Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

mechaet posted:

It's the only mod that does what it does, and doesn't duplicate a bunch of stuff in the process. Automatic win for this round of selection.

But duplicating a bunch of stuff is all the mod does! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You don't really have to go all-out nine inputs to get good efficiency on MFR biofuel. Five is fine, even four.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah I saw the mention of the needle rifle, and if it does mean MFR, I'm chuffed about access to automation without having to go full golem.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Edminster posted:

So uh... how far into Alphadome does the taint spread? I just had a moment of panic where I found a tainted plant growing in a corner and now I want to re-wall it with a true safe zone while I stripmine to bedrock for starting mats. Already got a stack of iron ore and got lucky with a seedbag so I've a copper oreberry bush; I can hold out for a while before I'll have to venture outside but if the taint is inevitable I might need to speed up my timeline.

I'm afraid that pure nodes only affect biomes at a very small radius, I believe it's like 5-7 blocks or something. If the taint managed to worm its way under your glass barrier (probably by growing through the caverns somewhere), then you're on a timer until it eats your whole outer dome leaving you only a very small area near the tree. Fortunately you're in alpha dome, so if you run due south a couple hundred blocks you'll find a marble shrine with a silverwood tree in it and four free ethereal blooms for you to steal.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but from my testing it looks like the way taint spreads is fibrous taint grows from other fibrous taint blocks, and any block that has fibrous taint on it (that isn't under the influence of a purifying source like a pure node or an ethereal bloom) will convert that block's biome to Tainted Land. Biomes are always infinitely tall columns stretching from bedrock to space, so building a floating platform in the sky won't keep you safe from taint, the fibrous taint will just grow across the surface under your platform and convert your platform's biome out from under you.

Fibrous taint can't grow onto transparent blocks like glass, or blocks with non-cube-shaped hitboxes, like half-slabs, doors, torches, etc. Most of the protection in the biodomes comes from the glass barrier, not the silverwood tree. I have only dug under alpha so far, but it appears that the biodomes also seem to have no caverns directly under them, which prevents fibrous taint from growing under the dome and spreading the taint. However there do appear to be a couple spots near the edge of alpha dome where there's a bit of cavern under them that will eventually get taint spreading into it. I don't know if this is just an alpha dome thing or if all the domes are similarly porous.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Edminster posted:

I made it to the swamp scouting location and I've noticed that the raw calamari I got from a squid appears to be sharing the hunger values for either raw or roasted chestnuts. Also I found out that rubber tree logs can't be used to make wooden armor which kind of sucks because that was the replacement sapling I got after my starter oak failed to drop any. At least now I have plastic shoes? v:shobon:v

How did you get a rubber sapling? Just order random seeds bags and get phenomenally lucky?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Man I just stole an entire infusion altar from a secret base hidden at the bottom of the bay, due south of the swamp teleporter. Botania flowers there too!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Anyone know of a good source for Lucrum essentia? I kind of want to transmute up a bunch of gold, but the only source of Lucrum I know that isn't either gold or diamonds itself is those unstable taint tendril things.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Magres posted:

E: Easy source of Ordo I just thought of that I had never considered before because I'm dumb - tree farm for charcoal, cook your charcoal into ignis and potentia, alchemical centrifuge the potentia for ordo and ignis. Voila, one of the worst essentia to get, trivialized. Now if only there were a way to get Aura that weren't absolute poo poo :( Maybe the new Botania stuff will have something, there's gotta be some way to get it en masse or there wouldn't be any point to letting the Machine of the Dawn use it.

I haven't progressed anywhere near far enough in Blightfall to confirm that it exists, but in other packs I've played Forgotten Magic adds a botania flower that eats mana and drops a random ethereal essence. I assume it's here though, try researching down the forgotten magic tab.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
:siren:BUST THE PROGRESSION:siren:

Make a flint sword and pick or whatever

On the ridge that runs down the right-hand side of the central continent there's one of those Thaumcraft spooky obsidian shrine things, with a sinister node and a chest in it. Loot that chest. It's got a Ceruclase helmet in it. DON'T WEAR IT

Go to the waterfall on the same ridge. There's a wall made out of green schist with a cave under it and an ethereal bloom on top. The bloom keeps the cave clean, and the cave spawns hostile vanilla mobs. Dig to the cave and robust some creepers. Grab sand from anywhere and make a TNT.

The hard part: tunnel dive under your bio dome or anywhere until you find a gold deposit. Blow it up with your TNT. Pray you get a gold ore to drop.

Smelt your gold. Pour a pickaxe head cast. Melt your ceruclase helmet. Make a pickaxe head out of it. Supra-diamond mining level. :bustem:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

Not gonna lie, I haven't even left Bio-dome Alpha except for a brief sojourn to the swamp to get some notCopper, then went back to BDA to mine iron and get started on TC.

I'm scared of exploring for some reason, I don't want to die too many times and tank my rep :(

Go to the Marble Shrine south of alpha dome. It's an even shorter walk than you took to get to the swamp, and you can net some botania flowers, four free nitor, and four free ethereal blooms. Just ignore enemies and book it, if you made it to the swamp, you can make it there.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I miss the thaumcraft addon that adds amber wands and everfull urns, those things were the best.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Desperate Character posted:

Once I clear an area of taint on the surface would having a huge square of wood slabs around it prevent fibrous taint from spreading back into the area, or do I need to keep ethereal blooms there?

It'll stop the fibrous taint from growing over the surface, but it won't stop it from growing through underground caves and corrupting your biome that way.

I'm 99% sure that fibrous taint won't spontaneously appear on blocks even in a tainted land biome, it has to either spread from adjacent fibrous taint, or get barfed up by a tainted sheep (when tainted sheep "eat grass" they're actually barfing fibrous taint on the ground). I made a small test platform of dirt and cobble near my base, floating a few blocks above the very very very tainted ground. F3 confirms they're definitely in a tainted biome, but the dirt hasn't become tainted soil, and neither the dirt nor the cobble has fibrous taint on them. They're right near my base so they're in a loaded chunk all the time. Moral of the story is unless you're trying to do something mob or crop related, feel free to have your base on a floating platform in a tainted biome.

Edit: Node chat: I'm not sure how it compares to this Messis node people are talking about, but there's a size 29 Fabrico (contains all aspects) node located at 541, 2010, under the spooky floating upside-down cone island thing. You can sail right up to it. Size 29 means it'll burn down to 5 Centi-Vis of all types.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 15, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It only costs 20 reputation. That's peanuts. You get like 14 for one scouting trip. The "downside" is that unlike most of the things you can order from the supplier, you can only ever get one big reactor, and it's not actually that big. Still, even if you don't intend on using it as is it's a ton of free reactor parts towards getting you a real power system going.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What's the deal with potions? I found a brewing stand, and I was trying to make invisibility potions for the paranormalist quest, but the HQM won't accept them, and NEI won't display potions of any kind, even though I can craft (and drink) them just fine.

Edit: Figured out half of it anyway. The HQM book wants the 8 minute duration ones, not the 3 minute duration, the request is just ambiguous. Still not sure how to get the potions tab to light up in NEI, I can turn other item tabs on and off easily.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 15, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I wonder what Captain Shiitake thinks of my requisition invoices.

Day 1: Seed bag
Day 3: Seed bag
Day 4: Tree bag
Day 7: Clone body
Day 15: Leadstone Power Cell
Day 18: Antique golden pickaxe

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Holy smokes you guys the first thing you should make once you get your energized node set up is an excavator focus for your wand. Mine anything! Mine it right through taint! Mine it from across the room! Recharge it for free forever whenever you're back at your base! Pickaxes are a scrub's game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Magres posted:

I just turned on LAN and did it. Thanks guys!

Hah, found and used the research commands to just unlock everything, mostly to read flavor texts. I love how completely off the goddamned deep end you go in the Eldritch tab. "Why yes, fellow wizards, this tank of magic juice that is under so much force the metal is shrieking in pain is PERFECTLY SAFE."

"Fellow wizards" in this case is the increasingly concerned administration back on the orbital colony ship.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Demiurge4 posted:

drat, best I got is 6. Whats a good way to farm xp for the enchantments?

You can get a surprising amount of XP by setting up a brain in a jar next to an infernal furnace and setting up some way to autosmelt mass quantities of something. Smelting cobblestone from a igneous extruder is easy and cheap. If you need a Zombie brain to scan for the research, go to an eerie totem node at night, those autospawn furious zombies when it's dark out.

Also this is the first pack I've played where Thaumcraft metal transmutation is actually useful. Barley seeds have permutatio essentia so you can transmute iron into copper basically for free, and glass nets you the vitreous essentia needed to transmute tin.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

:mad:

Wolfsbane posted:

http://www.minecraftuniversity.com/mods/thaumcraft/aspect_list/lucrum/

The only renewable source I know of is emeralds, so you would need to create an area that spawns normal mobs, then isolate and cure a zombie villager. On normal maps you use your vast stores of useless silver, but that's not so easy in Blightfall.

Actually now that I've gotten my excavator focus up to treasure 2, I'm rolling in emeralds after a single trip to the mountain looking for mithril ore got me 2.5 stacks of emeralds. Each emerald has 5 lucrum in it, which is enough to get 10 gold nuggets. There's huge emerald ore deposits under the mountain. Add on to the gold I've earned mining for other stuff now and I'm doing fine for gold by this point.

Oh, villagers are easy to get! If you right-click a tainted villager with a wand that has the Purity focus equipped, he converts to a normal villager!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Edminster posted:

Are the actual leaves/wood important for Silverwood's cleansing aura or is it all in the Node?

Also on Spice of Life: When it says 250 hunger is that counting saturation as well? Because if not then holy poo poo I am definitely reducing it down to 100 or something. SoL is fun to play with but goddamn. I'm finding making butter and cheese to be a gigantic pain in the rear end. Was there any reason for removing the 'craft milk bucket to get milk item' recipe?

No, the 250 hunger is not counting saturation, so the default settings require you to fill 25 complete hunger bars before diminishing returns wear off. It is completely insane. Note that in the config file it says it's set to 500 hunger, because internally a full hunger bar is 20 hunger, (each half-icon is 1). I dropped it to 100, in the config file, which is 5 full hunger bars worth of food.

Does anyone know of a good way to get diamonds? I'm finally closing in on the flowers I need to start botania, but I only have one diamond right now, and I know botania requires mana diamonds for a lot of things. A good source of ender pearls would also be appreciated.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Taffer posted:

You should be able to find plenty while mining. They seem to spawn at vanilla levels so mining at y11 with a hammer should get you quite a bit, especially if you get a fortune pick. And since you can swap out tool parts, this is really easy to do. Stick 1 piece of lapis on your pick, and it will slowly (very slowly) grow. As you get more lapis you can stick a bit more on there to speed it up. If you do a decent amount of mining with this then diamonds shouldn't be a problem. I got up to like 80 diamonds at one point but still struggle to get single digits of lead/copper/tin.

Ugh, I was hoping the answer wouldn't be mining.

... Maybe I'll just grind warp until I unlock Voidmetal pickaxes and thaumic bore a huge tunnel at bedrock layer. Thanks for the response though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Magres posted:

In happier news, once you get some rubber, automating milk bottle production is piss easy and I'm now enjoy carpal tunnel free Sano. The Engineer quests point you to it nicely, just takes a fluid transposer and an MFR Rancher - I'd recommend also upgrading your energy cell to Hardened or better, personally, or your rep:RF conversion is atrocious

If you research the Alchemical Boiler in the Automagy tab you can skip the bottling step entirely!

Also Alchemically Boiling MFR sludge is a source of vitium, so you can automate that as well if you have harvesters grinding up trees.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Glory of Arioch posted:

I actually left in the default hunger settings and I haven't had a problem. I like that it makes exploration that much more rewarding; I got a little more excited than I probably should have when I found spice leaves in the world.

I didn't have a problem staying fed either, and that itself was a problem. It didn't feel like I was scrambling for resources on a hostile planet, it felt like every X minutes I had to break off from designing a machine or scouting a cool area or constructing a neat looking building because it was time yet again to troll through NEI and all those awful fiddly little harvestcraft recipes. Oh sorry this one needs a saucepan not a skillet. It wasn't hard, it was just a chore.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

Is there a total range limit on vis relays? I know a single relay can go eight blocks, but can I (say) get CV from an energized node at y=160 down to my arcane bore at y=12, or am I gonna have to go to the fuss and bother of finding more nodes and making more stabilizers and transducers?

I've run CV hundreds of blocks vertically, you'll be fine there. I'm not positive what happens if you try to run vis relays so far horizontally that the energized node ends up in an unloaded chunk, but if you're just going to bore out the underground you're not likely to run into that problem for real-time weeks.

Edit: Blood Magic has a ritual that can transport large areas of blocks, so there's sort of a way to do that by using those to warp your whole energized node to a different location. If you mean is there a wireless way to teleport CV, not that I know of.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 18, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

SugarAddict posted:

Or you could use a focus of equal trade.

FYI, you can get 4 primal aspects from smelting enchanted fabric, another 2 from feathers, and 1 from dirt. If you have a farm you probably have alot of sheep and chickens. You can even use the non-white sheep because you can pulverize 1 wool into 4 string.

Equal trade works, but I prefer excavation, because equal trade only affects blocks on the surface, so if the mineral pocket you're extracting goes into the wall any distance, you'll have to mine through the cobblestone or whatever you swapped the surface layer of the ore for in order to get it. You can just beam it at ores on the ceiling too. Mines anything and can be enchanted with Treasure to get bonus drops from coal / diamonds / shards / redstone / etc.

Alkydere posted:

1) where does one get a botania book?

Botania books are in botanical locations around the world. The easiest one I know is to go to the secret hideaway behind the waterfall under the lake scouting location. Swim down the waterfall a bit and look for the lever in the little hollow behind it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm actually not sure what to do next in my Blightfall world. I haven't exactly advanced far, mind--I've got a reasonably stable Infusion altar and a basic thaumic energistics system (no essentia interface or provider yet), but I've run out of goals that aren't going to involve a hell of a lot of grinding. :(

Have you done all the scouting missions? Research a flying ship and unleash your inner Phileas Fogg. This also doubles with opening up Botania, which lets you get all sorts of stuff and isn't very grindy.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Threep posted:

I'm not good with Thaumcraft, how do you get Perfodio for the Pickaxe of the Core in Blightfall?

Just smelt pickaxes. Any pickaxes work. Prometheum, bronze, whatever.

edit: they have to be old school pickaxes, crafted by three ingots over a couple sticks. Tinker's pickaxes won't work.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

Personally I just turned to a wand with an upgraded shock focus and have not looked back. Potency II and Chain Lightning so far and it just wrecks everything.

This is the right answer, shock wands are incredible, especially in this world where there's no creepers you have to watch out about accidentally supercharging. Shock wand is super vis efficient, don't waste levels on making it Frugal, just go full hog on damage.

Once you get a super node and an osmotic enchanter, an enchanted thaumium sword and eventually sword of the winds will be a useful backup to the shock wand. For once I wouldn't bother with Tinkers' weapons - getting the right materials is too bothersome.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The Aqua upgrade for golems increases their sight range by a lot. Not sure if it stacks with spectacles but even if not it should be plenty. If you want to keep using the Ordo upgrade on your harvest golems you'll need to either make an advanced golem or use one with two upgrade slots (flesh, thaumium).

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Machina you can get from Stone (or wooden, but those are slightly harder to mass-produce) Buttons. A tier 2 igneous extruder fed by an aqueous accumulator will put out more smoothstone than you could possibly burn.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Would you be using a hopperhock to collect the reeds?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Magres posted:

code:

o = water
x = reed
m = mana spreader
b = mana spreader w/ bore lens

bm
oxxo
oxxo
oxxo
oxxo
oxxo
oxxo
oxxo
oxxo
oxxo
oxxo
oxxo
 mb
Regular spreaders point into their adjacent bores, bore spreaders point across the reeds, all of them are a block up from the ground so they don't entirely uproot the reeds.

Why have regular spreaders at all? I'm pretty sure (test this first before quoting me on it!) that bore lenses don't break mana pools, so you can replace the regular spreaders with those. You lose mana by firing mana bursts directly from spreader to spreader, but firing from spreader to mana pool is 100% efficient. That way you'll only lose mana directly from breaking blocks.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

McFrugal posted:

Can't you just have harvest golems harvesting sugarcane? Also, an auram alchemical furnace can be golem-free. Just put two alembics on it, one with an auram label and the other hooked up to an oblivion jar. The auram label needs to be on the bottom alembic, IIRC.

No Oblivion Jars in blightfall unfortunately, it doesn't have the Thaumic Exploration addon.

...huh I just got an idea that I'll have to test.

Ciaphas posted:

I left my world in a bit of a state this morning. I'm down to like 50 rep from 255 from too much dying, wasting rep on machine bags, and needing lots of lead and copper and ghast tears from requisitions. I cheated slightly and left my character flying in creative (so I don't die of hunger) above my golem wheat farm, so hopefully when I get home tonight I have enough bread to stave off disaster. I need to get my energy cell upgraded from Redstone (one of my lucky machine bag finds) to Resonant soon I think, too; my AE network is at its max eight channels and is draining an awful lot of power constantly. (I guess I could turn off the power when I'm not using it, but at this point I'm basically using it all the time--importing essentia or wheat from the farm or whatever.)

Do you have any local power generation or are you getting it all from requisitions? Yellorium is a pain to get but you can use botania RF generation via the Mana Fluxfield. It's not too hard to automate and you can get an awful lot of power out of it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is it true that totems stop functioning until broken / replaced once their chunk goes unloaded?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
In the more recent versions of Thaumcraft Warp actually stops affecting you if you go for a while without doing any more warpy things. Your warp level stays the same and getting any more warp will cause you to suffer from effects of that level, but not doing warp stuff will make your warp effects affect you less and less until they stop altogether.

Whether or not that makes warp a good mechanic or not is a matter of personal opinion, and I can understand both sides of it. I think it's kind of fun, personally.

edit: grinning devil mask all day

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder, could you make an automatic charcoal farm using nothing but Botania and vanilla?

(redstone circuitry convenience mods optional, gently caress if I'm gonna take the time to learn a vanilla xor circuit or timer or whatever)

Yeah I bet you could. Only plant trees with predictable growth shapes like birch, have bore lenses pointing downwards towards them at just the right height so that their burst travels right up to the dirt block but doesn't quite break it. Collect logs via filtered hopperhock, transport to furnace via red string. Collect saplings via another filtered hopperhock, stash them into a vanilla dispenser or open crate that drops them onto a rannuncarpus, which replants them. The hard part would be to detect when the tree is ready to be cut down, but I bet you could work something out by having a secondary mana spreader fire mana bursts once per minute (using a hovering hourglass) that pass directly above the sapling into a mana detector. The mana detector resets a timer each time it's hit, and if the timer is allowed to finish, triggers the bore lens. So the tree grows, blocks the detector mana burst, the timer counts down, the bore lens fires and deconstructs the tree, and there you go.

This is all me theorycrafting though. Maybe I'll try to actually build one at some point.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Shukaro posted:

You don't even need botania, just use dispensers to plant and bonemeal birch or spruce, and a BUD to know when the tree grows. Then, pistons get the dirt out of the way and push the logs up via sand where they're then pushed over to a chamber where you drop aggro'd skeleton-creeper pairs that blow up the logs which land on hoppers. To get those pairs you build a mob farm that filters spiders and endermen via size, zombies by villager aggression, and creepers by cat fear. Then you put a skeleton (A) between you and another skeleton (B) who is aggro'd onto you, and once skele A is mad at skele B (detected via tripwire), move A and interdict a creeper between them and B so that they rile up the creeper. Then, drop A and the creeper.

Simple.

Source: me, who did this

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Silver is stupid rare, you might need to invent an Arcane Bore before you can find any easily. Diamonds are generated just like in vanilla, they're in every biome at low altitude.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I had decent luck with random bags, but abysmal luck with mining. I literally could not find lead for hours, so I requisitioned my one free leadstone energy cell and pulverized it, converted one of the lead ingots to nuggets, and used those nuggets as seeds for the thaumcraft alchemy that to transmutes metallum and ordo to lead. I've still never found any ore, I'm getting all my lead with just infinitely cloning that original lead nugget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Magres posted:

If you centrifuge vitreum or potentia from glass or charcoal, you get half ordo and can transmute the stacks and stacks of iron you have into lead.

Ordo in general is just a bitch to get unless you centrifuge it down.

I had so much random rock from mining to try to find lead I converted all of it to vanilla cobblestone and smelted it up in my infernal furnace before converting it to chiseled stone using Chisel. Got most of my ordo so far that way, although I'm not sure if it's possible to automate. I didn't really look because I didn't need more than 30 lead or so.

Another neat trick you can use to get metal is most of the Metallurgy ingots can be used to make vanilla buckets, which can be smelted down into iron in a Tinkers' smeltery, which is easy enough to automate the extraction with a hardened fluiduct, a servo, and a hopper.