Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

So hopefully they both come back as teenagers.
And then Greg Land uses her and then oh look, she's 18 now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I mean, I get that it's a comic book, and I'm perfectly willing to accept that she's a child super genius, but 3 years old?? Like, there's not enough time! When did she start to talk? When did she stop making GBS threads her diapers? When did her motor skills come in, so she could actually start reading on her own? Even if she's an order of magnitudes smarter than Reed, I can't imagine her being nearly his equal without at least a couple years of study just to learn what's already understood, which means you get the image of a 6 month old baby poring over superbiology textbooks and embarrassingly asking her mom to change her diaper. If she's 9 or 10, sure, whatever, its a comic book. Preternaturally smart little girl has been studying super science for 6-7 years, and now can even surpass Mr. Fantastic.

This is without even touching the art issue, in which she should still be pretty much baby-shaped.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Three-year-olds learn things incredibly quickly. I'm AOK with a three-year-old Richardsling learning everything incredibly quickly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I started a reread of Hickman's FF and Dale Eaglesham is the first artist I've seen that drew Val remotely in the range of her supposed age (and she still looks more like six than three)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Toddlers still have that slightly upturned button nose and no one drawing comics ever draws them with it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Squizzle posted:

Toddlers still have that slightly upturned button nose and no one drawing comics ever draws them with it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Considering how much time has passed in universe since the start of Hickman's run on FF she definitely isn't 3 any more. Anyway, if they really wanted to they could use this opportunity of them being outside the regular universe to age the characters up a little more.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They should use the opportunity to make her younger.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Her backstory has a lot to do with time travel and negative zone stuff, right? Boom, anytime someone brings up her age and how she's drawn, there's your answer: Reed Richards saying "It's quite simple, you see, because of all that time fuckery-" and then getting cut off.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Squizzle posted:

Three-year-olds learn things incredibly quickly. I'm AOK with a three-year-old Richardsling learning everything incredibly quickly.

Three-year-olds learn, like, the ABCs quickly, not superscience. And anyway, I'm fine with the idea of 3-year-old Val LEARNING incredibly quickly, but 3-year-old Val is ALREADY as smart as Reed, which means you have to imagine a 1-year-old Val studying in the lab somehow.

When you consider all the other things that have to happen between being born and being able to walk, talk, read, developing motor skills, and controlling her own bowels, there just isn't enough time for her to go from literal infancy to super-scientist in 3 years.

Like I said, call her 9 or 10, or even like, 7 or 8, and then it's more believable -- she spent a year or two doing baby things and developing, and then by the time she's 3, yeah, sure, Val is learning incredibly quickly and becomes one of the foremost minds on the planet by the time she's 7.

I didn't consider the effect it would have on Franklin's age, I guess, but honestly his power set brushes really hard against deus ex machina, and they could certainly stand to redefine his powers a little if they age him up.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Or they could just move his birth closer to her's so she's seven and he's like, ten.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When I think about super smart baby things, I start thinking about MODOK. I just can't come up with a workable mental image of a 3yo walking and talking and acting like a grown woman, and apparently neither can any of the pencillers

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

Or they could just move his birth closer to her's so she's seven and he's like, ten.

He was born pretty early in the Fantastic Four history. She has a real stupid backstory that is a complete clusterfuck. In the comics she has only been around for around 14 years while Franklin has been around for 48

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I suppose the only big disappointment I had is that Valeria didnt play any part in Doom's downfall. Sure she and Sue were there at the end to twist the knife, but still...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I still find it interesting that Steve and Tony had no role whatsoever in Secret Wars. I'm not surprised that they didn't, and their small-scale punching each other as everyone dies around them is a sad feather in both their hats, but I really never expected that that was how their story would end, based on how everything began.

What is Cap's status in the ANAD Marvel? Still old and crotchety? I assume he remembers none of this?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
The story ending with Reed and Doom punching eachother seemed like a pretty good bet to me

Gymer
May 30, 2012

redbackground posted:

What is Cap's status in the ANAD Marvel? Still old and crotchety? I assume he remembers none of this?

Steve is still old and leading the "Unity Squad" in Uncanny Avengers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also I think Sam is mad at him for some reason.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Some dumb convoluted reason, basically the moment Cap became old he became a bitter old man because old people are just naturally evil in comics.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They are in real life, too!

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Was it ever said who fathered the baby MODOK in battleworld?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When a daddy MODOK and a mommy MODOK love killing very much...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

When a daddy MODOK and a mommy MODAM love killing very much...

ahem

edit: There was actually a female Modok named MODAM.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 15, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Actually, wouldn't they both be MODOMs? Or MODOFs if you're being crude.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Mo'MILFs is the name of my rap album.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'm MODTF.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm rereading the Hickman stuff starting with F4 and here's future Franklin's "prophecy" to young Val:
"There will be a war between the four cities. The dead must not be forgotten. The future man must return to save the past. And all hope lies in Doom."

It's been a while since I read his F4/FF, how much of that prophecy is resolved prior to SW, and what parts could apply to SW?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Doom delays the mad celestials long enough for everyone to get out of the council universe and them to close the door i think? been years. the dead not being forgotten is johnny showing up with the annihilation wave probably, the 4 cities was the in ff too, the future man is either future franklin or nathaniel

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

jsoh posted:

Doom delays the mad celestials long enough for everyone to get out of the council universe and them to close the door i think? been years

I've seen a lot of speculation about how far back Hickman was laying out Secret Wars, so I'm trying to figure that out. Thematically, the early F4 and SW are very close, but I'm curious if he meant to start actual plot threads way back in 09.

Someone on reddit split up the Reed/Doom page, it's an interesting perspective:
http://imgur.com/a/KY3U5

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

If you wanted to link things that far back, you could argue The Wizard's whole mental breakdown is him discovering the incursions and not being able to deal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maduo posted:

If you wanted to link things that far back, you could argue The Wizard's whole mental breakdown is him discovering the incursions and not being able to deal.

Oh absolutely, he tells Reed that since they're both gods, he's seen the same math, he knows what's coming.

There's a lot actually about men as gods and trying to do godlike things in the early days.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I don't read a lot of mainstream comics, though I read Avengers/New Avengers through Infinity back when Infinity was actually happening. I spent the last two days from post-Infinity A/NA through Secret Wars and holy poo poo. I'm glad I had just enough passing knowledge of the Ultimate universe (read all of the Parker Ultimate Spider-Man and the first 8-10 issues of Miles, and a couple random miniseries and issues) that I had a lock on the characters. Fantastic ride. I'm sure I didn't get quite as much out of it as a lot of y'all just because I don't have background knowledge and love of some of the characters, but this kind of epic poo poo is the thing I love about mainstream comics, being able to feed off hundreds of characters and years of history.

While I'm still riding this Secret Wars high, are tie-ins that stand alone and are worth seeking out? I think Battleworld is a real cool concept, and figured I'd at least find out more about what Thor got up to; she seemed cool. Bonus points for any tie-ins at least partially on Marvel Unlimited already.

drat, now I gotta figure out which Marvel titles to read going forward, besides Squirrel Girl...

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

abraham linksys posted:

I don't read a lot of mainstream comics, though I read Avengers/New Avengers through Infinity back when Infinity was actually happening. I spent the last two days from post-Infinity A/NA through Secret Wars and holy poo poo. I'm glad I had just enough passing knowledge of the Ultimate universe (read all of the Parker Ultimate Spider-Man and the first 8-10 issues of Miles, and a couple random miniseries and issues) that I had a lock on the characters. Fantastic ride. I'm sure I didn't get quite as much out of it as a lot of y'all just because I don't have background knowledge and love of some of the characters, but this kind of epic poo poo is the thing I love about mainstream comics, being able to feed off hundreds of characters and years of history.

While I'm still riding this Secret Wars high, are tie-ins that stand alone and are worth seeking out? I think Battleworld is a real cool concept, and figured I'd at least find out more about what Thor got up to; she seemed cool. Bonus points for any tie-ins at least partially on Marvel Unlimited already.

drat, now I gotta figure out which Marvel titles to read going forward, besides Squirrel Girl...

Hickman's the writer of Secret Wars and he did a great run on Fantastic Four/FF that should all be on Unlimited. It's very similar in scope to Secret Wars and generally amazing. At some point the story will alternate between Fantastic Four and FF so just make sure to look up a reading order list before you get started.

In terms of Secret Wars tie-ins, I did a post on this a while back that I managed to track down which is below:

Most of the time big events kind of suck and the tie-ins should be avoided but Secret Wars is a big exception and the quality has overall been really high both for the main book and the tie-ins. If you're interested then without hesitation I'd recommend you select pretty much anything from the follow if the synopsis peaks your interest:

Thors: The book that everybody wanted but didn't know until now. Police procedural with Norse thunder gods. Surprised everyone by being better than it sounds even though it sounds pretty drat awesome.

Marvel Zombies: rear end kicking monster-hunter woman who has been trained to look after herself and look down on ordinary life and people gets stranded on the wrong side of the shield and is conflicted over protecting a young child she discovers.

Siege: Nights Watch from Game of Thrones but with superheroes fighting zombies and giant alien monsters and robots.

Weirdworld: Barbarian high-fantasy about a man trying to return home in a land which makes no sense.

Ghost Racers: Vroom vroom, burn burn. Have you seen that crappy Jason Statham movie where he's in a prison and the prisoners race each other in cars with machine guns and poo poo? That but with flaming skeletons and the like.

1602: Witch Hunter Angela: Superpowered witch hunter in medieval times hunting dem witches while worrying that doing so will kill her lover.

1872: Wild West Marvel. 'Nuff Said.

Infinity Gauntlet: In a land that has been devastated a family that managed to survive is granted superpowers and try to track down the Infinity Gems that have played a role in the recent movies. Thanos stands in their way, wanting to collect them for himself.

Planet Hulk: Captain America is given a mission to kill the Baron of Greenland (A land where everyone is Hulkified) and to rescue Bucky. This version of Captain America is a gladiator with a T-rex.

Old Man Logan: A follow up to a storyline that ran in Wolverine Vol 3 #66-72. Set in a land where all the superheroes got killed (in no small part by a mind-controlled Wolverine) and villains rule everything. A now aged Logan has finally gone back into the asskicking game after years of living peacefully and killed several villains. poo poo escalates.

Runaways: Teen heroes being trained by Doom's daughter Valeria (who in the normal reality is Mr Fantastic's daughter) find out a horrible secret and go on the run.

Squadron Sinister: The Marvel version of the Justice League is evil, backstabbing and trying to conquer the neighbouring lands of Battleworld.

Secret Wars Journal and Secret Wars: Battleworld: Both are books which offer two short standalone stories per issue, so you get variety both in terms of content and, unfortunately, quality but I've generally been happy with each issue.

Where Monsters Dwell: 1930'sish pilot is a complete arsehole end ends up facing dinosaurs and amazons when he agrees to transport a mysterious woman to distant lands. This is the only one of the bunch that is not a superhero comic of one kind or another. The writer on this can be a bit love-him-or-hate-him but I tend to like him and this is some of his less over-the-top work.

X-Men ‘92: If you ever watched the old X-men cartoon, this comic if for you.

Secret Wars: Secret Love: One-shot of several short stories with a romantic twist. Don't have to be a fan of romance to enjoy.

Secret Wars Too: One-shot parody comic with several short stories making fun of various things about Secret Wars.

MODOK: Assassin: A robot meant only for killing in one of the most violent of all the lands of BAttleworld.... finds love???

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Only thing that list is missing is Hank Johnson Agent of Hydra and Howard the Human

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I really liked Master of Kung Fu as well

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Also mods, please change thread title to Secret Wars: Everything Lives :unsmith:

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.

team overhead smash posted:

Also mods, please change thread title to Secret Wars: Everything Lives :unsmith:

Yes, please. Ultimate 616 Reed ("I'm the fixer" / ["meddler"?]) and the polar opposite of The Maker.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
Finally went back and started the series over and it was worth the wait. This is how you bring the curtains down on 616 and 1610. And as much credit as the latter issues get, #1 really does just bring such an A-Game. From Doom, MM, and Strange at the end of everything, to the last ditch efforts, and desperate maneuvers of everyone on-sight for the Incursion, it's a great (and fitting) send off for both universes.

Hickman really pulled through on the major event. It's a shame he's the exception and I hope to god he gets the itch to come back to the toy box soon. I love his creator-owned work but it's not that often you get a creator like him.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Fsmhunk posted:

Was it ever said who fathered the baby MODOK in battleworld?

SynthOrange posted:

When a daddy MODOK and a mommy MODOK love killing very much...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Nextwave was the greatest thing ever.

• Locked thread