Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah TE is pretty good at that, you can eventually get up to something like 10x speed 20x power consumption on most machines, and you can dump extra power into powering warp itemducts so there isn't even any travel time between machines. I won't do it because I like seeing my items whiz around in the ducts too much, but it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Are the Project: Red microblocks notably different than Forge microblocks?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

StealthArcher posted:

As a warning to you and anyone else looking at it, Omp-i is currently in it's last days with this map. There's a ridiculously massive update (139>171 mods, lots of config poo poo, huge overhauls in aesthetics) coming and a whole new reworked worldgen. Probably at the latest next Saturday, hopefully sooner.

Sweet. If it wouldn't take forever for you I'd love a rough overview of what's changing.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
He's talking about the impending update to the OMP-i pack, due to be released later this week sometime. Currently the pack doesn't have the Progression in it, but it's still a very competent kitchen-sink style pack.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Don't quote me on this, but I think it's something like

1 - Flint
2 - Copper
3 - Iron
4 - Bronze
5 - Alumite / Obsidian
6 - Cobalt
7 - Ardite
8 - Manyullyn

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Vib Rib posted:

I'm like 95% sure that only cobblestone is free, because smoothstone requires a source block or smelting in a furnace to create normally, and the consumed resources reflect that. It's a very minimal cost though, like 20 mB.

SugarAddict posted:

Cobblestone is free, smoothstone requires a bucket of water, and obsidian requires 1 bucket lava and 1 bucket water.

Most packs have it set to be free, but there's a config option that makes smoothstone take a small quantity of lava. It's meant to represent the cost of cooking stone in a furnace using lava for fuel. Personally I think the effort involved in building and setting up an igneous extruder and aqueous accumulator combo should entitle me to not worrying about the fuel cost for cooking something as unvaluable as plain ol' stone.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It also doesn't have Pneumaticraft, and thank goodness. Botania flowers at least look good and have the common decency not to spread like weeds and automatically replant themselves whenever you try to clear them out.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

I meant that, like Botania, Pneumaticraft adds a ton of flowers to worldgen that hit every possible biome. Unlike Botania however, Pneumaticraft flowers when broken will drop seeds that automatically replant themselves if allowed to sit on dirt for more than 1 second, and if the flowers are allowed to grow to maturity, they will poo poo out more seeds that also plant themselves, forever.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Alkydere posted:

The real annoying thing is that Endermen are immune to ranged (they just teleport) which are the real enemies I want to use TiC crossbows on. Goddamnit fucker, put that grass block down! That's my garden you're tearing up! :bahgawd:

Luckily EnderIO has a special sword just for those fuckers.

Botania's Vinculotus flower is pretty great for them too, whenever an enderman within a large radius teleports, the Vinculotus forces them to teleport to the flower. You might not be able to hit them with your crossbow, but you can still shoot them and force them to teleport into whatever nightmarish Enderman Hell you've constructed.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

SugarAddict posted:

Doesn't the shock focus sometimes set them on fire? Can't collect ender pearls if they keep teleporting 12 chunks away into some random cave.

A quick test says no, I murdered four in a row without a teleport. Took about 2 seconds focused fire per enderman.

Disclaimer: my wand focus is Potency 5, so it didn't give them much time to escape.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

chairface posted:

Does either have Magical Crops with the MFR compatibility patch yet?

OMP-i does.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

BlueOccamy posted:

In AgSkies 2 is there any way to automatically pick up items off the ground? Vacuum hoppers seem to be disabled this time around.

If you don't want to progress that far into Botania, MFR conveyor belts can carry items and dump them onto vanilla hoppers, although you might need to redesign your killroom to use sideways-facing iron spikes instead of ground-placed punji sticks so that you can free up your floorspace for conveyor belts.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone in here know anything about Advanced Generators? I can't work out for the life of me how to actually get it to produce power on its own without other mods. The Steam Turbine seems to need steam from BR (in which case why not make a BR turbine) and the gas turbine needs gases from other mods too, near as I can tell. :confused:

I haven't messed with it much, but if I recall the only way to fuel it without other mods is the rather fiddly Syngas Producer, which is basically a complicated middleman generator that eats coal and outputs steam and "syngas", which is the mod's liquid fuel.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So I'm trying out the new OMP-i pack (singleplayer), and I've noticed something odd. Whenever I try to use my mouse's scrollwheel to move single items in or out of a chest, it only works about a fifth of the time. The rest of the time the item appears in my inventory for a fraction of a second and then blinks back. I've been through the controls and I don't see anything else conflicting with the scroll wheel. Does anyone know what might be causing this? It didn't happen in OMP-i 1.3.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Hey thanks, yeah, that was (sort of) the problem. It looks like both Mousetweaks and NEI have the same scroll wheel function, and they were getting in each other's way.

In case someone else has the same problem and finds this post, I fixed it by changing the WheelTweak=1 line to WheelTweak=0 in the MouseTweaks.cfg.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You don't need to level up your tools ever in OMP-i. Mine copper with a flint pickaxe, make a smeltery steal a smeltery from a village, and pour yourself a copper pick. That can mine iron.

e: beaten, but yes. Use aluminum brass to make your casts.

Edit again: Extra amusing option: Make a bucket out of copper, use it to bucket lava into your smeltery, and then melt your bucket down into iron in the same smeltery.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 20, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Light Gun Man posted:

MAYBE you could do a certus quartz or invar tool early on?

Both of those things require pretty high-level mining levels to break, but you can always brute-force it with a little TNT or creeper-wrangling.

Vib Rib posted:

It really is disheartening that the 1.8 update finally brings some long-awaited performance fixes and none of the modpacks moved to it. I'm sure the "my system can run this AAA game title at 120 FPS but can't run Minecraft" posts are done to death but it really is ridiculous. Even just tiny 2-person servers constantly get tripped up.

Why exactly didn't they move over? I know the way objects are referenced is different, is it just that the tools like forge lagged so long that nobody wanted to go to the effort? Is this likely to change in 1.9?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Enzer posted:

There was a ton of internal changes to 1.8 including how rendering works and what rendering methods were valid to use. 1.8 uses a very strict rendering method which makes implementing some mods not possible, for example the carpenters block mod, according to its dev, is not possible without certain rendering options so he can't update to 1.8 (if this is actually true, I'm unsure, it might be possible but could be incredibly time consuming).
As for your question on 1.9, blockstates might get a better implementation for 1.9, but the devs have stated that they are going to try not to push any internal changes to the code and more or less just push an update that consists of new content and Searge has stated that it should be easier for modders to adopt from 1.8 to 1.9 than going from say 1.4 to 1.5, 1.5 to 1.6, etc, etc.

Hey thanks a lot for the detailed response. So while it's not impossible to convert most things over to the 1.8 format, it requires learning a totally different method, and a complete recode of basic stuff, combined with people not wanting to commit to the new method if it was likely to change soon. I sort of also wonder if a lot of people decided to wait for the promised modding API (ha ha).

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Krakatoah posted:

So along with Blightfall, I've been playing on an FTB Infinity server with some friends and the only mod I know my way around somewhat well by now would be Tinker's Construct...I've pretty much fallen in love with the armor set.

That said, I cracked open this black sphere thing made out of skystone and got some parts for 'Applied Energistics 2' which has made me curious about it, what's it about and how easy is it to get into?

In most packs, Applied Energistics is a bit fiddly but no more than any tech mod. In Blightfall it's pretty heavily gated because it requires constant power, so you'll need to get a reactor up and running before you can mess with it since Blightfall locks all power generation except reactors.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Acne Rain posted:

where are hamsters in omp-i, i've never seen one

E: Also is there any way to place lava in the world automatically besides dispensors in omp-i? What's the simplest way to automate a Thermalily farm?

MFR fountains can do it, as can Thaumcraft arcane spas. Both can have liquids pumped directly into them.

Speaking of pumping liquids, there's a recipe conflict in the latest OMP where trying to make temperate fluiducts makes Magneticraft copper pipes instead.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Must-Haves that add no new items or game abilities at all:
- NEI (Not Enough Items) is a big one to save you the hassle of having to remember recipes.
- Mousetweaks and Inventorytweaks add control shortcuts and sorting options that make basic crafting and item management much faster and less click-intensive.
- WAILA (What Am I Looking At) is a highly customizable mod that adds a little pop-up tooltip whenever you mouse over a block, giving you lots of useful info about it, such as whether the tool you are currently holding can mine that block effectively, and is super super interactive with other mods.

Mods that add a few new things but nothing revolutionary:
- IronChests, which just lets you sink your excess metals into making chests with larger inventories.
- Journeymap or Voxelmap will add a nice minimap to the corner, remember mapped terrain as you explore, and allow you to add waypoints to it, either is very nice.
- EnderStorage lets you color-code your ender chests so you can have a variety of linked inventories. This is the mod that inspired Mojang to add Ender Chests to the base game.

Mods with somewhat larger impact but still don't change the basic nature of the game:
- Tinker's Construct, a mod that allows you to mix-and-match parts to make customized tools, so you could have a pickaxe with an iron tool rod, a steel head, and an obsidian binding. Different part materials all have different properties, and there's tradeoffs you can make between durability, mining speed, etc. It's very cool.
- Pam's Harvestcraft adds new plants to farm and new foods to cook. They don't add any special abilities, but now you can adventure into the nether stocked up on PBJ sandwiches or pizzas instead of a sack of steaks. Also adds some fruit trees so you can grow an orchard.

Those are just off the top of my head. I'm sure others will come up with many I missed.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Lizard Wizard posted:

This is possibly a silly question, but what do the stats in Agricraft MEAN?

Growth = How fast the plant grows. Higher is better, 10 is the maximum. I don't have any hard numbers, but it's quite noticable and makes a big difference.

Gain = How much harvest you get off a crop once it's ready to be picked. So if you're growing wheat with a gain of 1-3 you'll get 1 wheat. Gain of 4-6 = 2 wheat, gain of 7-9 = 3 wheat, gain of 10 = 4 wheat. Crops with Gain of 10 are 4x as productive. Yes you can grow 4 pumpkins on a single plant.

Strength = Resistance to weeds. Meaningless if the pack you're in has weeds disabled. Weeds are kind of a dumb mechanic, basically if you leave an empty crop stick planted it has a chance to get weeds on it, which can then spread to adjacent crop sticks, destroying the plants there if they fail a Strength check. 10 Strength = immunity to weeds. If you've never seen a weed, odds are your pack has weeds disabled, so you can ignore this stat. Even if your pack has weeds enabled, just don't be a dumb and leave empty crop sticks planted next to your garden and you'll never get weeds.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You can either cheat, or you can edit the MagicalCrops.cfg file to change the configuration back to normal.

At the bottom of the file you'll see the line "B:"Essence seeds drop from tall grass"=false". Change it to =true.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Compact Machines are so cool you guys

Once a minute or so this one spits out a supreme pizza. Nothing goes into it. The external power line is totally unused, it powers itself on sugar and sewage from the milkin' cow.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Just be aware that breaking the machine destroys the interior dimension, unless you put a nether star into them, which lets them be mined up and placed again. I haven't tried to move them using dollys, transposers, or other such shenanigans.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Less complaining about ponies more posting cool machines

I've been experimenting with Technomancy since StealthArcher added it to the latest OMP-i, and it's got some pretty neat stuff in it. After a few tests I discovered the Essentia Dynamo produces 96,000 RF per Ignis essentia, which is more than enough to power a galvanized bellows (RF consuming device that fuels alchemical furnaces). Here I've got a glacial precipitator pumping infinite snowballs into the furnace which is melted down into Gelum essentia, centrifuged down into Perditio and Ignis. This is basically a magic reactor that runs on water. The Everfull Urn provides infinite water, so it's upkeepless forever. It looks super cool too! Thaumcraft is spergy but man its blocks do have style.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You can get the best of both worlds by leaving warp on, reading a cheat book to get all the research, and then entering the command

code:
/thaumcraft warp <player> <add | set> <amount> < PERM | TEMP >
so in my case

code:
/thaumcraft warp Mzbundifund set 0 PERM
Would set my warp to 0, without undoing any of my researches. Considering you still need to tech up to better wands and things to make any of the thaumcraft items, I don't really see this as circumventing the tech tree, such as it is.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It crashes on the main menu? Before you even open load a save? That's a bit surprising. Have you messed with the modpack in any way or are you just running it using the mods and configurations it had when you downloaded it through the launcher? How much memory have you assigned to it? OMP is a big pack and will not be able to run without much memory.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm really skeptical of the biome affects. It's already a giant pain trying to find nodes with the right vis in them, I do not want to have to leave my compound and travel for miles just to find a desert to get some dang ignis.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Thaumcraft has a bunch of neat concepts it addresses that no other mod does. Pollution, for instance, is something that I can't think of any other mod trying to incorporate. The problem is the pollution has to be interesting. If my options for dealing with flux are:

A) let it go until it spawns a taintcreeper on my head and instakills me
B) go to extreme extra effort to make 60 pharmaceutical filters or whatever to get rid of it
C) pipe it into a jar and huck it at a cactus

Then everyone is going to do C, and it's going to be poo poo. If, however, accruing pollution actually gives you access to some cool evil magic items, then that's great. If pollution starts making my wheat farm occasionally produce mutated Screamwheat(tm), then that's even cool. If pollution just makes all my stuff break and get more expensive, then that's garbage.

I'll remain optimistic, because Warp in its current state is actually pretty cool. Yes it's "bad", but it actually has a bunch of neat effects, unlocks a cool dungeon and a bunch of neat items, and if you decide you're sick of it it goes away on its own. I'm hoping flux will end up the same way.

No defending the research though, that stuff is awful.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I dunno I feel like people only complain about it because they actually like the good stuff and want it without the garbage. Nobody bothers to complain about the mods that are 100% rubbish because that's most of them and who has the time?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you can help me automate the runic altar I promise I will.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Cantorsdust posted:

What are my options for getting rid of liquids in OMP-i? I used to use void pipes on ender quarries with the pump attachment so I could get rid of all the unneeded water, but OMP-i doesn't have those. Any equivalent?

Thermal expansion has a Nullifier that you can pump either items or liquids into to void them.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Cantorsdust posted:

P sure default configs have it set so that only server ops can make portals to cut down on fuckery.

Yeah you'll have to reenable them in the TwilightForest.cfg.

B:AdminOnlyPortals=false

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I thought you were supposed to go to the Nether for tech metals?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

Wouldn't have thought of digging straight down, thanks. I've been terminally afraid of doing so since my very first Minecraft adventure ended, well, terminally. In a pool of lava. :v:

Do the anti-taint effects of pure nodes like in silverwood trees, and Ethereal Blooms, extend through the entire Y-axis, or only in a radius around them?

They purify the entire y-axis, an infinitely tall cylinder from bedrock to space.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Synnr posted:

So I was trying to make ethereal blooms, but I guess the cauldron is just overflowing whenever I finish tossing in everything. Am I supposed to get to these jars and stuff first or something before I can produce them? netherwart, milk and tainted junk in to meet the essentia requires just makes all the smoke, goo and all that while eating my shimmerleaf thing.

Yeah if you want to make ethereal blooms you really need to research advanced alchemy and get the alchemical construct up and running.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The worst thing the FTB launcher ever did was force your modpack to get approved before it would run on it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

30.5 Days posted:

That's correct. We've fallen behind on getting it out but it is coming out really really soon. I wouldn't suggest starting now sorry :(

Shame on you for not releasing this free entertainment fast enough.

Blightfall is such a cool idea, but the bugs and execution just ruined it for me on its first release, I'm really glad it's getting the overhaul it needs. Really looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's one of the few mods that actually integrates building into its progression and function, as opposed to the usual "advancement" of crafting a series of increasingly expensive blocks and tossing them into a room.