Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

I forgot about that, it's an especially poor choice since the King of Spain was actually instrumental in bringing back free elections after Castro's death.

You mean Franco I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

or does he :tinfoil:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Edge & Christian posted:

Which incident is that?

It was a cover for Echo or Elektra or something like that, might've been a MAX comic. I distinctly remember someone making a thread about his friend's decision to call the original copyright holder, and everyone angrily making GBS threads on them for it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

You mean Franco I think.

I heard that he is still dead

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lurdiak posted:

It was a cover for Echo or Elektra or something like that, might've been a MAX comic. I distinctly remember someone making a thread about his friend's decision to call the original copyright holder, and everyone angrily making GBS threads on them for it.
I poked around and you were right on the cover, which I had totally forgotten. We apparently had a thread called "The Industry Rumor Thread: Mobile Snitching Vehicle", and the sequence was basically:

1) Someone links to a Lying in the Gutters column featuring a number of blatant swipes by David Mack (this is the one that got the most attention and had posted to CBR the previous week, where David Mack took a fashion ad and basically added a katana to make a New Avengers cover)

2) Various people get outraged that David Mack is being compared to Greg Land, but others point out he has it coming with this level of swiping.

3) A poster says his friend sent an e-mail to the agency that did the ad, and reposts their apparent response, which is that they've already contacted Marvel.

4) Some people (including hermanos) make snitching jokes, posters who like to insult people (Crion, indigi, Rhyno) insult people, hermanos tells everyone to leave the initial poster alone.

5) The cover actually gets pulled, which people tie into that "no tracing" memo that was from like a year and a half earlier and probably in response to the Mayhew story I mentioned earlier.

So yeah, people still shouldn't trace, the jury is out on snitching.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Edge & Christian posted:

So yeah, people still shouldn't trace, the jury is out on snitching.

Snitches get stitches OR snitches get bitches. Vote now!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
snitches get riches

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

snitches get riches

First you get the money, then you get the power...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

SirDan3k posted:

I don't think Land even uses references anymore I think he's got a stock of pre-traced work set up in photoshop that he plops down like a lovely web comic artist.

I wonder how much dosh it would take to get Land to make an unironic version of Loss.

redbackground posted:

Here, knock yourself out. (from 2008, but whatever)

There's also this tumblr.

I'm not one to defend Land, but in that first link, it cites an example using Boris Karloff's Mummy. While it's clear that image was used as a reference, the linework and shading suggests to me that's all it was. I don't think Land traced that ONE particular image.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 24, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

You mean Franco I think.

God drat it, you're right. That was a weird brain fart. I have Catalan relatives for gently caress's sake that's how I knew the factoid to begin with.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I've been a sucker for duplicate versions of people from the same reality ever since Reboot, so while it'd be tricky to do well and most people won't be clamoring for it or anything, I'd personally enjoy a story with Maker Reed or Miles interacting with the recreated Ultimate universe, and coming across the versions of themselves that were re-created by Franklin. I think Maker Reed would be the more interesting story, I see it as a race to see which one kills the other first.

I highly doubt anything like that'll happen because on top of them probably not wanting to touch on the Ultimate universe for a long time (though it's Marvel, so I have to assume it'll come up again at some point in the future) it seems like other Raft survivors like both Spider-man's and Black Panther didn't have to deal with duplicates when they arrived.

Oh, and the Molecule Man helping Miles by bringing back his mom is the obvious favor, but it's fun to think that his favor was bringing him whole hog into the standard marvel universe to keep getting our attention and the mom revival was just a coincidence.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I think that 616 was the only one that was recreated to be similar to what it was. If all they were doing was restoring the old universe, then they wouldn't need Franklin's imagination.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When the Richardses crash back to Earth in a couple of years Marvel is going to have a great story engine.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Senor Candle posted:

I think that 616 was the only one that was recreated to be similar to what it was. If all they were doing was restoring the old universe, then they wouldn't need Franklin's imagination.
Spider-Gwen and Mayday's universes are completely identical to pre-Battleworld, though I guess you could handwave all the Spider-Verse stuff as shenanigans connected to the Web of Life and Destiny.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There's probably no good explanation. Brevoort was already in a tizzy about Web Warriors calling the main Earth 616.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So is there just one universe now, like DC did for like 10 minutes before everyonre realizing that was boring?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's plenty.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Yeah, they explicitly say that what Franklin is doing is making universes, as in plural.

Basically the FF are staying there and repopulating the universe using Molecule Man and Franklin's combined powers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That...looks awful. Holy poo poo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Actually, it looks great.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
So, in the end, those were the original 616 Sue and kids hanging with Doom? Not re-creations like everybody else?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

redbackground posted:

So, in the end, those were the original 616 Sue and kids hanging with Doom? Not re-creations like everybody else?

The line is very fuzzy when you are talking about a god. But yes, mostly. They may have also died when the raft broke.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

redbackground posted:

No. They were fabrications.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

But yes, mostly.

Welp.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can someone that knows how to Twitter just ask Hickman about it? Dude probably has a detailed map of who died when and who survived / was recreated.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Brevoort said they weren't either on Tumblr or CBR.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The only people who were authentic 616 were the people on the life rafts, Doom, Strange and Beyonder. Everyone else was a recreation, who in some cases were exactly the character they were elsewhere and in other cases were similar but different.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

PaybackJack posted:

The only people who were authentic 616 were the people on the life rafts, Doom, Strange and Beyonder. Everyone else was a recreation, who in some cases were exactly the character they were elsewhere and in other cases were similar but different.

I don't think that's right. In the last issue Doom defended himself by stating that, while imperfect in its implementation, Battleworld saved "millions." So I assume that many of the folks on Battleworld are an original from some universe (whether it's 616 or otherwise).

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

squidgee posted:

I don't think that's right. In the last issue Doom defended himself by stating that, while imperfect in its implementation, Battleworld saved "millions." So I assume that many of the folks on Battleworld are an original from some universe (whether it's 616 or otherwise).

What I mean is that with the mind fuckery, the only characters we "know": are the ones we know are the ones I mentioned. Franklin could have been our Franklin but at the end of the day he didn't remember because Doom messed with his mind so he might as well have been a new character.

Edit: Like Odinson and Ultimate Thor, they were obvious in their versions but they were essentially new characters because the result of their "salvation".

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Sue remembers the life raft breaking apart and being hit by the incursion, so I take it as this:

We know that Doom knows that Reed would have been a better god -- when Doom created Battleworld, he very well could have brought back Sue and co. as they could have survived as Reed and co. did since they were in a piece of the life raft as well. He didn't bring back Sue complete because he was being cautious about what she would remember.

When Reed reshapes the universe/universes, Sue is finally complete. If anything, it's Battleworld Sue with 616 Sue's soul. A difference made irrelevant.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

CharlestheHammer posted:

That...looks awful. Holy poo poo

You are wrong.

Allow me to introduce just a special presentation I call The Many Faces of Ribic

:stonk:

:stare:

:magical:

:siren: QUARDUPLE COMBO :stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk: QUARDUPLE COMBO :siren:

Special Bonus picture:

:shepface:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Love the Ribic :staredog: face

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That Thor just doesn't know what the gently caress he's doing strangling a dog.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ribic owns and I cherish every single :stare: face he draws.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
None of the faces really stand out, but one that I always hated and it kept appearing in every issue in the Cast of Character page is the one they use for Captain Marvel.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

None of the faces really stand out, but one that I always hated and it kept appearing in every issue in the Cast of Character page is the one they use for Captain Marvel.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

To actually answer your question there is an issue in the second half(I think) of Secret Wars where Sue is thinking about old adventures as the F4 and it was with her and Johnny's dad in Reed's role. I believe those are the Sue, Johnny, and Ben that are in Secret Wars up until the end. The ones at the end are the actual 616 ones that Reed used his powers to go back and save during the final incursion.
I think.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I always viewed as sort of like the end of Fringe. Everything is normal up to the time of the last incursion, and then Sue, Reed and Fantastic Foundation are just gone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Oh Carol, what have they done to you?

They never explained that if she willingly joined Sinister or she was controlled/cloned.

• Locked thread