Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Reposting for new thread: I'd like it if someone made some kind of tool that made laying down long lengths of cables faster / simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Don't worry, the curse client will provide some new drama soon enough I'm sure.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

TheresaJayne posted:

I generally use the builder's wand or there is also a block placer that builds walls of cable,

also i wonder has anyone tried using the Drawbridge to place cables?

Builder's wand is only really useful if you want to make a line of cable right next to existing cable, although maybe it would be slightly faster than finding the right hover spot for ender IO. Not sure what the other block placer you're talking about is, but I'd love to hear about it.

Drawbridge is an interesting idea. I feel like I may have tried it before but don't remember the result, hmm. I know I used to build railcraft tanks with MFFS, which is kind of a great time saver actually, and you can use any color tank parts too.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

UglyDucklett posted:

Wait is this pretty much a more modern Big Dig? If so thanks so much for the recommendation! I loving loved Big Dig and every other way of playing Minecraft feels like a slog in comparison.

OMP-i has big dig style ores everywhere stuff going on too.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Turtlicious posted:

Someone always asks for it, so I guess it's my turn.

Everything and the kitchen sink mod?

I've been playing http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/omp-i.598014 or if you want something a bit more huge, http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/project-omnius-pack.631908 (be aware that it updates a LOT and is not shy about removing and re-adding mods constantly).

I feel like they both are missing some surprising things, and they have an oddly large list of things the other doesn't though!

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 7, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Natura could definitely do with a "usefulness" overhaul at this point. Like all those nether trees are neat, but they're only useful for looks and bows, so who really cares? The tree/stick stuff either needs a point or total oredict support. The oreberries are sorta useful if you don't have magic crops available and aren't to a MFR laser yet, I guess. Glowshrooms could definitely be more useful somehow, like doing player vs mob passthrough effects, or maybe smelting into potions, or something. And actually being farmable with MFR and stuff if they aren't yet.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

Oreberries are Tinkers Construct, I'm pretty sure.
Natura just has regular berries which restore 1/2 of a hunger point, and nether berries, which give you a potion effect for about 2 seconds.

Oh right. Keep thinking they are part of the same deal. Those two mods are sort of associated in my head, maybe they came out around the same time or something?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

They are basically two parts of the same mod, by the same guy. It all started with Infinitools.

That would explain it then.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Taffer posted:

That's its whole purpose. It's really funny hearing people talk about how it needs a "usability" upgrade or it's underpowered or whatever compared to other mods - the entire purpose of that mod is some visual variety. It works for that.

My main problem with usability in natura is probably that I don't actually use bows, pretty much ever. I am however warming up to Tinker crossbows so it's a start I guess.

greententacle posted:

On Natura crafting benches you can't do things like the middle mouse button press to distribute items evenly, that's the most annoying problem I've had with it.

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask. I remember at some point in modded minecraft, I could hold shift and hover over items with the mouse to move things to or from crafting/inventory, and it was very convenient. I don't seem to be able to do that any more, although shift clicking, spacebar, middle click to sort etc all still work. Was that a feature of something that isn't common anymore, or something I have to enable in a config or something?

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 8, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

TheresaJayne posted:

Well, you can't shift click into a crafting bench as which slot should it go into?
they do have left click and drag to even out, right click and drag to place one of each

It was more for like shift+ mouse movement over a bunch of items in a chest / crafting table to move them into your inventory. I'm probably not describing this well.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

That's Invtweaks, isn't it?

That does all the shift clicking but shift hovering seems to no longer exist since awhile back far as i can tell :iiam:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

That sounds like probably it, thanks!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Most of that sounds pretty good, only part I'm not super excited about is that I like Journeymap. Hooray for Mousetweaks and Dimensional Doors though!!

Do you want feedback on mods we'd like to see added or would you prefer to not open those particular floodgates?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Sent you a google doc list of stuff on Steam!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Turtlicious posted:

Also if you're doing an insane amount of work... HQM quests to walk us through progress trees and how to use certain mods.

I think that's the point of the Progression stuff.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I've been fuckin around with the tinker's crossbow and shurikens and they are pretty fun. I keep loading the crossbow up with as much redstone as I can to see how fast you can get the reloads down to. Can you level up the haste gloves at all? I kind of wish shurikens could be thrown into walls and used as platforms but that would probably make them way buggier so yeah I understand why they don't. I will probably try the bows out sometime just to see if they do more damage faster or not.

Also if you don't know already, the scythe is a great weapon for crowd control and also very helpful for farming, especially with agricraft. One left click and you can pop off a 3x3 agricraft farm and the seeds will be replanted instantly, it rules.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
You can also put mob heads onto your pick to level it up if it's low enough.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Alkydere posted:

Someone on the last Progress server did a lot of testing, turns out the best bow material (short or crossbow, and well longbow but those are just unweildy to use) is, of course, slime. pink > blue > green >> all metals for the parts that take metal/slime. Ludicrous damage, rapid reload rate. Obviously the ammunition should be manyllium or some expensive/absurd metal like that, coated in moss and all the nether quartz you can stuff on it, but the bow/crossbow should be slime.

Does this mean the strings and stuff too or is that still fire string or enchanted fabric or something as best?

Sistergodiva posted:

Sorry, but does anyone know which mods I shouldn't add to the servers mod folder? Any other stuff I need to drop into the server folder?

Or does anyone have a pre-made server folder for omp-i?

I believe this should be it: https://mega.co.nz/#!ZZEGnCaC!IkT5S_2X4Phoyx-sWZNY4JP-hkITa0FZdM4Klr2vI_A

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sistergodiva posted:

Thanks!

We had a great time with the mod. But I'm not really sure how tool progression works.

Is there any specific mod I could check out to understand how the tools and tiers work? Or is it custom for this pack?

Like, I can make stone and flint pick axes and then the next tier is obsidian?

Iguana says you need to use a smeltery, but I could use a normal furnace to smelt copper and stuff, so it's tweaked?

I'm honestly not sure how it works because I found a treasure chest with a thaumium pick in it pretty early and bypassed a lot of it :v:

My advice is that you can use mob heads on tools to upgrade their mining level. I think you're supposed to start with flint stuff and either level it up via use or skulls until copper maybe and then get into iron / steel / whatever else above that as usual.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Also just so it's known, there is a bit of a recipe conflict in OMP-i where trying to make vanilla stained glass will instead make hamster balls.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gilok posted:

That is the best possible bug and I hope it stays.

The only thing that sucks is that I can't figure out any other way to make the glass, and thus am also cut off from the chisel variants. Oh well.

Also I just put a pink slime crossbow limb on my crossbow and wow, it loving owns. 0.25 second reload :getin:

Anyone know the min/max strats for crossbow bolts then? Here's what I have right now, they're pretty good but stuff still isn't dying in one hit consistently (although the 0.25 reload is making that a bit of a non-issue)

the crossbow is I believe all manyullyn except the pink slime limb and regular string. The bolts are manyullyn core, and I think slimeleaf fletching. I'm thinking now that they are leveled up to max I should load up all the +modifier addons and fill them with quartz and lapis?

edit: fiery bowstring gives a multiplier to arrow speed, gently caress yea.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 15, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lizard Wizard posted:

Well, there were some issues with Omp-i on the server last night at least. Including but not limited to EVERYTHING being ore below Y level 30.

All ore is below 30, or all blocks below 30 are ore? The second one sounds good to me.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Might try taking a look at the configs/options for MouseTweaks.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mzbundifund posted:

You don't need to level up your tools ever in OMP-i. Mine copper with a flint pickaxe, make a smeltery steal a smeltery from a village, and pour yourself a copper pick. That can mine iron.

e: beaten, but yes. Use aluminum brass to make your casts.

Edit again: Extra amusing option: Make a bucket out of copper, use it to bucket lava into your smeltery, and then melt your bucket down into iron in the same smeltery.

You can also apply monster heads to your tools to increase their mining level. I believe the latest OMP-i has vanilla tools re-enabled though?

yet another method is to find a chest with a thaumium pickaxe or something already there for you too, since mod materials work still. MAYBE you could do a certus quartz or invar tool early on?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have any advice on moving structures across modpacks and saves? I'm tired of rebuilding everything from nothing, if I could save even the basic structures of my old places (replaced with vanilla blocks if needed), that would be a huge help. Is this even a particularly possible thing?

edit: Like I'm seeing some structures/schematics folder in my not-yet-updated omp-i install, is that from something that could save building layouts?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
How does temperature in the smeltery work, anyway? Need a bigger smetlery to get higher temps?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sistergodiva posted:

More temp = more time to smelt = mpre lava used.

This makes sense. I had something sitting in there for ages taking more lava up that never seemed to want to melt. Maybe it just did take a shitload, I guess.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lizard Wizard posted:

Given the absence of Mekanism, use a diamond dolly for this.

OMP-i also has ender IO which has it's own entire spawner mechanic. If you break a normal spawner, you get a broken one you can use in an ender IO device. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds neat.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

At this thread's suggestion, I decided to get OMP i. But there's no server download link on the page. Does that mean I should just conjure up my own?

vvv: I don't have the issue with minimized thing, but having to set up my own server is going to be a pain I bet.

If you do, please share with the rest of us.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Building protop: get an Ender IO painting machine and a shitload of glowstone and just build your floors out of painted glowstone blocks and gently caress lighting forever.

Downside: easily breakable.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Cantorsdust posted:

This but make glowstone bricks from MFR, which look pretty good, actually.

The point with the painting machine is that you can make them look like pretty much any block you want.

Carpenter blocks probably has a similar trick somewhere.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

Aren't Carpenter blocks tile entities though? I thought they lagged badly. Not individually, but having dozens or even hundreds around your base sure adds up, right?
Do painted blocks work the same way?

Maybe, I'm not really sure. I just assume my large builds are going to tank the local framerate either way. I play on a small server that often only has one or zero people online so it's not a big problem for us.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

BJPaskoff posted:

I was so angry at a mod pack that used IguanaTweaks, mostly because I didn't know how to use Tinkers' Construct. Baby's First Space Race changed that. I was still annoyed at it in OMPi because even though it was fun to build up my tools, I got frustrated with there being just so damned many tiers. That is, until someone in this thread posted that you can cook iron in a furnace and get steel, thereby skipping to near the top of the tech tree.

In OMPi, is there anything that lets me build faster? Man it would be sweet to build a wall with one click.

Also, what's the easiest way to be able to fly?

For faster building, try the builder's wand. It requires some materials that are a bit...exotic though. Or cheat one in, in which case there is a second, better creative one to cheat in for yourself.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

In OMP-i what's a black liquid you can't swim or drown in? I've found it twice now, and have no idea how to get rid of it, because you can't use a bucket on it. The only way seems to just cobblestone it in, but that's a lot of work.

Walia has a hotkey for a config menu that gives you the option to ID liquids. Try pressing numpad 0, that's the default button for it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Someone please make an addon for galacticraft so I can put on an iron shirt and chase satan out of earth.

poo poo, can you remote launch rockets somehow? That could make for a pretty hilarious trap.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
SO OMP-i looks like it's stabilized, anyone got a server pack?

Sadly, I believe I want the non-ACDD version (rip DimDoors, again).

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
TC had the best storage system and progression. And power items, although a lot of those are still around.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Also I am dumb and meant to say TC2.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

A really ugly, really huge, fireproof tree no less.
I don't think it ever got a use either? I have no idea why people like [d?] redpower.

because of bundled cables and (early on) tubes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone having trouble making a Twilight Forest portal in OMP-i? I am a couple versions behind, but I put the water and flowers down and throw in the diamond and nothing happens.