Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Thanos-copter was not from the 616 universe sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

Also not helped by the official hype train that's saying 'No it's all really ending!'.

And it did, Marvel's characters are just better at fixing the universe after it gets destroyed then DC's.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

We have taken the shattered remains of the multiverse and harnessed unimaginable amounts of power to weave THE COSMIC RUG all thing swept beneath it are cast into the void!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The shorter list is who survived. A crap-ton of characters are dead.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

All we really know is that under it all will be commentary regarding DC's faultless religious savior figure has been unable to save the universe while Marvel's flawed and dangerous embodiment of scientific progress can.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

Infinite Crisis had a ton of long-running set-up that eventually led into the main event. It gets a lot of flack nowadays for a lot of very legit reasons, but I remember every DC fan at the time being really excited and intrigued by how tiny bits and pieces throughout the entire DCU slowly built up to a COIE sequel. It pretty much set the standard for big modern crossover event books...which in retrospect was a terrible thing.

The only problem I have with Infinite Crisis is that it wasn't a reboot and that's mostly because what they chose to use was poo poo. It was a perfect point to do the Nu52 relaunch but DC editorial was like "NOPE GONNA USE THIS FLASH CROSSOVER! YUM-YUM POOPY TASTES GOOD!"

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Senor Candle posted:

If they had rebooted then we wouldn't have gotten 52 and you should feel bad for even imagining that reality into existence.

Actually I was mixing up Final Crisis and Infinite Crisis.

Comics really need to expand the world shaking crossover name pool.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hickman can do nihilistic but then you have books like Fantastic Four #604 that are just a clear triumph of life and hope and good and such an amazing end to a years long buildup that I know that once Secret Wars end we're going to have this wonderful Marvel Universe to dive in and explore.

He is a very "Darkest before the Dawn" writer.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

When it gets fixed only a few people will remember it. Duh.

I reiterate the need for an expansion of the everything changes event name pool.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

If we go by tradition Doom may have godlike power but he lacks a godlike mind to wield it, a stray thought here or there during creation and you have zombies and Ultrons and Anhilation waves.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Cap also put together that Tony knew there was never a chance and decided to lie to everyone.

Tony basically tricked/let the others delude themselves into thinking they could save the world at the cost of becoming monsters when he knew there was never any hope.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't Fraction run with the recent trend of Strange being a sex perv who sleeps with co-eds? I know he didn't start that, but still.

Well you see he slept with and married one of his apprentices who was actually several hundred years older then him therefore he's an old pervert chasing young women. You think Strange has it bad nobody remembers crap about Clea.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Literal creator deity whose rule is all I know? Gonna go punch him right now because the reader knows he's bad!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's actually a misunderstanding and she's just being drafted into the sharkthrowalypics.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I'm not getting the same vibe from their interactions as most people apparently.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I have yet to see what everyone sees in Mighty Avengers, it was hokey, the whole series was hokey with a boring superman insert, the book would have been better served replacing him Isaiah Bradley with the side effect temporarily hand waved who is actually a good character with more emotional punch and who fits the street level and the heroes in over their heads theme they were going for.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Uh, excuse me that's Flare Devil because his dishes have flare to them.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

sbaldrick posted:

It's Dr. Strange who split his powers in two so he wouldn't go nuts, it was stupid and involved him using the "power of the earth" in one of the many attempts to depower Dr. Strange. I believe Ellis killed the split characters on his two issues arc on the book.

Strange! (don't forget the exclamation point, the letter never did) didn't get killed, his/it's? essence was sent to help Clea and bonded with a freedom fighter she was falling in love with in a B plot about Dormammu seizing power again. Being a conduit of raw magic power he swiftly conjured a rug and swept himself under it. They never said if he died or not.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 18, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

zoux posted:

Then why do the Squadron Sinister get to annex surrounding realms?

I don't think that those are actually wall separated realms they are annexing as some areas are collections of several surviving realities.

Basically all surviving Squadron Supreme got put into one section of battle world to, well battle for supremacy.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Slippery_Elmer posted:

Couple of days late but it's not like Hickman hasn't already set a precedent of a Reed killing god(s). God's deriving their power from a world tree, no less. I can't wait to see 616 Reed go completely apeshit.

Yeah I've heard a lot of buzz about Ultimate Reed, when all I can think is the council of Reeds and how our Reed Richards with no family to anchor him should scare everybody God or Beyonder.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

This statement confuses me.

He made every hero essentially redundant through a broad application of flobotnum and maguffains like he was a fanfiction selfinsert character.

He was totally protecting earth with a space gun guys, the Avengers and Xmen couldn't have beaten this super scary bullet vulnerable army. Frankly Arron took a poo poo all over Fury as this master tactician and schemer by just giving him god killing doodads instead of poo poo like him manipulating Kree and Skrulls into a war to keep them out of earth's business.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 23, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

He's back to being solar powered, I guess Johnny Storm powered now.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I'm surprised anybody thought cyclops was here for any reason other then to job. The Beyonders killed gods and cosmic forces so to prove Doom had their power he needed to kill a cosmic force.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

The Phoenix's gimmick is rebirth and resurrection. I think there's a really good chance it plays into restoring the Marvel Universe after Battleworld.

A very apparent theme in the work is that gods are useless and only mankind can save mankind, The Phoenix is down for the count.

Doom lost basically when he became god.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 1, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Hrrm to feed the conspiracy.

Domalom posted:

Why are Doom's eyes blue in the final panel, instead of brown as they normally are (and are in the rest of the issue)?

Dr Strange has blue eyes.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Coloring error starts with c, Clea starts with C, Clea was married to Dr Strange but their marriage was doomed, so he was a Doctor with a Doomed marriage

Oh my GOD DR. STRANGE IS AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN DOCTOR DOOM!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

To roll with another conspiracy the "When he finds out you stole his life" line makes me think those are 616 Susan, Valeria, and Franklin. As well as it being 616 Ben and Johnny despite being a wall and sun respectively.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 2, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

Hickman has said they are not.

And you believed him? Wake up sheeple!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Yeah the inhabitants all belive Battleworld and Doom have existed since time immemorial, not any set number of years.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The book's big hook being an evil asguardian baby blatantly there only to plop out some trite new series hero fights did it no favors.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

People oversell Strange's power levels to begin with, yes he's beaten capital G Gods but it wasn't easy for him. He had to dip into an arsenal of mystical artifacts and borrow power from other Gods to do it.

Bendis putting him on the street level Avengers team was a giant mistake that made the problem seem even worse. "How do we write Dr. Strange fighting ninjas?" Is the same answer as it is for Thor, you don't.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

Big fan of Brother Voodoo then I guess?

That's Doctor Brother Voodoo.

Who still exists, for some reason.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Am I crazy for seeing the Beyonders as comicbook writers? The bit about them at first being obsessed with creation then destruction of what was created made it fairly obvious for me.

Or did Final Crisis just prime me for meta-naratives that aren't there?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It was obviously Black Panther curtailing American influence on the rest of the world.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Caper posted:

Dude! That makes a ton of sense. Might explain why he can't wield it but Jane Foster can.

Hopefully when not forced to string along the most obvious secret identity plot twist ever created by human hands so he could avoid getting interrupted by a giant crossover Aaron can get on that.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

I hope beyond hope that GotG2 movie synchronicity means Starlord jettisons Kitty Pryde for Gamora.

Preferably into the vacuum of space.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

TwoPair posted:

Val's supposed to be 3 and Franklin's supposed to be 8 (according to Tom Brevoort at least). However no one at Marvel can draw children so both of them look at least 10. If any sort of little reality tweak comes out of Secret Wars, they really just need to age those drat kids up.

but not too much but just like 7 and 10 respectively so they can be on model better.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The Biggest Jerk posted:

So these aren't the actualy thors from their respective universes right? Just imitations?

I'd say it's a mix of people who were the Thor of their universe and people Doom's hammers judged as worthy to increase the numbers and keep the true Thors in line just in case they turned.

Taking the few remaining Thors and making them less special by bloating their numbers with fakes seems a very Doom thing to do.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

It's the same as the answer to the old "Can god create a rock so big he can't lift it?" chestnut.

The Beyonders also have no fucks to give about the rules of the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Nevvy Z posted:

If he does it'll just be to get jobbed.

Nah 616 will get jobbed so Starlin can dedicate his next Thanos mini to how it was totally not jobbing but a secret plan to prove he was the bestest Thanos and how there was a double secret good enough to fool the Watcher and Beyonders and Eternity Thanos bot losing another fight to squirrel girl somewhere.

• Locked thread