Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Any recommendations for a good lighter modpack? Thinking <100 mods. Me and my friends want to play again but mega packs like resonate rise killed some peoples computers and also the server. A mix between building/exploration would be preferred but I'm not sure how common that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Hey what mod adds the little banners in the top left that announce if a chunk is claimed or wilderness? This is in the FTB 1.10.2 beta pack

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Thanks serifina! In other news, anyone got experience with RFTools dimensions in 1.10? Do I reaaallyy need to walk thousands of blocks towards a rare biome if I want to make a dimlet of it? Cant seem to figure out the random dimension thing since I made one, it has a jungle biome with floating islands but hitting extract doesn't do poo poo.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So I want to update a couple mods for my server, but they want me to update forge. How would I go about that for client/serverside stuff?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Have any good adventure mods been made for 1.10? I like to build awesome poo poo but sometimes I want to build a base and then hunt down cool bosses and monsters or something. I know monster fighting stuff have never been a strongpoint in minecraft but I want to do something other than build the perfect "infinite" resource setup for the sake of it. Like, I remember a long, long time ago there was a surge in mods like that (kings quest?, TF, Aether, etc) but there doesn't seem to be anything thats still supported.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So now that minecraft seems to be releasing new versions relatively quickly, what's going to happen with mods? It feels like 1.10 had barely gotten all the big mods updated to it when 1.11 came out, and now people are talking about a 1.12 in the works? Having more updates is great but breaking all the mods every year or something kind of sucks.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Anyone know how modded minecraft works performance wise for LAN servers? I currently have 5GB RAM allocated to minecraft and a 3.5Ghz processor, should I be able to run a LAN server for me and my gf with no problems? Or would I be better off setting up a third computer/player as a "host" to do all the RAM loading poo poo. For reference 5GB RAM seems to be around the minimum for the pack to start quickly (not sure why). Minecraft also seems to use most of the 5GB when running but when has it ever not used all RAM available lol

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Do you guys think theres enough goon interest in a casual modded minecraft server more focused on building good looking poo poo instead of the most balanced gameplay? I'd like to run a server again but I can't really afford the server costs every month without some help

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

If anyone is interested I started up a casual modded server

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853116

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I spend hours loving with timers and redstone and conveyer belts to make a semi-auto kekimuru setup and I just found out I could have done it all with an actually additions dropper with a pressure plate. FML

Also is there an irc or discord server that goons hang out in to talk about minecraft or do I have to tolerate the redditors when I want to talk about modded stuff

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I updated a bunch of mods and forge now I’m suddenly getting lag spikes that run my cpu to 100% :smith:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Black Pants posted:

If you've got Astral Sorcery you can feed kekimurus fully-auto by linking a floating crystal to pumpkins, which will starlight-transmute them into cakes. You can also use AS to speed up pumpkin growth, too.

But it isn't as cute as THIS

Finally got the whole thing working, shame about the weird lag spikes

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Can you make a thermal expansion portable tank? It works as a bucket in a crafting table and will consume multiple buckets of liquid inside in a single crafting shift-click.

Woaahhh I had no idea they could be used that way. Speaking of TE is there a fast way to get the servos off the various TE pipes that does not involve breaking and replacing them? Kind of annoying when I’m upgrading that crap

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

What kind of packs are you looking for? Like ones that are more progression or building focused, or magic vs tech. I guess the most general would be some sort of kitchen sink pack?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I say add mystical agriculture because I did the plant art for it :pseudo:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I am tired of only using vanilla leaves when building poo poo and the chisels and bits mod author has straight up told me that he doesn't want to automatically register all leaves in the oredict with his mod because he feels it isn't his job. He told me to reference this for the registration:

https://github.com/SlimeKnights/Tin...ndBits.java#L32

how feasible would it be to make my own mod/ask someone who knows how to mod minecraft to do the registration?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah looking back on it now I think I sounded way more terse and annoyed at the mod author than I intended :blush:

I know how to program in Java but I have no experience with Minecraft modding so I wasn't sure if the example he posted could be done outside of a mod. Asking in the modded Minecraft discord just ended up in an argument where nerds tried to tell me that leaves aren't even supported by the mod at all :shrug:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

GotDonuts posted:

My wife and I are looking for a pack to make pretty things in, also tech is a must because she loves the ore doubling (or more with mek and other mods) and different forms of flight beyond extra utils. But pretty things are the must, seems like a lot of packs we play focus on chisel n bits which does allow for some awesome things but also has the result of potentially slowing her crap pc to a crawl in areas that I go too crazy with many blocks. We both miss architecturecraft and carpenters blocks but both of those seem to not be updated to 1.12 Any suggestions on what we could play to get our lego on proper.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for since it's a pack I threw together for my girlfriend and I to play with basically the same goal :v:

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/casualcraft

Note that there is like no optimization or anything since it's just a bunch of mods I thought looked pretty + some tech and magic stuff and as a result needs like 5GB ram to run. If you use the twitch launcher you can use it as a starting point and cut down though.

Actually can someone explain to me how mod pack people seem to reduce ram usage while still having like 100+ mods. Like what do you even optimize?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah I'm really disappointed that enderIO people seemed to have developed the "useless busywork = fun" brain worms. Time to stand around some bedrock and light it on fire repeatedly to get anything done!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Grimoire of Gaia's anime tits make me laugh every time I remember them.

The boobs are cubes!! Someone worked so hard on cube boobs! :laffo:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ack astral sorcery needs a lot of space. I usually like to build an area ahead of time when working on a mod, about how much space should I reserve for all of the astral sorcery crafting stuff?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

These mods are getting complicated

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

My favorite storage mod is Project E fite me :colbert:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

McFrugal posted:

I'd just like to take a moment here to praise Chisels and Bits. If anything, it's amazing just for the ability to make stairs out of any block I want.

I really love and hate chisels and bits. On one hand its amazing on the other hand I spend hours on some stairs and its not even done :shepicide:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Or at least use multiMC to handle forge stuff if you want customize mods yourself. Be warned though if you like a ton of mods, mod packs tend to have some mod specific workarounds for compatibility that you might not realize you need (stuff like preventing overlapping recipes, number balancing, sometimes performance stuff that I don't understand)

Xun fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 8, 2019

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Does little tiles work on modded leaves?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

If you're struggling with forge and mod version poo poo I'd recommend you try out the twitch launcher to handle that stuff since it's pretty trivial to mess with forge versions with that

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Do you guys think Project Ozone will be good for teaching a kid modded Minecraft? My girlfriends little sister really wants to play but I don't really want to recommend you tubers for tutorials considering I can't vet all of their stuff.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Patware posted:

i think packs like that are good for teaching, with the implication that you're having an active role in the process, rather than setting them down like "FIGURE IT OUT"

Tbh I'd love to do that but the little sister lives in the next country over :(

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Actually has there been any updates from the fastcraft guy? I saw that he was working on a new version a long time ago and then nothing.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Stevefin posted:

So I have been playing vanilla minecraft again after many years of putting it down and starting to get into mod packs to try but I always have the same problem no matter which one I choose, The game seems to lag as if I have 999 ping despite playing in single player and vanilla never having this issue, is there a way to fix this at all?

do you give the modded packs enough ram?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Theres a few 1.12 modded minecraft servers in PGS. I don't think any of them are running ATM3 but some like Progress have pretty beefy modpacks

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

And that is why I always play with ProjectE :downs: I don't even bother abusing EMC loops or collectors, the QoL of going mining and then being able to grab components without having to craft every one manually is awesome.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

BlondRobin posted:

Hey, there was that pack the Blightfall developer was supposed to be working on that got shown off a bit in this thread. Hopefully that'll come out someday! I'm also kind of hoping that underwater pack pushed a bit earlier is cool, but we'll see.

TBH though most of my time spent playing Minecraft lately is just tossing mods into a folder and playing with them. I just got done with one pack like that; I don't bother setting up a progression, but honestly a 'progression' often feels like an excuse to add multiple tech mods and force you to use all of them when they're redundant. I'd rather go 'oh, I should build (a power system) because I need power' 'oh, I should build resource processing because I need a lot of this for another mod', 'oh, I have a lot of stuff, I should build an rftools storage monitor (never use AE)' than need to build Block X to build Widget Y.

Progression-based packs can be fun, certainly (I did like exoria, until it hit environmental tech/infinite resources, and sevtech ages was fun when I was playing it with friends) but it's way too much trouble when I'm rolling my own pack. Most mods are pretty well assembled and can work together as-is, as long as you don't need to install every single tech mod off forge and demand a raison d'etre from each and every one of them.

Then again, when I'm not wandering swamps or horrible monster dimensions, I mostly just end up building big, expansive kitchens and dining areas, so my opinion is probably not the best about what Minecraft should be.

100% True Authentic Artistic Vision Minecraft Experience

You're build looks super good! I also like to build weirdly elaborate buildings, although I tend to build empty buildings that I leave sitting around until my girlfriend fills them with kitchens and dining areas :v: Which mod adds the placeable food items?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

BlondRobin posted:

That's HeatAndClimate, a Japanese-developed mod that I guess would be most cleanly described as 'Better With Mods Meets Pam's Harvestcraft, Also Fire Hurts.' It's a good core mod to expand Minecraft, probably my favorite; it changes the game so blocks and dimensions which would have temperature... do that thing. Magma is hot to stand around, ice is cool, etc. and you can place these near each other to mitigate the effects, wear armor to increase your comfortable range etc. Then it uses this mostly to do things like making metal processing an in-world thing where you put blocks of dust in special environments to smelt them. Also part of that, it also has a lot of food- way less than Pam's Harvestcraft, but way more than most other mods- and apply the same thing to them. That brick stove in the screenshot is actually functional! You can make chili in the pot halfway off the screen to the right, too.

It also adds really big, satisfying ore chunks to find, some really quite good-looking gear, a handful of weird magical accessories based around gems and the reason I called it like Better With Mods, a whole bunch of machines that use kinetic energy, usually generated with or manipulating the temperature systems above. Also a hilarious series of chemical reactions to make plastics (which then you can press into acryllic glass, synthetic fibers for clothes or fake fur), smokeless gunpowder et. al. because apparently the mod-maker thinks chemistry is super fun.

As a bonus, the entire thing visually looks extremely Katamari Damacy-style kitsch.

Edit: If you saw AppleMilkTea for 1.7.10, this is basically the successor to that mod.

Oh poo poo this looks amazing, I'll have to install it ASAP. Have you tried it with modded biomes as well? I see that it does stuff with biome humidity/temperature but I don't know if that's something they added or working with something innate to minecraft biomes so modded ones would have them too.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Also small detail about chisels and bits patterns/blocks is that the rotation is relative to which direction you are facing. So if you are say, looking at a vertical slab from the side when you make the pattern, if you then turn to face that slab head on and try to place the pattern next to that slab the result would be a vertical slab rotated 90 degrees from the original. Youll need to check your keybinds to fix it or craft a wrench. Luckily when placing patterns you'll be able to preview this before committing.

You can also face the space you want to place the pattern from another angle.

Another useful trick is using a mirror pattern. First you right click on a design with one, the face you right click is the one that is mirrored. Don't be afraid to trial and error this, patterns are reuseable and supposed to be cheap. Then you craft the mirror pattern with either a positive or negative pattern and you can now place/carve the mirrored design.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Patware posted:

would it be accurate to say that doing heavy work in chisels and bits would require you to clear almost every other keybind out first, because it sounds like there's a lot of little functions

like it sounds powerful but it also sounds like you'll be begging for the ability to switch completely between keybind sets

Ehhh yes and no. I only really use the key bind to bring up the radial menu and sometimes rotate, but you can craft a wrench to do the rotating for you too. However you can also just key bind loving everything if you want and yeah that will need a lot of keys

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I only install IE because I like the redstone wires and I'm too dumb to figure out other mods redstone :downs:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Or minimize the launch window and also have it load really fast. Just wait for the menu music to reopen it. Works for all modpacks, by the way. Something about doing window refreshes to update what it's doing slows the load way down.

:eyepop: whaaaaaaattt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

SexyBlindfold posted:

:wave: Hey thread! Here's some fancy designs i've done in modded creative:

These use various combinations of chisel, chisel & bits, architecturecraft, blockcraftery and quark (for the painted wood blocks only). These are in a modpack of about ~100 mods from a multiplayer server I'm in, though they're basically the only mods I get any mileage from (along with maybe MrCrayfish's furniture for interiors) since about 80% of the modpack is engineering and trains mods and I'm exclusively interested in making pretty buildings.

On that note, what are some of y'all's favorite 'cosmetic' mods? i.e. those that are mostly aimed at adding building blocks for the sake of appearance and 'atmosphere'? I was in another server that used decocraft, but I read somewhere that it's not very optimized performance-wise, though I can't tell I noticed a difference. Also, has anyone tried Littletiles? The server I'm in plans to eventually replace C&B for littletiles since it's got like 10x more features, and the only downside I've seen from the videos I've checked is that Littletiles' interface seems less intuitive than C&B, but I was wondering if anyone who's tried both can shed further light as to how they compare.

Lastly, does anyone have a clue about how much of a strain chisel&bits blocks take on the game's performance? When I play on the multiplayer server it's extremely laggy but that could be due to a number of causes, so I don't know just how sparingly I should use C&B blocks or if it's fine to have entire sculpted facades lining a street.

C&B is ridiculously well optimized, when I'm playing on my own server I make basically everything out of bits and I only get performance hits when I start building machine walls lol.

Other mods I like alot is ATL candles, it's a lot of torch alternatives and I think they're pretty cute. It saves me the trouble of having to make tiny lamps or chandeliers out of C&B. I also end up using flat colored blocks quite a bit, mostly for the variety of glass and glowing blocks for accents. It's really nice not to be limited to 16 colors without needing to go through bee breeding or something, although I wish it worked with wood. I usually have Forestry (with Binnies mods) installed for that and then cheat in the wood blocks. Then there's some old stuff like bibliotek, BoP, Natura. I really like decorative trees and my only wish is to be able to chisel modded leaf blocks. I haven't tried Littletiles yet either, does anyone know if it can work with all leaves and liquids too?

Actually heres a modpack I made awhile back where I just threw in every decorative (and tech) mods I like if you want to take a look :v: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/casualcraft/relations/dependencies

Note, I have no idea how any of these affect performance

Xun fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 5, 2019