Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There is nothing that will ever make me care about this multiversal poo poo. I just hope that it doesn't gently caress over the books that I'm reading. If I wanted to read stories that would every so often be thrown away like so much garbage in order to repeat the same basic points over again, I'd read DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

All this is doing is cleaning up continuity and moving the Ultimate universe over to 616 proper, probably. It's not like they're promoting some big clusterfuck reboot and the end of the multiverse.

What's the point of cleaning up continuity though? I mean if there's ever something weird in continuity that you don't like, you can just ignore it, writers do that all the time. If you start trying to clean up the continuity, it's an exercise in futility that will only ever make things more complicated since now a bunch of stuff will be flickering in some weird question mark zone between canon and non-canon. You can never really un-write what's been written.

Hell, a big part of the charm of the marvel universe is that without any big continuity cleanup, there's all this bounty of discarded and mostly forgotten junk to draw on whenever the writers want. Somewhere out in the depths of space, Spragg the living hill is floating around, and he could still pop up whenever. I thought that was the whole origin of the Guardians of Galaxy in the first place, just a bunch of stuff from the junk drawer put together.

zoux posted:

You are aware that this is the first time Marvel has done this, if in fact it is even what they are doing.

I'd rather it be the zeroth time they do it, because it sounds dumb.

Although they've pulled the "saving the multiverse line" plenty of times before, and it's never been interesting to me. Last time I remember was in X-Treme X-Men, where they had to plug up a hole in the multiverse because it turns out it the space between universes there's a bunch of big burly guys who tried to punch out all of existence .

• Locked thread