Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Inscribers take speed cards now and a 6 CGA system (which completes crystal growth in seconds) isn't hard to set up at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
If anyone's interested, Thaumcraft released for MC1.8 yesterday. There are a few features not present (mostly the golems, they're apparently getting a full rework again). Don't expect other major mods, though. Hell, looking around I can't hardly find any. If you really like TC, it might be worth it to play, though.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

CrazyTolradi posted:

Pretty sure most are just waiting for 1.9 because of the changes due to the modding API that are coming in. I'm guessing the modding API won't exactly be Forge level API stuff, but more like how resource packs are working?

No. The "modding API" isn't happening aaaaaanytime soon. Most didn't want to update to 1.8 due to the massive changes in rendering and data handling for blocks (blockstates over NBT and so on). Ultimately it's supposedly more flexible but it's a massive pain in the dick to update to for any sort of major mod.

1.9 improved it somewhat and reduced the amount of work they'll actually have to do all at once, once they finalize and release it, that is. I just hope the Forge team actually holds on to their drat pants for five minutes this time instead of jumping on 1.9.0 and instead waiting for some of the bugfixes to come out and THEN jumping. (This is also part of the problem that's been going on - Forge initially jumped on 1.7.2, which proved to be a bad idea and ultimately everybody had to update twice to get to 1.7.10, and now Forge is on 1.8.0 which has serious issues - instead of 1.8.8 which fixed most of it.)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

fondue posted:

Thaumcraft just released for 1.8, watch all of the other modders pile on so they're not outdone.

I know TC5 just released. Read my post just before that, where I also added that most major mods still aren't likely to update. For the most part, 1.8 is getting skipped. If a major mod hasn't released an version for 1.8 yet or have said that they have one in the works (like Blood Magic) then they're not very likely to update. Thaumcraft release isn't going to change that.

quote:

Oh, and the 1.8 Thaumcraft release changes a whole bunch of poo poo and golems haven't been ported over yet ...

Did you just completely skip my post saying these things and starting this particular conversation?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Chances of permadraining the aura in TC5 are or permenanentlh ruining it are a lot smaller. Nodes in TC3 were fairly well spread out and good ones were rare. From my own poking around, nodes in TC5 are pretty drat common, although only of a single aspect. They also appear to be much, much more active about replenishing the aura. There are also ways of pushing the aura itself around via new totemsz

Also, the easiest way to destroy the aura in TC3 was using the Arcane Bore. In TC5, you can supply it with essentia and it won't even touch the aura unless it runs out.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Demiurge4 posted:

Can someone do a good writeup of whats changed in TC5? I watched some guy go over the wand tab and the magnet and totems look kinda cool but I'd like to see the rest too. It looks like we're going back to jury rigging with thaumcraft rather than total node mastery.

If nobody's done so by then, I can do this tonight when I get home from work.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

TheresaJayne posted:

pixelmon has been 1.8 for ages

Yeah, but nobody plays that. :p

Also, sorry I didn't do that write up for the TC changes but I'm in the ER instead.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Changes between Thaumcraft 4 and Thaumcraft 5:

First, Thaumcraft 5 is more of a mashup of mechanics from multiple prior versions.

Vis/Aura:
  • Aura nodes no longer charge wands directly, but refill the local vis. They're also fairly common, and contain only a single aspect each. This isn't limited to primals only.
  • Wands recharge directly from the Aura.
  • The Aura is made of seven parts - each of the six primal aspects, plus flux.
  • If Flux gets too high, an area of Taint will be born (indicated by weird purple cloud-things overhead). Most of these burn up on their own, but it is possible for it to become self-sustaining and grow.
  • Nodes can be moved via the Node Attraction research (not bottling). Nodes that get close to each other will merge.
  • The Aura itself can be directly manipulated using Totems, allowing you to move aura around.
  • The best way to see the Aura in an area is a new device called the Thaumic Dioptra, which displays aura in a radius via a 3d wireframe map. Which aspect of the aura it shows is based on which shard you insert - tainted shards now exist as well and do show the flux levels via the Doptra.
  • The Thaumometer, when held, will also show a meter on the screen displaying local aura levels.
  • Wands have had their vis totals drastically reworked - a basic wooden stick+iron caps wand holds 100 vis, while Silverwood wands hold 500. Fractional vis totals are gone entirely. Costs have similarly been reworked.
  • CV is gone as well. Things that used CV before have either gone back to using essentia, or, can pull from the aura itself.

Research:
  • You start knowing all aspects, both primal and compound. You no longer have to scan for research points or to learn aspects.
  • There are fewer aspects than there were previously - there are only 35 aspects now, while TC4 had 50+. The combinations for them have been reworked, as well.
  • The minigame itself is unchanged from TC4 - it's the same hex-grid connect-the-aspects as before. However, each research has a supply of research points. If you run out, you have to start over.
  • You will be required to combine aspects to get the aspects you need to complete some researches.
  • The Thaumometer is now only used for unlocking "hidden" researches. Things that can be scanned will be marked in-world by floating little question marks. You no longer have to hold the button to research, it's just a click now. You won't need to scan very many things.
  • Minor researches, or Easy-mode researches, are purchased via experience levels now, instead of aspects.
  • A lot of the researches got moved or combined. All the elemental wands are a single research now, for example.
  • Warp is unchanged.
  • Each tab on the Thaumonomicon shows how much of the research in that tab you've completed as a percentage.

Everything Else
  • The Thaumonomicon has been reworked. You can scroll in and out for zooming, and there's a search function.
  • The Infusion Altar works the same way as it did previously, however, now there are material upgrades to the multiblock available. One upgrade set increases speed and reduces essentia cost, but increases instability a little. The other increases speed and reduces instability, but increases essentia cost (and, if unbalanced, massively increases instability.)
  • In addition to the material upgrades, there are literal upgrade stones that are placed under the pillars of the altar. Only two exist so far - one increases speed but also cost, while the other does the opposite. Interestingly, they don't have to be balanced.
  • Nitor can be dyed now.
  • Brass has been added, made via alchemy. It's used in a number of recipes throughout the book.
  • Some things have been reworked to draw from the aura instead of CV or essentia.
  • The Alchemical Furnaces is renamed to the Essentia Smeltery. Creating essentia is the same as before, however, the basic essentia smeltery will lose 20% of all essentia created as flux to the aura. Better smelteries exist, but even the best still loses 5% - and that requires the Primal Pearl.
  • There are "upgrades" to the smeltery - the slurry pump attaches to the side and lets you place more alembics on top of it. The Auxillary Venting Port reduces the amount of flux produced.
  • Tubes, alembics, etc - all work the same as before. I hope you like essentia buffers. Also void jars do vent excess essentia as flux.
  • Golems are currently not in - they're undergoing a rework. Clockwork-based stuff does appear on the Golemancy page, however, including an Auto-Crossbow (a standalone crossbow turret) and an Autocaster (block that uses the focus placed inside, draws from the aura for power, can be configured as to what/who it targets).
  • Elemental Shards: Now grow on the sides of stone blocks, instead of being a block themselves. Supposedly, they'll replenish the vis in the area when it's low. It is apparently possible to farm them now - there's a research for planting them.

I think that's basically everything. Fair warning, areas of taint are way, way more common now. The few test worlds I've played around with, they pop up pretty often. However, they may or may not be self-sustaining - they're supposed to burn themselves out pretty quick, and only the largest and nastiest ones are supposed to be self-sustaining and keep growing.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

McFrugal posted:

*Minor researches, or Easy-mode researches, are purchased via experience levels now, instead of aspects.
YES PERFECT

Having to deal with more flux is fine assuming the flux will either burn itself out or can be cleaned with some effort. This is especially important because of how void jars work now.
What I'm most interested in is how you deal with the finite amount of vis in the world. In TC3 you used crystal clusters to passively regenerate it. Will those make a comeback in TC5?

Ethereal blooms are still around, and will still be your biggest weapon against taint. I forgot to mention - taint now destroys blocks and water, leaving dust behind.

The problem in TC3 that there weren't enough nodes to deal with actual heavy-duty usage. That is distinctly not the case now - nods are all over the goddamn place. Like, one per chunk at least. Further, vis crystals, natural or planted, will regenerate aura as well.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Yeah, double-post, I don't care.

One last thing I forgot changed: Runic Shielding was reworked to use vanilla's Absorption system, instead of the old way it worked, due to how inconsistently helpful it was (and particularly for some people it was routinely about as helpful as a sheet of paper before).

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Wolpertinger posted:

buildcraft/railcraft/mekanism from what i've seen in regrowth is janky but i have to admit there's a certain weird appeal to their big loud clanky multi-block factory machine aesthetic. TE is real nice by compacting everything down into easy to use single block machines and efficient easy generators, but it almost is a sort of simplicity/power creep - giant factories are cool too, if you keep making things easier and faster to automate then automating becomes less fun because there's no effort on your part. It entirely depends on the modpack though, others have plenty of other things for you to do and you don't want to waste time building machines all day, but sometimes building the giant factory is the point.

This doesn't mean that you should need the stupid redstone engine AND the wooden pipes for every input though, and other various idiosyncracies though, just that TE shouldn't be the end all be all.

My itch for big loud clanky multi blocks is scratched quite well by Immersive Engineering.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there a way to delete flux in the aura? Does aura flux go down when a patch of taint appears on the ground?

Exactly. When an area of taint is spawned, that burns up some of the flux, and will burn more as it spreads, taints critters, etc. The danger is if it gets too big, because it can also cause flux-causing structures to exist which will then send more flux into the aura, allowing the taint to grow further, and so on.

Pure nodes still scrub taint and flux, as always, and ethereal blooms will help with the cleanup as well.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Demiurge4 posted:

How are nodes used correctly in TC5 now? You used to be able to bottle up nodes and use them willy nilly but now you need a dirty magnet to pull it and it always pulls the closest one so how do you get a good concentration of nodes together to really build up a ton of vis in your base area?

Yeah, you can move nodes... But mostly you'll just be moving aura itself. It'd be easily possible to concentrate the aura of, say, a 40-chunk radius in your base area, using totems. Okay, not easy - it'd require quite a few totems - but absolutely doable.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
For the record, Vazkii did set the passive wither config to default to on and initially about two days (In-game), later three. This didn't solve the problem.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

CrazyTolradi posted:

One of the people who work on Botania with Vazkii was saying on the FTB subreddit that one of the main reasons for the change was that people were basically building Hydroangea farms and not bothering to proceed beyond that. They also complained a bit that people don't use much behind the passives and Endoflames.

So yeah, it's not wanting to be a "server killer" as well as a good chunk of "muh vision".

Because "people ignoring a huge chunk of the mod because they obsess over this one introductory flower" and wanting that to change is totally "muh vision".

If I wrote a mod, one with plenty of nifty mechanics and interesting bits and pieces, and then discovered that half the people were literally ignoring huge chunks of it to spam just that one introductory bit that was never meant to be more than a brief help, I'd change things, too - particularly when also being bombarded with complaints that "your mod causes lag" and "it takes forever to generate enough mana to do anything!" Personally, I don't think Vazkii went far enough - were it me, I'd rip out the passives entirely.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

TheresaJayne posted:

one of the problems with this flower is that most packs at the moment not only have botania but also hunger overhaul so food is scarce and usually needed.

Until you get to the point where you're autocrafting bacon cheeseburgers out of soy for fun and can afford to hurl stacks of them at the gourmaryllis.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

I don't recommend that unless you actually know Botania. It isn't an HQM pack so there's very little guidance on how to progress and a lot of resources are gated off behind access to the Nether.

Or rather, I don't recommend the skyblock version. However, Curse Voice makes it trivially easy to disable specific things - and I recommend just disabling the Garden of Glass file and using it to play in a normal world.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Wolpertinger posted:

I've never actually used it because I saw that it runs off essentia and requires you to set up refueling towers or something, which sounds like way too much effort. It may not be as bad as I imagined though, I just have grown to really, really hate making essentia for literally anything because of pipe/jar shenanigans (when I don't have Thaumic Energistics) to the point where thaumcraft is becoming somewhat unenjoyable when combined with the hassle of getting centivis, since running around in circles vacuuming up nodes every time you want to craft anything is terrible. I haven't touched TC5 yet but I'm really hoping the aura system is better than the current system.

The refueling tower (Thaumostatic Spire) you're thinking of is from Automagy and is totally optional. The Thaumostatic Harness just needs the occasional jar of potentia. If you're having that much trouble with essentia, you're doing it wrong. Stop making pipes. For a regular essentia setup, you don't need even one. Make an alchemy golem instead. (Alternate methods - wireless essentia coils from technomancy, and the Thaumic Energistics you already mentioned.) Hell, you could still make the fuel with pipes easily - coal/charcoal only have potentia and ignis, and you can label alembics. Just label one with potentia and have an array of jars there, and label the other with ignis with a void jar. Pipe each one out of opposite sides. Problem solved.

You probably won't want to touch TC5 yet - the essentia system is still present and the pipe system is basically unchanged, but there's no alchemy golems yet. The Aura system seems to work well but I haven't had a chance to test it in proper play yet because 1.8 is being laggy as hell for me.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Acne Rain posted:

I thought you needed BEES before you could breed TREES

Normally, yes, but it's also possible to get around the bee requirement by using butterflies.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Blind Duke posted:

I think you can enchant strongboxes and satchels for more storage size, but enchanting is not a reliable method of storage

It is in this case. Fairly reliable, at least. Strongboxes are only eligible for the Holding enchantment, which increases storage by one row per level of enchant. You can very easily make a hardened strongbox (3 rows) and about 5 levels will usually get at least Holding II, which gives you a 5-row chest that can be easily picked up and placed at your discretion. It keeps enchantments if you later upgrade it to Reinforced and Resonant (Reinforced is pretty easy to do, too, giving you 6 rows).

A Holding IV Resonant Strongbox is 8 rows. Again, extremely easy to move, orient, and if you so choose, even lock. Holding IV doesn't require thirty levels, either.

(Everything here is true for Satchels as well, but with one less row.)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm playing Regrowth right now and I've got both diamond and redstone without making a single piece of steel. What recipes are you seeing?

He's mining Nether Ore, instead of making seeds.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Mr. Peepers posted:

Yeah, I put making the third transmutation stone on hold to work on some of the other questlines, including the one to make a blast furnace. And to sort out storage before I became even more overwhelemed by a whole new tier of materials to manage.

Yeah, as far as I've seen with Regrowth, you basically never have to mine except for picking up your initial dirt and for the quest that specifically requests some Nether Ores. Otherwise, if you're running into quests that require something you don't have, you probably just need to work on a different questline.

There's a half-dozen different storage mods (too many, IMO, some of them are just unnecessary). If you've got it, I recommend just going ahead and doing a storage drawer room. A room like this (a room I built in another pack, but you can set up something similar very easily) would work pretty well, and you can lock the drawers. Remember that the drawers themselves just need wood, except for compacting drawers. My preference is for 1x2 drawers.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Demiurge4 posted:

So in regrowth is there a way to easily transform cracked sand to dirt, or do I have to replace it all manually? I want go prettify my area with sprawling farms and gardens but it's slow as hell building anything of the sort because I have to manually mine dirt from underground and replace sand by hand.

Get a Rod of the Lands and a Rod of the Shifting Crust. The latter is Botania equivalent to Thaumcraft's Equal Trade focus, but better in that it can pull supplies from rods in your inventory. Set it to dirt, have the Rod of the Lands in your inventory, and go nuts.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Fortis posted:

Does anyone know what this HUD element is?

I threw a bunch of mods into my pack in October and this thing showed up. I have no idea what it represents or does aside from glitching out frequently and showing various levels of... green.

It's from Technomancy. Manually update to the most recent version and there'll be a config to deal with it.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
She also documented the fact that if you right click a petal on grass, burying it, and then bone meal that, it gives you a tall version of that color flower, for a profit of three petals each time, making it a lot simpler early on to get the exact colors you need.

With the removal of Mana petals (thank god) she added mana powder which takes its place - made by tossing redstone/glowstone/gunpowder/sugar/any floral powder in a mana pool (without the alchemy or conjuration catalysts). Since you can use sugar or floral powder, that's drat cheap and easy, and you no longer have to figure out how many of the nearly-identical petals are mana and how many aren't.

The pure daisy was also made faster, which I appreciate given how much livingrock I can go through.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

LanceKing2200 posted:

So where's the catch? This seems... overall totally improved.

No catch. She did a huge thread on the FTB Subreddit last week asking for feedback, and this overhaul is the result.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Alkydere posted:

The issue is that hoppers = hot laggy death for multiplayer servers. The things are horrible and I'll do everything I can to avoid them. While it's a bit slower you can also emulate the exact same effect with just chests and pipes (EIO, TE, or if you really hate yourself, Buildcraft) which is exactly what I do. You can even serve multiple inscribers from one chest since they are kinda smart in that they won't let you put invalid materials in them (i.e. an inscriber with a calculation press won't accept a gold bar or a blob of silicone). Of course this could all be avoided if inscribers a) let you put a loving stack inside them and b) if they weren't so finnicky about sides.

I've never played in a pack/on a server with the Advanced Inscriber and it sounds like I desperately need to. On the other hand I'm spoiled by admins like Taffer who would set up alternate recipes for the chips. Why yes, I'd unironically love to pay twice or more in resources to build the damned chip until I get automation setup.

Hoppers are not that bad! Everyone around here acts like placing any Hoppers ever will melt your server, kill your pets, and ruin everything forever. And thats simply not the case.

Yes, they used to be awful. They aren't nearly as bad anymore. Yes, if you place a whole ton of them, they can be a problem, but you're more likely to run into lag caused by animal or mob farms or improper pipe systems before a handful of Hoppers to automate some inscribers.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Thyrork posted:

Yes but worse... I think. I gave up pretty early on. :shrug:

WAILA was probably the cause, and is still kinda unstable. It got another update today. JEI is very stable.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

I actually think this is way worse. Tell me the book at least lets you know what you need to scan, because with hundreds of blocks and entities to sift through, the alternative is sorting through every single scan anyway. Missing scans of certain items -- especially ones I had to make via Thaumcraft anyway -- is what eventually stopped my research progress in Blightfall anyway.

If you hold the Thaumometer, things that can be scanned have little question marks floating on them. These correspond to one of two things - an aspect (to gain "practical knowledge" of it, which I am not sure what that means, honestly) or a clue to a hidden research (like iron golems and the golemancy tab). You only have to scan a few things, overall.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Ciaphas posted:

I'd be happy just getting the full list on a wiki somewhere soon, frankly. Odd man out I might be, but modded Minecraft is not a game I play to explore the world and find things; it's to do silly things with people or build machines (Thaumcraft /Botania /etc stuff included) that would make Escher cry tears of blood if he saw them

Other than that though yeah I think the new research system is better, especially considering the reduced/simplified compound aspects making it much easier to just wing it given your supply of primals per note

Personally, I'd just like a list of the hidden researches, myself. The rest I don't mind. This is easily the least obnoxious research system yet, and if you find research fragments, they can be used to give extra primal when doing research.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
So, a few thoughts about TC5.

1) This is the way aura should have been for TC3. It was so easy to drain that to nothing and render an area utterly useless, now, there's enough nodes and the aura types are split up so it stays usable.

2) Easy mode research is actually a reasonable alternative if you don't want to do the research. It costs experience levels now, which are never hard to get.

3) Golems are easier to unlock than people are thinking - make a snow golem and scan it. No need to find an iron golem (or make one).

4) It takes less than five minutes to go through an entire base and ensure you've got all your scans, even with digging out of inventories now, thanks to the floating ? mark indicator on things in-world and the fact that it's just a right click isntead of having to hold for a few seconds. Unlocks stuff pretty drat quick.

5) One of the warp events is now the creeper hiss. I nearly jumped out of my world because of it. Scared the hell out of me.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

Is NEI not even updated to 1.8 yet? I see people talking about these weird replacement mods for it.

No, and it's not looking likely anytime soon. Chickenbones, as far as I've heard, has had stuff going on, keeping him away from modding. Just Enough Items is a replacement for recipe lookup and item spawning (and has lots of mod integration, also a JEIaddons exists) If you want the old f7 light level display, get the Just What I Needed mod. The mouse wheel item movement can be replicated with Mouse Tweaks. The other stuff that NEI did, I don't know of a replacement yet.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Devor posted:

In FT Infinity Evolved, If I'm using a Cyclic Assembler to do Garlic + Eggplant + Bakeware(not consumed), how can I balance things so that I don't keep accumulating eggplants til it fills up? Or at least get those eggplants out before that happens.

Use a Retriever to pull to the assembler, instead of using a servo to send them. Set it to hold exactly xx (like 32 or 64 or whatever) of each one. As it uses them, the Retriever will call more from the duct network.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Devor posted:

Success!

My stumbling block was that the retrievers default to only on with redstone signal. Smooth sailing after that keeping a max stack of 32. This is much more awesome for crafting.

Looks good. All Thermal Dynamics Servos/Retrievers default to "Redstone Signal On", but that's easy enough to change.

This is one of the reasons I prefer Thermal Dynamics over EnderIO's conduits. I've used both extensively, and I've found TD's system of servos, filters, and retrievers to be much more elegant and flexible than EIO's system - and I rarely have need for the insane compactability of EIO's conduits. (This is personal preference - I freely admit both sets are quite powerful and one could, undoubtedly, do 99% of setups with either mod.)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Ciaphas posted:

I just found out that the lava for your blue crystal liquid crap doesn't have to be a source block, it can be flowing lava

gently caress

Yep. It's way better to throw it into flowing lava and stop wasting buckets and buckets because you have to make a TON of glasswares and blue gems. Like, holy poo poo you'll need a lot.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Meskhenet posted:

Anyone that has played the simply magic modpack, how did you get enderpearls? Ive seen 1 enderman, in the day, he was taking damage from god knows what. I put him out of his misery, but no pearl :/
You have Botania, right? Set up a Vinculotus and a Bellethorne, with a hopperhock next to a barrel nearby. It takes little mana, and every time an enderman teleports anywhere nearby, it'll get sucked into the trap and die.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I released a pack on Curse for anyone who might be interested, a simple magic pack for 1.8.9 called Sky Magic. It defaults to a Garden of Glass skyblock setup but if you want to play in a normal Overworld just disable the Garden of Glass and Crafting Tweaks files. It has Blood Magic, Botania, Intangible, Psi, and Thaumcraft so there's no shortage of stuff to play with.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

xanthan posted:

What's Garden of Grass? Playing around with magic in a skyblock sounds cool.
Pretty much what Arioch said - Botania skyblocking. You're basically locked into focusing on Botania for a while to gain resources and can branch out later rimarily after you've been to the Nether and can make an Alchemy Focus so you can convert materials, as it's the only way to get sand, and therefore, glass.) all vanilla resources are acquirable via Botania methods, and the Orechid is reduced to almost nothing in terms of making it and mana cost to run it so you can use it to generate all the ores.

I've used Crafting Tweaks to add recipes for Thaumcraft's elemental shards, Greatwood Saplings, and Silverwood Saplings, so that Thaumcraft is playable. Everything else is playable as-is.

If you like skyblock maps, it's about as magic-focused as you can get, and it's a lot less grindy than the usual Ex Nihilo-based skyblocks. Be sure to read the Lexica Botania's entry for Garden of Glass, though, as that's as much of a guide for progression as you'll get.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Glory of Arioch posted:

Probably the biggest stumbling block in Garden of Glass is igniting the portal to the Nether. Use a vanilla fire charge, fired out of a dispenser.

You can just right-click it for use, no need for the dispenser.

Vib Rib posted:

When you said Sky Magic is on Curse my first thought was "man, I don't want to have to install the Curse launcher!" :downs: I guess I didn't realize you could put whole packs on the site.

Some of the mods in this I didn't realize were for 1.8.9 yet and I wish I had been able to include in a pack I threw together for myself just a few days ago. I swear I checked and double checked for Chisel. Now I can just take it from this pack too!

E: wait, maybe you do have to use the curse launcher? I don't quite understand how to get this working but I'm probably an idiot.
E2: Okay, it appears there's actually two DIFFERENT curse clients, a curse beta and a curse voice and who loving knows. At least I got it working. Thanks for the pack!

Curse Voice is what you use, and I actually recommend it at this point. It's got no ads that I've ever seen, and works damned well (weirdness of launching the vanilla launcher aside). The pack file itself is primarily just a bundle of configs, scripts, and a manifest file, and then Curse Voice downloads the files straight from the actual mod pages. If you unlock the pack (under the pack's options) you can add and remove files easily or simply disable them, and it'll even show you if an update for a mod is available if you want to manually update yourself. It's also easy to put a custom pack together for yourself, too, and since it integrates with CurseForge, you can extremely easily update mods and add more.

Ciaphas posted:

I prefer skyblocks as a rule so I'll definitely be checking that pack. Didn't even realize there was a 1.8 version of Botania; thanks for putting it together!

You're welcome. I've been following (and using) the 1.8.9 port as it develops, and it just got uploaded to Curse a couple days ago, and I pushed williewillus to get the Garden of Glass 1.8.9 file up as well so I could upload the pack. As far as I know, this is the first real skyblock option for 1.8.9, and frankly, I love skyblocking as well, so I wanted something to be available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

So your Sky Magic - Garden of Glass pack is pretty great, I'm enjoying it more than a lot of Skyblocks so far, though at times I did falter trying to remember how to get basic things like more dirt. I finally got to the Nether after obsessively checking my non-automated spawn room for spider string, now I'm off to find blaze rods. I guess beelining the Nether is a good idea so you can get the blaze rods for the alchemical catalyst and start making all kinds of new things, plus nether mushrooms means rod of lands means expandable farming at long last. It's weird having ore/metals be so available while other resources provide choke points.
Weird that after all this time I'm still trying to get more stone. Is there an easy way to automate it? I figure sufficiently advanced golems could either harvest from a lava-fed cobble generator or just take the Use seal and dig up pebbles themselves, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious sooner.

Anyway, great stuff so far.

I can't take credit for the progression - that's all Garden of Glass, which is Vazkii. But I do like it, which is why I wanted it to be available. But yeah, the entire first part is basically all working up to the alchemical catalyst and getting those lost few resources from the Nether.

Arioch beat me to it, but he's basically correct - use a Pulse Spreader with a Bore Lens, and trigger it via your choice of redstone contraption. The one I use is centered around a single block which passes through a signal, instead of pistoning out a line of them, but it's the same concept. Remember to put a Solegnolia near it if you're carrying a magnet ring so you don't get random cobble in your inventory (and it's skyblock, why aren't you wearing a magnet ring?)