Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Hm, the mod list still has 1.4.6 mods like liquid metal

Really instead of anti-recommendations like buildcraft, it should probably be reduced to the few people use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I recommend the omps very hghly
Not only do they have a lot of mods, but there's thought put into their selection. Plus it they actually have interesting world structures and dungeon loot, a rarity.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Yeah looking through the modlist... not only does it have IC2, Forestry, Buildcraft, AND railcraft, it has at least THREE mods for terrain generation!!!!

There ARE some interesting mods in there I have not seen elsewhere:
Catwalks: Build a walkway/ladder that has a gaurdrail but still is only one block.
Modular Turrets for TE
Inventory pets: Instead of a pet with a bad ai and that follows you in the overworld you and ineveitably dies due to bad collision detection, you.... keep a pet in your inventory????

????????????????

but you also have this poo poo coming for you on the overworld

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is it me, or is one of those pets a nether portal?

yeah, you go to the page and they're all lil minecraft things

Fortis posted:

I found this just the other day and it's actually really cool. Each pet gives you a buff as long as they're in your hotbar, and they eat certain items in your inventory every so often (each one has a favorite food). Their durability never wears out as long as you keep their favorite food in your inventory while they're active (in the hotbar).

Looking over the page now that I'm home, it looks fantastic but right now I'm kind of well established in the modpacks I'm playing. Maybe later.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
anything changing for omp sigma?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
honestly I was down on Iguana tweaks but when I rolled with it I ended up upgrading my flint pickaxe to ardite mining level before I had even gotten my base built.

The frustrating part is that I had only recently figured out how to make the tinker's bow into a murder machine and you cannot really do that immediately with the tweaks on.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Well I never made a tinkers bow and arrow before because I thought that refilling arrows would be annoying (I imagined I'd have to recraft arrows individiually to get more and have to reapply modifieers)

But in recent versions of TC at least, durabillity of your ammo and how much ammo you have's the same thing.

So use a combination of arrow parts that gives you a decent number of them to start, add a moss ball and a poo poo ton of quartz, and you have killer arrows that never run out ever.

Again dumb and obvious once I had never tried it.
And this doesn't quite work out in Iguana tweaks because numerous arrows = weak arrows to start with, so you're stuck with some lame poo poo until you manually level up a modifier slot or two. (you probably need one slot of moss + 2 or more for quartz piles)
Best idea is to make a mob trap of your own liking and plink ineffectually on them until you level your arrows up.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 11, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
So why does the guy who makes tic like slime so much

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Well the mod is about making tools by carving and forging them and also adds bizarre floating slime islands, seems a little out of theme.
But I think with bows its just that those seem to be a work in progress since material qualities would affect such a tool so much differently than all the ones that just hit things.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The thing with tools is Iguana tweaks
You can just turn it off by editing the configs.
The tools you can make generally start as poo poo but "level up" when you use them, which gives them new aspects and possibly slots to modify them and in the case of picks raises mining level.

I have a flint pickaxe that can mine ARDITE now, and it levelled up that high just getting materials for my first base and first few machines. But generally building a smeltery's the way to go for things.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Mzbundifund posted:

Botania's Vinculotus flower is pretty great for them too, whenever an enderman within a large radius teleports, the Vinculotus forces them to teleport to the flower. You might not be able to hit them with your crossbow, but you can still shoot them and force them to teleport into whatever nightmarish Enderman Hell you've constructed.

If your using botania, it has a sword specifically for killing e men in one or two hits.
Another reasin why botania's the best.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Turtlicious posted:

OMP-I is taking forever to load, is that something new? Or is there an issue? It's been about 30 minutes now, so I'm thinking it's something with the update and everything having to initialize once?

It should not take 30 minutes, it works fine for me and my computer's not great.

and there should be a progress bar telling you what's happening.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Yeah you should probably see if you can give more info because it runs and loads just fine for me and stealtharcher is looking for all the feedback he can get.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
where are hamsters in omp-i, i've never seen one

E: Also is there any way to place lava in the world automatically besides dispensors in omp-i? What's the simplest way to automate a Thermalily farm?

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 22, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Ciaphas posted:

:stare: That thing is cool as poo poo and kind of makes me want to do Thaumcraft again.

If it weren't for the damned research thing that is (or dealing with warp for not dealing with research) :argh:

Why use config to turn warp off completely ("wuss_mode") and the cheat sheet on?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Oh right. Well if you want eldritch, just quit after you get the cheat sheet and then wuss mode back off!
I guess you would then have to do the eldritch research. I don't think there's any cool machines in that tab but w/e

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I would like a minecraft mod where trash management is a thing and there are also possums that get into your trash modded in as a mob

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Thyrork posted:

Remove(The two conflict, so do it!) CoFHTweaks-[1.7.10]0.1.0B2-30 from the mod folder, replace it with Fastcraft and see if that fixes it.
from the server thread, which I follow even though I don't multiplayer.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Botania also has an inventory system, post-elf gate, the Chordata system. You use chat to ask for items from the chests.

I think I'd be more willing to try to understand AE if I understood what it does beyond being an infintie capacity chest better. Then again I haven't played too much with the "build giant machines to get 10000 apples!" side of minecraft either.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 3, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Omp New Sigma also has arse magick

I haven't experimented with it much since there's other more familiar magic in the pack and ars magica seems to be pretty combat focused in a game where combat is the last thing I'm interested in.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Warp Book in the omps seem to be the least punitive of these options

It does take a lot of hunger and each location needs an ender eye but that's less trouble than running an entire power station.

Plus the book can fit in the enchiridion binder of all your mod manuals.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

SugarAddict posted:

Tinkers construct lumber axes are the new treecaptor.

Don't you mean veinminer

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
tinker's construct is a good mod to add for quality of life but again veinminer when properly configured does what treecapacitor used to. Plus using fast leaf decay with it is also good, instead of busting leaf blocks one at a time, veinminer the trunk down and then the leaves just disappear by themselves.

Baby's first space race has some great tutorials on how to tinkers construct, even though I've been using it since 1.5 I learned some things. For instance, you can use the smeltery to combine water and lava to make obsidian before even getting a single diamond, skip the normal lovely boring way of getting it entirely even in a pack without tech blocks.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Either one gives a slime sapling or you can build a jetpack and find a slime island in the sky somewhere.

Slime saplings grow into slime trees with trunks made of congealed slime(craft into four slimeballs) when you chop them down.

This is just off my often faulty memory tho.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
BFSR guy: While I'm thinking about modded minecraft (probably will go back to it when I finish terraria 1.3), I'd like to suggest the modpack include Redpower inspired mods like project red and redstone in motion... They're a regular staple of minecraft tech packs and I've never really learned how to use them.

Possibly because I'm the kind of guy who feels like to do a job right I have to do it myself and haven't even ever figured out how to use minefactoryreloaded to do animal farms properly, but eh.

As for learning modpacks, one for bees might also be good. I just went on a rant elsewhere about how gypped I feel about agrarian skies. And even in a cheating world it's loving obtuse. Like I try to do it in a way where I could theoretically accomplish it in another world knowing what to gather and crafting from there, but to begin I can't just craft the parts... I need hundreds of seeds and need to juice them? What?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

McFrugal posted:

If only Minecraft had currency to drop on death, or had a setting to allow you to lose levels on death while keeping your inventory.

Ugh, yes, this is the mod (or maybe a console command) that I want.
I'd think losing all your xp and not being able to get it back would make things interesting, but I cannot play with inventory loss on, it's too loving awful.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
openblocks does something like that, and there are gravestone mods

The run back over previously covered ground with less than what you had getting killed to try and save your drop is just aggravating and not fun, especially with the despawn time limit until poo poo that took hours to make disappears forever. It's just stupid and aggravating.

There's no need to punish the player that hard, especially in a game that's as unbalanced as modded minecraft. I am never playing with having to do that on again.

Losing XP progress would be enough, since you have to be alive to collect it and bigger levels require more work.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Alkydere posted:

Despite knowing all about the thaumcraft crafting and such...I have never done golemancy. I prefer using pipes and tubes and Matter-Energy cables to move stuff from point A to point B. What are some good sources of motus, humanus and spiritus so I can make golems to get the paranormalist into the botania scanner room?

Also, what do I have to make/scan to unlock altar enchanting? Do I actually need to make/scan a vanilla enchanter?

I have not played blightfal and it's been a while since I played this buuuuut:
Rotten flesh has humanus. So that's one single source of that in a regular game. But I eventually found that the centrifuge is far more helpful in getting aspects than anything else. In a regular game, paper has cognito, which can be split into spiritus and humanus, so I'd use stacks of it to get those aspects. Usually you'd have to get to the nether for the unlimited spiritus source, soul sand.

Like stone buttons are easy, and they give you machine, which is motus + instrumentum! and instumentum is humanus + ordo! That just leaves Spiritus. Spritus is in sensus and cognito, so look for things that have those.

I just used this page when writing this, go nuts. The aspect system is one thing I liked about thaumcraft, it has a lot of nice surprises and versatility.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
well if tinkerer is involved, there's also a machine that repairs your tools if you use instrumentum. Which you can get from flint, so it's usually basically free.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It doesn't open up until you find and scan a zombie brain.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
That must be something configurable, it's able to find everything especially vanilla ores like gold in modpacks I've used.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It's annoying how big the box for stabalization objects is for the altar, there's some other things that use crystal clusters and maybe someone might want to use candles or skulls for decoration without it loving their infusions

Putting candles under the floor or above the ceiling is a great idea that I'll keep in mind next time I build, when an infusion goes unstable it often makes the pillars leak flux, and then if you have candles on the floor they get washed away making things more unstable (plus stuff on the floor makes it more difficult to navigate).

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

SugarAddict posted:

I get sick of having to transform back into a Steve? after I kill something and I get transformed, or I kill something for the first time and it drops nothing, and with some mods like Ars Magica and some of the other mods in there add their own mobs the list grows very quickly (50+ at least for Ars Magica). a bunch of those mobs can't go though doors or 2 block high rooms, and this is annoying when you are being chased by giant mutant zombies or whatever happens to be attacking you at the time.

In omp sigma you do not automatically transform when you kill something.

Taffer posted:

Better Storage is really just an awful mod in general, most of the things it adds suck and crafting all of them is a pain. It's basically a really lovely version of ironchests/random barrel mod mixed together. The idea of multiblock storage is really cool but its implementation of it is about the worst possible way it could be done that I could imagine, it's so bad that even considering doing storage that way is stupid.

Someone else making a mod with just the storage lockers, or the backpack that is placeable in world and can be worn without taking off armor would be nice. The huge cubes are poo poo.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 22, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

SugarAddict posted:

I just ran in, grabbed carrots potatoes and wheat and tried not to die. Keepinventory is true so as long as you got some you will be good.

what

a pack finally did this

Ok, I need to play blightfall now. I'm going to have to make some time this weekend, I'm ready to get in there and clean up my taint.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
it's really too bad thaumic tinkerer got removed from some of my preferred modpacks due to it having the grey goo essentia fires, the funnel and the repair machine are very good

(do not use the essential fires)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Boats suck, I like mods that let you have boots that freeze water and just walk across the ocean (meteors, botania), those are cool even if they don't work all that great sometimes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Wolpertinger posted:

Galactic science was ALMOST good for me, but it got EXTREMELY grindy just to get off the moon and I ended up losing interest. All the mods are really neat so it's kind of disappointing, though.

Uh what? It's never been a problem for me because I bring enough fuel for the return trip, do other people not do this?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I actually really like wiki trawling - when a wiki is complete.
When I have to juggle info sources things become a headache.
It's really frustrating that not only does Blood Magic require I play without peaceful mode on to get what it's doing, but it has a billion systems that take lots of precisely arranged elements and there is no good complete wiki on all of them.

I like the idea of generators exploding but for a general survival game. Not for minecraft, where things take time to arrange just so, time to craft, and has despawning items on the ground you have to scramble to grab when something goes wrong.
Some new game DESIGNED around managing a generator and the units it powers and stuff might be interesting, but it would be very different from minecraft.
See: Don't Starve. Has lots of base destruction elements but items on the ground never despawn and there are not automated production lines of stations handing items to other stations to arrange, everything is just a unit on the ground.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
for cooking system chat, I'd recommend looking up don't starve's crockpot since it feels like cooking and gives a variety of possible results (certain ingrediant combinations have a probability of giving one thing or another)

Honestly though I kind of wish Minecraft could be modded to use its mob system, since that's pretty much the thing I like most about that game. You can tell where everything spawns and behave accordingly, not everything aggros you immediately so you don't have to fight 24/7 if you're cautious but nothing is going to passively let you farm it, and best of all there is a TON of interaction between mobs and instead of fighting often you can set mobs against each other. The game is kind of a slog but that ecosystem of its world is kinda brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I would agree that just removing Dayblooms and Nightblooms and other passives would be the best solution, it would give the idea of what the mod is supposed to be about if they didn't bother reading the extensive documentation.

I don't get the "why would you automate this more than once" argument because well just about all the other mods are about automation and more automation, botania is just providing a new reason to use them other than LOOK AT ALL THIS WHEAT I HAVE NOW WHAT