Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Oh hey there's something I've been meaning to share for a while, a new iteration of the thread is a good time to do it.
Who likes the Painterly Pack? I sure do!

I've been collecting what little mod support I could find for Painterly since the 1.5 days and also making my own. At first I just wanted all the ores to look good, but as time went on I started changing tree leaves, machine blocks, some armor, etc. It's culminated in this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5g2umxo4oky7bip/Painterly%20Mod%20Support%201.7.10.zip?dl=1

This is a resource pack of mod support for most of the mods I've used between 2013 and now. If it's a well-known mod it's probably got some support in here. I can't really claim any ownership of any of this, all credit goes to kas and, secondarily, the people who tried to do this sort of thing before me.

To use it, make your own Painterly pack at http://painterlypack.net then apply that resource pack and this one alongside it. There shouldn't be any conflicts; this resource pack doesn't include any minecraft assets, just mod ones.

The only caveat is that everything I've cobbled together here operates under the assumption that your base Painterly Pack uses the light stone options, at least for the raw underground stone and ores.
I haven't had a chance to go through and clean out any non-painterly assets yet, but I'll clean it up as time goes on. If you do try it out, let me know if you find anything weird or messed up. (edit: aside from the TE phytogenic insolator animation. I know I swapped a couple frames on that one)

Fortis fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Acne Rain posted:

Inventory pets: Instead of a pet with a bad ai and that follows you in the overworld you and ineveitably dies due to bad collision detection, you.... keep a pet in your inventory????

????????????????

I found this just the other day and it's actually really cool. Each pet gives you a buff as long as they're in your hotbar, and they eat certain items in your inventory every so often (each one has a favorite food). Their durability never wears out as long as you keep their favorite food in your inventory while they're active (in the hotbar).

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I discovered I was like 20 Botania updates behind and uh... is it at all possible to turn off the loving Gaia battle music? Because holy poo poo.
I mean, I was probably going to replace it with my own music in a resource pack but it's so loving loud I can't believe there's no config option for it.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
It could also mean that a mod you're using is trying to call the buildcraft API improperly.

This poo poo happened to me all the time with Mekanism and Buildcraft/IC2's APIs. Every so often a Mekanism update would come out and freak out on load because it didn't access the BC/IC2 api properly or was using a new version that other mods weren't and all hell would break loose. At one point I actually had to include the experimental IC2 API as its own mod just to get Mekanism to stop crashing.

It's one of the many reasons I stopped using Mekanism in my packs, but other mods have done it too. EnderIO famously pulled similar poo poo in late 2014 when they switched to the newest possible CoFH API before any other mod did, making their conduits straight-up just not connect to anything using the old API. Mekanism's the only one I've ever seen crash over it, though.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

BlueOccamy posted:

I'm just now poking through the extra utils options (was going to resign myself to not having vac hoppers BUT THEY DISABLED ELEVATOR BLOCKS TOO FFFFFF) and I can't find either of them at -all- in the configs. Do I have to poke around in the other folder for extra utils or something? Help I am bad at computer stuff :(

Vacuum Hoppers and Elevators are from Openblocks, not Extra Utilities.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

StealthArcher posted:

Because Azanor's THATS MY FETISH ~vision~ means you lose all Eldritch research for turning his darling babby warp off.

Wait, you do? I have what I presume to be a full Eldritch tab in my cheat-sheeted Thaumonomicon and I've had warp disabled from the start.

Is there something beyond the primordial-pearl based multiblock alchemical furnace? Maybe I'm a version or two behind...

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

StealthArcher posted:

Well, you used to, if he's changed that good for him i guess, though tbh I've never cheatied around it so i don't know if that's specifically a way to get around it.

Oh, then it's probably only possible to have it without warp enabled if you use the cheat sheet. Don't the first bits of Eldritch research rely on getting warp? So it's not so much a "you're locked out because gently caress you" as much as it is that the starting condition for the research never triggers.

Unless the Eldritch tab straight-up goes away if you have it researched but then disable warp in the configs, if that's the case then it's definitely a "gently caress you, got my vision".

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I'm confident that the horseshit will be corrected by Azanor at a glacial pace, but even more confident that addon mods will spring up quickly to counteract the truly egregious horseshit. I can see it now... Ancient Thaumaturgy - Lost Technology of Days Gone By: a mod that adds an arcane alembic that holds up to 32 essentia and can be stacked and a void jar that doesn't vent into the atmosphere. That's the whole mod.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Now that Minetweaker exists (and I should hope will exist for 1.8, if it doesn't already), there's not much reason to get TOO upset about whatever bullshit Azanor throws in. You could make TC work a lot like Botania (i.e. making the ingredients uses the special infrastructure but ultimately it's all crafting) with some relatively simple recipe tweaks.

TC is one of those mods where it's kind of more about the process for a lot of people than it is about the product, but for the products that are legit useful there's no reason to put up with horseshit you don't want to deal with if you don't have to. I made a crafting recipe for Boots of the Traveler, for instance. Not an Arcane Worktable one (although you could), just straight-up crafting, cause they're just that useful. Maybe it's cheap, but who gives a poo poo? It's a sandbox game, instead of letting modders enforce rules, enforce your own fun.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Is chat formatting plugins not fully working in Cauldron in 1.7.10 just A Thing? Chat names aren't being formatted on my server with their prefixes and suffixes, but announcements (like 'so-and-so is AFK') use the formatting correctly.

Essentials Chat, ChatEx, and Towny chat all do this. I have no idea what the problem is. Is there a chat plugin that's known to work with Cauldron?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

John Quixote posted:

When setting up a server with Forge you can keep the mods server-side, right? As in, anyone using the server wouldn't have to download the mods themselves, they just need to access the server with a same-version client with Forge installed? Sorry for such a dumb question.

No, the client will also need the mods. Not all of them; some mods are optional on either side, but for the most part they have to share mods. A good rule of thumb is that if it adds items and blocks, it needs to be on both sides. If it only works on the client (like a minimap), then it doesn't need to be on the server.

Bukkit plugins work the way you describe, though. That might be what you're thinking of.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
MrTJP is implementing a unique power system into Project Red. It's basically identical to blutricity, complete with its own blue totally-not-redstone, electrotine.

It truly is nostalgic; there's only a solar panel, simple generator, a battery box, a proof-of-concept furnace that isn't worth the effort, and promises of things to come.

After trying it out, all I can take from it is that blutricity should have stayed dead.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

The Wonder Weapon posted:

How possible is it to change what version of forge you're using? We did a pretty basic install process:
1. Install vanilla MC, edit profile to choose release 1.8, launch and quit.
2. Install Forge 11.14.3.1450, launch, quit.

Then we shoved a bunch of mods in the mod folder and went to town.

I'm now finding that the Shaders mod, Optifine, and SEUS all work, but only on a different forge profile than we chose to begin with. Is it possible to take a world created under that forge profile and get it to work with either a newer or older forge profile, say .1336 or .1487? If we just re-install everything under a new forge profile and dump the old world into the saves folder, will it work?

Generally speaking the only thing that matters to a world is if the mods stay the same so the block IDs don't get hosed up (this may be different and less of an issue in 1.8, I don't know). So you can experiment with Forge versions for the same MC version, and as long as all the mods continue to work you should be fine. I'd back up the world just in case though if you're going to downgrade. I periodically have to update the Forge version for my server (1.7.10) and it's never been a world-killer.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Ciaphas posted:

Does reading a Cheatonomicon, then using /tc to remove all of your warp, preserve access to everything? I'm coming to the conclusion that Warp Is Dumb, and we all already know that Research Is Dumb, so hell, let's skip both.

Be nice if there were an ingame way to automatically scan everything--not for research, mind, but for distillation purposes--but I guess what's what wiki listings are for :v:

Disabling warp and reading the Cheatonomicon will still give you all the Eldritch Thaumonomicon entries.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Thyrork posted:

And now, for a fresh cut of the madness machine; someone posted a "Modder's agreement" over on FTB's sub-Reddit.

The reactions are amazing. :allears:

Is this like, performance art specifically calling out Reika or something?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I don't understand how this happened.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Yeah the tank still works, I just thought it was hilarious.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I've always liked the different track types from RC. CJ can be a complete toolbox but you can turn off all of the bullshit in Railcraft and be left with a bunch of fun new tracks that are relatively easy to make. Trains and the tunnel bore are pretty fun too. You wouldn't expect him to, but CJ clearly understands and respects that everyone has different play styles and some of his fiddly bullshit just isn't for everyone.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Immersive Engineering's wiring is really cool.

It's interesting to have to make structural considerations for wiring that also yields some neat aesthetics.
... That said, I'm glad my modpack also has Thermal Dynamics because :effort:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

McFrugal posted:

Whaaaaat? Why would slabs instakill you?

It's probably the bug where the game calculates each bob of the boat in the water as falling. If you're in a boat for too long and you go from water to solid ground while still riding in it, all the fall damage racks up at once. So it's not slabs specifically, just going to solid ground on a lower level than the water. It's easiest to achieve with slabs.

This bug has existed since at least 1.4, probably earlier. Last time I checked it still hasn't been fixed.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I remember one guy getting complaints from one of their server's players that they're going to going to use all the passive stuff due to how easy it is, and it makes no sense to try any of the other stuff unless the passive stuff is completely removed.

Haha, this was my awful friend on my server and at the time I ended up finding a Bukkit plugin that I could configure to prevent only him from crafting, placing, or otherwise interacting with Mekanism windmills. Since then my solution has been to just ignore his bullshit. He still makes lovely passive-aggressive comments to me whenever he plays about the amount of ore (he thinks it's too abundant, of course).

edit:

Taffer posted:

I'm ok with gameplay design stuff being not configurable. I think general numbers should be adjustable to allow modpack makers to build something cohesive, but if an aspect of the overall mod design is integral in the authors mind, that's fine to leave locked.

Players of mods often feel like they get to dictate what the mod author should do, but the developers are making their own thing and distributing it themselves, they don't owe anything to the players.

That doesn't mean their decisions have to be agreed with if course, for example I think azanor is a big tosspot and that the gameplay of thaumcraft is awful, despite having lots of cool aspects. But it's his mod, and my choice is to play it or not play it, not complain a ton when he decides to take it in a different direction and feel entitled that the mod should be made in my vision.

I agree with this but I also love that things like Minetweaker exist. I draw comics and if a reader told me how to do it I would probably want to tell them to gently caress off too, so I can't pretend mod makers are required to bend over backwards for players if it's not what they want to make. On the other hand... I think one of the best things about Modded MC these days is you can basically make the game whatever you want thanks to all the stuff that lets you make new recipes. Minetweaker and Modtweaker are godsends. But even then, if mod makers are willing to let those tweaks work then that's great, but if they're not then they're not, and that's pretty much the end of it.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 23, 2015

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Sage Grimm posted:

Tell him he can make a lossy ore automation process that automatically takes 1/NUM ore and just dunks it into a Nullifier before proceeding normally. Or donate it via a communal ender chest. Or just dump it as an entity for tears from his skull fortress. Your awful friend is awfully uncreative.

If I ignore him he just gives up. It's not like he can make me do anything about it.
He also refuses to use AE because whenever I talk about it it sounds "too complicated" so I don't know what the gently caress he wants or even is getting out of the game.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Glory of Arioch posted:

some spergs just want to watch the world grind

Last time I checked on his base I found no fewer than 8 Tconstruct crafting tables and a huge array of wooden chests. No storage drawers, no barrels, not even a single iron chest in sight.

Art through adversity, I guess.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

taiyoko posted:

Can anyone help me figure out what's going on here?

I have a 1.8 with Forge install with clientside only mods so I can play on vanilla servers and still have a minimap, WAILA, that kind of thing. But for whatever reason, I consistently get these flashing errors whenever I look the wrong way at something:

In the nether, it affects just about every goddamn thing. Mipmap levels are off because otherwise everything is black and the ground disappears. Fast graphics, tried setting fps to unlimited or a limit, VBOs on/off don't affect it, using BetterFPS or not doesn't affect it, MCPatcher on/off doesn't affect it. Turning down chunk view settings doesn't affect it.

And I had to printscreen the screenshot, because it looks normal in the f2-key screenshot.

Try removing WAILA and see if it clears up. The only 1.8 build that exists for WAILA has a bunch of lovely graphical bugs.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Ambaire posted:

What veinminer config option do I need to change so I can vein mine moon turf, dirt and rock? Along with other planet materials as well. I'm playing the Galactic science pack again and I figured I could speed it up a bit without actually 'cheating'.

Edit: Unless it goes strictly by ore dictionary names, and moon turf/etc don't have oredict entries that I can see.

You can add whatever, you just need to know the full ID name of the block. You can use NEI to dump all item and block ID names.
The config is called tools-and-blocks.cfg, I think.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Really you'd just have to think outside the box a little bit to come up with interesting consequences for loving up power.
Maybe every machine has a base model that does what it does just fine, but can be upgraded with special circuit boards. If you use too much voltage on an upgraded machine, it fries the boards and you have to replace them, but the machine itself would be fine.

It's a watered-down version of what happens in real life if you overload electronics without ruining hours of work.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Bhodi posted:

Reminder to those who want to emit status effects, look to the sludge boiler - it poisons everything around, and it's dumb no one likes it and it doesn't fit the pack at all.

Stop trying to reward experimentation with damage and loss! What the hell is wrong with you?

I don't actually like the idea (I am firmly in Team RF), it's just an idea about making things more "realistic" without being a complete loving dickbag like IC2 is about it.

Edit: One thing I actually DO like is having to put more thought into infrastructure. Immersive Engineering's wiring is really, really cool. Right now I'm experimenting with a modpack that includes it and a few other tech mods, but all other power conduits are disabled via minetweaker. I had to increase the RF/t values of the wiring from IE and I also disabled the loss over distance, but it's still really interesting to have to think of wires as something other than a block.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 15, 2015

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I mean, you could also just have to repair circuit boards at an RF cost. They don't HAVE to burn out. I'm just saying that if some people want REAL CONSEQUENCES for misusing power, there are options that aren't a steaming crater that smells of ozone where your base used to be.

e: vvvvvv
Yeah, sludge/sewage lakes are enabled by default in MFR.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 15, 2015

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
It can. I think one arcane spa will fill a 5x5x1 area. I've used them to keep (floating, so they didn't get unplanted by the lava) thermalilies fed.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Channels are neat cause ME Smart Cables look rad as hell :science:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I took a look at a cheatsheet Thaumonomicon in TC5 and it looks like there have been some interesting changes to infusion crafting (eldritch stone and ancient stone altars/pedestals will increase speed/stability at the cost of the other, I forget which does which), nitor can be dyed now, and essentia distillation seems to be a lot more annoying & terrible (the highest tier essentia smeltery still has a 5% chance of farting flux out however often).
Otherwise, it looks like it's about the same. Our old buddies the elemental tools are still there, thaumium fortress armor is about the same, wands are the same (except how they charge), etc.

The Aura/Flux mechanic seems severely unfun, though. I'm really bummed out that it's back. The node vis mechanics were really easy to get a hang of and control, I'm not a big fan of core mechanics that are inscrutable and annoying. Plus I guess you can just permanently gently caress up an area by depleting the aura entirely?? So that's cool if you hate yourself I guess.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 1, 2015

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Yeah I guess that's cool, I thought it just turned the biome into taint eventually which apparently just turns everything into lovely ultrafine dust now or something. I guess I'll just have to gently caress around with it and :argh:learn new things:argh:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Okay, I actually really, really like how TC5 gives you a certain amount of primary research points per research note. It makes everything feel like a puzzle rather than a puzzle preceded by a long slog scanning a bunch of bullshit. I'm actually enjoying doing the research, which has never happened before.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

neogeo0823 posted:

Can forge mods be installed on a server that has Cauldron installed on it? The modpack we're going to be using is made entirely with Forge in mind.

Cauldron is Bukkit with Forge, so you're good. Cauldron is a replacement Minecraft server JAR.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Does anyone know what this HUD element is?

I threw a bunch of mods into my pack in October and this thing showed up. I have no idea what it represents or does aside from glitching out frequently and showing various levels of... green.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

dijon du jour posted:

If anyone's looking for good monster mods, Mowzie's Mobs is one to watch. There's only three mobs right now, but they are really good so far. The model and animation quality is fantastic for Minecraft Mobs, and none of them have the "massively OP" problem you usually get with monster mods.

It actually makes the monsters interesting to fight, too:
- One is a standard plant enemy (kill it from afar, honestly not super interesting).
- One is a "group"-type enemy, the leader of each group having a shield so you need to wait for it to wind up an attack and quickly counter to do damage.
- One is a very powerful, but also very slow enemy that you need to goad into getting its weapon stuck in the ground so you can strike its back to do damage.

My only complaint so far is that the tribal group enemies spawn a little too often for my liking. Otherwise definitely check it out if you've wanted a mod that adds enemies that is actually good for once.

The Foliaath (plants) do make good pets, however.

... provided you stay outside the fence.

Mine watches over the cows! :haw:

Oddly enough, however, hostile mobs will try to murder them, and they don't actually seem particularly inclined to protect themselves.

e: For gently caress's sake. Speaking of, a spider pig from mutant creatures appears to have spawned and killed it. I guess you know what happened to Audreys III and IV now.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I've always had better luck editing biomes on the fly using the WeatherMan plugin.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I can't hate Railcraft ever since I discovered what it means to turn the factory module off in the config. Then it just adds a bunch of rails you can use (and craft easily, since factory module controls whether or not the rolling machine is required) and blocks that interact with carts in cool ways that don't consume any RF.

I set up an item loader at my Immersive Engineering excavator with a rail line leading back to an item unloader at my base and having the cart periodically come in with a load of ore was really cool.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

El Generico posted:

drat, when I was learning to mod this was the idea I was working towards.

The "good" news is that it doesn't look like they've updated it beyond 1.6.4.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/wip-mods/1445240-1-6-x-1-5-2-forge-magitek-mechs?page=8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Is there anything that will let a Corporea Network interact with an ME Network? The Corporea Index is really cool and I want to use it in lieu of a terminal purely for the cool factor, but a corporea spark on an ME Interface is a no go.