Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I was poking about on the ATlauncher page for RR3 servers to play on, and noticed that one of the servers has 56/255 players online right now, with others at 20+. How the loving hell? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wowie zowie trying to get everything installed just right to get onto one of those RR3 servers is not worth it. At least with Technic it's just install pack and go.

Maybe I'll wander back into Modderation or something in the morning--or maybe OMP-i, since I already achieved post-scarcity on Modderation :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What's the progression of mining heads under Iguana Tweaks? All I ever remember is that it starts with a flint head.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks all. Now I suppose the problem is finding some flint with my fists alone, since I guess wooden tools don't work under Iguana Tweaks.

Strange how you can never find gravel when you actually want to find it :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bigperm posted:

RFtools. Rf teleporters, dimension building, shields, block warding, mob spawners, environmental controller that can feed you with RF. It's awesome.

I'd dig this too. Also, direwolf videos are mentioning something called Immersive Engineering, but buggered if I can find anything about it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hah, good find. Guess your google is better than mine.

I'm missing a piece of the Iguana Tweaks puzzle. I've got some copper and my flint tools... but how, if I'm single player, can I bucket lava into the smeltery to make casts to make the copper head? I can't mine Iron yet. :confused:

(edit) Or for that matter, the gold for the casts themselves. :confused::confused:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 11, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

TheDead1 posted:

For the lava you need to use the clay bucket from iguana, and the cast I'm guessing you can mine aluminium which can be made into aluminium brass (3x copper, 1x aluminium I think) for creating casts.

Doh, I forgot about those. As it turned out my solution was to dig some more with the flint pickaxe until suddenly it could mine iron. :downs:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

I'm like 95% sure that only cobblestone is free, because smoothstone requires a source block or smelting in a furnace to create normally, and the consumed resources reflect that. It's a very minimal cost though, like 20 mB.

If I recall right, it's a bucket of water per smooth stone (and 1mb of lava because ?????????)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Anyone in here know anything about Advanced Generators? I can't work out for the life of me how to actually get it to produce power on its own without other mods. The Steam Turbine seems to need steam from BR (in which case why not make a BR turbine) and the gas turbine needs gases from other mods too, near as I can tell. :confused:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

I haven't messed with it much, but if I recall the only way to fuel it without other mods is the rather fiddly Syngas Producer, which is basically a complicated middleman generator that eats coal and outputs steam and "syngas", which is the mod's liquid fuel.

I just figured that out, and the numbers are kind of hosed up, seemingly. I put together a syngas producer with one heating chamber and five mixing chambers, per the docs, and a whole stack of coal produced 3 buckets of syngas. A gas turbine apparently gets 1000 RF per mb of syngas, so about 3 million RF.

Steam Dynamo, on the other hand, produces 80rf/t, and coal burns for 1600 ticks. 80 * 1600 * 64 =~ 8.2 million RF.

What the gently caress, this Advanced Generators mod is dumb. Why did I waste so much iron on this. :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Can you bump up the RF generation rates in a config file? I know some packs jack up the RF generation in Big Reactors, for example.

Probably, but it's StealthArcher's OMP-i server. I'd ask him if I actually gave a poo poo at this point, but I'm too annoyed now. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

KingLemming posted:

I don't understand your math on that. Coal doesn't have a set burn time, it has a set RF value. And it's way less than 80 * 1600. Offhand, I get 3.072 million RF total from a stack of coal.

If TE steam dynamos do something different under the hood than my math, then my bad. I just know that coal burns for 1600 ticks in a furnace, so figured 80 RF/t from a stock dynamo * 1600 ticks/coal * 64 coal. :shrug:

If that's the case maybe I'll try advanced generators again next weekend. Boy loving hell is that mod Iron-expensive, though, my god. At least Big Reactor's yellorite fetish is confined to something useless for anything else in the game.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 19, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Guess I'll try AG again this weekend then. :)

That said no one's done a (recent) spotlight or anything on it, and the documentation is a bit hard to parse through. It's hard to tell if, frankly, it'd be worth the bother to even mess with rather than just fiddle with my BR more, or make it active and build a turbine.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

Less complaining about ponies more posting cool machines

I've been experimenting with Technomancy since StealthArcher added it to the latest OMP-i, and it's got some pretty neat stuff in it. After a few tests I discovered the Essentia Dynamo produces 96,000 RF per Ignis essentia, which is more than enough to power a galvanized bellows (RF consuming device that fuels alchemical furnaces). Here I've got a glacial precipitator pumping infinite snowballs into the furnace which is melted down into Gelum essentia, centrifuged down into Perditio and Ignis. This is basically a magic reactor that runs on water. The Everfull Urn provides infinite water, so it's upkeepless forever. It looks super cool too! Thaumcraft is spergy but man its blocks do have style.

:stare: That thing is cool as poo poo and kind of makes me want to do Thaumcraft again.

If it weren't for the damned research thing that is (or dealing with warp for not dealing with research) :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

StealthArcher posted:

Because Azanor's THATS MY FETISH ~vision~ means you lose all Eldritch research for turning his darling babby warp off.

That, and I don't play Minecraft offline very often if at all. I probably just should, since it's not like I ever do much with anyone else on e.g. Modderation or OMPi except bum charged certus off of them. :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I like Botania too but early game mana generation is so godawful slow, even arrays of hydroangeas just don't do the job fast enough for me. (I'm told the cake flowers are great, but those are post alfheim :()

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Darn, now I want to play Blightfall having never tried it before, but I want to wait for the big release since it'd probably require (or "require") restarting. Bluuuh.

(Thaumcraft in Blightfall requires the stupid research game, right? I'd frankly rather use the Stealth Archer idea and give myself hundreds of every aspect in research and go at my own pace.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

Yesssss EnderIO wins again!

If the machines weren't so slow even with Octadics I'd mostly not bother with Thermal Expansion anymore, personally. Ender IOwns

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

How freeform is Blightfall? I realize it's the same map with each world but is the quest lineup and resource availability freeform enough to, eventually, reach post-scarcity and do Stupid Things typical of modded Minecraft?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there a way to give myself creative powers (/tc, /gamemode, /gamerule, etc) in Blightfall? Creating a new world as creative didn't seem to do it.

If I can't /tc aspect ciaphas01 all 999 right at the start I just can't be bothered with Blightfall at all :(

(edit) Nevermind, found the magical incantation in the form of NBTExplorer. Whatever that is. :shrug:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 9, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Anyone have any newbie advice for Blightfall? I've got flint tools, no metals or clay, a swamp teleport and a deathly fear of the taint.

How far in do I have to get before I can start effing around with Thaumcraft and Blood Magic in the book, anyway?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wouldn't have thought of digging straight down, thanks. I've been terminally afraid of doing so since my very first Minecraft adventure ended, well, terminally. In a pool of lava. :v:

Do the anti-taint effects of pure nodes like in silverwood trees, and Ethereal Blooms, extend through the entire Y-axis, or only in a radius around them?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

New question, my flint pick can't mine the not CopperOureclase under the swamp. How do I actually progress? Level up my pick and hope I get lucky?

(edit) Nope, still stuck on hard non-metal. :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 10, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm up to the point where I can mine gold in Blightfall, finally. Took like an hour to find the green alien ore, then the not-copper, and even then I only found like four ore each of the damned things. Ended up cheating one of each in so I could get a full block out of the smeltery drain.

Is Blightfall always going to be a fight for resources like this or is there--eventually--the usual Minecraft post-scarcity to reach toward?

(Also, now that I can make casts, what's my next goal after getting my tools as upgraded as I can?)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 10, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Synnr posted:

What the hell disables commands in blightfall? I'm getting sick of clipping into whatever the hell it is when I teleport around and having to port back and forth like 6 times to land correctly. I just want to flip on creative for a second to fix my landing for christsake.

Apparently the world defaults to allowCheats=0 in the level.dat file. You need something like NBTExplorer to edit that file and toggle that to 1 to get it working. Some other posters say Open to LAN in the escape menu works too I guess? I didn't try it.

I'd post more details but work proxy keeps me from linking anything useful anyway, sorry. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gently caress you Dad I'll cheat when and how I please :colbert::colbert:

Actually I might stop on Blightfall and wait for the big new release before I get too far. Might try Regrowth instead, that seemed to have a lot of traction in the old thread. Fun HQM pack?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wolfsbane posted:

Regrowth is also due a big update in the next few weeks :) There's plenty of content but it sort of peters out towards the end.

It's not a bad mod pack if you're into sitting in one place slowly building your base and never leaving it. You will learn to hate the botania runes though. Holy poo poo are those things a pain in the rear end.

Oh, and Applied Energistics is the very last mod you unlock. Because of course it loving is.

Sounds good to me. I'm not really into exploration or wandering around in Minecraft, really--building toys and automation are much more my bag. Probably why I was obsessed with Agrarian Skies a while back. :)

(edit)
Ooh, there's an AS2. Maybe I'll play that instead, especially since...

Sage Grimm posted:

Also advanced tech is gated in a huge way because making titanium is a right pain in the rear and even magical crops won't make it better. Nothing like having to melt down limestone in a mariculture smelter that requires fuel to maintain temperatures and doesn't do any sort of neat thing like Railcraft to use less fuel when maxed out to get magnesium and re-process impure titanium with it. It's sort of why I've lost interest (also powered Mariculture hatcheries are terrible).

hsss mariculture :mad:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 11, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I wonder if there's a way in game or through some sort of console/editor chicanery to give your character all of the thaumometer results of all available blocks in the game automatically. I realized earlier that /tc aspect would let me skip the stupid research thing, if I turn it onto "easy" research, but then I'd need to scan items for melting for essentia anyway.

Well, besides referring to a wiki list of items :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 11, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Regrowth is neat so far. Up to the point where I'm trying to make 10/10/10 skeleton seeds, and already have 10/10/10 essence seeds. Man those go fast. Analyzing the individual seeds is kind of a pain in the butt, though.

Ironic that bonemealing skeleton seeds doesn't seem to work. :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 12, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

quote and edit b uttons how the gently caress do they work

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Will JABBA dollies work to move Storage Drawers, er, drawers?

For that matter, is there anything else for moving chests/etc. in Regrowth?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

There's no prometheum in the swamp. It's under plains- it actually says that in the quest book but if there's something we can do to make that more obvious please let me know!

EDIT: I talked to talonos & we're going to add a new custom tinker book that lists ore rarities by y-level and biome to help with this. That said when I played, I had a ton of prometheum mining under the alpha dome, to the point where I was like "lol prometheum" when I saw it.
That's what confused me for a while--I was looking under the alpha dome where I started because the book said it was in grasslands, and the biome there is "MSGrasslands". Never found any until I scouted the marble pillars in the Plains and looked there :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Regrowth question, is there any way to get my first nether wart without Witchery? All the rest of the routes appear to be catch-22d by other items.

Also, are Mariculture or Witchery actually required to do anything, like Magical Crops and Botania are? I'm not interested in Witchery and kind of dislike Mariculture.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

McFrugal posted:

Find some in a nether fort? Or make nether essence. I know I didn't have to use mutandis extremis to get my nether wart.

Now that I think about it, I was confusing Regrowth with Blightfall, where the Nether isn't really meant to be a thing. Derp. Thanks :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Synnr posted:

Like wolfsbane said your first one is a reward for a quest which escapes me at the moment. I remember it being an odd one I hadn't bothered to fiddle with, maybe one of the "get all the seeds" things?

e; Its the reward for going to the nether, tab 5 with the lil purple block icon.

Yep, I found that out from Googling, sorry I forgot to edit. I was ignoring tab 5 because as I've mentioned I rather dislike Mariculture :v:

Actually, besides Mariculture and TiCon (and vanilla, natch), what else for smelting does Regrowth come with? Doubling doesn't matter I suppose since once you get one 10/10/10 seed you have effectively infinite of that resource.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wolfsbane posted:

Thaumcraft has the infernal furnace, which doesn't use fuel and gives you a minor boost to production. Railcraft has the steam oven, which cooks 9 stacks at once IIRC, plus there's whatever Mekanism's furnace is called. I ended up mostly using the Botania exoflame. It makes all furnaces in a small area (~5 blocks) use mana instead of fuel, and cook faster. It's probably the most convenient for automation because you can just put it on the other side of a wall and never worry about fuel again.

Man Botania's a cool mod, I totally forgot about Exoflames. Thanks again!

Wish there was a way to automate composting at the point I'm at in Regrowth, though. Can't do golems yet, and I have zero interest in Buildcraft. I figure a hopperhock would work, if I could find a way to automatically break the wheat field when it fully grows.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm now at the point in Regrowth where I'm stopped unless I start Witchery. I've got Rowan already from quest rewards, but I need to get Alder etc. Is there any way to do this besides Mutandis and lots of prayer? I've gone through a stack of the stuff (so four stacks of wood ash :suicide:) and gotten nothing new because of the ExtraBiomesXL crap flowers I keep getting instead.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Edminster posted:

I concur with the cheating, but if you're dead set on not doing so I believe Ents will drop random saplings on death so just make a Rowan forest and clearcut it a time or two.

Believe me I'm not. RNG in this game is basically Satan in my opinion, so I have no objection to working around it after at least giving it the old college try.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

mechaet posted:

I'd like to announce Modderation: FYAD Edition as an addition to the Modderation series of modpacks.

http://technicpack.net/modpack/modderation-fyad-edition.696257

Streamlined tech and magic trees, and made it more laptop-friendly.

Server post in PGS coming soon(tm)

It doesn't have bloody loving TiCon :worship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Glory of Arioch posted:

what's wrong with tinker's construct :confused:

For me, partly its tendency to overrun every other mod that provides tools and make them less interesting/pointful to pursue; mostly it's that I see it all the time and I am tired as hell of seeing it :v: