Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Deadpool posted:

Except it's not almost definitely not even going to be a reset. That's the point I think people keep missing. I mean they definitely want you to think it is. But it won't be. The fact that there are several titles that won't even tie in and other comments that Alonso has made about them not needing to fix or abandon their continuity. It's just going to be a fun giant crossover with a bunch of really weird alternate universe tie-ins. Which honestly I think is a bigger draw for me than the main series itself. I'm going to waste so much money on tie-ins here. It's like they created an event that caters directly to me as I love wacky alternate universe stories.

Yeah its just basically the Age of Apocalypse, but for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Die Laughing posted:

You guys do understand that Doom is the God of Battleworld with a group of Thors as his police force? Do you expect A-Force to just go "We're going to risk all of Arcadia getting razed because we want to overthrow God. This may or may not possible, and if it does work we don't know the consequences it will bring."

Who would want superheros acting like superheros, that would suck!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

Why have a story arc leading to characters coming to a conclusion due to raised stakes and acting on that conclusion? A-Force wasn't one issue of people punching each other, totally a no sell for me now.

That has nothing to do with what I (or he) said, but yeah that does sound boring.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Again, they will "act like superheroes" once the status quo and the greater context of the story is established.

But why would they, it could have consequences!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Without the possibility of consequences, no action is heroic, nevermind superheroic.

That was my point, his argument was literally "heroes can't do a thing because it might inconvience them" which is a weird argument to make about comic book characters, espeically superhero ones.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Neo_Reloaded posted:

His point was that, as currently established, their lives are good and their knowledge of the greater context of Doom and Battleworld is limited, so there is not currently a good reason to rebel and invite potential consequences. The series will presumably provide a good reason, and they will then rebel even in the face of those same consequences, thus proving their (super)heroism.

Nope, I just read it again my reading seems to be correct.

If you want to make that argument fine but it has nothing to do with my argument.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hell I didn't even say anything bad about the tie in, I was just making fun of a weird argument.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zythrst posted:

So in Inferno has Colossus always been portrayed as the dumbest person alive? Well I don't know Pete, they might be expecting you today. Why not wait a day.

Alternate reality Colossus does not tend to fair well in the smarts department.

At least its not AOA Colossus, who was dumb and a craven rear end in a top hat.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Old Man Logan was great, but when was the last time they showed Wolverine just blatantly dicing people up? Is this a recent thing? IIRC, usually panels with violence are just claws or swipes, maybe some blood. OLM had lots of body parts flying. Doesn't bother me, just wondering what the impetus for the change was.

Infinity Gauntlet was great from start to finish. Can't wait for the next one to drop.

That was the original OML gimmick. The writer just liked gore and poo poo. So they probably carried it over to mimmick the feel of the story.

Its weird hearing the story is good, considering how bad the original was.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

zoux posted:

Yeah the original OML gimmick was Wolverine going around and dicing up people and killing them, and not literally the opposite of that.

I said that yes.

Also I don't particularly hate Mark Millar(I don't know much about him really), but that story was just bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

zoux posted:

Yeah and I was saying that the whole story was Wolverine refusing to use violence against overwhelming justification to do so, but with cutting sarcasm.

The pacifist thing was actually rather neat, but I don; think the dude was talking about Wolverine in particular but the bloody and gory way that OML presented itself. Which didn't need to exist so I assume is just the authors thing.

Though my main problem is that the story seemed more focused on the worldbuilding than the plot, which wasn't that interesting, hth.

Plus everything to do with the hulks was just awful.

Deadpool posted:

Old Man Logan is full of a lot of Millar bullshit, but it's probably one of the more readable things he's ever done so if you didn't like it, and I completely understand why, I would suggest not familiarizing yourself with his other stuff. Especially his creator owned stuff where he doesn't have to funnel his idea through someone else.

Yeah I am not a big author guy, so unless you are a big name I probably won't know who you are.

Though didn't he do something with Civil War? I know he did the Ultimates. Which I liked a decent bit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

I actually just read Old Man Logan for the first time this weekend because of the SW tie in. It doesn't really have that many "Millar"isms. The worst is the cannibal Banner clan stuff but that's just the first and last issue.

Spider-Bitch is a big one as well.

Plus the Clan has a lot of it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If they go back to original AOA I will be fine with that.

The Miniseries were garbage that retconed the more interesting parts of AOA.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He is kind of lame and I haven't read a story where they did anything interesting with him.

Its probably because making an evil version of a character who is already kind of a prick is a little pointless.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 23, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

redbackground posted:

Just curious--do you feel that the atomic bombs should not have been dropped to end WWII?

Evacuating/destorying 616 Earth would have been a terrible option as it would have locked capital-E everybody from 616 out from doing anything else to stop the multiversal threat, and it would have just led to everyone dying anyway due to a faster universal death.

That isn't a good example as the atomic bombs weren't really necessary, they were just used to dickwave at the soviets.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah the fact a major event is being delayed is nothing short of a disaster for any publishing company, no matter the quality.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Black Is Black posted:

This post will never get enough love.

So the last 2 SW books have pretty much spelled out that Doom is hosed, but it raises the question...what can they go back to? I'm a bit worried that they will just bridge SW into a new Infinity Guantlet arc, resolving nothing and just leaving us wanting more sweet alternate reality books.

They are basically going back the old sq with some tweaks,what did you expect.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Claremont forge was cool but yeah other than that he is just kind of there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That is honestly true. As it's the only event that actually has had long term consequences.

Second is Jean Grey's second death. Though people don't really care about that anymore.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Brand new day had okay stories but it was so disjointed it was hard to care what was going on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh poo poo I forgot all about the gauntlet. Was it all the sinister six? It was decent filler, nothing noteworthy though. It also really didn't seem that important to the climax which was weird.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Die Laughing posted:

Actually looked through the books last night to make sure I wasn't talking out my rear end, and I wasn't that far off. The Juggernaut story was probably the weakest, but the Sandman and Lizard stories are undeniably great. Rhino was also pretty great, and the rest range from good to decent.

Shed ruled yeah, outside that I don't think they were that memorable. Though I hated the rhino story for how cliche it was.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Happy Hippo posted:

I recall BSS posters saying that the Kraven story was a worthy follow up to Kraven's Last Hunt but I never read it due to skepticism (I loved that story as a kid).

Nah it was just a vehicle to get kraven back, then they remembered he doesn't have much of a character besides his gimmick and forgot about him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

I'd wait for Spider-Man to come out before writing off any Ultimate characters. Like we already know Bombshell is coming over. I wouldn't be surprised if Kitty, Jessica, and Cloak and Dagger did too.

I think they will try and avoid having to many duplicates around as it is dumb and confusing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Apparently he tried to suicide bomb the inhumans.

I loving love Cyclops. Next time my friend, next time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It apparently sterilized all mutants. Which for some reason people are ignoring.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I loving hate the inhumans because they are either lame or cutrate copies of mutants.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

X-O posted:

Well what don't you hate? The Inhumans are the superior Kirby creation because they have more of that Kirby genius and weirdness in their DNA.

I find early FF unreadable and that is still the best story involving the inhumans. Which says a lot.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

X-O posted:

Oh so you just don't like good comics in general. Gotcha.

Some, personal taste and all that. Luckily that word doesn't apply here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That...looks awful. Holy poo poo

• Locked thread