Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

25 year old uni student, no shame in admitting I wanna gently caress about in Minecraft since not touching it for about 6 and 1/2 years. Got a bunch of my mates onboard and we're just gonna mess about and have a laugh with it. Only problem is, we're not wanting to play vanilla, since we've pretty much all experienced it. We were thinking of getting Tekkit.

But that has made me realise Tekkit is only compatible with an older version of Minecraft. Won't I be missing out on a bunch of content if I go back to version 1.7.10? Which is from 2013/2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Cheers for clearing it up. I was pretty into the Exploration update, the thought of leading a train of llamas is pretty chill. Would be great for moving bases too.

I originally wanted to settle on Tekkit, cause it's what 2 of my mates (there'll be a group of 5 of us) are most comfortable with. But it seems so janky to setup and looks dead. Even the community for it is really glacial. Whereas FTB Revelations seems to have a much more active community.

I just have no idea how to go about even settling on a modpack. I've honestly barely played Minecraft, other than binging on Survival but just focusing on base-building. I've barely gone to that underground Hell place, I haven't fought the dragon, or done much else. I've only ever gotten diamonds two times. So trying to sit and pick a modpack is overwhelming cause they add so much stuff that is hard to get a rundown on. Only reason we're going for a modpack is because a few of the guys in the group find Vanilla boring.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 24, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

That seems like a great modpack, but I definitely don't think my mates would bite. I'm not even sure if we'll seriously get into it, we're mainly doing it just to have something to gently caress around on and have a good time with. Skyblock modpacks seem pretty hardcore and slow paced. I think a bunch of us ultimately just wanna build houses and have a somewhat Vanilla-esque experience. I mainly want a modpack that has a tonne of QOL features and isn't too balls-deep on the content, cause I have no idea how I'd even wrap my head around so many new systems, and the thought of sifting through a wiki isn't appealing. A QOL mod that I absolutely love is Treecapitator, which basically lets you chop one block of wood and the entire tree above that block is instantly destroyed (and drops onto the ground). It's also scaled so the bigger the tree, the longer it takes to chop one block, which makes it somewhat balanced. I just hate when there's a tonne of half-chopped trees all over the landscape, or floating leaves.

I've heard other people talk about these quest books that lead you deeper into the content, I like the sound of that. Does FTB Revelations have a quest book?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I feel bad cause I'm playing FTB Revelations with some friends, and I've lost all motivation to continue playing. It just seems like such a slog, and things are a pain in the rear end to craft just for the sake of being a pain in the rear end.

It also doesn't help that ingame documentation is absolutely garbage, and some things are just impossible to figure out unless you wiki them, and even then there's a 50% chance the wiki page will just be blank.

The game is more of a grind rather than being enjoyable, but I'm forcing myself to play it because if I flake, I'll be leaving my mates a man down and taking from their enjoyment.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm looking to get back into Minecraft with my cousin. I've played modpacks before with friends, but it was very overwhelming and not fun at all. We played one where you could make machines and rockets and it was a huge slog trying to wrap your head around all the different mechanics, and needing to take 30 different steps to make one item was eh. I ended up quitting and left my friends to it as I wasn't enjoying it. Do you lot have mods you'd recommend for people not wanting to deal with an absolute bombardment of new mechanics to wrap your head around? A reshader or whatever they're called too to make the game look pretty.

I was considering Feed The Beast but I'll be honest and say I've got no idea what it adds or what it does, just that it looks pretty.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Black Pants posted:

Feed The Beast is a modpack dev team that have made many FTB packs.

But, uh, I'm not sure. There's some pretty lightly-modded options in the Private Game Servers forum.

Where do I go to see available mods and their descriptions / what they add? Is there a website everyone recommends.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just deleted a block from my Smeltery by mistake and lost a tonne of Aluminium Brass and Bronze. Gutted. I don't care about the iron and copper I lost, they're easy to mine. But tin and aluminium are hard to come by, even when I'm mining on their level.

I ended task and hoped autosave would revert me back but I spawn in after the mishap. Oops.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

It was the controller, sadly. I was trying to make a searing furnace. Totally botched it. In the past, I'd removed blocks and it had spawned the molten ores back in so I mistakenly assumed it was saved onto the controller and was just going to exploit that to move the entire setup.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I made 14 mining multitools thinking each one became a portal piece to the mining dimension. Oh boy did I get egg on my face the first portal brick I made and saw the durability meter of one of the mining multitools go down. Made me realise I'd wasted a tonne of iron and a bunch of time farming mats for an extra 13 mining tools I didn't even need.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm playing FTB Revelations and have just dug out a huge basement to put a bunch of machinery in it. I'm thinking a power source, crusher (to double ores because I'm tired of using the smeltery). Any advice on what I should start with, and which mod to focus on? Immersive Engineering? I don't even know what benefit these machines will give me, but if you're all able to point me in the right direction, I can get started on making them all and enjoying the easy life. I'd like having an ore storage > crusher > smelter > ingot storage system, as well as one of those storage computers I can just dump everything in, I love the search function it has.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

McFrugal posted:

IMO the healing axe in GTNH is a trap. You should be making new foods constantly to eat them for more max hearts. If you're constantly satiated you can't eat.
I guess if you've eaten as much as you feasibly can it's nice.

I quickly came to this realization when I made Pig Armor, that you automatically snack on to keep fully fed. It meant I could never eat very good meals that'd fully max out my health. I quickly changed out for better stuff. Good for armour to wear around the base when you're not in danger though, means you don't have to waste food for non-important stuff.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

that's the mistake I made, downloaded the most recent optifine version and then realized I need to match it up with whatever version of minecraft the modpack is using. then it worked. on the download page, there's a way to see all versions of it so you can grab the right one. you also need to load the game up normally before you can chuck optifine in the mod folder, I think.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I delete dynamic trees, will I break my game / delete entire forests or? I really don't like it. trees look spindly and awful and even the big ones only drop 6 logs max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How can I run wiring from outside my house to inside it without having an ugly hole in the wall? I can't place a relay outside and inside as wires don't pass through blocks, so I'm at a loss. I tried using conduits but they're tiny and also leave a huge gap.