Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I just want to give a shoutout to the guy who made Baby's First Space Race. I'm visiting my aunt and her 9 year old and his friend are really big into Minecraft. I managed to get them set up with the Technic launcher because all they've played so far is some repulsive collection of pay to win public servers with vanilla. After they got their bearings, the absolutely ridiculous ore gen rates has them running around like coked up puppies screaming their heads off. It's so bad that they are actually flipping out and doing cartwheels on the floor in excitement every time they discover something new.

After they settled down I spent a few hours teaching them Tinkers Construct and they're really taking to it. Great modpack :3: Gave up trying to make them follow the quest book though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Danger Mahoney posted:

Anyone else having issues running OMP after last night's update?

It was kind of a major update, if you're playing single player you may be hosed.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sistergodiva posted:

Yeah, my singleplayer game crashes on load.

You'll probably have to revert to the old version to play your singleplayer save. Ask StealthArcher about it if you don't have an old version backed up.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I just discovered the drawers for sorting items and holy poo poo have my eyes been opened. The addition of a controller just takes away everything tedious about sorting your items, minus the initial round of sorting everything into the drawers in the first place.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Azanor's been talking up Thaumcraft 5 features and it looks quite interesting.

- Vis will no longer reside in nodes, instead it will reside in chunks as aura.
- Aura has a potential and current value, chunks gain bonuses or penalties based on the biome. Jungles will have high potential but have high terra and aqua, deserts will have low potential but have high ignis.
- Vis will move from chunk to chunk based on the differential of its neighbors but only if the difference is large, it's possible to spend and use up all the vis in an entire world.
- Aura nodes don't contain vis anymore and simply refill a chunk as a generator.
- Flux is now both an aspect and a type of vi that drains into the aura. If there's too much flux in the aura it can start to generate taint, flux will also spread across other chunks.
- There will be many systems to try and control flux and taint.
- Wands are now charged passively from the aura instead of directly from a node.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 28, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm actually interested to see what he'll do with void jars. Because it would sound like the best way to deal with extra vi in alchemy or whatever is to just pipe it straight into a void jar so it doesn't turn into flux and forget about it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

gently caress no.

Seriously, gently caress that.
I absolutely hated the old method of Thaumcraft, where everything Aura/Vis related was insanely nebulous, and nodes all recharged from each other or not at all, and you could "run out" of vis, and everything was based on this impossible algorithm over the entire world. Sky Den suffered so much from this system that some people actually DID run out of Vis, and there's nothing you can do about it. The new node system in TC4 was such a huge improvement. Nodes were worth hunting down, they were fun to find and to mess with. Now we're tainting them with the old chunk/world bullshit systems? I thought we were past this!

Yeah it doesn't really sound that great on paper. He's said that only loaded chunks will be considered to help on performance but all these posts were in January/February so changes may have been made. I'm not actually sure what his plan is for nodes with this system. Sure you can stack a bunch of them around your base for passive generation of vis but if that's their only use then their whole existence is superfluous.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Azanor posted:

Just a heads up on a few changes I'm making. I'd like some feedback on them:

1) Alchemical furnaces are being renamed to Essentia Smelters since the original name was a bit confusing. Minor, but I thought I'd mention it. It still does exactly what it did before... but see below.

2) The advanced alchemical furnace is going away. Instead I'm replacing this with a tiered system for the new smelters. Currently in TC5 there are three tiers of smelters. They have different speeds and efficiency ratings.

3) Smelting is once again messy like it was in older versions. The basic smelter is very inefficient and some of the smelted essentia is wasted and converted into flux instead. Currently the basic efficiency for the normal furnace is about 80%, though that may change by release. I'm still debating if the flux should stay in the system as essentia or simply get vented out into the aura. I'm thinking the former as it will force the player to choose what they do with all the flux. There will be something like the smokestacks from TC2 to vent unwanted flux.

4) Alembic have been, to put it simply, nerfed. They didn't really need a nerf, but as things work now it didn't really fit with the new system. Each alembic now only holds up to 8 essentia and they cannot be stacked. Only 1 alembic to a smelter. Alembics may eventually also have upgraded versions, but for now there is still just 1 type.

5) The idea behind smelters is to have them as a multiblock. With additional research you will be able to attach additional blocks next to a basic smelter which will increase their efficiency, their speed, or allow additional alembics to be connected. For example the alembic addon block (Auxiliary Slurry Pump) will actually make smelting things down much faster since it literally acts as an additional slurry-to-essentia processor. Previously the alembic stack didn't actually speed things up - it just made it slightly more convenient.

6) Any block containing essentia will spill that essentia into the aura as flux when broken. Obviously this does not include jars or similar things as they are designed to be moved. Most tubes, machines and such however are not.

7) Void jars still exist, but they are very dangerous to use now. The new system really drives the point home that any essentia that escapes the system will become flux and mess up your aura. As a result any essentia that gets voided will be dumped into the aura instead. Alas, the mechanics of minecraft still gives a few loopholes around this, but not much I can do about that. At least the loopholes are resource intensive.

This is all terrible. :allears:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Thyrork posted:

The guy is asking for feedback.

Lets rephrase that for the dense of thinking: The "Awful Modder That You Hate So Much" is prepared to wade knee deep in the shithole that is minecraft's forums for feedback.

This is not someone howling "MY VISION!" and forcing it down your throat. If he's also decent enough to put in good configs without the sass, It'll be a point in his favour in my books.

If you care, you'll say something about it.

But, jesus christ Azanor, what are you doing? Dont loving nerf void jars like that. :cripes: The amount of loving arbor that is generated with NO USE AT ALL is obscene.

E: On the plus side, i cant wait to see OMPI designate a certain part of the world to waste disposal and turn some small island into a toxic hellscape. :getin:

I posted some feedback. I'm going to get banned probably.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Link, maybe ill nut up and dive into the fetid cesspit alongside you.

Feel free.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Thyrork posted:

:cripes: so basically, its the same tired line the guy who did Foresty gave out in regards to the introduction of multi-block apiaries? Greeeeat.

Well he's not completely wrong. The basic idea is basically applying the workshop method to the smelter/alembic in that it grows gradually with your capabilities. You start out with a dinky little poo poo machine that spews pollution everywhere but over time as you amass resources you expand and refine it into something useful. Depending on the full size of it I can see it simply moving from big 32 capacity alembics to them drizzling off into a jar and your golems taking it from there and sorting it. But it is a bunch of extra steps for very little gain except flavor and a bigger footprint.

That all hinges on whether or not he'll allow lots of connections to the basic smelter block or if it only interacts with add-ons that are directly adjacent to it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Thyrork posted:

I threw my hat in, Demiurge4. Lets see how quickly we get banned. :allears:

Now that i think about it, its kind of like making the advanced alchemical furnace something you progress towards from the start. I... dont hate that, I just dont want the existing starting line to be shoved back for it.

Yeah I don't really know how draconian that forum is but it's generally a sloppy blowjob in all the mod threads.

I think the multiblock furnace idea has great potential but I'm not sure he's not just gonna make it a 3x3 block you activate with a wand, like the infernal furnace. That or it just interfaces with adjacent blocks.

That said I think a modular multiblock system would be wonderful and I cooked up something quick and dirty to demonstrate how a setup could look.

Each of the size 8 alembics simply deposit into a jar as they did in TC3 where it gets sorted by golems. Excess flux is filtered up through a chimney or whatever thing he invents for it and turns all or most of it into harmless vis that gets absorbed by the aura. Smelting time is improved with various booster modules attached directly to the furnace and for added efficiency of all of it you can attach a control module and boost it further with a brain in a jar.

That would be a pretty decent continuation and upgrade path for your workshop where you're encourage to improve the efficiency of your setup as you move up the tech tree and start generating more and more flux. I also adore the idea of essentia specific flux that generates various effects in the aura based on its concentration.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Brainstorming some essentia specific flux because that idea is cool as hell.

- Split flux into two types. Essentia specific and tainted flux.
- Any flux generated is always essentia specific.
- When flux is vented into the aura through a variety of magical processes it has a chance to convert into tainted flux.
- The chance that flux turns into tainted flux can be reduced with filters and more advanced machines.
- Flux will break down over time and leave the aura, it does this by triggering a magical effect in the chunk and can be biome specific.
- Ardor flux will cause new saplings to sprout randomly in forest and jungle biomes, cactus in deserts. Aqua flux will cause it to rain, etc.
- Some flux effects can combine, Ardor will react with Praecanteo and spawn greatwood or silverwood saplings (silverwood only in magical forest biomes).
- Make all of these reactions secret and it'll be something fun for the player to do, to see what combinations he can come up with. Higher concentrations of flux have higher chances of firing.
- A high concentration of Praecanteo can completely change biomes and react wildly, creating new mob varieties and cool effects. Greatwood blocks will break and turn into wild golems, toads will rain from the sky and gold flowers will sprout from the earth.
- Tainted flux will not create it's own effects but merely have a chance of being consumed alongside other flux and create bad effects. Benign examples can be two headed cows, mutated mushrooms and thunder storms. More severe effects are tainted mobs and traditional taint effects.

Now that I've thought about it the aura system could be really fantastic if done with Fun things in mind, rather than adding tedious bullshit. Bring it on.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Continuing TC chat:

quote:

So I made some decisions regarding the smeltery. I will not be adding the flux that is created to the internal store itself - it will just be vented into the aura directly. I tried it the other way and it was just too much of a pita. There was also too many ways getting around it making flux management trivial. This way it WILL go into the aura and you will have to deal with it with any means at your disposal.

Alembics will remain stackable and their internal buffer will remain 32 (for now). I might change that number before release though depending on how testing works out.

Alembics and smelteries got a bit of a new look as well, though I am still working on it.

Basically nothing's changed about the furnaces then, except maybe some ways to add upgrade attachments. Still, I like the new look.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'd really love to play Blightfall in multiplayer, but it needs a lot of updating and stability fixes first. It's a fun mod though and I played a bunch of it in singleplayer on the first release. Thaumcraft is just such a good mod, despite all its faults.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Did something in baby's first space race break? My cousin is getting a forge error

I made him run the reinstall command on the technic launcher and also installed it myself and I get the same error.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Reason posted:

I just got back from the moon with galacticraft and I can't jump anymore. Help?

Muscle atrohpy. Get on the treadmill.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So a while back I set up a Baby's First Space Race world for my cousin and one of his friends (they are 10 and 12) and they're absolutely loving it. Some of the more technical mods are harder for them to use though but they've managed to use the smelter I set up for them and learned how to create steel and even made a builders wand a few days ago but otherwise they've just been stockpiling resources with no real goal in mind. I'm planning to set up a passive big reactor and a machine network for automated storage and sorting of various items they can pull from but I'd also like to guide them along the path of space exploration, since that's kind of the point of the mod.

Any tips for what I could build that would be useful for them? I was thinking I'd at least set up some sort of automated fuel refinery process that can work mostly independently as well as a farm with biofuel generation for jetpacks (they still haven't managed jetpacks). I've never really gotten into tech mods much since I've most enjoyed Thaumcraft themed modpacks so I'm a bit at a loss where to go with it.

Edit: Oh and because their world is hosted locally and they play through a LAN connection when one of them visits the other, (they live quite far apart) I'd like to set up a VPN for them to use so they can still play it together online. Would I be able to do that with something simple like LAN Bridger?

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 3, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I tried the OMP TFC package and it was scary and alien. I think I'll stick to better things.

Edit: Thatch lets zombies walk through it but it also blocks line of sight, so if you hide in your thatch hut before the zombies spawn they won't find you.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

I just entered the username of "Poop" and it let me see all the stuff to buy

looks like they do the tf2 thing where you can get item crates and then you have to pay the server for a key to unlock them

and hey 2 stacks of diamonds for 6 bux

what a scummy server, your poor kid probably loves it too

My cousin does. I've tried weaning him off it by introducing him to the wonderful world of the Technic launcher. So far it's working!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Progress so far, I have gone slightly mad. Going to be crushed if this ends up being gibberish! :unsmigghh:

Dont judge, its a lazy sunday.

Hell yeah getting mad Covert Action flashbacks from that. If you can't figure it out I'll give it a shot myself.

And yeah, that's tainted. You should have an easy time from here tbh.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Threep posted:

SHOULD BE NOTED THAT REVERSING THE ENCHANTMENT IS A BIT TRICKIER AS IT IS NOT TRULY THE LAND THAT IS TAINTED BUT THE AURA OF THE LAND ITSELF

ONE MUST APPLY THE NECESS

It was obvious which letters were "the" and then "enchantment" was the only word that fit in there which made the rest easy

Beat me to it, good job.

Basic thaumcraft fluff I guess. I wonder if Azanor had a dictionary for that somewhere, those symbols are all from the old runic research system.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I only just realized that you're looking out at the three other pods from your own pod. That guy on the left is gonna die next :( Wonder if they're changing up the glass dome starts or dropping you near silver wood groves in the new version.

I'm so incredibly pumped to start running about to fix the worlds aura. I'm probably gonna spend way too long clearing huge tracts of grassland to repopulate and reforest.

Incidentally, anyone up for starting a multiplayer game with the new version? Would be cool to play with a few people in different teams and do some trading.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The current version has tons of hidden stuff you can find if you're clever and creative enough. Personally I'm hoping for a new map to go with everything and ill be checking the he'll out of that cave.

I'll probably also beeline for the silvered Grove and set up my home there though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Jesus you guys weren't kidding. How big is that file exactly?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I cleaned up the swamp island and I'm trying to get a smelter up and some basic farming. Haven't found gently caress all iron though. Started cleaning up one of the bigger islands too but there's a cave on it so keeping it clean is gonna be a hassle until I can tech up to better taint clearing.

Really. Just getting past flint is a pain in the dick but it should be good when I finally.do get past it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

FINALLY found some aluminum. Picks here I come!

And thanks to whoever mentioned the juicer and berries. Really helped my food intake. Wondering what I should do next. Might prep an expedition to the volcano and find a level 4 mining ore.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I wish I was more organize when teching up. I have a mess of chests everywhere with random bits and bobs in them. Terraformed most of the second swamp delta island though so now I have a ton of real estate. I'll probably use that for farming and botania stuff and there's a zombie spawner underneath I'm gonna try and use to get some brains. My 5 silverwood saplings will be used to turn the last island into a magical forest biome so I can try to farm mana beans.

Is there a good way to make plants that are biome specific grow? All the oak trees I plant are regular no vines stuff. I want to make the swamp look like a swamp.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there some trick to easily getting casting metals in Blightfall? I got a smeltery up, but I can only take whole blocks out of it because I do not have an ingot mold.

Swamp delta. Dig straight down until you see a lava lake on 5he minimal and dig towards it. It has some aluminum you can use to make brass. I had enough for 8 casts.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Quartz is all over the place in the desert, not hard to find. Certus crystals on the other hand...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Where can I find a potato? I need it for my lightning wand so I can start murdering dudes.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Found a node that gives me 2 centi-vis of everything and that's been a god send. Going to collect that messis node next and use it to power my enchanter.

I'm still at iron tools so I think it's time to go mining after I finish setting up a golem farm and some alchemy stations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm nearing the end of the thaumcraft tech tree and finally trying to get an ME network up but I've never done that mod before so it's slow going. I only have four diamonds and is there a way to get a crusher for silicon besides hoping for it in a machine bag? Rubber is such a bitch to get but I haven't found a tree anywhere so in stuck farming bitumen.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Explain to me what a mob drop is and how do I build one?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'll have to post pictures too but my poo poo is ugly as sin with way too much chest sprawl. I moved out of my dome really early though and I just live on the swamp islands that I've turned into a magical forest biome with a LOT of silverwoods. My gate to energistics now is a pulveizer for quarts.

I also unlocked the dawn machine which looks like a lot of work. I think I'll build one of those taint trees for easy taint aspect fruits.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I dunno. The paranormalist gets up to some shady poo poo. Where is he getting his visum aspect? Does he just Jerk it in a bottle?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

You have to make a brand new focus.

I carry two excavation focuses -- one with potency/enlarge for mass digging and one with fortune.

I also jarred and brought home a 9 CV terra node to recharge my vis stone :sweatdrop:

drat, best I got is 6. Whats a good way to farm xp for the enchantments?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

Lots of cool poo poo.

That's a nice setup. I think I'll post mine after I finish redecorating and sorting out my loving inventory. I have an abundance of silverwood because every tree I've put up and knocked down has nettet 1-2 saplings. I think I have 12 of the things spread around right now and I'm going to start farming them soon. I leave the pure nodes up and make them into a kind of silverwood bushes because I like the biome and (I think) they help with thaumcraft stuff. I'm going to spend all that silverwood building a redwood sized silverwood because I am a mad man. I want that greatwood home setup I found, but I want it silver.

I really don't bother putting my thaumcraft setup elsewhere because it's honestly pretty safe, but I live on an island so I may change my tune when I delve into the void stuff and build myself an actual tainted island with the cool tainted wood and tainted stone I can make that doesn't have growths on it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've never had boots of the traveller before but I made some yesterday and HOLY poo poo I'm never using anything else on my feet ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Humans Among Us posted:

It's just the node-trees that transform the land. Nodeless silverwood trees do nothing.

Also putting a tree-node into a jar and moving it elsewhere removes the biome effect. It has to be in the silverwood block.