Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Colorful Portals is my favorite teleport mod. Requires diverse but not-too-expensive materials to set up, can be made with all sorts of frames, can be created in almost any size or shape, can be vertically or horizontally aligned, and can be set up to strings or individual hubs. There's no cost to jump but creating the portal costs XP, which I never really see used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Fortis posted:

MrTJP is implementing a unique power system into Project Red. It's basically identical to blutricity, complete with its own blue totally-not-redstone, electrotine.

It truly is nostalgic; there's only a solar panel, simple generator, a battery box, a proof-of-concept furnace that isn't worth the effort, and promises of things to come.

After trying it out, all I can take from it is that blutricity should have stayed dead.
Truly the most faithful recreation possible, then.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Spice of Life is fun if you have someone on your server who wants to play chef all day and gets really excited when the miners come home and there's a bunch of neat harvestcraft meals all laid out in a little restaurant. :3:

Ex Nihilo is a fun bridging mod but I absolutely can't stand skyblocks that rely on it anymore. The first one or two times was okay. But if I have to sit around waiting for rain to fall/a tree to finally grow/silkworms to infest my one tree/enough saplings to compost to dirt so I can hopefully sieve some stone pebbles, I'm gonna loving lose it. No one enjoys that goddamn part of skyblocks! Skip that part! Or at least accelerate it! Assist it in some loving way, don't just leave ex Nihilo to do all the lifting and make your mod/quest come in like an hour later.
There's a reason Sky Den comes with a prebuilt cobblestone generator and an automator shortly after that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Glory of Arioch posted:

on that note it looks like the redpower 2 dev is making a whole new game instead of trying to keep up with minecraft

http://www.eloraam.com/
Whoa, loving the mid-90s ugly as gently caress warehouse game, can't wait to play it, totally looks fun, looking at a dingy poo poo warehouse with bad lighting makes me think wow that must be a fun game to play, I love it and can't wait. Hoping it has mandatory volcanoes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The totally aimless hunt for ores (even in the "motherlode" areas you learn about down the line) is what turned me off from Blightfall, though I did get pretty near endgame. As much as I can see the work going into it, I don't really want to go back to that.

I also circumvented the hunger system which I hated by installing harvestcraft.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Alkydere posted:

Oh, I know all about node stabilizers hooked up to crafting tables solving almost everything with the stupid Vis system, the pain is getting there.
Honestly, getting a decent vis source and working towards the centivis chargers is so important that every modpack I play that has it, I don't do almost anything in Thaumcraft until I've got that set up. It's actually really frustrating and I'm tired of doing it, but vis is just an absolute pain at this point.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Magres posted:

E: Holy crap I never realized how much centivis tech is a really, really early game thing. I've only ever done it after really heavily developing the rest of my thaumcraft infrastructure. Getting the Silverwood wand to jar nodes for it is kind of a pain but really, greatwood gold wand -> infusion -> silverwood thaumium wand -> node in a jar -> CV tech is not that long of a tech path and shiiiit is it worth it. Though you could also do a Greatwood Gold Scepter, cause it'd have a capacity of 75 and get you there!

If anyone's looking for a really solid everything node, there's one up at 997, 240, 64 XYZ that's got 30 Messis on it, so it'll spit out 5 CV of every type of Vis, 4 if you don't get lucky and it goes pale. A 4/5 CV everything node is a really good node to find in the wild, given that the absolute best you can possibly make is only 12 CV and takes literally a week to make.
Yeah, my big problem with CV isn't really the tech so much (though a few infusions are seriously heavy), it's more dealing with finding a good node to tap. It takes so much to convert that one node is about all I can afford, so hunting for something that has EVERYTHING is basically all I can do.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Carados posted:

There's a really good AE2 mod that adds Advanced Inscribers or whatever they're called that can hold stacks and I think (?) automatically switch to the correct press and then combine, and a crystal growth chamber block that's 6 of them that you can pipe in and out of.

It rocks.
What mod is this, because I want to toss it into certain other blighty modpacks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm 100% in favor of big multiblock trees that act as generators and which you have to grow up. I'd definitely prefer a weird and over the top approach to "let's match soil nutrition to water nutrients!" kind of deal though.

I wouldn't mind if it's overpowered, but then again we're talking about Minecraft Modders. These people will call anything OP. It's so weird seeing things as simple as being able to warp home restricted to very post-endgame tech.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I do like the idea that taint will be more manageable, and that if it does pass a certain threshold and become self-sustaining, you can strategically go in and eliminate these specific structures. Kill the heart and the rest will wither. It's very much like how I wish clearing areas from mob spawns would work.
Also liking that crystals will be available in variable amounts per block.

But I seriously do not like the idea of him bringing back "Aura". TC4 benefited in so many ways from moving away from that system. I don't miss it. It was really hard to keep track of, it was nebulous, it was almost impossible to control, and it let things dry up. At least waiting for a node to recharge is a steady process, Aura was so obfuscated you might eventually just dry up an area and then that's it, you're finished forever.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So are any other recent HQM packs worth playing? People have said Obscurity is okay if you have friends or know the mods pretty well.
Also I guess I didn't realize Crash Landing never updated for 1.7.? Huh.

I'm seeing a few others get a lot of mention (though not in this thread), mostly with popularity on the FTB launcher. Banished, Refuge, Hubris, and Void World to name a few. Anyone know if these are even worth loading?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yes, I tried and beat regrowth, but this was several months back. It might be expanded, but I doubt enough so (like Blightfall was) to make it worth playing again. It was a great little modpack that I never felt dragged on too long. Almost Blightfall Lite, in a way.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

I found Banished to be very unconventional and in desperate need of config changes. All the really annoying mobs in specialmobs are active, and Geists are really annoying too since they spawn right on top of mobs you kill and poo poo poorly-implemented shadowfire everywhere when they die. For once, the Lycanites Mobs present don't feel entirely out of place since you're in a non-vanilla dimension, but they still look ugly as hell.

Banished also forces you to get Aura Cascade crafting up and running before you can use any of the Ars Magica spells it throws at you. The quest progression is kindof hosed up.
Banished is the caveworld one right? I kind of like the 'currency' power system and there's some fun stuff there, it really feels wildly different from anything and I actually really love the caveworld feel. But I've definitely got an AM2 spellbook and some spells without having touched the Aura Cascade stuff yet.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

Does the white AM2 water spawn in the cave system? The quest book told me I could craft it, and that requires Aura Cascade. Or did you get a spellbook from a quest somewhere?
Yeah, several early quests give spells like magelight, dig, grow, create water, and other useful spells, while the first quest category has (somewhere on the right) a quest that trades for a soulbound spellbook, which means you'll never lose it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

The "spellbook" from that quest is just an item that lets you store multiple spells in one item slot. Have you tried casting any of them? It doesn't work! You need to unlock your mana first, which means you need to make an Arcane Compendium, which requires placing a book inside an item frame above some Liquid Etherium, which you can craft from four buckets of water via Vortex Infusion... which is part of Aura Cascade.
I got the growth spell from a quest before I got the spellbook. I tried casting it and it made a magic noise, making my mana and overcharge bars show up, along with an indicator of my magic level/xp. Then I put it in my spellbook a while later and it worked fine from there, too.
I think even in normal AM2 you initiate things by casting a spell, the book only shows you how to do things. I could be wrong but I definitely haven't touched aura cascade at all yet.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've also tried FtB's "Void World" adventure map. The guy who made it is not a native English speaker so there's a few quirks but overall the quality of the writing is fine.
It's basically a more back to basics map based around ProjectE and mass production, similar to the original FtB map, but a big chunk of the early game is about clearing out and re-lighting the floating city you spawn in, which is both kind of fun and kind of tedious. There's like a dozen buildings and each one is loaded with spawners hidden beneath rubble, so once you learn where to look it gets pretty easy, but if you don't move quickly you can get totally swarmed. Make them your top priority, usually under stairways, behind bookshelves, or under conspicuous piles of blocks heaped on the floor.

It's not completely original or remarkable but it's solid enough, and I sort of missed ProjectE skyblocks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You know what would be a way better mechanic? A disposable/one-shot charging mechanic that takes way more power/resources than a charger. At least as a side option to finding charged certus quartz. I once literally had a stack of diamonds before I found my first charged certus, and once you get one you're set on them because you can just charge normal quartz.
Let us skip the whole hunt by supercharging regular quartz at a one-time exorbitant gate fee.

e: This was mostly mining in ravines and the like, I had about 4 stacks of regular certus too.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I know this isn't going to be a common viewpoint, especially for people playing in this thread, but on a server I played with some friends, Pam's HarvestCraft filled a really fun role. A friend of mine would go hiking every morning to various towns and biomes to bring back seeds and crops, then, when she had enough gathered up, built a little restaurant with a decorated kitchen, cultivated a garden in the back of cinnamon trees, fruit orchards, herbs and veggies, and proceeded to make a variety of meals for the entire server. She'd put up menu signs and "meals of the day" and stock individual chests for people to come in and grab their portions, and really loved the complex recipes and the huge variety of foods to make. We were playing with Spice of Life, but only over a fairly short list of remembered recipes (unlike Blightfall's huge list that penalizes you for eating bread twice in a month).
In the end, it wasn't a huge difference. Food is all functionally the same, it's just a matter of how much hunger/saturation it fulfills, and even that's mostly just fixing problems that Spice of Life introduces, without which you could easily just stock up on bread or steaks forever.

But it felt really nice, and she had a lot of fun being the server's cook, no matter how long we seemed to play. And it was always nice to come back from a small mining party to find a special treat like saltwater taffy accompanying a handmade meal. :3:

I know it's not what most people would want or care about, and it wasn't efficient in the way tech mods are or anything, but it was fun for what we played.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Agricraft was changed (or maybe just the default option was), but when I played Regrowth crossbred seeds would inherit traits, so once I got a 10/10/10 wheat seed pretty much all my seeds from there on out were super easy to max out. I could just cross non-mutatable wheat with whatever my new seeds were and they'd max out and I could go back to not caring about the dumb stats.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So having played more, Banished is pretty cool, and gifting spells to the player as quest rewards is a brilliant idea and the whole pack makes the oft-ignored and frequently buggy Ars Magica 2 an actually useful part of the progression. That said, you can probably turn off the EpicSiegeMod that causes enemies to burrow through stone and explode all over poo poo, because I didn't feel like hiding my chests on the ceiling really added anything to the pack, and forcing me to build with obsidian wasn't particularly fun. You don't really lose anything for the pack.
The game also uses a new version of Equivalent Exchange that finally has the transmutation tablet, instead of ProjectE, which is way harder to use and much slower/glitchier, but whatever.

Also Aura Cascade has been growing on me a little bit, to be honest, especially with its various invulnerability amulets and some of the cooler machines.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bishop Beo posted:

Has anyone here played the Void World pack? Is it any good?
It's good and bad. It has a big focus around ProjectE, but is sort of designed around it. In that sense it's very much like the original FtB pack, which was great for its time, and a really original experience.
It has a lot of good points. It's kinda poorly written but the creator is still learning English so I won't hold it against them, and they do a pretty good job considering. Hidden treasure all over the place, interesting premade world design, and the 'meteor' effects are nice. Some of the quests are fun, the NPCs are a nice touch, etc. The two main downsides are that clearing/lighting the world is an absolute pain in the rear end, because every building is loaded with super-fast spawners, and you'll need some pretty good equipment to stand a chance the pick they give you to start makes a pretty good weapon until late game, but you'll want a ranged option too. If you don't beeline for spawners and keep moving, be prepared to get totally overwhelmed with enemies that pour in faster than you can kill them. Over time you get a feel for where the spawners are hidden (mostly behind stairs or bookshelves and under rubble or couches, so get used to clearing leveling anything that stands out on floors). On the one hand every time you clear a building, you feel pretty accomplished, but on the other, there's a lot to clear.

I ended up manually writing in EMC values for some things that didn't have them but should have, which is done easily enough. It's a lot nicer to be able to just pop a full life heart out of your tablet than to have to pop out a quarter heart and craft it up one phase at a time whenever you want a spare life. Luckily this is easily done with the /setEMC and /reloadEMC commands in game and the calculator app on your computer.

There's a lot of cool stuff, including getting to work with absolutely enormous reactors and smelteries.
The other big flaw is that just like the original FtB map you may find yourself doing a lot of blaze rod pulverizing and other cheap tricks for EMC. A single fully upgraded resonant grinder will produce EMC faster than a whole power flower. If you could find a way to automate pumping out blaze rods you'd be set with just that, probably.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If you put an autosmelting lava crystal onto a lumber axe all the wood you chop down will fall as charcoal instead of logs. No time or fuel spent on cooking it whatsoever. You can fill your whole inventory with charcoal in just a few jungle trees, takes like 30 seconds.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I haven't played Regrowth in a hot minute, but I remember sprinklers totally working on Magical Crops. I'm just going to sit back now, smug in the knowledge that you're wrong and my months-old anecdotal evidence is right, rather than reinstalling it and testing it myself. Welpcya
Yeah, there's no definitive proof but I'm pretty sure sprinklers helped a lot for me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Thyrork posted:

With help, I made a rather fancy base a few versions back. Didn't get as many screenshot's as I'd have liked. :smith:
What mod is making all that cool stuff and the lasers in the first two pics?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

EricFate posted:

It does, but with a time limited buff that can only be activated if you research and build the bath and the active ingredient that keeps the bath running. There is a third consumable you can make to scrub away more stubborn effects in advance of their in game timer running out, but it is not cost efficient to make. Honestly, that whole flux mechanic is so stupid that it is better to just go in and disable the mechanic entirely.
I think he's trying to place liquids in the world, not remove warp.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I have to say, as unsure as I am for the vis/aura changes, and as much as the inefficiency of alchemical furnaces seems a poor choice, everything about the research changes sounds fantastic. I look forward to not having to scan every single block/item in the game with every new world.
The autocaster sounds pretty cool too.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, like I get that the argument is that any active mana generators are way superior, so given that, why nerf passive generation at all? If a whole field of dayblooms is needed for 1 exoflame, why would you worry people are going to overdo it? I guess there's this fear that people are going to build a 20-chunk daybloom superfield or something and lag the server to hell, but it seems like a pretty fringe case.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Taffer posted:

Wanting to keep a consistent gameplay experience across servers isn't a bad thing.
"Wanting to keep a consistent gameplay experience" by removing options is pretty much indistinguishable from modders running their poo poo into the ground because "my vision".

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Glory of Arioch posted:

more like amputating lovely gameplay
In which "lovely gameplay" is synonymous with "goes against the modder's vision", which is the entire problem.

This whole discussion feels like goalposts on a treadmill. If it was about balance, it should have been an option. If it was about server lag, that option should have defaulted to withering passives. But now that it's past that and we're to the point where the option itself is removed it's still okay because modder knows best.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Serifina posted:

For the record, Vazkii did set the passive wither config to default to on and initially about two days (In-game), later three. This didn't solve the problem.
What problem did that not solve, exactly? People playing singleplayer and never moving on to active generation, to the point they'd edit the configs and turn off withering? Was that really so common and troublesome the option had to be removed?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Thyrork posted:

Large numbers of passive mana generation gobbles up server ticks, creating lag and instability.
Technically this would also effect single player, as single player is a server now? :raise: Eitherway, that was the issue.
We're talking in circles here. How is this problem not solved by making withering the default, but adding the option to disable it? Server owners too oblivious to the problem would never turn withering off, and owners capable enough would notice the problem if it arose.
How would such a fringe case that falls into "competent enough to go into the ini and change it, yet still wondering what's lagging his server so much" be so ubiquitous it requires the outright removal of the option entirely?

Personally I don't even like dayblooms, and if I could skip them straight to endoflames I would, but I don't see how removing the option because some people might go out of their way to re-enable this, lag their server, and then complain about it was the right choice.

All that said I still think passive gen should be the ultimate endgame because that's what people obviously want anyway. I know if it was even remotely comparable I'd gladly go with the option of huge buy-in for little/no maintenance. That's why I liked compact solars and the like, just because you could set and forget. I was happy to leave that as an endgame option.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mr Scumbag posted:

The answer to the controversy is always that people who whine about what other people enjoy are giant loving babies who should be ignored.
Games are for fun.
I also think that versatility of play should be the guiding concept in mods as it is in Minecraft itself. Which is why I think mods generally benefit from having more things optional, so people can play how they want, rather than removing options.

Glory of Arioch posted:

i mean if you want endgame passive flowers then feel free to farm overgrowth seeds and set your dayblooms on them so they don't wither
Dayblooms are not endgame passive flowers though. They wouldn't wither in the situation you describe but that does not make them an endgame mana option.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The stuff about multiblocks, condensed flowers, etc. sounds really fun and makes me wish Big Trees/Big Plants/Big Flowers mods actually got made because many modders get so hung up on precision infrastructure or the "one right way" to progress through their tech it really hinders what could be a much more enjoyable experience.
I like Botania's effects and methods a lot but I agree that keeping actual numbers invisible goes a long way to adding to the confusion, and there's very little indication of how much mana is actually generating from any given plant VS another. Maybe if people could see side-by-side numbers, to realize just how bad dayblooms really are, even these stubborn folks would move on from them. Maybe that would solve the problem of armies of passive flowers, not this forced withering.

Magres posted:

I feel like every time a modder makes a change that someone doesn't like, they just call it MUH VISION instead of actually discussing why they think it's a bad change.
That's what's been happening though, there's been a lot of discussion, but it's all shut down with people saying it shouldn't even be an option because some people would just want to stay with passives in their single player world or some server owners don't know how to manage their servers (but do know how to change configs).
The whole point is that removing options because some people can't help themselves is a dumb idea. Options in Minecraft and its mods shouldn't be trimmed down because you're worried about people playing it wrong. That, to me, is the perfect example of a modder's "vision" interfering with how people actually enjoy the game.

It's like a person who argues that quicksaving should be removed from PC games for everyone because they personally can't stop obsessively quicksaving.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 8, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Magres posted:

As far as server owners go I think it saves them some headaches to not even have it as an option - if it's an option then everyone who likes spamming passives is going to piss and moan about passive decay being turned on.
Being a server owner means dealing with whiners. If someone makes a big deal out of it, tell them it's not changing. If they're actually, as you describe, just complaining nonstop, and won't listen to reason, kick or ban them. Server owners deal with this poo poo all the time. Botania is not a special case that needs to actively remove options because otherwise some people might complain. If anything, it's caused more complaints. How are people whining for wither turned off any different for people whining for some overpowered cheat mod to be added to the server? Or creative mode switched on? Should we take out tech mod tweak/multiplier options because their mere existence might cause more complaints?
I'm being hyperbolic of course, but "someone might complain to a server owner about it" seems a really weak reason to force something like this. This logic has gotten stretched so thin we're talking about making a mod more rigid and reducing options because of some really specific and unlikely what-ifs that could be much better handled in so many other ways.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Magres posted:

Fair, to all of you. The server owner thing was a bad argument then!

(also vibur you're not pickin on me at all, I knew I was basically poking the beehive with this :cheeky:)
I think you (and others) on the right track about people not wanting to move on from passive gen sometimes, but as has been mentioned, I think the real problem here is actually with the mod's other mana-generating options themselves, not with the passives. It's been brought up but it really is incredible how few options there are that don't involve super-complex setups or completely-manual control. It's weird to me that thermalilies generate more mana than the TNT-eaters, or that leaves are so productive, or that the color-wheel wool-consumer is basically never worth it even if you have the dyes on hand. Everything is so restricted with weird "gotchas" like the gourmalily eating even when full, or so complex to manage like the wool-cycler or the cake-eater, that it's no wonder so many people are flocking to the simpler options.

Wolpertinger posted:

The whole point of botania is to give tools to make rube-goldberg contraptions to generate power
See, this is the whole crux of why I argue options should not be removed from mods: because to me, the whole point of botania is cool nature magic and the power items/effects that you get from it. I don't enjoy the redstone/open crate/whatever automation aspect at all. I just like mana and magic flowers and potions and stuff. A mod appeals to different people for different reasons, and shaving off options or features runs the risk of shutting out fans who are into it for reasons the mod author didn't intend to focus on. The passive flowers withering, in practice, doesn't change how I play, but if the creator were to say "okay, endoflames aren't rube-golbergy enough, I'm taking those out", then I'd be in trouble.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 8, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I guess I don't really get the insistence on removing numbers from Botania. The "no UI" thing I really enjoy because it feels natural, intuitive, and involved. But how hard is it really to like, take a piece of chalk and make increments on the mana pool or something?

You could rank flowers in "daybloom minutes" of mana generated: how long a single daybloom, in full daylight, would take to generate as much mana as that plant in one operation. Or just flip it and show the bottom line of how many dayblooms you'd need to match the active power.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Glory of Arioch posted:

Man, I've used nearly all of these generating flowers without external mods.
Obviously we have different standards because to me you basically just said "no it's super possible and even simple to automate these things" and then laid out a bunch of unappealingly complex systems, and even those require other additional setups unmentioned, like a full rainbow wool farm for the wool-eater.
None of these seem worth it VS a simple tree farm/endoflame dropper setup, especially without knowing how much more mana you'd be making, or how much more involvement is required. Endoflames are super simple, and even done totally manually you only need to check in once in a while. It's pretty easy to see why so many people prefer to fall back on those almost entirely.

My point is Botania has a lot of broader appeal. It's not solely "a Rube Goldberg mod". There's certainly that aspect to it in regards to some of the higher mana generation, but there's a lot more to Botania than just the flowers that generate mana. And some people, like me, are mostly in it for those other reasons. So again it comes back to this worry that Botania is restructuring and doubling down on this one feature I didn't really care about to begin with, making it harder to get to all the stuff I do like.
Thaumcraft is a good parallel: I don't use Thaumcraft golems for pretty much anything, and all the complex possibilities for them I just don't really get into. But I'm totally allowed to pass over golems. They're not required. If Thaumcraft were to update so that everything was gated with golems, or that clever golem setups were required to generate vis in the first place, some people (especially those who really like the golems) would be into it, but I'd just feel shut out.
I just don't want Botania to narrow its appeal, because if it really is about these setups I feel like I'm on the fringe for just wanting the cool portals and potions and wands and stuff.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Glory of Arioch posted:

What I don't get is the "appeal" of Botania past the Rube Goldberg stuff.
I'm in it mostly for the magic stuff. This is just pointing out the obvious, but Botania has a lot of stuff in it other than just the flowers that produce mana.

The rods/staves are cool. The potion brewing is cool. The special decorative blocks are cool. The alfheim portal and all its related material is cool. The horns and drums, the special block that turns on when you look at it, the abstruse platforms, the endgame items you get from the dice, are all really cool. The functional flowers are pretty neat, and while many of them are designed to help automation, many others are useful in and of themselves. Hell, I even think a lot of things about the mana-generating flowers are cool, from the diversity of their functions to the actual implementation in things like how the mana and spreader systems work, even the pools themselves.
I just don't care about setting up elaborate redstone/hourglass/dropper/crate/crafter trigger systems to automatically keep them fueled.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm learning a lot, not least of all how much a significant difference this would make if I knew these numbers in-game. Seriously seeing stuff like the cake-eaters being so good for mana that's delivered almost instantly is really a game-changer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also looking at these numbers one of the biggest things that jumps out at me is how incredibly weak the thermalily is. I always thought it was a big step up from the endoflame but it's not even close.