Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Honestly I like natura just because it adds a bit of variety to the overworld without actually changing biomes. It just makes it nicer walking around. I don't really use the stuff for anything though. And gently caress those stupid clouds. I think there's a config option to disable them, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
You know what? Give me a few hours and I'll toss a 1.10.2 QOL only pack up on technic for you after lunch. It'll use the versions I've got for my bigger 1.10 pack, notably WAILA instead of The One Probe since we haven't made the jump, but it'll work fine. No quest book stuff though.

Edit: Quick question - I've got a mod that makes villages more common and increases the biomes where they spawn (including very silly ocean villages). Is that of any interest?

NiftyBottle fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 11, 2017

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Well if anyone else is interested, here's a QOL only pack for 1.10.:shrug:

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Evil Mastermind posted:

You might want to throw InventoryTweaks in there too, though.

Whoops :cripes:

It's actually in there now, thanks for letting me know.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

peak debt posted:

As an almost total Minecraft newb: If I am looking for a certain geography in a Minecraft world (specifically, I need a hilly piece of land in the default biome about 500x500 squares that is next to a big lake and has a river in it) is there a 3rd party tool that can allow me to quickly scan through a map?
Ideally some piece of software I could enter a world seed in and it'd show me a big overview of the map from top down.

I used this thing when I gave up on finding a jungle by wandering around and it worked pretty well. It won't be accurate if you're using got mods changing/adding biomes, and I don't know how good it would be at finding hills, but maybe it'll help.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
I've got a question on behalf of my brother: in 1.7.10, Witchery (among many more useless features) made some changes to villages, expanding them a bit and adding walls to some of them. Does anyone know of a mod that does anything similar (expanding villages) for 1.10? Apparently he really liked it but it doesn't look like Witchcraft is going to get ported anytime soon.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

From what I can tell the building that RD builds are mostly biome specific. So the brick house in the woods with a dungeon in it or the wizards tower in the extreme hills.

Also I need to know what I'm doing wrong. With my current PC I've played a lot of heavy modpacks but the published ones always seem to miss a mod I really like so I decided to mess around in making one on my own for personal use. I did like Evil did and used Nifty's Vanilla Plus as a base, downloaded all the mods and added Tinkers Construct and Botania, threw them all into a new instance in MultiMC and all of a sudden my FPS and performance tanks. Also for some reason adding LiteLoader borks it all to hell.

Now the reason I ask what I'm doing wrong is I can run modpacks with way more than what I have in them smoothly so what could I have done that is making my custom one go to hell. Is it that fact I'm putting it all in MultiMc or is something in the background I have to configure to make them optimal and play nice with my system.

A few things (without links cause I'm on mobile):
It looks like Lite Loader has a specific thing to install it alongside forge that MultiMC may not do if you just click the install lite loader button. (Out of curiosity, what mod are you using that needs lite loader?)

One thing you could try is increasing the memory limit MultiMC is using for the pack - the default can be a little low for modded minecraft. Try 4 or 6 gigs (assuming you have that to spare) and see if that helps.

Another thing is that vanilla plus doesn't have any of the things aimed at improving performance that some heavy packs might. I think foam fix is the one in mod form I've heard the most about for 1.10. Optifine is another option but that's less drag and drop and may or may not cause issues with mods - some mod authors I think don't like it but I don't know how paranoid they're being.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Has anybody had any trouble recently getting Dropbox links working on Technic? It isn't recognizing the URLs like they used to.

You can check yourself if you want:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vegt2950mc6ys4o/babys-first-space-race-1.7.10.5.zip?dl=1

I can't update BFSR. :(

Dropbox is phasing out the public folder and possibly messing with how links work? The problems may be because of that. I've moved to using my own server space for technic/solder so I don't really know of any good alternatives or workarounds.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Shipon posted:

That's true, but many items you'll be unable to get without having mobs killed in some fashion. Did anyone ever bring back the Peaceful Table from 1.7.10?

No peaceful table, but there are mods that add crafting options for mob drops if you’re comfortable dropping them in to packs. Harmony is what I use in 1.12, I think there are various “vegan” mods for earlier versions. You can search “peaceful” or “mob drops” on curse (a lot seem focused on not ever having to kill anything rather than peaceful specifically, but they certainly work for it, and it can be nice having an alternative to cow murdering sprees when I need a bunch of leathery.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
I tend to use aroma backup in my modpacks; it works fine for the sort of thing I use backups for (“oops I burnt down my house” “oops I fell in lava and forgot to turn keepInventory on” “oops Iron Backpacks don’t keep their inventory when you upgrade them” not usually stuff that forge or Mcedit can help with unless you happen to have a really good memory)

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
It’s named “inventory carafting table” maybe. The mod that adds it is cyclic.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
This is a long shot, but I intermittently maintain my own modpack and something in it’s upcoming update is preventing cows from dropping leather. This promises to be an absolute pain in the dick to test, so I was wondering if anyone had any idea which mod might be the cause.

Here’s the list of mods - a few mods have been added in the upcoming update but I’ve already tried removing them and the problem remains

(I’ve also tried removing forestry and better with mods, because those are inherently suspicious)

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
It was More Shearables, for reference. They took a left turn into their method being the only method to get those resources, buried in their changelog, with no mention in the mod description. :nallears: No, I don’t want to gate leather behind gold, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
For a different perspective than some, I really do hate Minecraft combat, and didn’t get far into Blightfall because of it. I like Minecraft as a chill thing where if I get distracted for a bit, it’s fine. Usually I play on peaceful. I’m fine with skyblocks, chilling out fishing while trees grow is my jam.

Relatedly, I’d like to recommend a mod: Apathetic Mobs, which makes all mobs passive/neutral. I have it set to make them fight back if attacked, and it occupies a nice space for me and works surprisingly well. It makes combat-oriented things not useless and mob drops accessible at close to their intended difficulty while preserving the ability to randomly afk without consequence. I’m really liking it.