods add new recipes for nether stars? Tons! How many mods add a new way to get Nether Stars? Or even wither skeleton skulls? I can think of maybe two or three, and that's including Equivalent Exchange again.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Demiurge4 posted:

- Vis will no longer reside in nodes, instead it will reside in chunks as aura.
- Aura has a potential and current value, chunks gain bonuses or penalties based on the biome. Jungles will have high potential but have high terra and aqua, deserts will have low potential but have high ignis.
- Vis will move from chunk to chunk based on the differential of its neighbors but only if the difference is large, it's possible to spend and use up all the vis in an entire world.
gently caress no.

Seriously, gently caress that.
I absolutely hated the old method of Thaumcraft, where everything Aura/Vis related was insanely nebulous, and nodes all recharged from each other or not at all, and you could "run out" of vis, and everything was based on this impossible algorithm over the entire world. Sky Den suffered so much from this system that some people actually DID run out of Vis, and there's nothing you can do about it. The new node system in TC4 was such a huge improvement. Nodes were worth hunting down, they were fun to find and to mess with. Now we're tainting them with the old chunk/world bullshit systems? I thought we were past this!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Light Gun Man posted:

TC had the best storage system and progression. And power items, although a lot of those are still around.
I feel like TC3 and 4 dropped a lot of the power items and we never got them back since. Maybe I'm just looking back at the rewards of 2 with rose tinted glasses though. I do however remember that one of the earliest TC3 builds had a magic carpet placeholder and it never actually got added. Guess the thaumostatic harness was our replacement.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
One of my favorite changes in all of TC4 was that alchemical furnaces, and especially Alembics, were finally more straightforward, clean, and understandable. You knew exactly how much you were going to get out and it was easy to plan recipes around this, especially once you finally got a good essentia routing system (or just wised up and used Thaumic Energistics, like I finally did). Combine the simple alembic system with the alchemical construct that can specifically process items and fluid essentia in a smart way over a crucible, and goddamn, things were finally humming! No more wasted items, no more wasted essentia, no more massive amounts of obnoxious flux being irreversibly vented into the atmosphere. Separating them from the crucible was a good idea. The downside was that by not using this method, essentia put into crucibles would actually start to decay almost immediately into base aspects you never wanted in the recipe, but at least there was a method to avoid that entirely. After so many versions I finally liked TC's alchemy.

Now we're tumbling down a dark abyss right back to messy smelters, tiny (and singular) alembics, multiblock furnaces, flux venting, and so on. Right back to all the poo poo I hated and was so happy to see finally, finally gone.
Also void jars. What the gently caress? If it's going to be "dangerous to use" why not just put them in vials and throw those in some deep chest, or a lava pool if you really need the storage space that badly? "We really wanted this convenient way to get rid of having too much of a resource to be a huge penalty instead so here you go, a thing you'll never craft." They just dump it back into the aura anyway so how the gently caress is that any better than just breaking the poo poo in the first place?

What the gently caress is he thinking? :psyduck:

Thyrork posted:

Would any of you hate these changes if they came at the entire research game being axed down to just "Scan a thing, learn a thing."? Too bad that'll never happen.
I'd like that, but I'd still hate these changes individually, yes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Honestly my biggest problem with TC liquid essentia is that pipes seem to clog and backup no matter what, and no matter how simple I go there's always a problem. Any functionality at all requires lots of closed systems and a lot of manual, active management.
My other problem is that aspects are spread out in such a way that there will always be aspects that to get one of, with any degree of accessibility, I'll need to also deal with like 7 arbor or 2 bestia/1 slime/4 air. This is why people need void jars.

Mzbundifund posted:

Then everyone is going to do C, and it's going to be poo poo. If, however, accruing pollution actually gives you access to some cool evil magic items, then that's great. If pollution starts making my wheat farm occasionally produce mutated Screamwheat(tm), then that's even cool. If pollution just makes all my stuff break and get more expensive, then that's garbage.
Yeah, that basically sums it up. If it's clever and fun and opens new options or offers interesting challenges, great. If it's just like IC2 smacking you with damage every once in a while then gently caress it.

Acne Rain posted:

I would like a minecraft mod where trash management is a thing and there are also possums that get into your trash modded in as a mob
But most items thrown out would be inorganic scrap, old tools, unwanted blocks. Food is one thing I almost never throw out, because it never goes bad, so I just keep eating it.

Taffer posted:

There is no mod people complain about more than TC. Yet everyone still plays it.
Here's an idea, don't play the bad mod that you hate that is always getting worse.
That's being more reactionary about this than the actual modmaker, who is literally asking for feedback and criticism.
This is like when people complain about Minecraft itself and people just go "Well if you hate Minecraft why are you all playing it??" We don't hate it -- that's the point. Most of us really enjoy it. That's why we care about where it goes and want to see improvements, and are so concerned over what we perceive to be negative turns.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Goncyn posted:

Has anyone ever tried to write configs for AE2 that completely replace its world generation? That is, crafting recipes for the patterns normally found in meteorite chests and replacing all variations of certus quartz with regular old nether quartz?

I think the root cause of all the frustration around AE2 is that it's a mod whose primary feature is to mitigate a huge source of tedium in the vanilla game -- trying to efficiently store and access all your stuff -- and it does so with an incredibly slick, well-implemented solution, but it's incredibly expensive and complex to craft, which frustrates the desire to reduce complexity in the first place. I would love to try AE2 with some configs that drastically reduce the tedium and material requirements. I tried to poke around in Baby's First Space Race and OMP-i for relevant configs because I heard they tried to reduce tedium, but I can't find anything relevant among all the configs (nothing in the AppliedEnergistcs2 folder and no minetweaker recipes I can find). Can anyone point out what I'm missing about how these modpacks configure AE2?
I run a small server for friends, and it's pretty easy to use Minetweaker and AE's own included recipe customizer to pass up the two major problems most people have with the mod:
1. Presses in meteors you have to hunt down. I remove meteors but leave the materials. Then I add a new way to get the inscription presses, four simple recipes in the inscriber using iron and a block of metal each. I have Metallurgy installed, so each of the four presses can be made with iron and a block of common Metallurgy metal, so stuff like prometheum and infoscolium. This way you still can't get it right away but the method seems fun and distinct.
2. Charged quartz is a problem to find. You can make a charger, which quickly turns regular certus quartz to the charged variety, but you need charged quartz to build it in the first place. Just add (or replace) a recipe that doesn't need charged quartz, maybe more expensive to make up for it.

Those are really the only two early obstacles, so once that's out of the way you're good to go.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ghostlight posted:

I've never had a problem with Charged Quartz, but in my OMPi solo map I've gone through 3 loving meteors and am still missing a Logic inscription. Like, make the recipe expensive if necessary for "balance", but man it's a pain in the rear end having it entirely depend on random chance that sees me spending multiple in-game days travelling and excavating across the map for a simple roll of the dice as to whether I get to do build a thing. To add insult to injury, failure means you get to spend ages digging out the entire useless meteor.
See that's just the thing about really rare random things. Every time you get them early or while doing other things, it doesn't bug you. But the one time you just randomly don't find any charged certus you'll be searching in vain for loving hours.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Am I missing something about the open barrel? It's just a dropper that doesn't need a signal, right?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TheresaJayne posted:

On another note if a mod could look up on NEI/Recipes and assign a value to each block, so a recipe for something needs x points, I think EE had the right idea just not set properly.
Make manually an item,
put it in a scanner,
That is now known,
Put stuff into the main system it gets turned into energy.
you want an item no making sub items just if it has been scanned its now available
example - i make a ludicrite block, scan it now i put 2 million cobble into the system and can pull out ludicrite blocks if i have enough points. Damaged armor etc goes in - and gets turned into energy.
lost your imbued sword not a problem just pull another out based on the template you scanned
That is how to do Matter energy transfer :)
ProjectE, formerly Equivalent Exchange, is this exactly. Every item has a value -- cobblestone and dirt are 1. Iron is like 256. Diamonds are 8,192. After you've obtained an item and used the tablet to "learn" it, you can burn up any item into its raw cost and pull out whatever it was you needed. Dump in 128 full stacks of cobblestone and you could grab yourself a diamond, or vice versa. It's super convenient but basically overrides every other mod once you get it, which is why it's probably best having it as a true endgame thing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, my point is more that modern EE is not the same as it used to be. ProjectE is a more faithful recreation, flaws and all.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Goncyn posted:

This sounds exactly like EE3 as explained in a recent direwolf20 mod spotlight. How is it different?
I haven't played EE3 in a long time but the last time I did, and for like a year before that, it was basically just the philosopher's stone with a handful of transmutations (iron to diamonds, e.g.) and nothing else. I included it in Sky Den back in the day because it wasn't able to turn anything into anything, just work with metals.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's a smooth silky caress straight through the ribcage. That zombie is going to feel so silk touched as its heart is carried out of the exit wound in one piece.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Truga posted:

I think it could be a problem, since you can't put silk touch and fortune on the same thing?

Other than that, I really like iguana things. By the time you max your level, you get the same-ish amount of modifier slots, but also all the free level up modifiers.
Yeah except getting to that point takes digging out like 5 million sand blocks and you hope along the way you don't gently caress up your pick with autosmelt or your sword with Bane of Anthropods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Okay, but you're dodging the point. You understand what I mean, right? Iguana Tweaks can wreck your planned upgrades for a tool by giving it something you don't want that shuts out the possibility of manually adding other stuff, like missing out on sharpness because you have bane of anthropods. Or putting something that actually makes combat harder for you, like fire aspect.
And it still doesn't address the fact you have to dig an obscene amount just to get up to basic modifiers you would have been able to start with.