Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Turtlicious posted:

Has anyone used HQM to make tutorials for the really popular Tech / Magic mods?

Baby's First Space Race has a pretty comprehensive quest book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mr Scumbag posted:

I wish someone just made something like openblocks elevators with the three dyable nodes like ender tanks so you could place them anywhere, tune them to each other with dye, teleport at will and just forget about it.

I really miss Runecraft for this reason. Teleporters were made with a four-block signature, which could be anything but dirt or smoothstone. Free transportation, total minimum cost eleven cobble and one plank.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Sistergodiva posted:

Playing agrarian craft with a few friends. We didn't get any chickens from our eggs and still working on getting eggs from bees. Any way to get humanus/mortuus/spiritus scanned with thaumcraft without using a research table? So frustrating not being able to progress, since we split the mods up a bit between us. Heard that something in the farming quest was supposed to give chicken spawner eggs, but I don't want to do all the quests for my friend who is taking care of the farming, anyone know exactly what the reqs for that quest it?

In AS1 you can make chicken spawners from arrows in the alchemic chemistry set. Each one is 200 LP, or one heart of damage from you. Make one and autospawn it, or chug a regent potion and hurt yourself for a shitload of LP.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

axelsoar posted:

Just curious, would it be possible to make a 'bag' to hold a lot of 1 item, that places one of the block when you right click and opens if you shift+right click? Maybe it doesn't even need to be operable with a proper inventory, just have it turn them into a stored number that iterates down when used, and shift +rmb just pulls a stack out, or what is left if it has less than a stack.

Direwolf uses something like that, it shows up as /dev/null. No idea what it's from.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mzbundifund posted:

I had decent luck with random bags, but abysmal luck with mining. I literally could not find lead for hours, so I requisitioned my one free leadstone energy cell and pulverized it, converted one of the lead ingots to nuggets, and used those nuggets as seeds for the thaumcraft alchemy that to transmutes metallum and ordo to lead. I've still never found any ore, I'm getting all my lead with just infinitely cloning that original lead nugget.

This is the most :minecraftmodding: thing I've read in a while.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

TyreForHyre posted:

Man That's another nail in the coffin for Open Blocks for me. I think the only thing it has going for me now is the XP shower/grate which plays nice when you need quick and easy mob essence for MFR.

Don't forget elevators. I haven't found any easier ways to move between floors.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

I was wondering how long a competitor would take!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Bhodi posted:

Bonemeal for botania. I forget what they are called, but they're green bonemeal.

Floral Fertalizer

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Blind Duke posted:

Unstackable materials suck balls to craft with and milk/water make me want to go vegan in food mods. Some system for getting stacks of milk/water sources for crafting food, or a dummy item in the crafting station that automatically drains from a nearby container for crafting would help immensely.

HarvestCraft's fresh water and fresh milk items are my favorite way of dealing with this. Just craft your bucket for four units of the "fresh" ingredient that stacked normally. I always just made a liquicrafter for each version and filled a barrel just so I didn't have to gently caress with it.

quote="Serifina" post="451515888"]
My only request for a new food mod is please don't go too far overboard with how many new crops you add. HarvestCraft adds like 8 billion things and some of them are utterly worthless or we have 500 different versions of the same exact food. When you add a new crop or other new foodstuff, please just ask yourself if you can add a meaningful number of new, final food items with it, and not just one more variety of this food other items already make.
[/quote]

Dunno if you ever saw it, but Pam was actually taking donations/commissions for HarvestCraft. If you paid X amount you could ask for a new food with the current ingredients, or for more you could commission a whole new plant for the mod. That's the main reason it got so bloated. Still doesn't excuse the bloat, though.

Blind Duke posted:

I want a banquet table that makes miyazaki films blush in that food mod

Apples, Milk, 'n Tea is super super pretty and a friend of mine has been making dining rooms like this.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I found high level blood magic pretty easy in agrarian skies if you played around with deep tanks. Use an altar with a bunch of sacrifice runes and a well of suffering ritual, combined with a bunch of runes of dislocation pumping into a tesseract. The tesseract goes into the deep tank, which empties into your main altar, which also had a shitload of dislocation runes in it. I got to the point where I made an entire stack of nether stars all at once in like ten seconds because I vented almost my entire giantass deep tank of blood straight into it.

Has it changed recently? I haven't quite hit it in Regrowth yet.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'll probably end up mentioning both, but the liquicrafter is novel for when you don't really have power generation even going on yet. Then again, nobody's usually making 64 blocks of butter without a powered rancher anyways. I have to see if anything I have in BFSR make clocks easier, or if I will have to explain redstone shenanigans.

I use liquicrafters even after I've got a reactor or whatever up. Not having to run power to where you want to make stuff is super useful, and if it's making a stack or less I usually just hook it up to a lever. If you have Extra Utilities it has a clock that pulses every half second or so and is usually good enough for Pam's salt and fresh water crafting or whatever other long-term poo poo you have going.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Hey Rocko, have you considered Agricraft for BFSR? There seems to be a lot of packs starting to include it, and it seems like it would be a pretty easy thing to teach - one quest for making Crops, one for crossbreeding a specific plant, one for making an irrigation system, and one for. . . resource crops or something? I dunno, they were useful in AgSkies 2.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mr. Peepers posted:

In BC's defense I am complaining about it in the context of Regrowth, where the skewed tech and material progression causes some wonky issues, like diamond and redstone requiring railcraft steel to be able to be gathered.

I'm playing Regrowth right now and I've got both diamond and redstone without making a single piece of steel. What recipes are you seeing?

e. How do I get Storage Drawers to interact with JABBA barrels?

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 27, 2015

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Doesn't BFSR have Mekanism? I remember Mek teleporters being pretty good.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Maybe see of you can disable everything but intra-linking books? The portals are actually really nice.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Bhodi posted:

I actually ran into this issue myself and hunted it down; basically it could be considered a bug in HQM - detection doesn't properly automatically register multi-step quest parts past the first properly for some reason. It's on my mental checklist to avoid, along with crafting quests, when possible, simply because of this annoyance. If you have individual quests gated behind each other, it seems to "detect" all quests at once, so if you had, say, a crafting table behind a quest to make wood planks, and another quest behind that that uses the crafting table, if you just made the third item right out you'd be able to "complete" past all 3 quests one after another even though the first two aren't in your inventory anymore. But whatever's doing the detection in HQM is only checking the first part of a multi-step quest.

This is probably why I haven't been able to unlock the diamond quest in BFSR. It's still stuck at 2/4 required quests, despite having everything else done in the vanilla and tinker's questlines.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
A friend of mine got me a copy so we could co-op it. My impression was that it's a really cool game with a bunch of good ideas that really does play like a mix of Minecraft and Factorio. The main problem is there are vast gulfs of tedium between the cool teching up bits, and there's really never any risk of dying unless you're trying to speed things up.

Example: I decide I want to go mining and get some ore to make stuff.
  • Digging anything takes power from your suit, so you have to run back to base every five minutes.
  • When you find ore, you either spend a while staring at it and getting mainly useless rocks with the occasional ore, or spending all your energy in 5 seconds for 5 ore.
  • Before you can utilize any ores or even figure out what anything does, you have to scan it. It uses way too much power from your suit.
  • Mining machines are powered, but I was only able to make one generator. You can power the miners from your suit - they hold a maximum of about 500 power when your suit starts with 200.
  • Smelting ores takes a while, even with the tier 2 smelter you start with.
  • Making a tier 1 smelter requires five of an extremely rare resource that only spawns on the surface.
  • Making simple poo poo like a battery to double your suit's energy storage takes way too many resources. I spent over an hour trying to get enough stuff to make one battery pack and didn't manage it.

It's a cool game with some really good ideas, but right now it's pretty much gregtech.exe.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

SugarAddict posted:

and they also stack.

wait what

How big an area does a sprinkler water? I thought it was 7x7 but now the particles are going to 5x5, am I just dumb?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

SugarAddict posted:

Smeltery drain -> filtered fluiduct -> casting basin or table. You hook the fluiduct directly to the drain, not to a fauset, then you set the fluiduct to extract and power it.

What I ended up doing in AS1 was going smeltery drain -> filtered fluiduct -> casting basin -> fluiduct -> casting table. If you had a bunch of metal it would fill the basin and harden while also filling the table. The blocks got autocrafted into ingots before storage, IIRC. We eventually had to upgrade to using resonant tanks before the casting basins to get a buffer for the fluid, or it would back up and we'd fill the high oven. It's probably not as much of a problem with a smeltery of any sane size.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Also 4x earth essence converts to 32 cobble. gently caress having a block breaker.
Though I didn't know about stripes pipes, so thanks. I was looking for a block breaker for some reason or another.

vv Good point, oops.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 5, 2016

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Goncyn posted:

I have to apologize to KingLemming for the things I said months ago about the crafting recipes for Thermal Expansion. Now that's I've properly played with Thermal Expansion + friends, I think they're among the best-designed mods out there. There's a lot of content and interaction among the machines without the sort of runaway complexity or rampant micro-crafting I was fearing. The recipes are only a couple steps deep, and they're logical enough with few enough basic materials required that I've already started to memorize them. Finally, the servo/filter/retriever duct system is amazing. I honestly don't think EnderIO compares favorably in any of these respects.

I actually feel the opposite, in that I absolutely hate the servo/filter/retriever system. Making them is a pain in the rear end and clogs my chests with nuggets, then I have to go and spend enderium or other annoying-to-make materials on loving servos to make them go at a resonable rate or get at places to upgrade them and aargh just give me back my pneumatic servos and crescent wrench.

OTOH, trying to ditch TE pipes got me to finally play around with Transfer Pipes from ExU. They're actually pretty terrible if you try to use them for pipes, but at least now I know!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Power Crystals was the best modder. Anyone know what happened to him?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
If you need salt in a skyblock use a liquicrafter. It doesn't take any power and you can set up a salt and a fresh water crafter on the same Redstone clock.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Taffer posted:

Yes, hundreds of MB of RAM. MC is always a mess with memory, but decocraft is exceptionally bad.

Reading this thread and the Roguelike thread is always a little weird. Other games take 6-8 GB RAM and things like Skyrim mods will eat as much as you give them, but Minecraft's "hundreds of MB" is to much!!!

I get that it's because Minecraft's memory management can be charitably called a dumpster fire, (and a lot of people who play roguelikes would upgrade by switching to an actual toaster) but I always enjoy seeing these posts.

For actual content, has there been any rumblings about a TE release for 1.9? I'm thinking of compiling a modpack for shits and giggles, would I be better off waiting?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

AceClown posted:

I'd say HQM kinda made the whole feeding of the beast thing a bit redundant, agarian skies quests towards the end sort of fill the niche.

I did enjoy the giant pyramid from FTB Insanity SMP Classic or whatever bullshit it's called now, though. HQM is great, but I really liked turning stuff in by just chucking it in a hole in the ground. It made the whole thing feel more impactful, you know?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

McFrugal posted:

So uh, it looks like Better Questing does not give modpack authors the ability to update the questbook in a pack. Once a world is made, BQ doesn't care about the json file in the config directory and exclusively uses the json file in your saves, which ALSO tracks completion data and thus can't be edited easily by copypasting sections from a new base json file.

This is really really bad.

I guess this makes sense if the author wanted to avoid the quest book resetting that happens when people update HQM books, but now you can't update the book without making a new world so uhh, good job?

Hey Shukaro, how's your quest replacement thingy coming along? :v:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

McFrugal posted:

HQM books generally don't reset when updated. If they do, something went wrong.

I know they're not supposed to, but it seems like every time one of the HQM packs this thread loves updates somebody has a problem with their progress getting reset. It's a bug, but it's a pretty persistent one.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Wolfsbane posted:

In case anyone else has the same problem, the solution is that cursed earth spawns wither skeletons. I found this out by building a cursed earth spawner in order to produce mob essence to power the skeleton spawner I built first.

Wait, cursed earth spawns wither skeletons in any dimension? I'll have to keep that in mind.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Ferret Business is starting to annoy me with its ore spawns. I've gone though two chunks at y=10 and haven't seen a single diamond, and only four ferrous ore. I've got plenty of redstone though!

And I just found a 18-diamond cluster literally one block diagonally from where I was mining. Of course it would be right after I went whining on the internet about it. :suicide:

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 2, 2016

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Fayk posted:

For what it's worth they didn't seem super rare to me (if anything, emeralds seem way rarer than diamonds to me). Quarry time?

That said, remember you can get diamonds via Vouchers/HQM. So if you have anything to let you get vouchers via research like a mob grinder, you'll definitely have some diamonds handy.

Yeah, I'm probably just getting super unlucky, a friend of mine confirmed they spawn at normal rates in the normal place. I'm going to try to finish up a culinary generator or two and use that to set up a mob grinder to start getting some vouchers. There are also like four roguelike dungeons near me that I could go raid if I really need the diamonds.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

bbcisdabomb posted:

Ferret Business is starting to annoy me with its ore spawns. I've gone though two chunks at y=10 and haven't seen a single diamond, and only four ferrous ore. I've got plenty of redstone though!

And I just found a 18-diamond cluster literally one block diagonally from where I was mining. Of course it would be right after I went whining on the internet about it. :suicide:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Fayk posted:

Yeah those BR values were what I Was talking about a few pages ago. I haven't gone back to BR since I discovered how much power I can get out of Endergenic GEnerator setups (but seriously I'm still missing a mechanic or something when I try to make my own design, I'm still loving something up royally)

What are you using for getting ender pearls? I've got five ender lilies so far but they don't produce anywhere near fast enough, even planted on end stone.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Fayk posted:

It's also useful if you go down the path of fish breeding, . . .

. . . but why would you do that?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The mega packager is also used to fulfill contracts, which can actually get some pretty decent returns of coins/badges.

I find it only works if you have the thing you're filling, i.e. the contract or the crate, in the upper-left corner slot. The rest of the stuff goes in the other slots without stacking. So if you have the Cheap contract that requires 5 diamond nuggets and 50 emerald nuggets, you would have exactly 50 slots with emerald nuggets in them and 5 slots with diamond nuggets. If you have 51 slots of emerald nuggets, it won't work. Then you can pull the filled contract out of the output slot.
If you have multiple of the same contract, you can put everything in at once, just like a huge-rear end crafting grid. That's all the packager is, really.

For crates, it's basically the same, but you have to have at least 100FMC worth of crap in a crate to craft it. If you have 20 fence posts in there and a crate in the upper-left slot, you get a 100FMC crate. I think you may have to have an exact multiple of 100, I dunno I've never tried it.

Once you have filled crates, you can combine filled crates directly in a normal crafting grid but it's a little finicky until you hit 1000FMC. There's no 800FMC crate, IIRC, so if you have a 500FMC crate and three 100FMC crates you won't be able to shove them together.

TL,DR: The contract or crate you're filling goes in the upper-left slot of the packager. Don't bother with making crates of less than 1000FMC, it's a pain in the rear end. Don't use the mega packager for crates of 1000FMC or more.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Falcon2001 posted:

What sort of renewable systems are people using to generate FMC?

I play Minecraft very slowly, but compressed cobble can be used pretty well. 3x gets you 1500, 4x gets 3500-ish. Mob drops can also be used if you have a grinder setup.

If you have a surplus of RF, you can also go from cobble to gunpowder and crate that.

Also see if any food items have FMC - stuffed eggplants should be pretty good, or hamburgers.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

bbcisdabomb posted:

I play Minecraft very slowly, but compressed cobble can be used pretty well. 3x gets you 1500, 4x gets 3500-ish. Mob drops can also be used if you have a grinder setup.

If you have a surplus of RF, you can also go from cobble to gunpowder and crate that.

Also see if any food items have FMC - stuffed eggplants should be pretty good, or hamburgers.

Quotin myself to say stuffed eggplants don't have FMC, but vanilla foods do, so making bread is good for 25/FMC each - using a SAG mill and running that flour through a redstone furnace with the food doubler upgrade means each wheat is worth 100FMC for a bit of RF.

Gunpowder is also 500, so a few upgrades on your production chain can really get some income there. It's significantly cheaper than all the redstone you need for a Extra Utilities cobblegen, too.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Falcon2001 posted:

Alright. Will try and remember how to set up a spawner system :\ Cursed Earth has spoiled me. Might make a trip into that roguelike dungeon.

Precision sawmill to get sawdust, four sawdust per cardboard box. Get two smallish backpacks, fill one with the empty boxes and use the other for holding the boxed spawners. When you get to the roguelike dungeon, box up all the spawners and put them in the floor of your spawn room. Run redstone lamps in the ceiling so you can stop the spawners whenever you want. Hook up Openblocks fans along the walls to push everything into the range of the grinder/spike/other killer.

If you can hold off until the lower levels of the dungeon, there are probably a few creeper and enderman spawners to grab, and maybe even a blaze spawner. You'll get plenty of skeleton and zombie spawners in the upper level.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Anything I missed on how one could turn in the Ferret Shinies stuff automatically? I'm getting enough rotted bones to keep turn in every time it cools down, as long as I remember. I'd rather have it go automatically.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I'm so goddamned bad at Ferret Business, much as I love the concept. How the Hell do I use bags of coins? I can't put them in the alloy smelter to get coins or with tokens to get vouchers, I can't put them in a SAG Mill to get coins, can't craft them to break them open for coins...

Hold them in your hand and right-click. I don't think opening them can be automated, but you might try an autonomous activator or the ProjectRed item-user thingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Potato Salad posted:

Have they started developing a C# client that's more than the Minecraft Portable/Console featureset?

Yes and no - the C# client is the MCP codebase, but anything they would add first goes into MPC first. So when the update finally comes out that unifies all three codebases, it won't be anything new to console or portable users.

As for modding, all I got from the dev I was talking to last PAX was "there's some cool stuff that Forge is doing that I'm looking into but I'm not allowed to talk about it", so that's both encouraging and terrifying.