Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Carados posted:

Today I learned breaking a grave in creative mode deletes everything in it!

In other news, does anyone have a suggestion for a good HQM map where I won't ragequit when I do that?

Yeah... creative mode just deletes blocks when you "break" them, most of the time. Just cheat all your stuff back imo.

Pathfinder is the only HQM modpack I know of where your inventory isn't important. It's a Peaceful modpack to boot. The quests are kindof... shallow, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

That's also when his mod was dropped from any official ftb mod packs and a lot of popular streamers stopped using his mod. Along with him making it more and more tedious.

It's in FTB Resurrection. I played it. It's super pointless now, very few of the machines are worth building and those that are take ages and ages to get to.

Oh, you guys want more FTB/Curse drama? Apparently any of the "listed" modpacks on FTB are no longer supported for any version that isn't on Curse. Ask for help on the forum about an old version and you're likely just going to be told to download the Curse client.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 7, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Shukaro posted:

Here's a gif

edit: bonus gif

Well I can see that first one has a new block of some kind. Is that a new type of sticky piston in the second one? One that only sticks one way every time it's activated? I mean, a normal sticky piston would pull the redstone block back on the first cycle, wouldn't it?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Alright how about some adventure-y modpack suggestions?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

It was more for like shift+ mouse movement over a bunch of items in a chest / crafting table to move them into your inventory. I'm probably not describing this well.

That's Invtweaks, isn't it?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I thought coal was 32k RF each in a steam dynamo? Minus the initial steam buildup, anyway. That would be 2.048 million RF from a stack. Less if it's charcoal, as those are 24k RF each.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Krakatoah posted:

I've been playing on the Blightfall mod pack and I've been meaning to actually get around to making some kind of sorting system for what's going to be my first proper main base but I'm a bit out of the loop with most of the mods and I'm a bit intimidated by a good portion of them, is there any tidbits I could make use of until I better know what I am doing?

In Blightfall I believe your options for inventory management are Barrels, whitelisted itemducts, Thaumcraft sorting golems, and Applied Energistics. The latter is a bit tricky since I think the only way to generate power is with a Big Reactor. You can always just request energy cell refills, of course...

I didn't feel a pressing need for a sorting system since I keep my chests tidy and labeled on my own.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The only time the smeltery has ever gotten "stuck" melting items for me is when TPS was below 20. The progress bar is clientside, but the progress is server-side. So if TPS is below 20, the progress bar desynchs. This is obviously more pronounced with items that take longer to melt, like blocks.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Synnr posted:

So I like various progression packs because they either force me to use stuff I haven't or give me a reason to learn junk. But I'm having some confusion which stems mostly from useless/unfinished wikis and videos made by people who all sound like they have FAS and don't show anything helpful in their tutorial videos. This is for the regrowth pack.

How the hell do you use the mariculture hatchery? I made a couple and none of them have the interface all these videos have and the book implies they are the same as the incubator things (I think). They accept my test eggs while in land or in water and burn up eggs but nothing happens. I don't mind tedious cross-breeding (I enjoy it sometimes!) but the dumb thing doesnt seem to even work. Lot of effort making tanks everywhere that are acceptable in this weird wasteland biome.

How exactly do you keep the air pump going? Beyond one instance where I flew around in creative just to see if whacking it by hand would capture natural gas, I haven't gotten the thing to actually seem to hold air to pump to me when I'm down in the water trying to harvest junk. I plopped some engines down in creative to see if they would do something but they don't seem. Are you really supposed to hold r-click on it until it gets somewhere and just let it unwind itself?

It was dumb enough that I had to figure out on my own that these nether bees need netherwart, but you have to craft the weird 3x3 bag thing to get any that aren't on crops because THOSE don't work for bees. For some reason.

Air pumps have to be on a flat surface. No blocks next to them except empty blocks or levers or a tank. Depending on the version of mariculture you may need to give it a redstone signal before pumping gas. For air supply it just sucks to hand-crank it. Powering it should work in theory but like you I couldn't get engines to work. Maybe with conductive pipes? Anyway just bypass the issue altogether by making a ring of chordata and use that with your diving helmet.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
That sounds like some truly, truly awful code. I've done enough programming to know the jist of what's going on with it. Like 10 completely backwards things are happening.

I'm betting ALL of the code is like that. It would sure explain the severe lag from looking at the questbook sometimes, and why it will freeze you or lose all your progress when converting old HQM data to an updated questbook.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 22, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Where did he even GET MoreTorches? The only 1.7.10 version I can find is only available on russian sites. Wouldn't that throw up some red flags?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

I've had bad experiences with drawers crashing, lagging, and dropping FPS, and my computer has no problem OMP packs. Maybe it's just me and my talent for breaking things.

The Regrowth modpack has had some users reporting that the drawer controller has issues.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Jagged Jim posted:

I've been playing OMP a bit and I was wondering how when you cut down a tree you got the leaves to decompose so quickly. I assume it's a config option somewhere but I haven't been able to locate it.

It's a mod. Fast Leaf Decay.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hagop posted:

Gregtech fucks with ore gen now. So that stuff generates in huge 3x3 chunk 50 z-level veins. So with any decent automated mining setup(which GT does not have) getting the raw material for things is not even all that hard. Now producing that power and and machinery to process that raw material in a reasonable time frame, that's hard.

That's GT5. GT5 doesn't even HAVE the fusion reactor or anything you need mass amounts of ore for. GT5 is pointless and dumb.

Basically in GT4 when you wanted to make a fusion reactor you would just set up huge quarries. That's it. No need to hunt endermen, since you can just get the emeralds required by quarry. Quarry the world, use mass amounts of resources to get fusion power, use fusion for ???

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bigperm posted:

There is an unofficial GT5 with:

http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=11488

It was made using decompiled code because Greg doesn't use any version control at all and literally doesn't have the code for GT5 anymore since he overwrote it for GT6.

Oh well hey that's pretty cool!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

30.5 Days posted:

A single method was so long, it broke Java.

Remember to use subroutines, kids.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

Azanor's been talking up Thaumcraft 5 features and it looks quite interesting.

- Vis will no longer reside in nodes, instead it will reside in chunks as aura.
- Aura has a potential and current value, chunks gain bonuses or penalties based on the biome. Jungles will have high potential but have high terra and aqua, deserts will have low potential but have high ignis.
- Vis will move from chunk to chunk based on the differential of its neighbors but only if the difference is large, it's possible to spend and use up all the vis in an entire world.
- Aura nodes don't contain vis anymore and simply refill a chunk as a generator.
- Flux is now both an aspect and a type of vi that drains into the aura. If there's too much flux in the aura it can start to generate taint, flux will also spread across other chunks.
- There will be many systems to try and control flux and taint.
- Wands are now charged passively from the aura instead of directly from a node.

So... TC2 again? I thought the chunk-based vis caused lag?

I'm not sure if I'm going to miss hungry nodes, or be glad they're gone. Or maybe they'll still be around, haha!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I'm guessing that every biome will have at least a little bit of each element.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

GotLag posted:

Worse than the Redpower author (eloraam?), who included the stupid goddamn ugly volcanoes in the core of the mod so you couldn't turn them off?

Eloram is really the MY VISION modder, not Azanor. Azanor listens to criticism and tweaks things really slowly. Warp used to be worse, research used to be worse. He just doesn't have the best idea of what fun is.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

wylker posted:

So episode 1 of what I hope will be an epic project has been uploaded. This will be a series recorded from the different perspectives of 4 teams, playing the blightfall modpack.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZlWyOL5M8A

Are you using 2.0.3a? I thought the HQM party issues were sorted out with NoTimeFix.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

On the server i am playing on (Crackpack from AT Launcher) I was just kicked out of the base i was sharing with someone else,

I logged on to find i had no perms in the claim and a sign placed down saying "I dont want thaum in my base, all your thaum stuff is outside to the right in a chest, this is why i don't base with anyone, bye"

So my ender quarry, other machines, ores and stuff and all the stuff i brought to the base is now his (including all the mob spawners and reactor stuff.)
and I have had to start again.

Why are so many people scared of Thaum?

I mean i have since heard that his base was covered in Flux and taint as he broke the Energised Nodes spilling flux everywhere.

As for ars, you have an obelisk next to the altar, then use the magicians staff (or whatever its called) to link the obelisk to the altar, then flip the switch when you need it for the recipe.

Sounds like he stole your poo poo and used Thaumcraft as an excuse.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

Speaking of dumb questions:

Soooo...how do you kill an RFTools dimension and make a new one? Every time I try and code a random one I just get the same one over and over again.

You have to use the number dimlets to get a new seed. Every dimension without the numbered dimlets just uses your world's seed.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

does anyone invested in botania know if the loonium flower is worth using? it sounds tempting to have a renewable source of dungeon loot, but i'm not sure if the mana to reward ratio is even remotely good.

I tried it out once, it produces a decent amount of loot per mana pool. I don't remember exactly how much, but if you have a good dungeon loot table it could be worth it. Just don't forget to pair it with some form of item retrieval, as it just drops all the loot on the ground.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, my point is more that modern EE is not the same as it used to be. ProjectE is a more faithful recreation, flaws and all.

Speaking of EE, does EE3 actually do anything yet?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Why remove the grinder at all?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Seems like the agskies 2 version on Platform could use an update. It's like ten versions behind.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

lolmer posted:

Last I heard, mechaet was refraining from updating AgSkies on Technic Platform as JadedCat doesn't care that any further updates wipe your HQM progress. :) If there's something you need from the updates (e.g. a bug fix), feel free to state so and that might increase interest in an update.

I thought that was just about the server? I mean, you can specify a specific version of the pack to play in that case.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I tried out the FTB Departed modpack because I felt like playing a freeform adventurey type modpack, and I was interested in all those dimensions Advent of Ascension has. AA turns out... not to be a terribly fun mod. The modpack starts you out with a book that warns you to avoid certain biomes and get a weapon and some armor asap, talking about how best to set up a base so that mobs don't spawn in it. I was like "ok well let's see how this goes". Mobs sure do spawn in daylight, but they aren't super OP or anything in the Forest biome I was in, and they at least look like they belong in minecraft... that was until I ran into a high-hp mob that kept dropping lit TNT. Which spawned during the day. Also there are these aggravatingly loud sound effects for things as common as getting bonus drops from mining blocks, or night falling, or getting random essence drops or something from breaking plants.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Krakatoah posted:

I hope this end-game taint-cleansing machine is called 'The Taint Stomper' and that it does indeed stomp taint, I guess we'll find out once the update comes around and hopefully this time I won't get so bloody lucky and get fusewood on my first sapling pack followed by bloodwood on my second sapling pack!

I'm guessing the blood magic questline doesn't kick in until you reach the eerie island's scouting location? It looks like the intended way in would either be through some thaumcraft stuff I do not know about or the time-old tradition of nerdpoling up.

Well you can just dig in through the wall once you have a good enough pick.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mr Scumbag posted:

So, due to more pointless loving changes in mods, I'm once again completely stumped as to how to perform what used to be a basic task.

The offending mod is Thermal expansion/Thermal Dynamics and itemducts.

Where you used to be able to just set a pipe junction to either input ot output (blue or red arrow) and install a pneumatic servo for sorting, now you can't change a junction at all, and have to build a "servo" and install it to pull items out of a source. That's all good and fun, I made one and have it on my quarry tesseract so the items will flow out of it. The problem is that need to set itemduct junctions to output with a blacklist/whitelist so it will keep the ore and junk everything else. I have no loving clue how to do this. There are no blue arrow servos that are craftable, and there's nothing I can do with junctions in the itemducts so I have no idea how to set up a filter.

I've said it before, but I'm continually amazed by the number of completely unnecessary changes to mods. It's like modders have some aversion to people becoming too proficient with their mods. Everytime I learn things well enough to get by without Youtube or a Wiki they change poo poo up for no reason.

The item you want to craft is called a "filter". There are also Retrievers that will pull items to them, like the opposite of Servos.

I don't really get why ducts lack auto-output functionality, myself, even with a redstone signal. It might have something to do with further streamlining the block, so that computation is easier?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 7, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Blind Duke posted:

When I played Blightfall the concept of the world being hostile was neat, but digging for ores in caves was a pain because the taint covered the ores. Something like a throw able potion that clears crusted taint in an area temporarily would be handy

just anything in the somewhat early game allowing me to climb up a little easier

There is exactly that. Silverleaf potions or whatever. You have to advance in thaumcraft a bit to unlock them.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Thyrork posted:

That's a stabilized thaumic black hole. Apparently the hungry nodes are just babies. :magical: I am so re-creating the dark energy reactor from Half Life 2, Episode 1.

Wh...what does it do?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Thyrork posted:

Its not energy related, instead its a very curious crafting mechanism!

For example, you can throw in void ingots, then right click the rift with a wand to get back void putty, a substance that repairs anything at the cost of itself.

Oh, and if you turn off the stabilizers, it becomes a short lived black hole. So theres that too. :unsmigghh:

LAME. You can do the repair-anything trick with all sorts of mods.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone have any newbie advice for Blightfall? I've got flint tools, no metals or clay, a swamp teleport and a deathly fear of the taint.

How far in do I have to get before I can start effing around with Thaumcraft and Blood Magic in the book, anyway?

Clay should be in the swamp. Do some branch mining under your dome to find metals. Don't be afraid to spend reputation on food and other supplies like ingots, seeds, and saplings. I wound up with way more reputation than I would ever need, in the end.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
My bolts leveled up and got Silk Touch randomly put on them.

Can we just stop using Iguana Tweaks forever? Can that happen? Please?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Okay, but you're dodging the point. You understand what I mean, right? Iguana Tweaks can wreck your planned upgrades for a tool by giving it something you don't want that shuts out the possibility of manually adding other stuff, like missing out on sharpness because you have bane of anthropods. Or putting something that actually makes combat harder for you, like fire aspect.
And it still doesn't address the fact you have to dig an obscene amount just to get up to basic modifiers you would have been able to start with.

In my experience, all the damage bonus upgrades work together. It's not exclusive like enchants. Fortune and Silk Touch are definitely exclusive, though.

The problem with silk touch on my bolts is that it REDUCES THEIR DAMAGE. By a lot. I also dislike getting fiery or whatever on my weapons because the fire damage tics make mobs invincible. Both of these upgrades will randomly show up on your stuff by default.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 10, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

I hate gregtech but with only 16 ^3 combinations and some people using more than one it needs to be expensive

Maybe the first thought was too expensive
the idea is that you have multiple blocks that are used, based on Star Trek Tech you should have a power source, pattern buffer, heisenberg compensator.

The recipies can be tweaked.

The idea is a frame with colors that you attach buttons to, activate in the correct order (button on the controller to reset)

so, activation would be Red Red Green, Portal opens, walk through Portal disables or push reset to turn off
or times out after a minute (to stop people using them to load chunks)

Portals are chunkloaders because that's how portals know where the destination is. Unless your design includes inputting what XYZ coordinates the receiving end is at, you're going to have to make them chunkload.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

The idea would be to store the portal locations and addresses (colors) in World. NBT data - the inter dimension stuff i will have to work on as well.
but then when activated, it will get the worldNBT data to get the destination and load the chunk then

How does it know where the destination is the first time? If you're building two portals, you won't be near one of them when you first activate them. It will HAVE TO chunkload both of them at some point, even if it's only once. In that case, upon first constructing a portal it would start chunkloading and would keep doing so until the destination portal is built, at which point they could link up. You'd have to put a timer on it to prevent people from just building a single portal to chunkload, which could be exploited if it's too long and annoying if it's too short.

Oh, also, if the destination isn't loaded, you risk falling through the world.

Generally this issue is solved by not giving a poo poo about people using portals to chunkload.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

Also advanced tech is gated in a huge way because making titanium is a right pain in the rear and even magical crops won't make it better. Nothing like having to melt down limestone in a mariculture smelter that requires fuel to maintain temperatures and doesn't do any sort of neat thing like Railcraft to use less fuel when maxed out to get magnesium and re-process impure titanium with it. It's sort of why I've lost interest (also powered Mariculture hatcheries are terrible).

You can melt the limestone in a smeltery and just pour it out directly into a vat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

TheresaJayne posted:

Easy when you place the master block it stores its coordinate in world.nbt data, then when you dial that address from another location it knows by looking in the World.NBT data

So, every portal is a different dialing destination, not linked up in pairs? You still have the problem of teleporting into an unloaded chunk and having it fail to load.