Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Ah, every time i see this image, part of me takes a warped joy in it.

:allears:

Also Shu, you'll be eating crow with that title when Curse unveils PAID MODS! for 1.8, or something. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

I cant :stare: hard enough.

The hell is this from?!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

wylker posted:

I made a spotlight of TE 4, let me know what you think goons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCaOmN4Dvic

Nice touch with the igniter. :flame:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
On the one hand, that sounds terrible. On the other, if it was some kind of Tiberium/Corruption hybrid super-plant that slowly choked the surface as a consequence of the player's bullshit, that can be combated in various ways (Mostly fire), that would be so very cool. :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Mzbundifund posted:

Hey thanks, yeah, that was (sort of) the problem. It looks like both Mousetweaks and NEI have the same scroll wheel function, and they were getting in each other's way.

In case someone else has the same problem and finds this post, I fixed it by changing the WheelTweak=1 line to WheelTweak=0 in the MouseTweaks.cfg.

:swoon: Thanks!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

I love the hats mod. :allears:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Vib Rib posted:

I see yet another person here subscribes to the "just throw everything on the loving ground, who cares" school of home base design.

Any time I have a safe area (especially in skyblock-style maps) I basically just don't make buildings. I throw all my thermal dynamics machines flat on the ground in a messy cluster, and then all my Thaumcraft stuff in another cluster, and then somewhere over to the side I'll have my field of magic crops. Just a big mess of devices and special blocks. Who cares. I don't need a roof.

Not my base man!

I decided to build into a mountain! :haw: Kol moved in and two other dudes who play with me build that outside house for their chocobos.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Its classic Tekkit all over again. :magical:

Clean, safe energy!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

That, and I don't play Minecraft offline very often if at all. I probably just should, since it's not like I ever do much with anyone else on e.g. Modderation or OMPi except bum charged certus off of them. :shrug:

Come on OMPI, get on teamspeak (or just catch me when im online) and I'll feed you a shitton of aspects for research. That'll help you get along with it. :unsmith:

One time only offer! But I have a soft spot for people frustrated at the research game of thaumcraft, because when they break through we get stuff like this:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Vib Rib posted:

I absolutely hated the old method of Thaumcraft, where everything Aura/Vis related was insanely nebulous, and nodes all recharged from each other or not at all, and you could "run out" of vis, and everything was based on this impossible algorithm over the entire world. Sky Den suffered so much from this system that some people actually DID run out of Vis, and there's nothing you can do about it.

quote:

- Aura nodes don't contain vis anymore and simply refill a chunk as a generator.

Hopefully this will counteract that. Because it was bullshit. :mad:

I am indifferent to these changes as a whole, give us a finished product and improve the research system Azanor. :geno:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Demiurge4 posted:

This is all terrible. :allears:

StealthArcher posted:

Ahahaha, thyrork and his optimism for this shitcunt just got slapped upside the face.

The guy is asking for feedback.

Lets rephrase that for the dense of thinking: The "Awful Modder That You Hate So Much" is prepared to wade knee deep in the shithole that is minecraft's forums for feedback.

This is not someone howling "MY VISION!" and forcing it down your throat. If he's also decent enough to put in good configs without the sass, It'll be a point in his favour in my books.

If you care, you'll say something about it.

But, jesus christ Azanor, what are you doing? Dont loving nerf void jars like that. :cripes: The amount of loving arbor that is generated with NO USE AT ALL is obscene.

E: On the plus side, i cant wait to see OMPI designate a certain part of the world to waste disposal and turn some small island into a toxic hellscape. :getin:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 29, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Eox posted:

The feedback he is looking for is "Everything sounds Fun and Balanced, we'll get back on our knees now." I highly doubt he'll accept anything else.

.... Probably. Look, I don't want to be outright cynical. These changes sound like changes for no other reason then changing things. That's not necessary a bad thing. I mean, so many posters still sound like they hate warp and everything related to it. Warp was a pretty big change when it was first added! Yet it has been significantly improved from its first incarnation based on feedback.
Plus you cant deny its pretty unique in regards to the "resources" mods usually use. Industry has its power needs, magic has its madness costs. That's pretty cool in my eyes.

Yet for all the good, its still saddled behind the worst loving thing in modded minecraft, a unbelievably convoluted research tree and its ghastly minigame, and that's something he'll never budge on. If it was just the scanning part...

I mean for every one of these:

We get at least two people going "I never want to look at thaumcraft again." and three more going "What the gently caress is this poo poo." or some variant of it when starting up for the first time. You want to have fun? Explain to someone how to get started in Thaumcraft. We've had two different goons (me being one of them) write ridiculously long guides and god alone knows how many youtube ones there must be. poo poo's as impenetrable as Fort Knox.

Would any of you hate these changes if they came at the entire research game being axed down to just "Scan a thing, learn a thing."? Too bad that'll never happen.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 29, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Demiurge4 posted:

I posted some feedback. I'm going to get banned probably.

Link, maybe ill nut up and dive into the fetid cesspit alongside you.

Blind Duke posted:

If Void Jars just dumped the extra essentia as Flux into the same place in the Nether and created a new nether-only biome that is Taint 2.0 dangerous containing new treasures that would be cool

:allears: I want stuff like this.

Fortis posted:

I can see it now... Ancient Thaumaturgy - Lost Technology of Days Gone By:

And equally, I want stuff like that too. Heck, its how we got the Everful Urn back.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Azanor from that thread just now posted:

The alembics have been nerfed because in reality they will be getting a relatively big boost as you unlock researches. In theory a single, properly upgraded furnace will be just as fast (if not faster) than the advanced alchemical furnace. Hence its removal. I prefer the idea of organic growth/upgrading of the basic furnace.

:cripes: so basically, its the same tired line the guy who did Foresty gave out in regards to the introduction of multi-block apiaries? Greeeeat.

Alkydere posted:

Only had time for a quick bit of snark before work, hope it provides amusement.

Its very apt snark honestly, Thaumcraft is at its best when its a technological mod powered by magic and forbidden substances. :science:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I threw my hat in, Demiurge4. Lets see how quickly we get banned. :allears:

Also, i totally called on your idea, Blind Duke and gave you passing credit. Suddenly purple eyes that stare and blink, peering out of the netherrack... :stonk:

Demiurge4 posted:

Well he's not completely wrong. The basic idea is basically applying the workshop method to the smelter/alembic in that it grows gradually with your capabilities.

Now that i think about it, its kind of like making the advanced alchemical furnace something you progress towards from the start. I... dont hate that, I just dont want the existing starting line to be shoved back for it.

StealthArcher posted:

And you bitched me out in ts when I compared him to Sengir the splosion-bees man. :allears:

I'm joshing broho.

Unmute TS3 you dink, so I can blow raspberries at you and show how mature and grown up I am at you for being right. :colbert:

Wolfsbane posted:

I never found Thaumcraft that bad to start up in. It's mostly just that people can't be bothered to read the book properly (which is fair enough, it's wordy as poo poo) and miss the part about mixing whatever it is to create the life essence.
Ars Magica on the other hand is a loving nightmare. The unlocking bit of the book doesn't seem to include everything you need to get started, and I'm still not sure exactly how to get power into my spell creation thingy.

Ars Magica is on the far end of a spectrum that has thaumcraft somewhere in the middle, but leaning towards it, and botania on the extreme other end. Deep, technical mods with some degree of documentation, and loving terrible to great implementation of it.

Seriously, Vazkii's done a good job at making Botania accessible.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 29, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Theres also the amazing Thaumic Horizons, which lets you thaumically engineer a pig into a blight feeding machine. :getin:

I really hope that ends up added as a way to beat back the blight. That, and a option to set fire to the world. :flame:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Krakatoah posted:

Speaking of thaumcraft I haven't gotten used to it's warp mechanic yet and it makes me nervous because I can't expect when it's going to bugger me sideways with an eldritch guardian out of nowhere, should I even be worried about it in the long term?

No. Because if you stay away from maddening effects for long enough, you'll be fine. The severity and frequency fades away until it never happens again. If you get any source of madness after that however, you go right back to fully snapped.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Here's another question:

I've always avoided Thaumcraft because I've been more interested in industrial kinds of things in Minecraft. I'm now thinking about getting into it cause it looks interesting.

My only question is what exactly does it offer? I know it's a magic mod, but if you were to try to sell me on it, what are the selling points?

GO UTTERLY MAD. Use a wand to electrocute a creeper! Build a magical mining Laser thats powered by holes in reality that slowly seep magic into the world. Discover a creeping fungoid death, writhing and wiggling and spreading. BECOME COMPLETELY INSANE. Build a multiblock smelter that is Free to use!* Craft magical samurai armour and look like a loving badass! LOSE YOUR MIND. Travel to a faraway magical place of corridors, headcrabs and monstrous creatures created by the diseased mind of a faraway god!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 7, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Not going to entirely agree with KL, but I think I understand the spirit of it. Theres a certain charm in haphazardly thrown together networks, like Factorio's "Baby's first site" if you've ever played it.

I too, like messy factories with crazy pipe nightmares and convoluted wiring/piping. I can see the appeal in neat and orderly, but nah, I like it messy and barely hidden away. :getin:

Unrelated, Thaumic Horizons is A Good Mod:

That's a stabilized thaumic black hole. Apparently the hungry nodes are just babies. :magical: I am so re-creating the dark energy reactor from Half Life 2, Episode 1.

E: Please, please, for the love of god technic crew, get the maker of blightfall onto Thaumic Horizons. You can breed pigs that eat taint. You can literally save the world with thaumically engineered swine. :iia:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 8, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Its not energy related, instead its a very curious crafting mechanism!

For example, you can throw in void ingots, then right click the rift with a wand to get back void putty, a substance that repairs anything at the cost of itself.

Oh, and if you turn off the stabilizers, it becomes a short lived black hole. So theres that too. :unsmigghh:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 9, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

McFrugal posted:

LAME. You can do the repair-anything trick with all sorts of mods.

For example. I'm not spoiling the truly magical stuff.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
TFC talk: You absolutely should get a pal to play it with. Its a whole other experience with someone to share the load, and not in a "Anything can be fun in multiplayer, stupid." way either. Alot of TFC's mechanics are rewarding with cooperation, from farming to animal husbandry. The peak example of this being the smelting process for the more complex alloys.

So is anyone else unreasonabley hyped for "Blightfall 2.0"? I say unreasonably because I know its still going to be the same lovely minecraft combat, but man i cant wait to fight the world for my right to live on a world that very much wants me dead and turn it into a industrialized hellscape paradise for the colonists. :getin:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
E: Wait, TOTALLY vanilla? We had some mods but it was things like smart moving, lamps, water skins and maps. Nothing nearly as massive as the usual modpack. :v:

There was! Stealtharcher was doing (is doing, kinda) a TFC pack. Not sure if the server's still around!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/omp-terrafirmareloaded.598409

Heres the pack then, ask stealtharcher nicely and maybe something will happen! :ssh:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
You die. Where you respawn there is a fairly harmless looking, yet ghostly creature (perhaps a mouse? Skeleton Dog? Undead Horse?), or if you want to be more edgy, some ghostly looking reaper like spectre. I prefer the prior because its more subtle, but either-way, you are dealing with Death. Capital D.

The creature asks you, for the return of your items that it spirited away, you must pay a price. Your memories (XP), Your wealth, (A coin of some kind, perhaps found or created using a process) your valuables, (Death takes a randomly selected number of items and leaves you the rest) or ask for Death to hang around while you sort something out.

I think thats simple enough?

You could expand upon this, perhaps in substitute to "challenging death to a game of chess" you could offer to duel and get a fight of random difficulty (to surprise the overconfident!) or earn the favour of Death by performing a certain task, say laying the dead to rest in a way that would please Death's sensibilities or building monuments and/or tombs and all that.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Awesome ambience, any sources for it? :haw:

Also is that SCT's art or someone else?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

This has to mean something, but its not galactic standard and its not any common runic language i can find with google.

Also saying it here too; gently caress you Kaker and technic, you wonderful people, i loves me my ARG's. :swoon:

E: Assuming it doesn't, we should pool together a nice ambient playlist to enjoy while playing Blightfall. Minecraft's default music doesn't quiet match the tone. ;) Any suggestions?

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 9, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Progress so far, I have gone slightly mad. Going to be crushed if this ends up being gibberish! :unsmigghh:

Dont judge, its a lazy sunday.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Threep posted:

SHOULD BE NOTED THAT REVERSING THE ENCHANTMENT IS A BIT TRICKIER AS IT IS NOT TRULY THE LAND THAT IS TAINTED BUT THE AURA OF THE LAND ITSELF

ONE MUST APPLY THE NECESS

It was obvious which letters were "the" and then "enchantment" was the only word that fit in there which made the rest easy

:neckbeard: Awesome! I was going slowly and got to here before you beat me:

Now, someone else crack the right one!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Oh hey, thanks!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Day 4 in the Big Brother Spaceship.

Make sure you click the tendril again. :stare:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 10, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Magres posted:

Something for Blightfall 3.0 ;)

Tearing Blightfall free of the constraints of Minecraft's engine and building an entire game around it (Kind of Skyrim like) would be a game I'd gleefully throw money at. :homebrew:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
:stare: wait, WHAT? A floating city?! I thought I 100% blightfalls release map! The most trippy thing I remember is the floating rock formations that were "supported" by glowstone. :allears:

This is the music I've got so far for Blightfall, more recommendations are welcome, I'll make sure to update this post if anything is suggested!

Dark Ambient Playlist by Atrium Carceri.

My good stuff:
X-2 specifically Restless Andromeda and Deep Waters. The rest of the X franchise should have other winners too.
From what I've heard so far (Dark Ambient Space Music) Simon Wilkinson should be solid.
Eldritch's OST is good, but its not all on youtube! :( R'lyeh Bandcamp for the rest.

The rest:
Starcraft's Zerg themes from all releases.
The Tiberium Wasteland ambience in Tiberium Wars & Kane's Wrath.
XCOM: Enemy Within, Terror from the Deep and Apocalypse's music should fit better.
Ironically enough, the various Blight themed music from Wildstar should be good.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 12, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Samuel L Jackson has words of wisdom for us.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Glory of Arioch posted:

does the day 6 page have anything new, if it does i can't find it :smithfrog:

Day 6 isn't up yet! Day 5 added the dogtags and the chicken claw.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

:aaa:

e: cant figure anything out!

Its updated, the timer can be clicked now.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 12, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Glory of Arioch posted:

lawl minecraft drama still exists? journeymap not in blightfall due to MINECRAFT DRAMA

also the version of botania is super old i will probably fix both

:cripes:

Also im going to tinker with the mods after a first playthrough perhaps. Or at least a bunch of hours.

Magres posted:

Fastleafdecay is gone :gonk:

TREE GODS WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN ME

I imagine fast leaf decay would make the rotting forests surreal as entire patches vanish infront of you.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Oh my loving god, did the guy who does Journymap really loving delete 4.0.5 from his downloads? :psyduck:

I mean, Here is the patch notes for a version called 4.0.5, yet Unless I am very much blind, there is no 4.0.5 version on that list, it only goes to 4.0.4.

Please tell me im cracking up. :psyboom:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Thanks for the food box, Captain Shiitake!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I'm very fond of Hardcore Darkness (not so much its name, kinda misleading!), and I put it into Blightfall.

Kinda crappy gif

New Moons are very dark, but it adds an ambience that I adore, and its so goddamned creepy in Blightfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

quote:

The thread's feelings on Warp and Azanor's "MUH VISIUN."

You're all mostly right that its hot bullshit, BUT its also fixable!

1: Open to Lan.
2: Read the Cheat'o'nomicon
3: /tc help
4: Find the bit about warp. I think it goes /tc warp <player name> <Perm/temp/something> <set/add/remove> <amount>
5: Set your three categories of warp to 0.

He did also turn down spooky ghosts by making them weaker in the Overworld and not doing anything with Thaumcraft lowers event severity and frequency until it stops (doesn't touch your warp level tho!) so there's that.

Have fun dying in the Corridors of the Mind, that place is some hot bullshit but hey, you only need to do it once. :unsmigghh:

If you want my alternative to that, which still lets you enjoy going insane, do the following.

1: Lan
2: /tc help
3: Find the bit about aspects. I think it goes /tc aspect <player name> <aspect name / All > <set/add/remove> <amount>
4: Give yourself 2000 of every aspect.
5: Cherry pick the research you want, go insane on your own time.

I really wish he'd gate research behind threshold unlocks, like Botania's "throw the book into an elven gateway." thing. :smith: Or at least throw more solutions to the various warp effects. Sunlight literally killing you? Go down to bedrock and go into total darkness, duration significantly reduced. Deadly G(l)aze? Blind yourself with a potion and the two nullify each other.