Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

gfanikf posted:

That said is there any way to salvage Old Man Logan?

Everything else sounds so goddamn fun though.

I thought Old Man Logan was cool. :shobon:

I mean, it's definitely got its problems don't get me wrong, but there's a lot there I like. ...Now that I think about it it's probably the only thing of Millar's I've ever liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

So I take it that I'm the only one who didn't really enjoy Hickman and everyone in his story figuratively and literally slurping at Doom's dick for fifty pages.

It's okay I didn't either and I think this issue pretty much cemented that I'll like every tie-in better than the main event.

Hickman really managed to sour me on Doom which I didn't think was possible but here we are.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

The Magneto Last Days was kind of blah.

Seriously, I hope all the "Last Days" books aren't going to follow that template of starting at the very last incursion with the lead character going "I can stop this/save everyone!" when we already know they can't and won't because that's just kind of a bummer.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I liked a lot of the tie-ins (Master of Kung Fu was awesome), but honestly they seem to be hitting one of the big problems that I have with the Convergence tie-ins over at DC, where I think I'm gonna be reading a fun Elseworld-like situation, then 10 pages in or whatever the Thor Corps flies in or someone starts spouting off about Battleworld-politics to remind me that oh yeah this is a Secret Wars book because Marvel assumes I'm an idiot who can't read the cover or recap page.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Wheres the kingdom full of wolverines?

Canada.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

You guys do understand that Doom is the God of Battleworld with a group of Thors as his police force? Do you expect A-Force to just go "We're going to risk all of Arcadia getting razed because we want to overthrow God. This may or may not possible, and if it does work we don't know the consequences it will bring."

Um, kind of maybe? Simple fact, if you counted right now, the number of times superheroes have tried to literally fight God or even fight Dr. Doom with Beyonder powers is a number higher than zero.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Y'all just need to read Spider-verse, then. It's about five spider-people whose Spider-sense is reminding them of who they actually are and they gotta try and figure out what's going on.

I really liked Spider-Verse and I think it had the lowest percentage of Thors and Doom-mentions by volume of any of the tie-ins. Coincidence?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's hilarious that people expressed displeasure at a tie-in and were dogpiled as if they said the whole event was trash just at the end of A-Force #1.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wubba-lubba Doom Doom!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Old Man Logan was great. The one thing I thought was kind of odd was keeping Hammer Falls, Nevada in. I mean, in the original setting it was a great touch, but in Battleworld where all the Thors are Doom-controlled it seems out of place. If the story weren't focused on Logan going over the walls I'd almost say that someone actually lifting the hammer and being worthy while not just being a Doom-crony would be an interesting idea, but the hammer's obviously just set dressing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I'm a little confused, is the Sue Storm that Doom is hooking up with the actual 616 Sue or just one he cooked up with his God powers, and if so did he do the same for the kids? And also if you're God and Doctor Doom and you have a known history of having godlike power backfire on you, why would you let Franklin Richards (or even dumber, recreate a Franklin Richards) just chill on your front lawn with a Galactus? That's just begging for disaster.

Anyway, if nothing else I'm intrigued by the story again after Strange's line about "You remember?" because I loving love stories where people learn their memories have been altered/are wrong so I'd love to see what happens if/when the other residents of Battleworld remember the way their worlds should be.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

the Sue Storm that he's been obsessed with all this time.

On that note, is Doom obsessing over Sue a thing? My knowledge of the FF is pretty thin, but from what I've read (Hickman onward, some random poo poo around the web) it seems like in the past he's just been cordial to her while hating the rest of them, or just tried to kill her with the rest of the FF. I thought wanting to bang Sue was Namor's deal when it came to FF supporting cast.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

In the panel above, Strange, who hasn't had his memory manipulated, refers to Doom being omnipotent.

Or perhaps Strange only thinks his memory hasn't been manipulated. :tinfoil:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Spoil it for those who really arent going to buy a Greg Land boook?

The Maestro fakes being Odin out in the middle of the desert by turning back into Banner and wearing an eyepatch until some resistance people pick him up because they buy his story. The reader gets suckered in too because "Odin" talks about how he was the king of the gods and Thor was his son and when questioned he says that there weren't always multiple Thors and that his power was stolen. It all sounds like a pretty plausible thing like "So this is what happened to the actual gods in Battleworld" and you start to buy it, then a rebel spy reads his mind and goes "HE'S GOING TO KILL US ALL" and "Odin" smiles and goes "Yeah I'm actually Bruce Banner", then hulks out and starts wrecking the place.

At the end, this happens

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nobby posted:

It was in both. Luke and Jessica have a conversation about it in #9.

Luke Cage confirmed for New Iron Man.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Crusader posted:

SW #7 cover:

I see Japanese Spider-Man's hand with the bracelet in the lower right corner. I know I've been a vocal detractor, but Jonathan Hickman I will take back everything I've ever said if you have Leopardon fight God-Doom.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Law and Thorder is the most beautiful comic I've ever read. And while I'm really wary of the possibility of another fakeout like Odin/Maestro, the possibility of Loki having memories of the old multiverse has me incredibly hyped.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I just want to see Doom's reaction when he finds out that not one but TWO Reeds survived.

"What do I have to do to get rid of you stretchy bastards? Also you on the left, what are you doing with your head? Cut it out I'm not going to fight a conehead."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

Nothing's been done with it (afaik). I would LOVE JHicks to bust it out during Secret Wars somehow.

I'm pretty sure the only thing getting busted out is the Motherfucking Phoenix™

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A Phoenix whole gimmick is that it can't die. I doubt that's the last we see of Scott. Stephen on the other hand is pretty hosed. I did enjoy how Doom stepped in the second he saw Reed. No half measures.

A Phoenix Force's gimmick is that it can't die. On Battleworld, with like 50 Jean Greys running around, there's no way Scott gets resurrected before one of them gets chosen as the new host.

The one thing I found interesting is that during Val's analysis of Thanos and company,

it confirmed what I'd kinda been theorizing, that all of the "originals" are more powerful than their Battleworld copies. I can only hope this leads to Jane-Thor beating the poo poo out of Thors upon Thors upon Thors.

e: Also, Peter Quill really seems to be taking the fact that all his friends and loved ones are dead in stride.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 1, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Remind me what happened to Ultimate Doom.

He was last seen in the final arc of Ultimate Spider-Man working with HYDRA to research Miles' powers. Miles manifested some bullshit new power because Bendis really phoned in the last bit of USM to bust out of the Hydra facility where they had captured him and then came out on a roof to find the final incursion happening. Ultimate Doom never got caught or thrown in jail or anything. Nevertheless, the fact that he wasn't on a life raft and the fact that Hickman never seemed to give a poo poo about him before seems to be a good indicator he just died along with everybody else on Ultimate Earth.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 1, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Heathen posted:

We can't complain about Scott when Colossus had a full page Claremontian wordshit the very same week.

Well Colossus wasn't dumb enough to have it while actively in a fight. With Dr. Doom. Who is God.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
efb

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

Spiderman will smash it on sight.

"Look guys, just... trust me on this one, okay?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
But in the book, the Thing is Thunderbolt Ross, and it's totally in character for him to both try to help people but totally not give a poo poo if it gets in the way of killing a Hulk.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shawn posted:

This is Dr. Doom's face while loving you in the rear end.

Gotta go the extra mile

btw, in the process of slapping together that poorly made edit, I had to reread SW #3 and in it Strange has brown eyes, so I'm pretty sure the last page of SW 4 is just a coloring error and not a long con.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Deep down I know that Korvac Saga and Captain Marvel really aren't that great but I'm such a loving sap for stories where the characters realize there's something wrong with their world that I am compelled to read them.

e: VVV Oh I'm buying that too but Spider-Verse is in fact quite good and doesn't need to appeal to my specific tastes.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 13, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

I feel like nothing happened in the new Planet Hulk.

Advancing the plot-wise, no. On the other hand, Devil Dinosaur killed a loving Abomination/Sea Hulk so I feel I got my money's worth. With Doc Green talking about the gamma, I can't help but think it's building toward a climax where Cap hulks out.

Also n-thing the praise for Captain Britain. I was not expecting to see Parker's Dredd knockoff return, but I can't wait to see where things go. Kinda curious to see what kinda world Faiza is from because her memories make her seem like straight up 616.

Speaking of 616, if anyone was curious, Nomad in Hail Hydra is another straight-up 616 refugee. The text crawl at the beginning explains that he escaped from the last place he was seen (trapped in an exploding Zemo base in All-New Cap) through some interdimensional portal and wound up in Hydra-land so lucky him I guess.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 17, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

Here's how that story goes: Illuminati proposes using bombs, everyone else goes "gently caress you, you monsters!" A bunch of infighting happens while the events of Infinity or an incursion destroys the Earth, and no one makes a life raft.

There was never a chance of winning, and there was never a chance of everyone coming to a unanimous decision. Steve and Tony were going to die fighting eachother.

There's always a chance of winning, it's a loving superhero comic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
OML is so good I literally cannot believe it's Bendis writing. Like, it must be some kind of Jekyll and Hyde thing where he goes to sleep, writes Old Man Logan, and then wakes up shocked to find a finished script on his desk when he sits down to bang out some terrible X-Men comics.

e: Also I was very surprised by how much I liked Star-Lord and Kitty because I found that relationship really contrived when it was introduced in the main 616 comics, but the setup really works. I like the idea that Doom does not appreciate Disney songs and that's how Quill is faking being a musical genius.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 24, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dunbar posted:

Yep. It was really good. Good street level stories.

And speaking of Ewing, the Loki book is so great. I liked the first two arcs but everything post-Axis has really been stellar. One of the real bright spots in the Marvel line when you consider its 2nd arc was hosed by Axis.

Even the Axis arc was pretty good, just not as good as everything else.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know Angela's actual book hardly had time to get going before Secret Wars derailed it but man, 1602 has been infinitely more entertaining than the entirety of Angela: Asgard's Assassin.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

I'll PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU! I think it was the X-Force before Spurrier?? Yeah it was during Hopeless' run. I remember him and Forge having a junkyard science off of giant mutated Scorpion vs Junkyard Mech suit. But I can't find that glorious scene.

No, he was in Spurrier's X-Force, he was just kind of a background character. He did take a much more active role in Hopeless' run though, you're right.

And I know the scene you're talking about

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I haven't read Siege or the others, did any of the raft survivors popped up this week in the other books?

Not yet, but as far as "people who know Battleworld isn't what it seems" it seems like Bendis kind of spoiled the next issue of Old Man Wolverine by showing that he's in Manhattan in Ultimate End, so I guess spoiler alert, he's not gonna get eaten by zombies.

zoux posted:

In Infinity Gauntlet, how big is that realm? They're all flying in spaceships all over the place and they talk a lot about cosmic places. All false memories?

The answer to the question of the realms' sizes is "shut up stop asking questions that's heresy" then a Thor fries your rear end with a lightning bolt.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 6, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think everyone's forgetting the best Baron, Baron Kelly:

An honorable man.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

El Tortuga posted:

The forum incursions are starting.

Everything dies. Everything on the internet. This thread. This subforum. And, eventually, Something Awful itself. This is simply how things are. It’s inevitable, and I accept it.

edit:

What I will not tolerate-- what I find unacceptable-- is going quietly, like some mewling child, before my time. There is something out there, coming for us, trying to kill us all-- And I would do to it what it would do to us. Brothers. Sisters. All the angels have fallen, and we devils are all that remains... So I ask you... Will you help me KILL FORUMS?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 12, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm hesitant to tell anyone to avoid the series entirely, but Red Skull 2 was a massive disappointment and I'm skeptical about the 3rd issue now.

Yeah, Red Skull 1 seemed like a really fun premise, then 2 kinda dropped the ball. I kinda wish they stuck with the first issue's Suicide Squad-esque mission for another issue before their failure.

Also Secret Wars 5 was a cool book and all, but Master of Kung Fu came out and was the loving poo poo. Easily the book of the week.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gfanikf posted:

Going to be hilarious, if due to lack of Doom Particles or something, Thanos can use both of them.

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if there's some big reveal about the nature of the hammers. Like, because Jane's hammer is the only "real" hammer, the other Thors can't lift it, or because the other hammers are Doom-created, anomalies like the Raft survivors can lift them.

Also it kinda bothered me that Jane was there just hiding among the Thors and no one noticed. Like, okay, I get that that one Thor from SW #2 is covering for her and that there are a lot of Thors so she could maybe blend in, but like, it seems weird to me that none of the other Thors are gonna go "Hey, lady, are you new here? I don't recognize you at all"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

I'm sure the Barons know, and have been told something like "the public will not be able to deal with this- if you tell anyone not in the know, Doom will destroy you and everybody you love". And people on the Shield can know, because they can't leave or Doom will destroy them and everything they love. So the Thors can travel and the Barons can travel and the people at the Shield are all dead men walking anyway and society moves on without mass freakouts/questioning Doom.

The idea of The Quiet Room in Inhumans kinda shits all over this, though, since it's evidently a place everyone is allowed to be? (And how do they get there?)
edit: Actually, did I pull this idea out of my rear end, that anyone in Battleworld is allowed here? Maybe I misread something in the first issue.

Something I just thought of that would be a cool place for the plot to go: Doom and Strange can and have done mass reset when the world/society starts to unravel, but now that Doom foolishly killed Strange, he can't do it anymore and that's how it all crumbles around him.

I think the idea behind The Quiet Room is that it's basically kind of like a prohibition-era speakeasy in that no one is supposed to be there but Black Bolt is pretty smooth with running the place under the notice of the law. Also they explain that they do have an Eldrac (the door) network that basically serves as a teleporter between all the domains in case they need to clear the joint out when a Thor comes around. Of course that begs the question of how are people from other domains finding out about its existence? I guess BB's just good at viral marketing.

Unmature posted:

I don't know what the quiet room is. In what book does that show up?

Inhumans: Attilan Rising. And the first issue of Star-Lord and Kitty Pryde.

e: In the process of typing this post I went and glanced through Attilan Rising #2 just to get my facts straight, and they specifically point out Peter Quill on stage. So I guess if you're a sperg trying to make a chronology for the Raft survivors, Attilan Rising happens after SW #4

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I wanted to enjoy House of M but that art oh my god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62UzLgdb1GQ

• Locked thread