Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Lizard Wizard posted:

A detailed writeup/summary of mod drama might also be cool, for those of us who don't QUITE know all the details.

Specifics might be fun too, like when specific modders make fun or and/or torment each other through their mods. (I remember there was one that involved mDiyo, but I forget the details.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Oh, I remembered enough to find one of the old modding drama stories. (from 2-ish years ago) GregTech nerfs some vanilla recipes, like reducing a log to making only 2 planks instead of 4. mDiyo didn't like that, so he added a recipe to Tinker's Construct to override it and restore logs to 4 planks. Then Greg added code to crash Minecraft if GregTech detected Tinker's Construct installed (with an "ItsNotMyFaultException") and to force-equip a pumpkin named Pumpkin of Shame to any player named mDiyo or immibis, and change their display name to "Wearing Pumpkin of Shame".

quote:

[INFO] [STDERR] The GregTech-Addon has a Problem.
[INFO] [STDERR] IT'S NOT MY FAULT!!! Below is how to fix it.
[INFO] [STDERR] Another Mod (very likely Tinkers Contruct) decided to ACTIVELY break a fully configurable Feature of GregTech. Please report this to said Mod Author (very likely mDiyo) and not to me, as I can't do anything against that misbehavior. If the detection of breaking my Features, results in incompatibility between said Mod and GregTech, then I don't care.
[INFO] [STDERR] DO NOT COME TO ME WITH THIS CRASH. YOU CAUSED IT YOURSELF, AND I TOLD YOU HOW TO FIX IT!!!
[SEVERE] [Minecraft-Server] Encountered an unexpected exception GT_ItsNotMyFaultException

Nathilus posted:

Is there any way to stop the game or any of the launchers from putting gigs of garbage on the system drive? If there's some .cfg I can edit that will make .minecraft and all of its poo poo go to D:/ or wherever, that would be really awesome. With all the garbage that gets written to C:/ by games and other apps I'm going to have to eventually partition a drive with more than 100 gigs as the system partition but I'll be damned if I do it for loving minecraft.

You can point some launchers (at least Technic Launcher) to wherever you want your modpacks to be stored.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Technically, no. I have an old spreadsheet from when I was deciding what to add. Is that something special I have to put on Technic?

It's not required but a lot of people appreciate it.

It's also nice if you provide links to where the mods came from, and again, not required but appreciated.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

. . . do I have to get some real web hosting with a LAMP stack in order to have a mod list?

no, just type it out into the pack description.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

TheresaJayne posted:

Well Pixelmonmod 4.0.4 released at the weekend....

Is it compatible with NEI yet?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

How useful/interesting is Railcraft?

It's plenty interesting and useful, but the absolute bullshit it takes to craft rails pretty much negates a lot of it.

Last time I used Railcraft, I only used it for the big multiblock tanks, and there are other mods that do those now.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Or save extra copies of those mods and add them back in with every update.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

For a simple color-coded Ender Chest-style teleporter, why not just make it work like Colorful Portals does - if there are more than two of the same code, they get put into a "cycle" based on when they were activated, and when you use one you get sent to the next in the cycle. (1 > 2 > 3 > 1) There doesn't need to be a base station and it doesn't need to be ridiculously expensive.

Alternately, just use Colorful Portals, which has single-block teleporters in addition to the portals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

GotLag posted:

Is there a quick/easy way to change the biome of an area, with Biomes O'Plenty support?

Edit: to clarify, in singleplayer.

If you're okay with using creative to do it, look for a mod called "Biome Wands". It automatically picks up any biomes added by other mods and adds a separate wand in its creative team for each.