Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Continuing the AE discussion

Fortis posted:

Doesn't the ME Controller require a pure crystsal of some variety? I know the calculation processors do.

The simplest solution is to use AE2's own recipe editing and/or minetweaker to remove the requirement for pure crystals altogether, and maybe also add a crafting recipe for the different presses.

ME Controller requires 4 pure fluix crystals, yeah. But you don't need one for a starter AE2 system; you can do a lot with the starting 8 channels. Once you're thinking about expanding to auto-crafting and extending storage to things like barrels or DSUs you have the resources to slap down an auto-crystal growing setup.

Calculation Processors require pure certus quartz which is a pain; without one you can't convert your terminal to crafting. You're stuck with using AE as a centralized storage until your accelerator(s) bear fruit in that regard. I guess you could mitigate it early by having a crafting table sitting nearby.

Presses as is are a lost cause. Them showing up in meteors doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense and really should've been craftable from the start.

EDIT: Also holy poo poo I've posted more than Rutibex last thread.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

IronClaymore posted:

Thermal Expansion has augments that are great in the whole area of X* power Y* speed area. The +secondary augment for pulverizers are great but I will always love the bedrock laser drill though.

Even then there's an upper limit that Big Reactors and some of the more insane power builds wouldn't even flicker at. At some point you'd need a machine that will draw all available power to do...something. IndustrialCraft did it with UU-matter, AE2 has their spatial pylons, MFR with the laser drills, RFTools and creating dimensions.

I'd like to see something that would take x number of chunks and "parallel universe" them, regenerating them according to some rules you set up. Use it to strip mine in one spot over and over again! Bring in The End, The Nether or some other dimensions. Create lakes of sewage where none existed. Deliberately delve into the forbidden rules and call up a portal to a vast tentacle monstrosity/unthinkable alien of choice.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Datasmurf posted:

So, I didn't see it in the OP, but how about a write up of the different goon servers?

There's a reason why there's the PGS to trawl through. I think only Modderation has something going for now.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Rutibex: "1.2.5!!" :v:

Latest version is fine, mods are caught up to it and matured beyond their respective ports.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Here

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Pretty close, pulled this from the Iguana Tweaks page:

0 Wood/Stone/Netherrack/Paper/Slime/Cactus
1 Flint/Bone
2 Copper
3 Iron/Thaumium
4 Bronze/Steel
5 Obsidian/Alumite
6 Ardite
7 Cobalt
8 Manyullyn

Regrowth monkeys around with the tiers to extend it still further by sticking Thaumium and then Steel after Alumite.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Makes it easier to start up when you're pressed for materials a la Agrarian Skies or Regrowth. You can build the smeltery to fit your base rather than vice versa. Beyond that, dong smelteries were always a possibility if you were creative enough.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Strings are still the non-slime things, yeah.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I get it occasionally, no idea why because I haven't looked at the crash log and loading it back up isn't too onerous.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Ooh baby that is a clever trick to push all your bits of liquid metal into one block caster. I'll have to steal that trick when I'm back to early stage.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Iguana Tweaks.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Hell making a hidden hamster run to your *real* base should be your utmost priority.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Essentially the lowest tier fluiducts are tempermental with temperature; too hot and they'll melt. You need at least the second tier if you're dealing with molten metal.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

chairface posted:

Wait wait so you have a block with more blocks inside it all bag of holding style? That's loving amazing and wonderful. I don't suppose there's a handy way to clone the block once it already has a machine setup in it? Also can I do recursion on that poo poo and have a magic block-with-more-blocks-inside-it inside such a magic block already?

EDIT: Can I put a tesseract inside this magical block?

Alright let's go through what you can do. They're basically a small dimension of their own. Since they are separate, you can't clone the block but you can do things like Quantum Entangle it so that two CompactMachine blocks go to the same space. You can stack CompactMachine's inside other CompactMachines, however.

Tesseracts are also allowed.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 25, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You know what you have to do. Integrate Attack on Titan and a plotline of launching into space before the titans come and eat you! Sprinkle in references to the anime and the likes will come rolling in.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Also advanced tech is gated in a huge way because making titanium is a right pain in the rear and even magical crops won't make it better. Nothing like having to melt down limestone in a mariculture smelter that requires fuel to maintain temperatures and doesn't do any sort of neat thing like Railcraft to use less fuel when maxed out to get magnesium and re-process impure titanium with it. It's sort of why I've lost interest (also powered Mariculture hatcheries are terrible).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Augh, I've ignored Thaumcraft in favour of other magical mods because I've gone through it enough times. I might kick around in Regrowth for a little while longer, I guess.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Don't analyze all of them, just have like a singular path and analyze the last one on it. It's guaranteed to be the best seed of the patch. Carpeting is good for early bounty but terrible to get the best mutations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Cheat em in by this point if you want, though I do recall some related quest providing all witchery trees.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It can end up as a big box, just they are going to be different components. A starting configuration to use up all 8 channels from a surface of an ME controller is

code:
[I] [A] [I]   [A] [I] [A]
[A] [c] [A]   [I] [c] [I]
[I] [A] [I]   [A] [I] [A]
Where
I = interface
A = molecular assembler
c = cable

This will provide you with 9 * 8 = 72 slots for patterns and a pretty good chance that there's no conflict between assemblers.
Once you move into Dense Cable and have access to 32 channels, you can expand the pattern longer (4 times for 288 slots!) and be basically set for crafting recipes in the mid game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Needs more dongs.

Joking aside, that's looking pretty sweet. Waiting patiently for the Blightfall update to go wild on that modpack.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Blightfall? Last update seems to be from a month ago, not last week. =/

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Cutting yourself is just the introduction, you should be cutting others (especially innocents like villagers!) and then building a ritual to auto-bleed hapless minions for their tasty blood. Named witches blocked in glass tubes are probably best since they'll automatically toss regen potions when they get low and naming them keeps them from despawning.

Anyway, check this for a good run-down of what you can do with Blood.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Black Pants posted:

Not a fan of bubblegum pink tools I guess.

They're so fashionable with the purple accents and a strong red rod to bring it all together.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's a whole series of servers of various game types. You have to be registered to actually see what they're selling but essentially they're a combination of freemium items you'd expect out of an MMO (that flame thing sounds like a cosmetic) plus certain things relevant to Minecraft (wooden chest that slowly replenishes itself with iron!).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Eh, Hexxit 2 is nice and all but I want updated Blightfall.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It was created for the launch of another launcher so finding it is all reliant on other people loading it to the other ones, like mechaet has. The problem is that certain pieces from the older version aren't yet complete and I found the progression isn't nearly as tightly designed as the first Agrarian Skies.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Clearly it should be: Build death a goku.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Shukaro posted:

What's a good EE slash ex nihilo type skyblock map nowadays? Bonus points for no HQM.

I've enjoyed the majority of Void World which is ProjectE, no Ex Nihilo and has HQM. Mainly because having most of your resources embedded in fluid EMC allows for rapid development and the prizes will eventually yield things that give hundreds of thousands of EMC. There comes a point in time that the quests require ridiculous numbers of some item to complete some of which cannot be reproduced via transformation (looking at you rubber saplings, blazing pyrotheum, and cryotheum). And of those that can you'll need to set up some EMC generating loop to secure them; blaze rods seem to have the smallest footprint in terms of resource and space cost.

Oh and The General boss fight is dumb and highlights the worst of minecraft's combat system. Cheese it entirely, doing it 'honourably' requires grinding to afford red matter armour and the like.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

McFrugal posted:

The General? Do you mean the one from the runescape mod? The one that has a something like 200 damage AoE attack when he stomps? IIRC the mod says something like you're supposed to use the runescape equipment with bonus "defense" mods to fight stupid poo poo like that but you really should just fly and smack him in the face or pelt him with some sort of ranged attack. His melee attack does less damage, I think.

I think it's just some sort of coked up CustomNPC, thankfully. Nearly as bad though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Bring a pail of water and just drop it all over the blight with rapid right clicks. Quickest way of clearing blight temporarily.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Thankfully you can be frugal and stick a smattering on the leaves, leaving the vines to slowly grow down to the ground for themselves.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

...go harvest more from the Swamp Delta and along the river instead? Use that seven free bonemeal you get every single minecraft day on the cane?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

last i checked, bonemeal didn't work on sugarcane

Hm, you're right, my bad.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Reminder to those that don't like going through the motions of TiC's grout that villages are pretty good sources for a fully kitted Smeltery. Cheese the guards near dome beta (or betta' yet, getting a Taintacle do the dirty work for you!), then steal everything for your own gain.

Edit: When did Botania add a mana tank railcar? That's so ridiculous, I love the idea of it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

So is the ore cache 3 supposed to be a complete dud? I've dug up and down directly at the center and there's no sign of large streaks of ores just laying around. Currently letting an ethereal bloom clear it up a bit before exploring the cavern.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Paranormalist, I believe. It's gated behind completing one choice of five and then eventually up to nine different ways if you've progressed further with the HQM elsewhere.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

What's the deal with potions? I found a brewing stand, and I was trying to make invisibility potions for the paranormalist quest, but the HQM won't accept them, and NEI won't display potions of any kind, even though I can craft (and drink) them just fine.

NEI has them shut off from being displayed. You can still go through the list via the brewing stand, but I haven't found a way to re-enable. I didn't try too hard either.

Did you try the 3 minute or the 8 minute version?

^ You can eventually get to request golden tools as you progress through the Thaumcraft line of quests. Melt them down, reshape into ingots, get your thaumometer. Though if you're stuck there I guess take heart in that the gold ore distribution is unchanged from unmodded? :v:

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 15, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Dude, there's a lot of reward in exploring. Don't sweat the blight sickness, keep distance with tainticles and walk away from all the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Infusion, ironically. =p