Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

quote:

Rocko Bonaparte 659
I regret nothing!

I guess since we're early in the new thread, I should plug Baby's First Space Race. The pack aims to lead a novice through the basics of technology mods using a quest book. The resources have been comically overinflated. An expert player should be able to go from nothing to the moon in an evening if they rush it. I've discovered there are a lot of people out there that just hate a lot of the resource grind and are playing it for shits even though they already know about everything. I'm honored and terrified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

UglyDucklett posted:

Wait is this pretty much a more modern Big Dig? If so thanks so much for the recommendation! I loving loved Big Dig and every other way of playing Minecraft feels like a slog in comparison.
I have no idea, honestly. Somebody else that played it made the comparison when it came to oregen, but I couldn't tell you about anything else.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Light Gun Man posted:

Natura could definitely do with a "usefulness" overhaul at this point. Like all those nether trees are neat, but they're only useful for looks and bows, so who really cares? The tree/stick stuff either needs a point or total oredict support. The oreberries are sorta useful if you don't have magic crops available and aren't to a MFR laser yet, I guess. Glowshrooms could definitely be more useful somehow, like doing player vs mob passthrough effects, or maybe smelting into potions, or something. And actually being farmable with MFR and stuff if they aren't yet.

I would be happy if somebody does post some alternatives because I would be content with expanded alternatives to Natura and Tinkers Construct's supplemental blocks. I guess I'll just comment in a list:

• Trees: I suspect they were originally added to get exotic wood colors. They have indeed been rendered less useful by mods like OpenBlocks that let you paint blocks. I like the trees in The Nether, but we already established that's an incomplete dimension at best. I do like how they provide some alternate buffs, but players are usually past needing them by the time they make a nether run. The sticks are indeed dumb.
  • Berry bushes: I very much like these because they can be set up under ground without a water source and are a good way to stretch food when taking an early-game Overworld trip. I always dismantle a berry bush if I find one in my initial startup. It would be better to have more, but smaller, bushes of different types in order to make the fruit salads. The normal berry hunger replenishment is kind of crap, but having three of a kind (IIRC) works really well.
  • Clouds: I do think Overworld clouds are pretty lousy. They were a liability with running rockets because they'll actually stop rockets. I never thought being able to control a rocket with the movement keys would mean anything. The being sad, the clouds in the Nether have a side purpose of providing temporary bridges. Well, they could, but I found the mechanic that lets you sink into them without falling out the bottom is incomplete. I only ever tried it in cheat mode.
  • Nether furnace. They are twice as efficient as cobblestone furnaces, and I usually am in a position where I could still use furnaces by the time I hit the Nether.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

NiftyBottle posted:

Honestly I like natura just because it adds a bit of variety to the overworld without actually changing biomes. It just makes it nicer walking around. I don't really use the stuff for anything though. And gently caress those stupid clouds. I think there's a config option to disable them, at least.

Yeap it can be disabled in the configuration. I shut that straight off after I saw a rocket get caught in clouds in Baby's First Space Race. I did not want somebody getting ready to complete the pack's defining mission, and then get stuck in a cloud pocket. At most, they were a novelty in Agrarian Skies when a quest called for them, and I hadn't realized those clouds ever even existed until then.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

StealthArcher posted:

code:
- COFH Oregen Changes:
	- Overall small ore clump density reduced, you'll see about 25% reduction in overall ore quantity as a general concentration.
	- Giant veins of biome-specific ores added to every biome in the game.
	- Rare geode caches of other stuff added.
	- More surprises akin to the old single Ludicrite spawn.
	- Dungeons of hellish poo poo thrown in as rare little tricks of Sigma leaking over.
I don't play the pack, but I do read up on people playing with the CoFH oregen. Might I suggest rare surface deposits in biomes matching the veins assigned to them? Players would get an impression of what ores are assigned where without having to understand the oregen files.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
...I better add "check for curse words in the quest book" to my todo.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ciaphas posted:

I just figured that out, and the numbers are kind of hosed up, seemingly. I put together a syngas producer with one heating chamber and five mixing chambers, per the docs, and a whole stack of coal produced 3 buckets of syngas. A gas turbine apparently gets 1000 RF per mb of syngas, so about 3 million RF.

Steam Dynamo, on the other hand, produces 80rf/t, and coal burns for 1600 ticks. 80 * 1600 * 64 =~ 8.2 million RF.

What the gently caress, this Advanced Generators mod is dumb. Why did I waste so much iron on this. :mad:

Can you bump up the RF generation rates in a config file? I know some packs jack up the RF generation in Big Reactors, for example.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was getting burned by something like that before. I think in my case, a mod was trying to implement a reduced version of the Buildcraft API as a stub for itself, and other mods noticed it and tried to hook up to it. In my head, I was thinking it was MFR. Whatever the case, it was happening while I trying to get firehose builds of all the CoFH stuff running together with a bunch of older mods. So getting the latest isn't always the answer--especially if you have a lot of older stuff you're trying to couple to it that doesn't have its own updates.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hey Rocko, do you have a mod list for Baby's First Space Race?
Technically, no. I have an old spreadsheet from when I was deciding what to add. Is that something special I have to put on Technic?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Lizard Wizard posted:

It would be good, yes. I want to suggest it to a friend but cannot do so in confidence without knowing what's inside.
It did not really occur to me it was a big problem until now. However, I hope your confidence is not in the pack having something evil in it. It sounds like if the pack author can upload whatever, I assume they can lie.

It will take me some time to get links to everything, but I assume just getting the updated list will be great progress. I was hoping my pull request for a few CoFH generator changes would go into a build, but after a month, I should probably stop waiting and just release the fixes for current issues. Among them, I will nix the pigmen aggro since I see here people generally do not tempt The Nether, so I am supposing it needs some incentive.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
OK... how do I even add a mod list on the Technic site? I figured somewhere in the modpack editing tabs that I'd find it. I don't see anything.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
. . . do I have to get some real web hosting with a LAMP stack in order to have a mod list?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

m2pt5 posted:

no, just type it out into the pack description.

Oh well, if that's cool with people, then let it be. I started a mod updating spree last night, which was also a chance to recover the project URLs and enter version strings into a table. Given there's something like 100/101 mods, and I only nailed 33, there's a still two-thirds to go.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ghostlight posted:

So I got back into Minecraft, breezed through Baby's First Space Race (well, until it broke),

How did it break?

Edit: No really. Since I'm updating all the mods and handling the todo, now is a good time to throw on issues.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 20, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

BJPaskoff posted:

Is OMPi supposed to take 15 minutes to load since the update? I thought it'd be a one-time thing after I updated it, but this is the second time and it's taking forever. God help me if this crashes.

I don't think I ever saw that with the few iterations of it I have been trying since the update. The log would probably be useful. Is it clear that it's actually doing new things, or does it look like it's stuck on something? In the former, it should be at least somewhat clear that somewhere in the logs, messages became infrequent, and one could look at what happened before that to infer what happened. If it's hanging somewhere, the last few statements in the log probably has the scene of the crime.

I've been toying with OMPi because I wasn't really in the mood to start a public BFSR server, and I wanted to try some of the extended mods to see if I should augment my pack. So I've been limping through some of this too.

McFrugal posted:

The only time the smeltery has ever gotten "stuck" melting items for me is when TPS was below 20. The progress bar is clientside, but the progress is server-side. So if TPS is below 20, the progress bar desynchs. This is obviously more pronounced with items that take longer to melt, like blocks.

I can confirm this when we were playing at the work team building event. I had thought the smeltery was broken, but another team apparently got some ore through. In our case, the ore had reached 100% according to the client, but that information somehow wasn't getting across the network, so it would never turn into molten metal.

Vib Rib posted:

Stone tool heads, for instance, take 1 degree of heat more than a smeltery can reach, so it just sits in there at "almost done" status and eats up lava, never turning into liquid seared stone.
[...]
On the other hand, actual compressed cobblestone from Extra Utilities smelts just fine, I think up to double, so you can smelt like 81x as fast. gently caress the normal grout method at that point.
What's this "1 degree" stuff? Is there really smeltery temperature?

I really should start smelting cobblestone. I like making 7x7 smelteries, and it's a pain to get them started.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ghostlight posted:

I made the rocket but the quest book wouldn't recognise it even with manual detect and me putting it down and picking it back up. At that point I figured I'd all but gone to the moon and had a good catch-up on the automation side of things which is what I wanted, so I decided I was done.
Did you build it with a built-in chest or anything? I never had problems with a base tier-1 rocket, but I suspect one with the extra chest in it could have different data attached. I can check my detection rules and make it looser because of that, but I would love to be able to exactly reproduce it tonight and see that it's something I can fix.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

StealthArcher posted:

So, I watched this be written.

You make that your server currency, gate stuff behind it, and then act surprised when somebody writes about dongs. :butt:

How are you supposed to get magic seeds on your server anyways?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If anybody was curious, I finished all the mod updates for Baby's First Space Race yesterday. I'm not checking all the config options and reproducing the issues that had come up in the past month or so. I took care of a few of them awhile ago, so this won't be too big of a deal. I will try to manually complete some of the quests, but it does take me some time to do a complete playthrough. I have started to scare myself with how I can smash through some stuff though.

An example of something that worries me is that when I started with ATG for terrain, I got a ton of trees. I saw this once before when I was adjusting ATG default parameters. I did update that mod, so how it uses its options might have changed. I think I saw a bunch of stuff that happened in Galacticraft so I have to see if all those quests still even work.

I also will want to make sure I track down all the stuff CB's deploader is downloading and just include it by default. That loader isn't very proxy-friendly, and I prefer people get a working pack by default when they download it.

I unfortunately had to update to the latest forge too, so I'm fearing people will have problems with the 20-minute Mojang like I see here with omp-i. The problem is I expect my pack's users to be just starting out, and more accustomed to just staring at that screen when base Minecraft is loading up. So I fear I'll get swamped with it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Steelion posted:

e: disabling the loading splash fixed it!
How did you do this? I suspect I should probably do this for the BFSR release.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

30.5 Days posted:

And then multiply all this poo poo by the fact that I'm looking at it in the form of lovely decompiled code because these assholes refuse to open their source to anyone

HOLY
poo poo

I loving HATE

HQM

I had second thoughts about HQM after I have pretty much had invested all this time into making a quest book. I looked up the project site to see what it would take to turn the quest book format into something like JSON so I could edit all the text externally. The in-game editor is fine enough for adding things, but it's quite tedious to make changes. It is also tedious to review everything and make sure I was using "there" instead of "their" like I seem to be doing now. Then I saw it was closed source, and they were rejecting suggestions that I would have been down with. With what you're saying, now I just assume they just serialize some crap to disk and aren't putting much thought into the data format at all.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

30.5 Days posted:

Haha you would be WRONG, my friend! No one can accuse HQM's data format of being UNDER-engineered. No, HQM's format is binary, but as I learned while chasing this issue, it is extensively bit-packed.

This means that a Boolean (true/false) value doesn't occupy 8 bits as it does in memory, it occupies 1 bit. And it doesn't add padding to get realigned when it hits an 8bit value like old timey sub-byte data did, SO YOU CAN'T EVEN READ THE TEXT IN THE FILE WITH A HEX EDITOR BECAUSE NINETY PERCENT OF IT IS NOT BYTE ALIGNED.
Ahhhh hahahaha.

Hardcore Questing Mode: Coming to a demoscene near you!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

30.5 Days posted:

I don't think it's anything so calculated, I think they're just afraid to expose a job badly done to other developers out of embarrassment. What I wish I could explain is that that exposure and the advice and collaboration that follows is how you get better and your defensiveness is why you're loving up to begin with.

I kind of reminds me of when I was running a telnet BBS and was in to that scene a little. People were trying to get door game authors to release source to their stuff so they could get updated for TCP. They all were terrified because it was some poo poo code they wrote as teenager.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Somebody earlier in the thread suggested I mention oil fabricators in BFSR to fuel the rocket. I guess they didn't manage to run into any of the oil laying around. I never heard of it before, but I was about to punch it in to the quest book. I see it online, but it doesn't come up in NEI nor in the MFR configuration. Was it recently removed?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody gone crazy with Galacticraft in the past two months and tried the latest releases? I'm wondering if I need to pay attention to anything while updating BFSR. Right now, I am just going to make sure all the detection logic still works.

Also, since I suspect BFSR is a gateway drug to omp-i, I'll probably throw an ender quarry quest in there. I was dabbling on that in the initial releases, but I took it out because of the reliance on the enchanted books. It never occurred to me you could just spend all your underutilized XP on crap enchants to make them, and I could always just give some of the resources in intermediate steps.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Did I read it right that they have their own chunk loader?

The only problem I had with them was a big between pocket dimensions and compact machines. If I had a compact machine inside a pocket dimension, upon return from the machine, I would fall through the floor of the pocket dimension and die, losing all my stuff.

It seemed like a fun way to play a semi-nomadic game right up until that point.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
When I saw this in the Technic feed, I learned everything I needed to know about modpacks:

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/nsp-fairytail.654111

quote:

Fairy Tail is a hit anime series still going on. It is an anime that foucses on magic, wizards, dragons, and all that good stuff. This modpack was desinged to put that all into Minecraft. I am a HUGE anime fan and I love doing things like this. This was a little side-project I decided to piece together. I am well aware of all the other Anime packs out there however, every modpack author adds their own flair into something.

It has more likes than Baby's First Space Race! :argh::arghfist:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sage Grimm posted:

You know what you have to do. Integrate Attack on Titan and a plotline of launching into space before the titans come and eat you! Sprinkle in references to the anime and the likes will come rolling in.

All I know about Attack On Titan is some preview where somebody was screaming while riding a crotch rocket. Is there a crotch rocket mod?

Maybe we can take the Monster Girls mod and make a date sim mod pack.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

That's not a crotch rocket. That's just awesome. Please tell me that thing is not a reference to some crazy anime.

Edit: OK I see dual butt rockets, which is kind of funny.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 26, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Alkydere posted:

Alright, I won't tell you. :v:

:ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

Its "Attack on Titan" mod

They are like harpoon guns that they use to fly around the place killing giants in the anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcheS787jcI

Welp might as well pack it in. No nice things for me.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Truga posted:

This seems an awfully low number to me.
They may be using a different pack with a different power output multiplier. Also, I never really hit the books on Big Reactors, but my intuition is that the same methods for passive cooling are not what one would want for active cooling. So I am not so sure about that resonant ender when actively cooling.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Weembles posted:

Using passive coolant in an actively cooled reactor should give you a huge boost to steam production, if the Big Reactor Simulator website is correct.

Well, I stand corrected. I guess my intuition had it backwards. I would assume passive cooling would sink heat that could be used for steam.

Truga posted:

e: Also, I implemented a simple PID controller for turbines with OpenComputers. It regulates turbine speed via control rod insertion, rather than limiting steam intake. I tried to do it with energy stored (so as to not waste power), but the 1 million RF buffer turbine has is too low and response time for the turbine is like 30 seconds, so it just keeps alternating between 0 and 100%.
I suspect your proportional gain is too large if your PID is oscillating. Edit: Also, don't bank too much on a PID working too well because your load is going to change. So your model is always changing. I'd recommend doing something fuzzier. Alternately, you can get lolmer's EZ-Nuke and be done with it. I will concede it's still fun to tinker with this stuff, but he had taken the extra steps of making cool display support.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 27, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

On the server i am playing on (Crackpack from AT Launcher) I was just kicked out of the base i was sharing with someone else,

I logged on to find i had no perms in the claim and a sign placed down saying "I dont want thaum in my base, all your thaum stuff is outside to the right in a chest, this is why i don't base with anyone, bye"

So my ender quarry, other machines, ores and stuff and all the stuff i brought to the base is now his (including all the mob spawners and reactor stuff.)
and I have had to start again.

Why are so many people scared of Thaum?

I mean i have since heard that his base was covered in Flux and taint as he broke the Energised Nodes spilling flux everywhere.

As for ars, you have an obelisk next to the altar, then use the magicians staff (or whatever its called) to link the obelisk to the altar, then flip the switch when you need it for the recipe.

Stuff like that reminds me it's still a game for children. They couldn't even try to have one of those "constructive confrontations" about it. What's the admin's take on that?

My rule of thumb is I don't base with somebody I couldn't punch in the face, or get punched in the face by, in real life. Paradoxically, this has lead to much more shenanigans because I usually have a better social contract with them anyways.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Goncyn posted:

I tried to poke around in Baby's First Space Race and OMP-i for relevant configs because I heard they tried to reduce tedium, but I can't find anything relevant among all the configs (nothing in the AppliedEnergistcs2 folder and no minetweaker recipes I can find). Can anyone point out what I'm missing about how these modpacks configure AE2?
BFSR does not do anything sustained playing to really augment it. It just mentions in the quest book that some of it is bullshit, and then gives you all the presses and some of the intermediate gunk. My issue was that there is not a universal simplification for the presses and processors. I had to assume people would play a pack afterwards that did not have everything.

Having played more, I have had less trouble with AE2, so long as the quartz generation rates are upped. Then it is easy to make a compass, and meteor hunting is okay if you consider chunk boundaries. Somebody in the thread--or last one--brought it up. When the compass goes wild, check if any other chunks go too. Then you know the meteor straddles boundaries. Otherwise you know digging down the center will find it.

You also need AE2Stuff for the dedicated growth accelerator machine.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

30.5 Days posted:

Getting paid to make mods is the majority of my job these days. I haven't done 1.8 yet though. I guess the existing mods that do the things you're trying to do haven't been updated yet?

Is that why you're reverse-engineering HQM to make these fixes? I could never imagine getting that far into it unless somebody was stroking a pile of money under my nose.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody see any reason to actually post an update to Baby's First Space Race? I've been mostly sitting on the big, red button. I just felt I should make sure most of the quests still work. Some of my concerns stem from what I've seen in omp-i since it also took the latest of everything. The Forge loading bug particularly worried me since I'm most likely to have users that will stare at the Mojang loading screen since they're probably coming from vanilla Minecraft.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Dunno-Lars posted:

I'm waiting for the update... So press the button please!

I enjoy the huge amount of resources and how "easy" things are. Feels more relaxed.

Button pushed. I have to say that you might end up by the royal Beta Tester. I tried out most things, but there are still some risk of loose ends screwing up. Right now, I'm trying to verify the deployment. Technic ignored it, despite restarting the launcher.

Edit: Specifically, you should see a version 1.4.0.0. If you are seeing 1.3.0.1, that's now stale. I'm not seeing it in the launcher yet, so I'll just give it a little time.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well guys, looks like BFSR finally refreshed in Technic, so after an evening of board games and fun, I should at least see that everything was a-ok.

Demiurge4 posted:

Did something in baby's first space race break? My cousin is getting a forge error

I made him run the reinstall command on the technic launcher and also installed it myself and I get the same error.

Well, poo poo.

I had done a test with all the modifications on my local filesystem, but I could not do a final test last night since Technic wasn't showing it right away. So I guess I'll be finally doing that now, and I'll see what it's mad about.

Update: Yeap looks like I neglected to include the latest Forge JAR in the bin folder. It was in the staging area but not in deployment. I would have caught it earlier if I could have gotten it to do a dry run. It was very peculiar that I couldn't. I am uploading the new one as 1.4.0.1.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 14, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Just wanted to check in on Baby's First Space Race. I have not touched it since I made the hotfix for the last release ~a week ago. Somebody wanted a modlist, so I posted a PDF of in it with the modpack now. Since I can't set up Solder with the puny hosting I have, that's the best I can really do.

If I wanted more people to see it, what should I do? I'm assuming I should make a post on the main Minecraft Forums somewhere. I'm probably going to open a huge can of works with it though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think it's AE2 stuff that has a single-block crystal grower. I gave up trying to come up with crazy schemes for growing them in pools of water after that. The recipe requires the actual accelerators and isn't necessarily cheaper to build. However, I imagine it's less of a burden on the server due to not having entities loose in the world.