Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Reposting for new thread: I'd like it if someone made some kind of tool that made laying down long lengths of cables faster / simpler.

I generally use the builder's wand or there is also a block placer that builds walls of cable,

also i wonder has anyone tried using the Drawbridge to place cables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Serifina posted:

Goddammit. I clearly care too much about Minecraft. I need to go play something else for a few months.

Well last night myself and one of the most active moderators on the public server i play on decided to stop fiddling with ME systems and went and did 2 co op levels of Splinter Cell Blacklist :)

And i have Elite Dangerous to play as well

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Builder's wand is only really useful if you want to make a line of cable right next to existing cable, although maybe it would be slightly faster than finding the right hover spot for ender IO. Not sure what the other block placer you're talking about is, but I'd love to hear about it.

Drawbridge is an interesting idea. I feel like I may have tried it before but don't remember the result, hmm. I know I used to build railcraft tanks with MFFS, which is kind of a great time saver actually, and you can use any color tank parts too.

Thinking about it i think it was a spell in Ars magika or thaumcraft or something like that.

All i remember was having to put a lot of blocks in my inventory and it would place down a 3 high wall

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

That's also when his mod was dropped from any official ftb mod packs and a lot of popular streamers stopped using his mod. Along with him making it more and more tedious.

The thing that put me off Gregtech was the requirement to make hammer and screwdriver to make an iron pick.... so you finally find your 3 iron ore and then discover you need another 10 ingots just to make that iron pick,

Thanks, bye...( Heads to grind Galacticraft because it may be slow but not the horror of Gregtech...)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask. I remember at some point in modded minecraft, I could hold shift and hover over items with the mouse to move things to or from crafting/inventory, and it was very convenient. I don't seem to be able to do that any more, although shift clicking, spacebar, middle click to sort etc all still work. Was that a feature of something that isn't common anymore, or something I have to enable in a config or something?

Well, you can't shift click into a crafting bench as which slot should it go into?
they do have left click and drag to even out, right click and drag to place one of each

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Doh, I forgot about those. As it turned out my solution was to dig some more with the flint pickaxe until suddenly it could mine iron. :downs:

Thats the other way of doing it,

With my pack (MorePower II ) I have tinkers + iguana

Flint - use until it levels up and gets another slot + random boost. keep using until head levels up then you can get level +1
Swap out head and relevel
rinse repeat

Every time i level a pick i get Fortune, Speed, Autorepair and the one i hate - Auto smelting

Edit: sometimes i do get durability but its usually fortune (if not I add fortune)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Danny Glands posted:

I still can't believe some people still prefer ComputerCraft. The lack of Unicode box drawing characters to use, among other things, are why I prefer OpenComputers -- but the admins decided that CC was the "better" choice.

CC is only worth it if MiscPeripherals is added

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I just make a 7x7 internal and place a soulcage above the middle, with a Tier 5 Villager shard - mega emeralds

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

chippocrates posted:

Isn't a tier 5 soul shard incredibly tedious to make? Or did they change it back to let you combine them on an anvil again?

I just catch a villager in a safari net and put in the MFR spawner with a Soul Stealer V sword in a specially constructed killing room which moves any villagers down into a 1x1x3 hole where i can look in from outside at foot level, and just mash the villager bomb, getting 6 souls per kill.

but my mob farm is ridonculous i was at one point getting 20k Leather per 5-10 seconds.

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 14, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

Doesn't the shock focus sometimes set them on fire? Can't collect ender pearls if they keep teleporting 12 chunks away into some random cave.

of course imbued Sword will kill an E-man with one hit, - or for me I just send them into diamond spikes

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone in here know anything about Advanced Generators? I can't work out for the life of me how to actually get it to produce power on its own without other mods. The Steam Turbine seems to need steam from BR (in which case why not make a BR turbine) and the gas turbine needs gases from other mods too, near as I can tell. :confused:

They are easy, Turbines + Fuel + Storage + controller + input port + flux output

pump fuel of some kind in, Usually I find some oil gusher and pump that into a refinery to make fuel, (bio fuel also works)
Pump into the generator and you have power

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

CrazyTolradi posted:

The high end EnderIO cables can transmit 24k RF/t or there's the Cryo-Stabilised Fluxducts from Thermal Dynamics which have no throughput limit.

or straight into a tessaract which has no limit either

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

If TE steam dynamos do something different under the hood than my math, then my bad. I just know that coal burns for 1600 ticks in a furnace, so figured 80 RF/t from a stock dynamo * 1600 ticks/coal * 64 coal. :shrug:

If that's the case maybe I'll try advanced generators again next weekend. Boy loving hell is that mod Iron-expensive, though, my god. At least Big Reactor's yellorite fetish is confined to something useless for anything else in the game.

I have 4 big reactors with ludicrite turbines producing a total of 120,000 RF/t - just what i need for my 40 Laser drills

and thats a 7x7x3 reactor with 9 fuel rods venting straight into a 7x7x17 turbine with 29 blocks of ludicrite at the bottom for the coils

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Threep posted:

Most major mods will probably never come out for 1.8. Ask again when 1.9 is out.

Well Pixelmonmod 4.0.4 released at the weekend....

A lot of work has been put into it, and more work is on going...
(I have to work on the battlecode and clean it up)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

m2pt5 posted:

Is it compatible with NEI yet?

Dunno, but all the items i think are being registered with Ore dictionary. - but i havent looked into that part of the code recently. - Not since i fixed the slow loading of Pixelutils

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Anyone have any advice on moving structures across modpacks and saves? I'm tired of rebuilding everything from nothing, if I could save even the basic structures of my old places (replaced with vanilla blocks if needed), that would be a huge help. Is this even a particularly possible thing?

edit: Like I'm seeing some structures/schematics folder in my not-yet-updated omp-i install, is that from something that could save building layouts?

World Edit allows you to select an area then create a schematic which you can import into another server by putting the file into its schematic folder

On one server we found an Avengers Sky Carrier we planned to make into spawn - failed but it took forever to paste into world - it was huge

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

So I got back into Minecraft, breezed through Baby's First Space Race (well, until it broke), and picked up OMP-I to fiddle with. I found a really nice walled village (I quit playing before villages, so it was really cool) with a tower next to it that seems to lead directly to hell. I've got some kind of haybale golem next door that seems to poo poo skeletons and giant zombies and some poo poo brown lake that I think poisoned me when I fell in it, but I'm excited to try and renovate this tower/town as a castle base long-term project. There's a whole bunch of magic stuff mods I've never seen before, and I wandered into an area that made me start tripping balls, so I thought I'd best ask if there's any particular gotchas I should be aware of or if I'm good to just blindly forge ahead with landscaping and rebuilding this area to be nicer looking and not so gravel filled.

There is a spawner under the haybale so if you have cardboard boxes you can box up that spawner and re-use it for mob drops and XP

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

One of the only things I can think of that activates the smeltery but never smelts down is most types of dense stone. Stone tool heads, for instance, take 1 degree of heat more than a smeltery can reach, so it just sits in there at "almost done" status and eats up lava, never turning into liquid seared stone. I guess that's so you can't smelt seared stone at an accelerated rate, you have to do it 1 cobble at a time. Otherwise you could just make a bunch of stone hammer heads and smelt 8x as much cobblestone at once.
On the other hand, actual compressed cobblestone from Extra Utilities smelts just fine, I think up to double, so you can smelt like 81x as fast. gently caress the normal grout method at that point.

Metal Blocks never seem to melt either, you need to split blocks into ingots to make them melt.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Enzer posted:

There was a ton of internal changes to 1.8 including how rendering works and what rendering methods were valid to use. 1.8 uses a very strict rendering method which makes implementing some mods not possible, for example the carpenters block mod, according to its dev, is not possible without certain rendering options so he can't update to 1.8 (if this is actually true, I'm unsure, it might be possible but could be incredibly time consuming).

Well Pixelmonmod has upgraded to 1.8 and apart from some complaints from the model makers about the new format it has all been possible.
the one we are not looking forward to is the 1.9 upgrade as it will require knowledge of the new rendering system they are putting in (to improve rendering and make it less laggy)

Ho Hum, Back to Battle code....

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Krakatoah posted:

So along with Blightfall, I've been playing on an FTB Infinity server with some friends and the only mod I know my way around somewhat well by now would be Tinker's Construct...I've pretty much fallen in love with the armor set.

That said, I cracked open this black sphere thing made out of skystone and got some parts for 'Applied Energistics 2' which has made me curious about it, what's it about and how easy is it to get into?

Well that is the bone of contention, AE2 introduced meteors which is what you found, and you need to find 4 presses (logic, calculation, engineer and silicon) these are what are needed to make Processors. however once you have them you can make storage, it ends up being like Star Trek Replicators, you put stuff in and can pull it out whenever you want.

I always make a crafting terminal as you just shift click the ? on the NEI recipe and it will auto fill the slots from the ME system (Matter-Energy) instantly building whatever you wanted..

Imagine large chest that autosorts the items.

Its worth it but the meteor thing is the pain at the start

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

taiyoko posted:

Holy dicks whyyyyy does VoxelMap for 1.8 require Liteloader? I can't get the drat thing to run with my multiMC instance because with it enabled, it doesn't pop up the multimc crash report, but does have this at the end of the forge log: http://pastebin.com/V9Yn9ibM

If I disable liteloader, everything starts fine. JourneyMap hasn't updated for 1.8 apparently, and from what I can find it looks like Rei's isn't getting updated at all anymore. Oh wait, if I dig through the end of the Mapwriter thread, there's a sort of beta update for 1.8. I'll give that a shot.

Voxelmap is Rei's minimap, and I hate how it needs liteloader, it works fine on my system but other people it just crashes their client.
I am liking Journeymap on 1.7.10 but I can't help on 1.8 - sorry

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That's not a crotch rocket. That's just awesome. Please tell me that thing is not a reference to some crazy anime.

Edit: OK I see dual butt rockets, which is kind of funny.

Its "Attack on Titan" mod

They are like harpoon guns that they use to fly around the place killing giants in the anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcheS787jcI

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Truga posted:

So... I had a bigreactor filled with the gelid cryo thing.

Now I added a turbine. Is the gelid cryo thing doing anything besides looking cool now?

i found a most efficient setup online,

Reactor 7x7x3 9 Fuel rods 3x3 in middle, resonant ender cooling, (rods all on max out)
Fluid ports on top.

Turbine above 7x7x17

Internal height 15
29 Ludicrite Blocks thats 3 layers + 5 blocks at the bottom

Provides 26,000 RF/T at a fuel usage of 0.06 MB/t @ 1830 RPM (1870 MB/t steam setting)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Truga posted:

I'll know sometime during the weekend when I should have enough cyanite (and other crap) for my 2nd turbine. I think it should just work as is, but it depends on how the reactor will distribute steam to multiple turbines. If it puts even (or close to) amounts into all turbines. If it puts all steam into one until full, then the second, I'll have to do some steam routing via limiting flow into separate turbines. Either way, it should be fairly easy. to implement well enough

Once I get it going with multiple turbines I'll clean up the code a bit and post it.

You know you can make cyanite, Yellorium + sand in a crafting table - instant stacks of Cyanite...

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm actually interested to see what he'll do with void jars. Because it would sound like the best way to deal with extra vi in alchemy or whatever is to just pipe it straight into a void jar so it doesn't turn into flux and forget about it.

Warning if people didnt know, DO NOT ACCEPT TOME OF KNOWLEDGE TRANSFER,

If you do it will warp you to hell and back. (I found out the hard way)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

So... TC2 again? I thought the chunk-based vis caused lag?

I'm not sure if I'm going to miss hungry nodes, or be glad they're gone. Or maybe they'll still be around, haha!

The only thing that needed fixing is the research minigame

Why ruin a good mod

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

I never found Thaumcraft that bad to start up in. It's mostly just that people can't be bothered to read the book properly (which is fair enough, it's wordy as poo poo) and miss the part about mixing whatever it is to create the life essence.
Ars Magica on the other hand is a loving nightmare. The unlocking bit of the book doesn't seem to include everything you need to get started, and I'm still not sure exactly how to get power into my spell creation thingy.

On the server i am playing on (Crackpack from AT Launcher) I was just kicked out of the base i was sharing with someone else,

I logged on to find i had no perms in the claim and a sign placed down saying "I dont want thaum in my base, all your thaum stuff is outside to the right in a chest, this is why i don't base with anyone, bye"

So my ender quarry, other machines, ores and stuff and all the stuff i brought to the base is now his (including all the mob spawners and reactor stuff.)
and I have had to start again.

Why are so many people scared of Thaum?

I mean i have since heard that his base was covered in Flux and taint as he broke the Energised Nodes spilling flux everywhere.

As for ars, you have an obelisk next to the altar, then use the magicians staff (or whatever its called) to link the obelisk to the altar, then flip the switch when you need it for the recipe.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

One one hand, he kicked you out of your base (depending on the policies of the server and how the mods/admins feel you could get help.), on the other hand, he doesn't know what thaumcraft is and did all that crap without as much as telling you (and his base is now tainted) you are probably better without him.

Admittedly I was new to thaum and another player gave me his knowledge tome without explaining about the warp issue - so now i keep getting chased by eldritch warriors - luckily my Healing axe and Imbued sword is always to hand.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Stuff like that reminds me it's still a game for children. They couldn't even try to have one of those "constructive confrontations" about it. What's the admin's take on that?

My rule of thumb is I don't base with somebody I couldn't punch in the face, or get punched in the face by, in real life. Paradoxically, this has lead to much more shenanigans because I usually have a better social contract with them anyways.

Well I have put Thaum to the back burner at the moment and am trying to get re-setup, (I swapped my aspect jars for a working ME system to help ) the biggest loss is the loss of the safari nets seeing as all blaze spawners in the nether are gone.
Luckily all non base dimensions reset on the 10th of each month so next week i get to look all over again - want to try and get some ghast tears before then though
only other problem then is that on the 10th the end resets :(
Another dragon fight - but hey, i have flux imbued armor (Redstone arsenal) - with every enchantment i could get for 1000 levels, and an imbued sword with soul stealer V

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

BFSR does not do anything sustained playing to really augment it. It just mentions in the quest book that some of it is bullshit, and then gives you all the presses and some of the intermediate gunk. My issue was that there is not a universal simplification for the presses and processors. I had to assume people would play a pack afterwards that did not have everything.

Having played more, I have had less trouble with AE2, so long as the quartz generation rates are upped. Then it is easy to make a compass, and meteor hunting is okay if you consider chunk boundaries. Somebody in the thread--or last one--brought it up. When the compass goes wild, check if any other chunks go too. Then you know the meteor straddles boundaries. Otherwise you know digging down the center will find it.

You also need AE2Stuff for the dedicated growth accelerator machine.

I think it was me, I play on a server and was told that all meteors had been cleared and raided, followed my rules with the compass, first small meteor gave me calculation press
second about 100m away gave me logic, silicon, engineering press and about 200 skystone

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

That was just my personal experience, not meant as a dismissal. I do agree that there's no particular reason to gate charging quartz behind having charged quartz any more than there is to gate inscriptions behind farming meteor chests.

But... all you need is 1 charged quartz to make a charger then you are set for life

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Goncyn posted:

I have to disagree with this. It's not the channels that really put me off, it's the incredibly complex crafting tree. Look at any item that actually does something -- take the ME Storage Bus, example. ME Storage Bus < ME Interface < Formation Core + Annihilation Core < Fluix Dust (grown then ground) + Logic Processor < Printed Logic Circuit + Printed Silicon (both inscribed). That's more than five combination steps using four different crafting methods. I realize that it's meant to all be automated eventually, but you still have to do it manually for a while until you have a system built, and that means I have to constantly refer to NEI or the wiki to remember what I'm doing. Contrast that with a mod like Ender IO in which machines are mostly two steps: you craft a machine frame, then you craft the machine, both in the crafting table.

AE2's complexity makes my eyes glaze over. I'm tempted to remove all the stock recipes and go through and write my own, simpler recipes for every item in the mod, but then I think, that's silly, why go to so much effort for something you don't like because it's too much effort.

I noticed the upcoming version of Ender IO is adding an Inventory Panel that's very similar to the ME Crafting Panel. I poked at it in creative a bit, and it works, but it seems pretty clunky (I couldn't find any way to pick up a single item out of the attached inventories, for example). There's also Automagy, if you want to go thematic and wildly complex in a different way. :shrug:

At least a few modders are experimenting with alternatives.

The fluix doesnt have to be grown, the grown one is the PURE fluix, - you do have to make it but its quicker.
i have an automated inscriber using hoppers and item conduit. but most packs I have played recently has Steve's Machine Manager which allows you to fully automate creation of stuff meaning you can set up auto crafting.

@acnerain:
It starts off as an easy storage and becomes an amazing processing system, imagine you start with a room that is Jet black, with a green terminal on the far wall.
you open the terminal and desire a Couple of tessaracts, you click on them in the gui, and it asks how many do you want. you select 2 and press go. In the distance you hear lots of machine noises and suddenly you have your 2 Tessaracts ready for use.

That is the point of it, making the task of making items a non task allowing you to concentrate on harnessing the power of the elements, whilst trying to avoid the Eldritch Guardians and bouts of Thaumoriah...

On another note if a mod could look up on NEI/Recipes and assign a value to each block, so a recipe for something needs x points, I think EE had the right idea just not set properly.
Make manually an item,
put it in a scanner,
That is now known,
Put stuff into the main system it gets turned into energy.
you want an item no making sub items just if it has been scanned its now available
example - i make a ludicrite block, scan it now i put 2 million cobble into the system and can pull out ludicrite blocks if i have enough points. Damaged armor etc goes in - and gets turned into energy.
lost your imbued sword not a problem just pull another out based on the template you scanned
That is how to do Matter energy transfer :)

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 4, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

ProjectE, formerly Equivalent Exchange, is this exactly. Every item has a value -- cobblestone and dirt are 1. Iron is like 256. Diamonds are 8,192. After you've obtained an item and used the tablet to "learn" it, you can burn up any item into its raw cost and pull out whatever it was you needed. Dump in 128 full stacks of cobblestone and you could grab yourself a diamond, or vice versa. It's super convenient but basically overrides every other mod once you get it, which is why it's probably best having it as a true endgame thing.

I did mention EE in my post,

but i hate how you need one of x to get another one, sounds like projectE is going more as I would want it. (so like a star trek replicator as it can only make stuff you have scanned into the library

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

So FTB Infinity doesn't seem to have modular powersuits. What's does it have that's the best equivalent?

Angel rings and Flux imbued armor with loads of enchantments :)

Or resonant armor with thaumcraft

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

Just ignore caves and branch mine with a hammer. Dig straight down from a cleared area, then dig to your hearts content. You don't have to worry about taint unless you accidentally get too close to a cave, and you can seal off tainted tunnels with a 3-thick wall. I gave up on caves early on in blightfall, there's just not enough in them to make all the taint damage and the bloody taintacles worth it.

one thing i discovered recently is that WATER clears taintacles so you could just drop a bucket to clear the area then pick back up move on and drop again

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

Thanks. But it still has the problem of requiring energy bursts per teleport.

I guess my problem is more to do with the fact mod makers seem to think there has to be a huge cost/penalty for fast and easy transport whereas I feel like the lack of an easy way to go to or from locations really discourages exploration.

I wish someone just made something like openblocks elevators with the three dyable nodes like ender tanks so you could place them anywhere, tune them to each other with dye, teleport at will and just forget about it.

I'll get right on it :)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

TheresaJayne posted:

I'll get right on it :)

seriously i already had thoughts about it,
It will be a frame that you have special colored buttons on to select the different destinations (still trying to determine how to fully do this without needing a complex gui - colored wool blocks like enderchests will not work as what if someone else chooses the same code ? I have an idea but it will be fleshed out as I go along.

First each Teleport Frame Block will have to be made (and it will not be cheap)

Heisenberg Compensator = An Emerald surrounded by ghast tears in the corner and diamonds in the centers

Zero point module = Heisenberg compensators round a Nether Star

Pattern Buffer = Diamonds round a ZPM (this has the 3 wool blocks for the address)

Teleport Block ZPM middle Heisenberg Compensator Bottom middle Surrounded by wool

Teleport Blocks can be dyed by dyes to allow coding.

so make a frame with 16 blocks and buttons on each block. to activate dial the 3 color code for your destination

or you can just make a 3 wide 4 high block and use that as the smallest (less available codes 9 codes rather than 16)
when you dial the center activates loading the world/chunk the destination is in, and then if i can work out how to do it - shows you the view out of the portal at the other side
(that will be the technically hard bit - i mean portal had to custom write that part of their system

Thoughts?

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 11, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Dunno-Lars posted:

Seems way to expensive if you need 16 nether stars, 64 emeralds and 64 diamonds to make a teleporter...

Ok how about the frame blocks are HC's surrounded by wool so that would be 16 emeralds, 64 diamonds, 64 ghast tears, 64 wool

that is if you make the 16 color
9 emeralds, 36 diamonds, 36 ghast tears if you make the smallest one Plus the Pattern Buffer (controller)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

Please also make sure that you need to place it and let it attune for one real time year, if you log off, move near it, look at it, look away from it or exist it explodes, destroys your world, corrupts your entire HDD after loading it with cp and calling the cops.

I mean, gotta balance being able to *gasp* traverse distances.

I hate gregtech but with only 16 ^3 combinations and some people using more than one it needs to be expensive

Maybe the first thought was too expensive
the idea is that you have multiple blocks that are used, based on Star Trek Tech you should have a power source, pattern buffer, heisenberg compensator.

The recipies can be tweaked.

The idea is a frame with colors that you attach buttons to, activate in the correct order (button on the controller to reset)

so, activation would be Red Red Green, Portal opens, walk through Portal disables or push reset to turn off
or times out after a minute (to stop people using them to load chunks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Portals are chunkloaders because that's how portals know where the destination is. Unless your design includes inputting what XYZ coordinates the receiving end is at, you're going to have to make them chunkload.

The idea would be to store the portal locations and addresses (colors) in World. NBT data - the inter dimension stuff i will have to work on as well.
but then when activated, it will get the worldNBT data to get the destination and load the chunk then