Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Falcon2001 posted:

Well, hot diggity drat. You just got me to load up MC again after almost giving up on it.

You're playing the pack I made. It'd be criminal if I didn't try to help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Meskhenet posted:

Isnt the jaded aramathas (or what ever it is) also pretty easy to make?

And dont forget that 1 flower = infinity petals if you have bone meal and shears.

The Jaded Amaranthus is fairly cheap, but early game you can't afford to waste mana running it, typically. It's better to have your mob tower going so you can craft more floral fertilizer to get missing flower colors, and yeah, the petal + bone meal trick is best to use once you have a color you need.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Falcon2001 posted:

I would suggest some sort of goals added, just optionally. An achievement book or something of that nature would be nice and seems relatively low-effort compared to HQM.

Quests have been suggested/requested a couple of times. Most people don't seem terribly fond of the achievement book thing, but it's a possibility. And honestly more likely to happen at this point, assuming there's a mod for it on 1.12.x. I'd have to look. Right now there's no good quest mod.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Toadsmash posted:

There's currently a crash bug with the IE manual in MS2 that you can only fix by forcing Twitch to use the Jar launcher instead of the native one. Thank Mojang/Microsoft for a launcher that's hard coded to use a 3-year-old version of Java.

Settings -> Minecraft -> Launch Method -> Jar Launcher -> Always Use Latest will probably fix a few problems if you're not already using it.

Wait, seriously? I help manage a server and we've had frustrating crash bugs with the IE manual and couldn't figure out how to deal with it.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
A word of warning: the new Twilight Forest is apparently really goddamn rough on worldgen. If you're playing single player, it's recommended you run some pregen and come back later (chunk pregeneration is built into Forge now, and a good chunk pregen mod was just updated.)

I wouldn't use it on servers just yet.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Taffer posted:

TF worldgen has always been horrible so this is nothing new. It has to be pregenned to be remotely tenable on a server.

It's even worse than it was before. Unless you've got a spare day or two to pregen without anyone on the server, I wouldn't use it yet.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

ET, by the way, seems to have lost its in-game documentation, despite introducing a bunch of new blocks and several different solar panels with no indication of what makes them different.

The whole mod was completely rebalanced and the recipes for everything completely redone. Advancing is now a lot mroe expensive and absolutely requires the new special crystals that have an extremely low rate to be minedd up in the Void Ore Miner, and do not, by default, have any lenses that can be used to increase it.

You can whack the controller with the assembler to see what you need to do to set up whatever device you're trying to set up. The Ore and Resource miners are the same as before (creates ore or stone-based resources). The new one, the Void Botanic Miner, pulls up basically any kind of plant. Why you'd bother, I don't know.

I don't know if other pack makers have been, but for my packs I set the various ETech crystals to appropriately colored lenses so you can actually progress in something less than for-loving-ever and a day. If you need to do so for a pack you're playing, it's easy enough to edit the JSON files (config/environmentaltech/void_miner/ore is where they're stored).

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ah, thanks, got it to work.

Hopefully last question: what would the name of this item be? There's a bunch of "immersiveengineering:metal" items, but how would I specify this specific item?

You see that (#6252/14) after "Uranium Grit"? The /14 is it's metadata number. When referencing items that share the same base item (immersiveengineering:metal), you differentiate by appending the metadata after it, with another :. (immersiveengineering:metal:14). This works for every mod. Some items aren't differentiated this way but by NBT instead, which is way more complicated to work with, but mostly you can use the metaddata.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

McFrugal posted:

The dev of Embers seems to have missed the memo about how combat works in 1.12 now and designed Ember Golems to constantly hit you. Also apparently they just spawn randomly instead of in specific structures like the goddamn manual says?

The issue with the Ancient Golems is that they aren't affected by knockback, which is why they attack so frequently. They also do spawn randomly like any hostile mob, but Embers does spawn some worldgen structures similar to dungeons, which always have a Golem.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I haven't had that problem with Ancient Golems before. Either I've been lucky, or something's messing with the golems. What pack?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Devor posted:

I really like the new features of plant growing machines - Cloches and Phytogenic Insulators are fun. But good god, do they like to crash when you're experimenting with automation.

I started out with a Cloche system to make Carrots and Lettuce to feed a Culinary Generator field, and was working great. Got my hands on an Ender Lilly - seems that the Cloche can't handle it - but Phytogenic Insulator can! Got it up and running manually, upgrading fertilizer was fun (although the FTB Direwolf pack has it at 500mb of sap (50 wood processed in default sawmill w/ Resin collector) to upgrade one fertilizer. Pretty unfeasible to automate wood production with that method - and since basic Phyto-gro only returns 50% saplings it's pretty mandatory.

Anyway, I manually sorted out the max tier fertilizer, and got the Phytogenic Insulator with Ender Substrate upgrade running, and spitting out Ender Pearls plus a surplus of Ender Lillies, works great! Then I tried using a buffer chest -> Itemduct w/ Servo -> Phytogenic, and crashed. Maybe tried to shove a pearl in there? Frustrating. But turns out that the default TE push/pull can just shove output seeds and pull output seeds from the same chest. So that worked out really well. On the whole I really enjoyed my first foray with Photogenic Insulators, they do seem pretty well balanced.

And unrelated bug, Ender Lillys give big performance FPS hits when placed in world, BIG hits when held in the active slot, and HUGE hits when you break one and the item is sitting on the ground. So if you're mucking about with them, I'd suggest sticking to Phytogenic Insulators, and not a conventional Ender Lilly farm.

Basically all of this can be traced back to XU2's Ender Lillies (also his redstone plant thing) being special snowflakes and XU2 actually being not all that well coded and Tema not loving fixing his poo poo for months on end.

I may be slightly angry at him right now.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Kris xK posted:

I've always felt Garden Cloches are out of place in Immersive Engineering. Everything else in that mod is big, slow, clunky and somewhat expensive. Cloches on the other hand are compact, cheap, fast and incredibly over powered. They don't even take a lot of power.

Massive understatement. By default they use 8 rf/T and require only periodic water input to put out moderate paced, massive amounts of output. They crazy powerful. They're balanced against early-game IE, which is a pretty bad idea.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

man the new environmental tech is so irritating

in order to build the next tier of ore miner or whatever, you have to wait for literal hours for it to dig up a stack and a half of a special crafting material, and there's no way to speed it up other than building tons of them

That's why I added them to the appropriate color lenses for my packs. They still take a while but the odds of getting one goes from bullshit ridiculous low to like 8-15% depending on tier and which one it is, enabling you to make progress that doesn't require weeks or stupid amounts of them.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

Why the gently caress did they remove the in-game guide, anyway? I know it always said "WIP" but it's better than literally nothing, especially when they've removed it at a time when everything else was getting more complex.

Because it would have wrong information and they wanted to totally rework the guide so it was actually less poo poo. I don't know why it's taking so long, though. Aside from school, I think?

Double Punctuation posted:

Because *immersion*.

No.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Because Optifine hijacks the render system, it can cause a lot of unintentional errors and do stupid things.

These days, you're better off without, 99% of the time.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

Goddamn, I'm playing a custom modpack and I kept thinking I was losing items. I have only one Astral Sorcery aquamarine in my storage (a regular chest), and I was sure I'd picked up more. Not the first time I returned home to think "didn't I have more of this item?"
But now my storage chest with all my vis crystals in it has massive amounts missing -- only a single water crystal and a single fire crystal. The other shortages I wasn't sure but of this one I have no doubt.

I have no idea what could have caused this -- Quark's autosort to nearby chests button, maybe. Some sort of stacking error in Thaumcraft 6 itself. Some weird mod conflict out of several dozen that I'll never be able to pinpoint. Whatever the case, items vanishing from storage is a pretty good reason to stop. I finally got those rabbit hides, too. Kind of a bummer.

It's an error in tc6. They were having trouble tracking down the cause but I think it may have been found.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

Well, it's good to know I'm not crazy, at least. Does it affect items other than vis crystals? They're the only thing I'm 100% sure that I lost, the others were just reinforced hunches after seeing that. But I've definitely seen that "number of items in a stack resets to 0 until you pick them up" bug, which seems to lead to this.

E: Mm, yep. Definitely not the first time I thought "I'm pretty sure I had more than one quartz block".

Yeah, I lost a bunch of iron plates to it. See here: https://github.com/Azanor/thaumcraft-beta/issues/84

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

For a different topic: I'm finally getting a chance to mess around with the new Thermal Expansion stuff. For compression dynamos, is there any benefit to using a coolant other than water?

Only difference is how long the coolant lasts right now. But given that water's easy free and infinite, there's no reason to use anything else in dynamos right now.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

CheetoRamen posted:

Can you slap the new thaumcraft onto an existing world and get by? Are there ores/crystals that'll need a newly-genned area, or is it going to crap out without a brand new world?

It has fairly robust retrogeneration abilities. Stuff like the ores and crystals, and even trees, should be able to retrogen in a lot of the area. You won't get magical forest biomes without new chunks, though.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

ImpactVector posted:

Until it's learned the drop rates of a mob it creates a little kill chamber of bedrock (either in the air or at BR level, I forget) at the location of the factory and kills a bunch of that mob. I think it does at least 100 of each kind before it switches over to the library full time.

This is no longer the case. Woot now has it's own, inaccessible, dimension that it uses to run this process.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

TheresaJayne posted:

Exhibit 1: Agrarian Skies, Jaded Cat made ALL mobs in the nether infernal - enter the nether and die horribly at all times.

To be fair, the stated goal there (and was even in the quest book) was that the Nether is horrible and you should never go there for anything.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Use an Obsidian Sharpening Kit on your pick. That'll set the mining level high enough.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Doesn't Botania's alchemy catalyst also let you make easy prismarine? I forget if it's still a thing.

I believe that's only in Garden of Glass worlds.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Not only that, but the next version of the beta (due within a week or so) will be on 1.12.2. It's in active development.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I would hold off on adding Thaumcraft to your local games. There's a lot of bugs and weird interactions that aren't working right at the moment. Beta 11 will fix most of it, it looks like.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
As soon as you get access to it (and you get access very quickly), start turning all your excess essentia into vis crystals. 2 essentia + 1 quartz sliver = a vis crystal. It keeps you from dumping much flux into the aura and gives you more crystals to grind up for salis mundus later.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
You can't "finish" that research but the only things locked behind that stage are void metal golems and essentia smelteries. Just don't worry about it.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Fortis posted:

I mean, essentia smelteries are pretty important, you basically can't do any of the cool infusion poo poo, which is very much functional, without them.

If you don't want to wait for the Eldritch research to be implemented, just do /tc research <playername> METALLURGY to grant yourself the required research to get past that particular roadblock.

Void Golems and Void Essentia Smelteries. I didn't think I needed to include the same word twice.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
The latest version of ETech has a manual again.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Beekeeping and You posted:

I sort of miss the 1.2.5 mods. I just thought of Millenaire and got all nostalgic.

Um...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Toadsmash posted:

1.13 finally dropped for the Java edition, although we don't have so much as a public Forge release for it yet, let alone mod updates. It's gonna be awhile on this one, boys.

By a while you mean "next year"? Forge is undergoing a thorough rewrite, and (most) mod authors won' be updating until a Recommended version comes out.