Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

And server lagging clouds

Clouds don't lag servers.

They are really ugly though so I always turn them off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

That's its whole purpose. It's really funny hearing people talk about how it needs a "usability" upgrade or it's underpowered or whatever compared to other mods - the entire purpose of that mod is some visual variety. It works for that.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

TrenceJ posted:

Ok, My first few days back into Minecraft have been quite eventful, but now I am starting to get really annoyed with the changes.

I hooked up a bunch of basic fluiducts from a tinkers smelter, with basic servos. Within seconds they all exploded and spilled liquid Iron everywhere.

I have looked through the configs for TE, and cannot see a way to turn this off.

Please tell me there is a way.

Read the item tooltips

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

poxin posted:

Wanting to setup a minecraft server on linux for a friend of mine. Is there a recommended server setup/wrapper to use? He was interesting in setting up mods on there as well which looked like some required Forge.

I'm really not sure and walking in the dark on this.

Look up Forge and follow its server installation guide (it's simple) then put mods in the mods folder. That's literally it, setting up a basic server is really simple. Just make sure the mods are for 1.7.10, beyond that if you use the newest Forge they should all work.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bigperm posted:

Greg doesn't use any version control at all and literally doesn't have the code for GT5 anymore since he overwrote it for GT6.

Hahahahaha this is both unbelievably hilarious and totally unsurprising. git is not that hard to use :psyduck:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Why do people still put up with TC, it's been terrible for ages

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

There is no mod people complain about more than TC. Yet everyone still plays it.

Here's an idea, don't play the bad mod that you hate that is always getting worse.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

I dunno I feel like people only complain about it because they actually like the good stuff and want it without the garbage. Nobody bothers to complain about the mods that are 100% rubbish because that's most of them and who has the time?

Just play botania, you get a lot of the good stuff with none of the garbage

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

If you can help me automate the runic altar I promise I will.

You can do it with AE. A mix of export busses, interfaces, and an open crate. Can be refined further with some other pipes and an RF tools timer.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

What does an "endgame" armor setup look like in something like Sigma?

EnderIO powered armor is the usual choice these days

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

There don't appear to be any useful mods like tinkers, or any of the factory style mods available for 1.8 either.

I don't get why everyone has such a hard on for 1.7

They don't have a hard on for 1.7, 1.8 just really sucks to mod for, more so than 1.7 does. No big mods have showed up in 1.8 yet, really.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

alternate answer: remove forestry

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Goncyn posted:

Looks like it's under active development to me? I was watching a recent Forgecraft2 episode, and the developer was on voice talking about his plans and how much work he's put into getting the basic features rock-solid.
https://github.com/pahimar/Equivalent-Exchange-3/commits/master

It's been "under development" for like 2+ years, and he constantly talks about features and new crazy things, and then never does them. He never actually makes progress, just talks a lot.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

vibur posted:

So it's XYCraft?

Pretty much. But people still take it more "seriously" than xycraft because super bare-bones versions of it exist.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Goncyn posted:

I couldn't stop thinking about this, so I did it. Here's my first pass at a set of custom recipes for AE2. I got rid of the inscriber, the grinder, and certus quartz entirely while keeping the quantity of materials required for everything almost the same. I still have a little work to do -- it's not possible to craft Quantum Entangled Singularities without another mod (EnderIO) that adds Ender Dust, and I still think some of the recipes could be simplified further, but I'm already pretty happy with how it turned out.

https://github.com/wjrogers/ae2-reduced

If you use EnderIO, you might want to put this in config/enderio too:

https://gist.github.com/wjrogers/f0d47792b14d710a62ed

AE2 removes redundant materials by itself, so if you don't have EnderIO, AE2 end dust will magically appear.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

StealthArcher posted:

I've tried messing more with this, but I've still got nothing to show for it. Would really like my MTweak stuff for the new OMPi version to work. Nobody knows anything about this?

It doesn't work in 1.7, fullstop. The recipe modifier in MT for TE was a port of the one in 1.6, but TE was heavily refactored in 1.7 so it just doesn't work anymore. It would require modifications by MT people or TE people (or both) to be fixed.

My "workaround" in Progress was just making the recipes for machines in other mods (usually EIO) to fill the gap.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Danith posted:

Are there any mods or mod packs where you can do stuff with AI people, like recruit people to harvest things for you?

Helpful villagers mod. You'll never find it on a server though because it's really laggy.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

Thanks. But it still has the problem of requiring energy bursts per teleport.

I guess my problem is more to do with the fact mod makers seem to think there has to be a huge cost/penalty for fast and easy transport whereas I feel like the lack of an easy way to go to or from locations really discourages exploration.

I wish someone just made something like openblocks elevators with the three dyable nodes like ender tanks so you could place them anywhere, tune them to each other with dye, teleport at will and just forget about it.

It is a very low cost. Even a small battery will give you several teleports.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

is there a way to get a minecraft install that is NOT in %appdata%? this is really hosed up, that they provide an installer now that lets you choose a directory, but it only puts a shortcut to the launcher in there and everything still goes to my hidden system folders.

Use any launcher at all and you can move it wherever

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Danny Glands posted:

I have heard that Microsoft will be adding a minecraft mod-writing environment to Visual Studio.

For the new Windows 10 one? Didn't they say it had no plans for mod support?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Are there any good newish HQM packs? Ones that aren't skyblocks.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

A pack focused around Botania sounds like it would be cool, even a skyblock one could be neat (Though probably boring like all skyblocks). But only Botania? Ehhh.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Looking for 1-3 people to play ME^4 with. I'm sick and have nothing to do so I'm gonna be poopsockin it, looking for someone else who will be able to play for more than an hour or two. I'll have a server up in a little a few.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Technic rehost of ME4: http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/material-energy41.694013

Server IP: 192.99.148.123

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Anias posted:

Videos pay the bills. It turns out that paying the bills goes up in importance when you have kids, not down.

So does a real job

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

Just popped my head into the OP since I'm starting up Minecraft again as a free time killer and I never payed much attention to them before an I have two questions: Who is this RichardG fellow and why is he such a class act and who is this CovertJaguar fellow? whats the stories on these, because looking at the screen caps I can get a basic idea but it feels like some stuff is lost "if you weren't there" or something like that

Most of that is super old drama from yesteryear. RichardG made industrialcraft (the first big tech mod after buildcraft), CovertJaguar made Railcraft, which came not long after. RichardG hasn't been around forever, CJ is a huge sperg who likes to DMCA and whine. Most of the OP is only relevant as of like 2-3 years ago.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Tony Homo posted:

Goons. Is woodcraft good? My 9 year old son loves it and just this morning asked me if I would "buy" some sort of flame thing. I clicked and sent me to the woodycraft site where you can buy stuff. Is it legit?

Is that a server? Never buy stuff from a server. If you're going to pay for a server at most just pay a subscription (But really you shouldn't do that either). Lots of servers have raised scamming people via their kids blocky desires to an art form.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Just moved in with a new roommate who's also a sucker for survival games, so I'm back to modding MC. But there's a slight problem: he runs on a 32-bit processor/OS. While it can handle modded MC just fine, his Java is throttled at 1 gig which makes adapting my existing pack (based on Resonant Rise 3) drat near impossible thanks to the orgy of mods you can't remove without breaking it. What would be a good, light pack to start slapping things onto?

He could buy a computer for $200 that annihilates his current one.

Laugh at him.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Use fastcraft instead of optifine

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Oh, I assumed you were on 1.7. No, it won't work.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Edit: On an unrelated note, it's half depressing, half amusing seeing parcel31u gently caress up ME^4 worse and worse the more he updates it. Fluxed Crystals isn't even in the modpack anymore, and that was like one of the core mods.

Good, that mod was total grindy garbage next to a (mostly) good modpack otherwise.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Babby Sathanas posted:

Are there any big modpacks with tech and magic stuff that have HQM to push you in directions and progressions that aren't frustrating "hardcore" experiences?

Didn't there used to be a yogs pack that was basically this? That was forever ago though.

Material Energy 3 and 4 are really fun, minus a few grindy quests. They're guided in a custom made map that sets everything up almost like it's own game in itself. Impact Flux is also really fun, and takes place in a normal open world so you can mix doing your own thing and doing the quests as you please.

McFrugal posted:

Are you talking about the same mod I am? Fluxed Crystals was like an alternative to Magical Crops that used RF and had some configs for changing how the "crops" grew. I don't see how that could be considered grindy, and it compensated for minechem being nerfed to hell. Now, the quests relating to Fluxed Crystals, THOSE were loving grindy garbage. Seriously, those compressed theobromine quests... That said, it WAS a laggy, buggy mess, and only after a third party patch was it playable on ME^4 1.0.4.

Yeah. I dislike mods that let you get any resource through the same method, especially when they have so many pointless manual steps, and leave behind so many intermediate items. Plant the seeds, break the plants with a custom tool, then place those crystals and break them again with a custom tool, then place THOSE crystals into a machine that refines them, then finally place the result into a final machine that will produce your output with an unknown number of crystals.

Conceptually, it's just really bland. Make anything with crystals!... Just because. There are lots of ways to gather resources in MC, and many mods have their own unique take on it. Being able to get almost any important resource all through growing it from the ground even when it makes no sense is basically the bottom of the barrel from a design perspective. Unlike some other things that have Conceptually or thematically interesting steps, e.g. ore to dust to ingots with metals, which makes sense and adds an interesting progression, fluxed crystals just goes seeds to crystals to crystals to crystals to.... Anything.

Not only that but automating it is, depending on the step, either really annoying or not possible, at least with what ME4 gives you. So it's just a ton of busywork, where if you need a resource badly you basically just sit around waiting for it to grow so you can manually take it through all the steps, or leave and come back later and be really annoyed by all the steps it requires. On top of all that, the steps just leave you with a bunch of junk. You get shitloads of extra seeds which you don't need, then after all the refining processes you're left with a bunch of leftover crystals because each thing takes a different arbitrary number of crystals to "balance" it, instead of balancing with something like power consumption or growth speed.

And yeah, it's definitely not helped along by the grindy quests that ME4 added for it.

Minechem and magical crops have many of the same problems, but they at least don't have ALL of the flaws that fluxed crystals does. Generally I hate Minechem, but overall I feel like ME4's use of it was pretty good (except when you needed a ton of soul sand).

Taffer fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 24, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Kortel posted:

Little confused, do I use the Bukkit version or the Forge version? We don't use Forge unless Technic Launcher is forge?

If you use a modpack you use Forge. The Forge version is a safe bet, just make sure you get the right one for the version of MC your pack is on.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blind Duke posted:

Those backpacks are the only ones that will replace stuff in your hotbar if it gets too low. The other backpack mod that advertised doing that has the problem of only restocking when you pick up an item. So if you are not paying attention you will use up all the blocks in a stack and have to go into the backpack to set it back in your hotbar.

It's infuriating that nobody else has gotten that right yet

Because that method requires checking every backpack on every player every tick, and it's unnecessarily laggy. Just use invtweaks to restock.

Iron backpacks does everything else forestry backpacks do, except way better, and you don't need bees to make the good ones.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Blind Duke posted:

There's no way that a method for checking if you are using the last block in a stack doesn't exist outside of on tick events, I refuse to accept that it's that badly programmed

IIRC, in forestry it constantly fills it, not just when you're using the last block in a stack. Invtweaks can replace stacks when you finish them, and I'm not sure what method it uses to do that. I'm just on a phone so it's too much of a pain to check, but I believe iron backpacks has something that works similarly to Invtweaks.

Regardless of what can/can't be done, checking every tick is how forestry does it, that's why if you ever check opis on a server with forestry, each player entity will be using way more tick time than they would be without. It should really never be a surprise that MC or its mods are programmed like poo poo.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Howmuch posted:

I really want to put that modpack on my server for my friends that have never really played with mods.
I've only installed modpacks through point-and-click installers at my hosts control panel so I don't really know where to start with setting up a server for BFSR. :(

Install Forge (there are instructions for that all over), run it and accept the eula etc., copy the modpack files and folders into the server, and delete any client-only mods if there are any (they'll crash on launch). That's it. Setting up a server is pretty easy.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Carados posted:

How do I update Forge for a pack?

Thanks for the help, by the way.

Moving the pack into MultiMC is the easiest way. Modifying packs in their parent launchers is usually a hassle, and sometimes the changes will be reverted when you launch it. Best to migrate it somewhere where changing it is easier.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

AnimalChin posted:

Is there a way to mod a server without requiring users to mess with forge? I want to run a server with a few pretty simple mods (treecapitator or similar, ruins/battletowers or similar) that my friends can easily connect to without having to deal with the mess that is forge and multiple profiles in the stock launcher.

IIRC it is possible to do worldgen mods that don't add any blocks server-side without clients needing Forge, and maybe treecapitator, but I don't have any first-hand experience with that. If you wanna do a lightly modded server though I'd generally just recommend making a Technic pack and have them get that launcher. Installing your pack will literally be like a 3-click process, and updating it to add stuff later will be headache free.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Every modpack needs fastcraft in it, the world generation improvements are absolutely enormous. Like, going from 20 second startup with constant worldgen jitter to a 3 second startup with buttery smooth on-the-fly generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Do /hqm edit and edit the quest to complete it.