Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I haven't played this in like 2 years, what are some rad mods that make the combat not suck dick and moving around faster? also anything for making absurd railways is good too. BTW atleast had the cool thing with being able to use pullies to bring train tracks to higher levels, even if the rest of the mod was utterly retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Guys seriously I wanna get into this again but I'm only really interested in making trains and moving really fast. (and maybe submarines too if those are a thing)

What version is considred the best to use currently, also? I don't know much about how things have progressed since I've been gone

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I was curious, did anyone make a tool for easy means of creating new 3D graphics for the game(characters, monsters etc)? I remember the only way for a long time was defining cubes directly in JS, but god, I don't wanna have to do that just to make something fancy.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
At my wits end here, trying to install minecraft forge or optifine keeps leading to NullPointerException regardless of what version of java I install. I can't run either installer, and I'm finding zero answers on how to fix this problem. Any ideas why this is happening?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Black Pants posted:

Hm looks like we're both attempting a similar thing (also lol at Minecolonies averaging 2 alpha releases a day lately) except that I'm focusing more on literally every possible building-related mod and have Mekanism and IE, but am eschewing BM and dangerous enemy mods because they tend to poo poo up servers from experience. (I don't know about how that'll go these days or how that depends on server though)

How are you trying to install Forge? A launcher like MultiMC or GDLauncher will do it for you.

using GDlauncher I can install forge but I can't install optifine. merely dumping the .jar for optifine in the mods folder will not load it at all, and attempting to run it and pressing either install or extract nets me this:

I even attempted to go though commandline like suggested a bunch of places, including with GDlauncher instance's included java runtime. nothing is working, and I can't find any info on how to manually install via opening the jar as an archive and dumping out the contents.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Rynoto posted:

So maybe a stupid question but have you double checked to make sure you're using the correct version of optifine for your mc + forge? I've never had optifine fail to load expect when mismatching.

1.16.4, I made sure of this. these errors show up when I simply attempt to run the .jar, and again when I attempt to press any buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm not using a mod pack currently. I'm just trying to get things started in a base game for now, and apparently that's not easy for some reason. It seems like GDlauncher is finally detecting that Optifine is in the mods folder, but it's not being loaded by forge that I can see. does it just not show up in the mod list or something? how do I know it's running?

E: if I'm honest, maybe I should just run with a modpack. What's a good one for adding new tools without making everything require an encyclopedia's worth of wiki to use, as well as adding new exploration options?
E2: oh, okay. Technic Launcher won't install, it just sits in a loop at launching the installer. Java sure is wonderful.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 30, 2020