Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

Has there been a company wide crossover that's been as well received as SW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

Also I've been inspired to read the Korvacs saga, expect my hot takes on how stilted and unnatural comic book writing was in the past imminently.

"This piss garbage churned out in enormous volume on tight deadlines for actual children by writers lacking the talent to find employment in a more prestigious and lucrative field such as dime novels—I find it lacking in quality!!!!! :monocle:"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

They're waiting for me to catch up on the Battlefield thread. Issue #7 has major spoilers for the fate of YOSPOS and they want to give me the chance to tell my part of that story first.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Skeematic posted:

I've assumed that it's mostly delayed because of Ribic, but I cant know that for sure obviously. If that is that case though, wouldnt people rather have it delayed and not have multiple artists?

I mean even with the delay, we get 9 issues in 8/9 months. Sure it was delayed but considering past events were delayed to be less issues in more months, in hindsight this is still successful, no?

This will probably be a backlist seller for a looooong time. Look at how well COIE sold in trade, well over a decade past its original publication. Not that I know what goes on in Brevoort's or Alonso's mind, but I'm pretty goddamn certain that keeping the SW trade attractive and coherent takes precedence over preventing (relatively) short delays.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Actually it's all the time I spent shitposting on SA.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

PSYCH, I'm not actually Hickman. :cheers:

e: But I am the real cause of the Secret Wars delays.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 2, 2015

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

no swole featz
and he lose to FRANKLIN A BABY

hater poop garbage

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

*angrily throws heroclix at galaxy tab displaying secret_wars_08_(2016).cbz*

BEN IS STRONG
LOOK AT DIALS HATER HICKMAN
LOOK AT HIS STRONG

I HATE YOU
VERY STRONG

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Hickman's Av/NAv run made it clear thatan incursion-ended reality is erased, not stopped: its entire timeline exists, past and future, until the incursion annihilates the universe. At that point, the entire timeline, past and future, ceases to be. I assume that, as part of the same big saga, the same rules apply here to a universe's creation—that the whole of time exists for Battleworld, past and future.

We've already seen Kang, and he didn't say "btw everything more than like a decade ago is a yawning void of horseshit and screaming ghosts", so.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I also like how time travel itself has different rules depending on which device you use to travel. Like Doom's time travel machine is unique in one way while Kang travels in another way and it just gets weirder and weirder.

When people :nono: about a Marvel time-travel plot not following the Grunewald Rules, I imagine them flabbergasted whenever they see an airplane, shouting "THAT'S NOT HOW BOATS WORK!" toward the sky.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Technically it's only one, and it's called the Infinity Growlntlet.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

kdrudy posted:

Layla Miller did at one point get her future knowledge from future Doom so maybe she'll make another big comeback!

I bet she's pissed that she now knows all there is to know about the future of a dumb broken universe that no longer exists. :rip: 616, you made Layla Miller useful.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

So on what page did everyone realize that bearded Reed looks uncannily like 1960s-70s Stan Lee?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

And SHIELD.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

P. neat that Hickman worked the offhand destruction of the X-men into his longform dissolution of the Fantastic Four.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Caper posted:

What do you mean by this?

Hickman's whole saga, most especially the Fantastic Four and Avengers bits, built to the Fantastic Four breaking up so that the Richards family can be explorer-gods while Ben goes to space and Johnny makes out with his ex's mom. That's the longform dissolution of the FF.

The X-books right now are dealing with the terrigen mists wiping out mutants. As part of Hickman's Infinity event, which is one section of the saga mentioned above, Black Bolt released the terrigen mists into the larger world. This wasn't a key part of Hickman's saga, so I described it as "offhand".

And that's :thejoke:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I've looked at a lot of religious artwork in my day, so I give comics a pass on any badly-drawn child that looks better than baby Jesus usually did.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Three-year-olds learn things incredibly quickly. I'm AOK with a three-year-old Richardsling learning everything incredibly quickly.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Toddlers still have that slightly upturned button nose and no one drawing comics ever draws them with it.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'm MODTF.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_hair

There's some complicated culture involved.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The complicated part was when my neighbor told me how happy he was that his daughter had "good hair" and my brain tried to figure out how I, being white, could respond.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Salvador Larocca traces a bunch, as well, but he actually puts effort into composition and keeping characters' appearances consistent, instead of rearranging the same 20-some pieces of jackoff material for every job.

Land is bad. Might be a lovely human being, but as a comic artist, he is a lazy motherfucker who churns out hack trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

or does he :tinfoil:

• Locked thread