Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Faldoncow posted:

Ya, I tried right clicking a servo onto them, but it has no effect. Right clicking them with my wrench just removes the connection to the machine/table/etc. I feel like either it's bugged, or I'm missing something obvious.

Did you try a servo, or a pneumatic servo? Those are different things, servos are new items that look like duct ends that you need to pull liquids/items from things that don't eject automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
Agreed. I didn't even like Blightfall and I'm still excited to play it tomorrow.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Taffer posted:

The blog post was too long and ranty for me to bother with but the change is good. Spamming poo poo passive stuff has been a path in mc modding since the first solar panels showed up, and it's awful. It's terrible gameplay, it's terrible for servers, it's grindy, the list goes on. I have personally on my servers seen someone build a field of dayblooms and nightshades 2000+ strong, and while I was impressed that it wasn't worse on the server than it was, it was still bad. And dumb.

Removing that entirely from gameplay is good game design.

Except that problem was already solved with the default-on decay time config option. If you have a server and don't want it murdered by passive flowers (and don't trust your users to behave sensibly) or don't want to be tempted by "easy mode", leave the decay on. If you like having the option of set-and-forget generation and don't care about the server overhead, turn it off. Taking away the config option is 100% MUH VISION bullshit. I agree that daybloom/nightshade spam is terrible, but I don't see how endoflames or any of the automatable active generation flowers are any less grindy than hydroangeas since the only difference is the amount of infrastructure needed to make them completely hands-off.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Ambaire posted:

I installed this pack to take a look, and I agree with you... all you start with is one tree and a dirt block, no bone meal or watering can so you're at the mercy of the RNG for tree growth. This does not look like much fun...

So, you're not entirely wrong, but there are a few mods that make things much easier. First, there's a mod that applies a bonemeal effect randomly to saplings around you when you either crouch or sprint, so mash Shift to grow trees. Second, VeinMiner lets you mine huge chunks of things in a single go. I think it's configured to work when you mine something with a tool and hold ~. This works with pretty much anything, and its definition of 'tool' is very broad so you can clear out leaves with a sapling in hand, for example. Placing all of the gravel/whatever blocks to hammer is still annoying but you can harvest them all in a single swing. Third, the clay bucket from I think Tinker's Construct makes getting an early cobble gen much simpler. You can use crafting tables for the structure. They look dumb, but they don't burn. Use your first 2 iron on shears and shear leaves for all the dirt you'll ever need. From there it's pretty quick and simple to automate the cobble -> dust chain + sifting with pulverizers/auto-hammers and the auto-sifter.

It's still super grindy, but it's a skyblock so I repeat myself.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

SugarAddict posted:

I've been reading the good-bad mods thread and my initial thought was this mod made it when holding shift you are actually pooping on the tree to fertilize it.
What the heck have you done to me.
GOOOONS!!! :arghfist::byodood:

My initial encounter with the mod described it as 'twerk for trees'. I don't know if that's better or worse.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Bhodi posted:

The last time I remember using wooden pipes back when I played on some goon server. This was the one where we made the aircraft carrier and the enterprise, I think?

But seriously, how did you kill that one enderman? I killed a few little enders and got a ender pearl, but no of course it's a kill quest not a get ender pearl quest.

Bumrush enderman without setting them off, swing at feet until dead. It's easier if they're higher up than you, but for some reason smacking their feet prevents them from teleporting. I'll only ever get hit back maybe once doing this as long as I'm careful to do it when no other mobs are around. In my most recent Regrowth playthrough I killed my first enderman with the starting flint sword and no armor.

Alternatively, set up a 3x3 or 4x4 roof 2 blocks high, stand under it, stare at any enderman you see and wait for them to come to their death.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

It's good, but by far too haphazard, and doesn't create the kind of box shapes I need, even with the shape modifiers (they go on too far and frequently punch through the mountain).
I'm just going to use the TC tools for minor base shaping anyway, seems worth the investment for a little convenience. Not like I'm going to be stacking modifiers.

You can define your own shapes with I think Ctrl plus the mode switch key. Just change the -1 to however deep you want the mining to go. It'll still only mine a single material at a time, unfortunately.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Check the TechReborn compressor recipe. It does 1 ingot -> 1 plate, at the cost of RF. (Survivalist generators and compression dynamos are good early game power options.)

I'm pretty sure you need redstone before you can get the compressor. As far as I know you just have to grunt out the iron for the casing (and lead for the hammer) to get redstone and after that rush straight for the compressor. Personally I've found the TechReborn water mill is great for power. I had one surrounded by 8 water source blocks and it powered my compressor, extractor, furnace, and bronze combustion chamber without much issue, especially after I fed it into a couple bat boxes.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

The last MS2 update nuked my (still early) world, so I started over.

Trying to get this stupid stone combustion thing working is getting on my nerves. I'm trying to make the basic alchemical dust and even though the multiblock is valid and I have the right ingredients and enough heat, nothing's happening when I turn it on.

Either your game is bugged or one of those things isn't true. I'd suggest double-checking that you have the exact numbers of ingredients in the chamber, since any deviation from the ratios shown in the recipe will prevent the combustion.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, I've been doing the former, but it's kind of tedious having to keep smelting clay shears and going at it, hoping to automate it sometime but that's probably not for a long time, so the auto-bonsais help a lot for now.

The recipe might have changed since I haven't played the last few versions, but as soon as I got an emerald I slapped a silky jewel on a Tinkers' axe for infinite durability shears.

Vib Rib posted:

At what point am I supposed to upgrade to electrum casings/combustors/condensers? I need sugar to get silver, which I guess I need an Actually Additions machine for, and apparently the limiting factor there is the lens, which needs manasteel? So... post-Botania? Or am I missing something obvious? This netherrack/bronze setup is bugging me, but at least the fact it runs on RF means it's super efficient (even for netherrack) with my easily-built survival generator, even if it's slow as hell.

I got a ton of sugar out of my drop mob farm so I didn't need the AA crusher to get it. Given when electrum is mentioned in the guide, I kind of feel that that's what you're supposed to do. Also, I like the Tech Reborn water mill for early power, it's just a Generator plus some wood. I surrounded one with water and it powered my combustion chamber and a whole bank of machines pretty comfortably.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
I personally used wooden spikes lining the base of my fall platform, so that the mobs wouldn't die automatically but would to a single hit. A few swings with a Tinkers' broadsword clears out the platform and an Embers vacuum pipe hoovers everything up. I could automate it more but I have so much of pretty much every mob resource I don't see the need.

For ender pearls, I strongly recommend ignoring endermen and going for a seed from punching grass. Once you get one, plant it and turn enhanced bonemeal into pearls at a 1-to-1 ratio. Because of this, until I got enough resources for vector plates, I just used a normal water-fed drop trap. I never was able to handle spiders well, though, so if anyone has any suggestions there I'd also be grateful to hear them.

I didn't get obsidian blocks until I had a smeltery, but I imagine lava + water + a diamond pick still works and can be done slightly earlier in the tech tree since you just need a cauldron rather than a crusher. A manasteel pick can mine obsidian too, and you should be able to get that pretty early, since I don't think anything in early Botania needs steel, so that might be the earliest way to get blocks in your inventory.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Toadsmash posted:

Unless you're really attached to it, you can drastically reduce the RAM requirement for Simple Life by removing Decocraft. Good advice in general, really!

If you want gnarly custom furniture, you can still mess with Chisel & Bits, too.

How does this affect the quest book, since a lot of those rewards are Decocraft junk?

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
It could be a bunch of things. The spawning room isn't that big, so it may just take a while for mobs to spawn there. Then, they have to randomly walk over the hole to fall, which if it's a 1x1 like it looks like could also take a while. Finally, if you have any 3x3x2 open spaces in there, a spider could spawn and block things up completely even if the hole is 2x2. Have you climbed back up to the spawning room to see if anything's spawned but not fallen?

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It depends on the mob. What you can do is go up about five blocks or so, and put signs in a ring inside the drop tube, then put water on top of the signs. The signs prevent the water from filling the rest of the tube, and any mob that passes through the water has its fall damage cancelled.

Note that if your farm spawns endermen, this water layer will make them teleport around.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
If you have grass, use bonemeal and break grass for flax or hemp seeds. Otherwise, make a darkroom 24 blocks away from where you spend most of your time, make sure its inner dimensions are at least 3x3x2 and wait.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

So I decided to try Modern Skyblock 3, and holy crap the addition of loot bags makes things so much better.

It was even nicer before they fixed the Bag Storage dupe bug :v:. But yeah there's some huge QoL things in them, like a ton of Reliquary stuff that lets you make/find a bunch of QoL stuff like unbreakable and AoE shears or the magnet coin.

MaliciousOnion posted:

What's the best way to automate the combustion heater early game?

The Staged and Gated modes lock the combustion collector behind the first automation stage, so until then I like to use an Iron Dropper + Redstone Clock. The dropper shoots items out way faster than the vanilla one, and lets you set a delay on picking up the dropped items so that you can stand in the corner of your heater and pick up the results without picking up too many of the catalysts, at least as far as simpler recipes like dirt goes.

Also a tip for people who are dumb like me and assume no alloy furnace means no alloys, once you can make or find gold and silver, grind them up to make electrum for the casing on your heater. It's good for the collector too, but the casing lets you make glowstone without the absurd efficiency loss of the nether brick casing.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Was the crucible inserter removed from MSB3? It's still listed in the in-game guide, but it's not in JEI or anything.

No, if you haven't reached a stage yet the items in that stage aren't visible in JEI searches. You can still chain into the recipe by doing a "made with" lookup on something made with an item that's locked, or a "this makes" lookup on a crafting component, but otherwise it's like they don't exist. This confused the hell out of me at first too.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
Is there anything I can do to get the Waystones in Exoria to stop killing me with fall damage other than slime boots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Update the pack to 1.0.2. It got fixed.

Sweet!

Krakatoah posted:

Isn't that just a 5x5x5 room though? I could be wrong.

5x5x4, unless it counts air blocks rather than measuring walls.