Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Everything dies.

Including the Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Marvel Universe. Despite attempts by the Illuminati to prevent it, the multiverse is no more. Various individuals and factions in the multiverse tried their best to stop the end of all there is. Throughout Jonathan Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers series, we're shown a series of incursions between the Marvel Universe and the infinite parallel universes, with the two connected universes being destroyed if nothing is done.

They failed.

This is the fictional story of 40-something alternate Earths picked to live in a Battleworld and have their lives drawn to find out what happens when heroes stop being polite and start getting real. Secret Wars.

Key players:

The Illuminati: Originally a small group of some of the Marvel Universe's most influential characters working behind the scenes to save Earth and the Universe from whatever threats they feel necessary. For a brief period they held the Infinity Gems, which have since been destroyed. The group has expanded and changed some since it was originally created years ago, but the core group of Reed Richards, Tony Stark, and Doctor Strange has stayed largely constant. Throughout the most recent New Avengers series, they worked to stop the series of incursions between their world and other universes. This led to a number of less-than-heroic actions to save their own planet.

The Avengers: The latest version was started by Iron Man and Captain America as a machine to deal with threats greater than any of them could handle solo. It was actually created to distract Cap from the work of the Illuminati. Needless to say, he wasn't happy when he found out.

SHIELD Avengers: At some point in the months after Cap and Iron Man split, SHIELD puts together their own team consisting of some of the Avengers Machine, and some other characters from the Marvel Universe. They're largely depicted hunting down the Illuminati.

The Cabal: More or less the evil counterparts to the Illuminati, consisting of Thanos, Namor, Maximus, and some other various characters. They spend their time destroying incursion Earths without any remorse.

The Ultimates: The Avengers of the Ultimate Universe, SHIELD sponsored.

Ultimate Reed Richards: Like our Reed Richards, but without the moral compass. He did for his world what the Cabal did for ours, eventually allying with them in the final incursion.

Dr. Doom: Throughout the whole Avengers/New Avengers story, we're told hints here and there about Rabam Alal, the Great Destroyer. His identity is shrouded in mystery until the very end when it's revealed that Dr. Doom traveled back in time after being warned that he can't win, but he can keep from losing.

Key Reading (most recent volumes):

Avengers #1-44
Avengers Annual #1
New Avengers #1-33
Infinity #1-6

Here is the complete reading list in order, courtesy of Redbackground.

Okay, so what is this actually all about?

Secret Wars is an 8-issue event miniseries starting in May 2015 spinning off the multi-year Avengers run by Jonathan Hickman and starting with the Ultimates invading the Marvel Universe. As part of this, Marvel is canceling nearly their entire line and replacing it with a number of miniseries and one-shot tie-ins. Abraham Lincoln put together a complete (as of July solicitations) listing here with the book they are replacing in the publishing schedule, where applicable.

What do I actually have to read for this story?

We won't really know until it's all over, but realistically, only the main miniseries will be essential. From there, check out anything that interests you based on the story or the creative team.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Just to hype you guys up a little more, Secret Wars #1 is REAL good. If you were at all disappointed with the end of Avengers this will make you feel much better. I can't wait for everyone to read it tomorrow.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
Ok, can I get an honest poll here: raise your hand if you confused the Battleworld shenanigans with the DC Convergence ones and will probably continue to do so.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Even though it's tangentially a sequel to Secret Wars, this entire event is the kind of thing DC is reviled for constantly doing. The fact that they happen to be doing yet another one at the same time doesn't do much to discourage the comparisons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Even though it's tangentially a sequel to Secret Wars, this entire event is the kind of thing DC is reviled for constantly doing. The fact that they happen to be doing yet another one at the same time doesn't do much to discourage the comparisons.

Yeah but Marvel tends to be way more competent than DC. I'm interested to see if they can do the continuity reset in a compelling way. The "constantly" is the key problem there.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
*Superboy Prime punches through the DC multiverse event into the Marvel one* Oops.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DC is derided for doing multiple resets to fix continuity that nobody really cares about. The only thing Marvel has done that is close to that is really One More Day, which was derided for being a bad story. This isn't a reboot or a reset or any of those things. Also it's the result of a long term story and not something thrown together at the last minute. The only thing that's really probably going to change is stuff related to the Ultimate universe or other alternate universes seeping into the 616 universe we know.

I don't know anything about Convergence because I've not paid any attention to it as I just don't care for the direction of most of the New 52 stuff I've read but to compare it to the last thing DC did in this realm I doubt we'll be seeing any sweeping negation of years of storylines for major characters here like what happened with the New 52.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, this is literally the first universe reset Marvel has ever done and they've been building up to it for quite a while.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah, this is literally the first universe reset Marvel has ever done and they've been building up to it for quite a while.

Also isn't the DC a reboot so they can pay less attention to continuity? Like I don't mean that in a smart rear end way, didn't they actually say that?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Except it's not almost definitely not even going to be a reset. That's the point I think people keep missing. I mean they definitely want you to think it is. But it won't be. The fact that there are several titles that won't even tie in and other comments that Alonso has made about them not needing to fix or abandon their continuity. It's just going to be a fun giant crossover with a bunch of really weird alternate universe tie-ins. Which honestly I think is a bigger draw for me than the main series itself. I'm going to waste so much money on tie-ins here. It's like they created an event that caters directly to me as I love wacky alternate universe stories.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deadpool posted:

Except it's not almost definitely not even going to be a reset. That's the point I think people keep missing. I mean they definitely want you to think it is. But it won't be. The fact that there are several titles that won't even tie in and other comments that Alonso has made about them not needing to fix or abandon their continuity. It's just going to be a fun giant crossover with a bunch of really weird alternate universe tie-ins. Which honestly I think is a bigger draw for me than the main series itself. I'm going to waste so much money on tie-ins here. It's like they created an event that caters directly to me as I love wacky alternate universe stories.

That said is there any way to salvage Old Man Logan?

Everything else sounds so goddamn fun though.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 6, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Deadpool posted:

Yeah its just basically the Age of Apocalypse, but for everyone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

Yeah but Marvel tends to be way more competent than DC. I'm interested to see if they can do the continuity reset in a compelling way.

It would be the first time it's ever been accomplished.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Your first heart attack ain't better cuz your uncle's had 6.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

Your first heart attack ain't better cuz your uncle's had 6.

Assume Marvel took Bayer during it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah its just basically the Age of Apocalypse, but for everyone.

I've been kind of wondering if this would be my kind of thing or not, but that description just sold me.

I loving loved AoA.

Oh god, are they going to fold some AoA stuff into the main universe?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I've been kind of wondering if this would be my kind of thing or not, but that description just sold me.

I loving loved AoA.

Maybe it, look at number 3 on the map.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Have you read Uncanny X-Force?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sugarman, Dark Beast and Holocaust made the jump ages ago. Blink, too.

So yes??

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Sugarman, Dark Beast and Holocaust made the jump ages ago. Blink, too.

So yes??
Also X-Man then and Nightcrawler years later.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
What series are people looking forward to? I think A-Force, Thors, Carol Danvers and the Marvel Corp, AoA and X-Men 92 are what I'm excited about. I'm tangentially interested in Battleground 2099.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SalTheBard posted:

What series are people looking forward to? I think A-Force, Thors, Carol Danvers and the Marvel Corp, AoA and X-Men 92 are what I'm excited about. I'm tangentially interested in Battleground 2099.

Ms. Deadpool's Howling Commandos, A-Force, Thors, 1872, Runaways, Hail Hydra, Secret Wars Journal, Secret Wars Battleworld, Ultimate End, Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders, Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars, Planet Hulk, Squadron Sinister, Weirdworld, Infinity Gauntlet and Hank Johnson Agent of Hydra. But I'll probably end up reading at least the first issue of most if not all of them.

The ones I'm least interested in would be any of the X-Men ones probably.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 6, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Gotta check solicits again because there's just so much stuff but what i'm interested in are:

Ghost Racers, Ms. Deadpool's Howling Commandos, A-Force, Thors, Runaways, Secret Wars: Battleworld, Civil War, Spider-Island, Captain Britain & The Mighty Defenders, Giant-Size Little Marvels: AVX, Infinity Gauntlet, Secret Wars 2099 and Spider-verse.

Abraham Lincoln
Feb 12, 2008
If you are a racist I will attack you with the North
I've updated my list of all the Secret Wars series. I added in new series announced for July, added creative teams, and re-jiggered the layout.

If you're trying to decide which books to pick-up, I hope you find it helpful: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B7dL9vj-wYwg1zR9CBKWecD5jiTIrWGLuZp1fELLF1g/edit?usp=sharing

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

gfanikf posted:

That said is there any way to salvage Old Man Logan?

Everything else sounds so goddamn fun though.

I thought Old Man Logan was cool. :shobon:

I mean, it's definitely got its problems don't get me wrong, but there's a lot there I like. ...Now that I think about it it's probably the only thing of Millar's I've ever liked.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Deadpool posted:

Okay, a continuity cleanup, whatever.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

The ones I'm least interested in would be any of the X-Men ones probably.

E For Extinction, Bruv!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Okay, a continuity cleanup, whatever.

It's probably going to barely even be that. It'll be the mercy-killing of the Ultimate line, a few storylines "resolved" so characters can come back to "normal" (Steve Rogers, a Wolverine, maybe The Watcher or Old Man Fury), and a launching platform for a few attempts at new ongoings. If I had to put money on that only thing that I think will get quietly erased it'll be Black Fury and he'll be replaced by Black Fury because no one cares about Black Fury when you can get the real deal with Black Fury. Meanwhile I'll be shocked if if Thor goes male or Captain Falcon gets demoted.

Maybe a few characters will move forward in time, assuming they haven't already (Punisher and Black Widow being Vietnam and 80s cold war).

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

Hail Hydra, 1602: Witch Hunter Angela, Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos, Korvac Saga, Infinity Guantlet, Secret Wars 2099, A-Force, 1872, Future Imperfect, Siege.

I'll probably check out Ghost Racers too because "multiple Ghost Riders!!"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll probably give everything at least a once issue chance, but that's because I usually get all my comics from a code seller for $2 each (even stuff like Deadpool 250) so ymmv.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm kind of surprised they set aside a section of Battleworld for Doctor Strange and yet he hasn't get his own book.

On a related note, anyone noticed Mightygodking (of 'I Should Write Doctor Strange' fame) hasn't been posting on his site lately? :tinfoil:

As for me: I'll try out Renew Your Vows, Get Spider-Island (I'm there for the MC2 stories above all, though), A-Force, Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders, Secret Wars 2099, Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars, Thors, X-Men '92, and Captain Marvel. Plus I'll keep getting Ms. Marvel & the other books carrying on/doing Last Days I'm already reading.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Senor Candle posted:

Just to hype you guys up a little more, Secret Wars #1 is REAL good. If you were at all disappointed with the end of Avengers this will make you feel much better. I can't wait for everyone to read it tomorrow.
drat, you sold me on it.
Refreshing my mailbox frantically for that comixology subscription notice to show up hours early.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PelvicNerve posted:

drat, you sold me on it.
Refreshing my mailbox frantically for that comixology subscription notice to show up hours early.

Why Marvel, why can't you release at midnight?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

I hope secret messages are just as important this time:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Now that it's out, I really loved the little Punisher moment. He got to die doing what he loved. I think the story at the "end" of Avengers suffered a little bit because of how self reliant(?) they needed to make Secret Wars. Like this issue had the actual conclusion to a lot of stuff, but it also really sets up the series going forward, so it had to be in Secret Wars.
Hickman has also said that by issue 2, it will be much more clear how things are going to go forward.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Abraham Lincoln posted:

I've updated my list of all the Secret Wars series. I added in new series announced for July, added creative teams, and re-jiggered the layout.

If you're trying to decide which books to pick-up, I hope you find it helpful: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B7dL9vj-wYwg1zR9CBKWecD5jiTIrWGLuZp1fELLF1g/edit?usp=sharing
Awesome. Updated the OP. I like that you included creative teams now.

As for what I'm interested in...

Hail Hydra**
Ghost Racers**
1602: Witch Hunter Angela*
Korvac Saga
Ultimate End
Infinity Gauntlet
Secret Wars 2099**
Thors*
Loki: Agent of Asgard*
Giant Size Little Marvel: AVX
Runaways**
Weirdworld
E is for Extinction
A-Force
Future Imperfect**
Years of Future Past
X-Men '92
Siege**
Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders
Where Monsters Dwell
Secret Wars
Howard the Duck*
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl*
Daredevil*

*Stuff I'm either currently reading or replacing something I'm currently reading.

**Stuff I'll probably skip if a week is looking particularly heavy. I'm going to try to stick to 4-5 new books a week, which already seems like a lot of added money.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Random question, so what happens to the afterlife since they are all according to their own universes? No more or are they beyond that?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Haven and Hel got incursion'd at some point, I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Random question, so what happens to the afterlife since they are all according to their own universes? No more or are they beyond that?

Well the Beyonders apparently killed God/The Living Tribunal, so it guess it no longer exists!

• Locked thread