Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I got bored/curious and decided to look up the fate of all of the Ultimate versions of the 616 characters on that character page in Secret Wars #1. I bolded the ones who are on the cover of Ultimate End and will presumably appear in that book.

ILLUMINATI:
Doctor Strange - Killed, replaced by son, son ripped in half
Hulk: Manipulated into serving Reed Richards and later Kang, presumably in a coma in a tank somewhere. A Hulk is on the cover of Ultimate End, but I guess it's possible it's Nerd Hulk or Black Gangsta Hulk? I think the latter is dead and the former is a vampire though.
Black Bolt: Appeared just long enough to destroy Attilan to keep the Fantastic Four from snooping around, hasn't been seen in years
Black Panther: An impetuous teenager who was more or less killed by the Panther God because he was unworthy of the throne, got turned into a mute bootleg Wolverine by Weapon X, impersonated by Captain America for awhile
Beast: Drowned when Magneto flooded all of Manhattan
Amadeus Cho: Floating around as a random smart dude who worked for SHIELD and presumably survived Cataclysm

AVENGERS:
Spider-Man: Peter was killed by Norman Osborn and replaced by Miles Morales but now he's back I guess but retired from superheroing?
Thor: Opened up a portal to the Negative Zone and shoved Galactus through it, presumed dead and/or floating around the Negative Zone
Captain America: Steve is presumed dead after flying a jet into Galactus's face, Sam was last seen in the Future Foundation
Black Widow: Secretly loyal to "Mother Russia" all along, she betrayed the Ultimates and got shot in the head by Hawkeye. The new Black Widow was Nick Fury's ex-wife, who got her face burned off and head crushed by Norman Osborn
Manifold: Has not appeared in the Ultimate Universe
Captain Marvel: Never got superpowers, but did end up in charge of SHIELD thanks to the evil machinations of Tony Stark's evil brother. She got hit by a car and put into a coma and never mentioned again.
Luke Cage: Incredibly, has never appeared
Iron Fist: Appeared for a couple of Spider-Man arcs, sold out Spidey and crew to the Kingpin but it was to protect his daughter, last seen walking into the sunset with said daughter
She-Hulk: Jen Walters shows up as a SHIELD scientist who exists entirely to be a misdirect for when Betty Ross becomes a She-Hulk
Pod: Has not appeared in the Ultimate Universe

FANTASTIC FOUR
Thing: Can turn into like a purple energy being now, married to Sue Storm
Human Torch: Has just kind of floated around, lived with Aunt May and Peter for awhile, lived in the sewers with the X-Men after that
Mr. Fantastic: Went evil, is in Secret Wars
Invisible Woman: Married Ben Grimm, was convinced by Ultimate Spider-Ham that she had to have a baby with Reed Richards to save the multiverse but decided at the last minute to get artificially inseminated with her husband Ben's sperm instead of Reed's, last seen giving birth to an unnamed baby girl
Valeria Richards: Maybe see above?
Franklin Richards: Also maybe see above, there is precedent for female Frankies in FF lore

X-MEN
Storm: Lost her powers and got stuck in a government concentration camp, helped spark a violent uprising but pushed back against executing all humans, got her powers back, still somewhere out there I guess in Nation X if it still exists
Iceman: Also presumably out in Nation X, assuming it still exists
Cyclops: Decapitated Magneto with an optic blast, was giving a Mutants Right speech and got shot in the head by Quicksilver
Nightcrawler: Went super homophobic when he found out Colossus was gay, the two later made up and got addicted to mutant steroids and were friends again when Nightcrawler got drowned by Magneto
Colossus: Back during that uprising I mentioned in Storm's bio, Colossus decided to just straight up execute the prison guards but felt bad about it and was last seen like three years ago moping in the woods about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I misread Timeless Appeal's post and thought he was saying that Millar was claiming that his Ultimate X-Men was conceived as a pitch for a movie trilogy and then adapted to comics, which would be total bullshit, and something I could totally see Millar saying. But then I realize that wasn't what was being said. All of this led to reading some old Millar interviews and coming across this all-time classic:

quote:

Colin Powell and over eighty per cent of the army are black so it made sense to me that the new commander in chief of SHIELD might be a black guy from a purely practical point of view. [Ed note: the US Army is not eighty percent black.]

and this:

quote:

Of course, it helped break up the white boy's club a little too in The Ultimates, but it's not lovely tokenism like Spyke in the Evolution cartoon or John Stewart in Justice League. It just makes sense.

The whole interview is pretty hilarious, but that bit really sticks out. Anyway, the Ultimate line kind of stopped having a reason to exist a long time ago. Originally it was conceived just to be a place for solid accessible re-imaginings of Marvel's movie franchises at the time (Spider-Man and X-Men) so the movie fans would have something to buy when they came into the store.

The Ultimate books got popular pretty quick, and then sort of morphed into a space where it seemed like they were trying to pitch/workshop more accessible versions of characters/stories that could later be used in movies/etc. The one that really sticks out for me in this second phase was the absolute insistence that Bendis figure out a way to bring Venom into Ultimate Spider-Man.

Then after a certain point the Ultimate line stopped really having a point because
a) A series of revamps/retoolings had managed to make most of the mainline Marvel books if not completely new reader friendly, at least way more accessible than in 2000
b) Once you set up this new accessible universe, you let Mark Millar and Jeph Loeb and etc. repeatedly SWERVE everyone until it its microcosm it's just as convoluted and confusing to new readers as anything else
c) Also you've either done a good job of revamping a character for a new generation (namely um... I guess making Samuel L Jackson black and Aunt May not a mummified 100 year old?) and now you're just full of scarred and dead versions of popular characters, what's the point?

The answer of course was letting people like Michel Fiffe do a second cycle of Ultimate books where they're nostalgic love letter revamps of the 1980s street level Marvel books because those characters are great and deserve attention but whoops, turns out no one outside of a very small group was clamoring for Ultimate Bullet or Ultimate Serpent Society or Ultimate Damage Control.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Alucard Nacirema posted:

The early ultimate universe stuff was really a blueprint for the Marvel Movies
Could you elaborate? Because really outside of "Nick Fury is Samuel L Jackson" and "Aunt May is an active senior human being and not a decrepit papier-mache mummy" I'm not really sure what the Marvel movies really took away from the Ultimate line.

There's a lot of background Spider-Man retooling in both movie series that resemble Ultimate Marvel more than Original Marvel, but that's more Bendis folding in the Raimi Spider-Man series into his retelling than vice versa. Ditto the Ultimate X-Men folding the "All New All Different X-Men into the initial team, which was Millar responding to the first X-Men movie doing it already.

I'm fuzzy on all of the details, but I know some people are saying the forthcoming Fantastic Four reboot is borrowing a lot from the Ultimate FF origin, but even then that in part bouncing off of the then-in-production film script.

Beyond that, the film versions of all of the Ultimates characters bear very little semblance to the Marvel Cinematic Universe characters, outside of (I guess) Captain America's costume redesign and the fact that neither Ultimate nor Movie Tony Stark has quit drinking yet.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, I meant that they were designed to be very film like, not that they were actual pitches. Still, I could have sworn that there was an interview with him in which he was asked how he would have done X-men 2 and he basically just described Return to Weapon X except with more sentinels.
I have no doubt Millar said exactly that, or tried to intimate he was working alongside the screenwriters on the X-Men sequels, or any number of other ridiculous things.

There was that whole period where Millar kept dropping message board/online interview hints about how he was going to work on every single comic book movie coming out, from Spider-Man to Superman Returns, while also insisting that Eminem was all but locked up to star in Wanted. Then he had to dial it back when he got letters from the lawyers of Eminem and Warner Bros. and etc. It was a heady time on ol' Millarworld.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

That is impressive as the Ultimate Spider-man started in 2000 and the first Spider-man came out in 2002
The plot outline of the first dozen or so issues of Ultimate Spider-Man was literally written out by Bill Jemas and shopped around to different writers. It was reworked considerably (there was a whole subplot about Norman mixing Oz into Gatorade to help Harry's football team win the big game?) but a lot of the things in the movie (that Osborn's company was doing the experiment that gave Spider-Man powers, Osborn as the first villain, Oscorp being implied to be the source of other villains, Osborn experimenting on himself, jumping straight to Mary Jane being around at the beginning, etc) was in the outline that Bill Jemas wrote up in the summer of 2000. All of this was reprinted in a number of places, I know it's in the back of the first Ultimate Spider-Man OSHC and probably elsewhere.

Per Wikipedia, by the point of the e-mails being shot back and forth between Jemas/Bendis/Quesada while developing Ultimate Spider-Man, Sam Raimi had already signed on to direct the 2002 film, had cast Tobey Maguire, and had a script that was pretty much plot/characterwise what ended up on film in 2002. Filming started in January 2001, by which point four issues of Ultimate Spider-Man had been published.

So if the similarities are not just a huge coincidence, either Bill Jemas as publisher of Marvel Comics working on a major initiative to capture some of the film audience with his new publishing line had gotten a hold of some of the big picture plans for a film that his CCO was producing and tried to fold those into the comic outline he was writing or Sam Raimi changed his film mid-production to reflect the concepts in a moderately popular comic book.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The most amazing thing about Mantis is how Steve Englehart was so attached to her he kept shoehorning her into books that weren't even at Marvel.

He introduced her on his Avengers run in the 1970s and wrapped up his "celestial madonna" storyline shortly before leaving, but...
Then wrote her into his Justice League of America series as "Willow" when he had beef with Gerry Conway who was Marvel EiC for like six weeks. Then he left comics to move to Europe or write novels or something, one of which apparently features Mantis in a small role.
Then he worked her into one of his creator-owned books.
Then he came back to work for Marvel, got to launch a SIlver Surfer ongoing, and within like four issues Mantis was his love interest. There was apparently editorial pressure to not have Mantis be so prominent in the book, so...
Englehart just had her join the West Coast Avengers, which he was then writing. He quit Surfer not too long after Mantis was written out but then apparently editorial didn't want WCA to focus on her either. So he quit WCA and...
Wrote her into his Fantastic Four run that was going on at the time, where once again he was told he should not have the book focus on Mantis. So he killed her off and quit the book.

Then some other creators used Mantis (in a number of bad stories, including the Crossing) and this naturally really really pissed off Steve Englehart, to the point that I could've sworn that there was an interview where Kurt Busiek stated some of the retcons around Mantis in Avengers Forever were basically done specifically for the benefit of Englehart, in the hopes he would come back to Marvel.

And eventually in 2001 he did! For Avengers: Celestial Quest, a comic book about Mantis (and some Avengers, but mostly Mantis) doing cosmic stuff.

I used to feel bad about making fun of Englehart and his Mantis obsession, but then I started reading old letters/interviews from 1970s fanzines and he was 100% in the bomb-throwing "well you know comic books are 99% made by hacks and most of the people in my field are too stupid to understand what my vision is and that's why I'm going to go be a best-selling world-beating literary author and leave this comics bullshit in the dust, did you know I can't even show Avengers smoking reefer or having sex? It's so much freer in Europe, maybe everyone should move to Europe, but then I guess my old editors at Marvel are too dumb to learn another language! Again, I am better than comic books and will never work in them again after this one last thing! 1974 can't come fast enough!"

Which you know fine, you're young and brash and you grow out of it.

Then I found his official website, which isn't quite the same brand of unalloyed arrogance, but is definitely chock full of "all of my ideas are great, if things weren't great it was some dumbass editor who ruined it, everything should have been better had I not been interfered with" combined with him explicitly taking credit and demanding some sort of compensation/admission that when you get down to it, that without stripmining his ideas they never would have made the 1989 Batman, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, the Captain America films, Guardians of the Galaxy, the Avengers, franchise, all of the DCAU, the 1990s Silver Surfer cartoon, and probably some other stuff.

http://www.steveenglehart.com/Comics/Star-Lord.html

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Look guys, the fact of the matter is, everyone is sucking Doctor Doom's dick. They're taking his dick and putting it in their mouth and sucking it. That's just how it works. They're forced to place Doctor Doom's genitals in their mouth. The fact that no one has overthrown him one week into tie-ins is just proof this is terrible, and the writers think Doctor Doom deserves to get his dick sucked constantly. It's ridiculous. You would think they'd have learned their lesson after the disastrous effects of crossovers like Everyone Sucks Magneto's Dick, The Universe Gives Apocalypse Endless Blowjobs, Lex Luthor Rams His Dick Down The Throat Of America And Everyone Likes It, Darkseid Rape Fantasies #1-18, etc. It's disgusting really.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Colossus being blindly convinced his sister is a great person no matter what and if she's kind of demonic or whatever he just needs to really hug his little snowflake and make everything better is exactly what he did in Inferno and basically every book that has featured the two of them, ever.

And N'Astirh exists solely because the original post-Belasco Limbo demon was named S'ym and looked kind of like Cerebus, and then Claremont introduced Mister Sinister, and then thought "hey, Sinister, S'ym... S'ym...N'astirh? Tee hee hee." Considering people love lolcat Based MODOK for the lulz and teh wins I feel like N'astirh picking up a few contemporary slang terms in the 4/25 years he rules over NYC is a weird thing to flip out on.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I'm just saying as someone who read Inferno and all of New Mutants as a kid, N'astirh (who is/was pretty much a cipher) talking slightly differently in a comic book 20+ years later seems like an odd thing to leap out at someone. I was more distracted by how weird his horseface was, it took me a minute to figure out who it was.

I think it's odd but obviously it's a valid thing to pick up on and dislike. I still don't quite get your point about how demons need to be afraid of Colossus to be a valid tie-in to Inferno. I also appreciate your genuine response to reading a comic far more than the sort of HEH HEH DIDN'T READ IT BUT gently caress THAT WRITER GONNA ADD IT TO MY LIST OF THINGS I HAVEN'T READ BUT KNOW SUCK.

I didn't even really like Inferno much either. Honestly I'm not sure if I've liked any of the tie-ins yet, I might just be suffering from multiverse 'fun' fatigue.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Wait, that was supposed to be her superhero name? I thought it was just the guy insulting her.
It was like, a selling point in Millar's Old Man Logan pre-release interviews:

MILLAR: You see Spider-Man's granddaughter in it. She's called Spider-Bitch.

IGN: -laughs- What?

MILLAR: -laughs- She's this wee badass kind of girl who wants to kill the new Kingpin who rules the Utah area.

And here:

MILLAR: Only a few Marvel Heroes are still alive and the story mainly focuses on their descendants. There's a new Kingpin for example and Spiderman's granddaughter, Spider-bitch, is a favorite but the characters I'm most excited about are the radiation sick sons and grandsons of the Hulk

Or here!

MILLAR: The kind of characters he runs into is like Spider-Man's granddaughter, who is called Spider-Bitch and she is this black Spidey-Girl type of person that runs around in Utah. He runs into what's left of the X-Men. He runs into the remains of the Marvel Universe. And it's done in a way that you have never seen before.

This isn't an off-hand line of dialogue that critics of Mark Millar have latched onto. This was an explicit selling point of Old Man Logan in Mark Millar's eyes. "Hawkeye's a drug dealer! The Hulks are all incestuous/inbred. SPIDER-BITCH! Ha ha, I came up with Spider-Bitch! She's black you see!"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I think the question people are asking is less "is that 616 Odinson" and more "that's 616 Odinson, DO YOU THINK HE MIGHT HAVE SOMEHOW SURVIVED EVERYTHING AND REMEMBERS STUFF AND THIS WILL BE A BIG REVEAL?"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

zoux posted:

I asked yesterday but got no answer: what continuity is Nu-topia?
The characters who weren't some sort of [Squadron] Supreme [Power] analogues in that issue were all from the original New Universe, so presumably the New Universe?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The Shield is a really really big wall that divides the "good to merely bad" zones from the "really terrible" zones. The only things on the "bad" side of the Shield are:

1) The Deadlands, filled with zombies
2) Perfection, filled with Ultrons
3) New Xandar, filled with Annihilation Wave monsters

Everything North of that isn't protected/blocked off by the wall, so even in the "good" zone you still have huge swaths of land controlled by various types of Hulks, supervillains, Sentinels, demons from hell, terrorists, Apocalypse, etc. They're shown to be warring in a lot of books, and are probably generally lovely neighbors.

Old Man Logan is from a blighted hellscape ruled by a Nazi and inbred Hulk offspring. The zone he passed into is ruled by a genocidal supremacist. It doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that someone might want to build a wall outside of God Doom's SHIELD wall. Or that some other zones might not have a wall. Or that sometimes the walls get blown up. Or that if there is any sort of miscommunication about passage between zones, it *might* be some random schlub writing a stupid MODOK comedy book that flubbed it?

Whoops, I guess Chris Yost wrote the MODOK: Assassin issue? There have been so many cheap MODOK joke stories in SW already I'm getting them mixed up.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I forgot about Ruby Summers. I know this is skirting the line of "superhero sex talk" but how did she inherit a mutant trait of her dad's goggles? Or is this just like how Cyclops has two eyes, and it's just a name and she transforms into diamond like her mom, but she dyed it red?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I wish I could see what you all see in Hank Johnson Agent of Hydra. To me it just read like a lot of warmed-over sitcom jokes (PEANUT ALLERGIES! AWKWARD DINNER DATES!) mixed in with warmed over comic nerd jokes (MODOK EXISTS AND IS FUNNY TO BE DOING THINGS!)

Where Monsters Dwell is at least a change of pace, decently put together, and I'm reasonably confident a complete piss-take on MRA culture, not a celebration of it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

I watched Ribic at Special Edition NYC maybe two years ago do some commission work while sitting at his table. For ten minutes.

He is loving amazing and fast, and still shoves in details I couldn't remember even moments later. HIGHLY doubt IMHO that he's the hold up.

Look to Hickman as the big reason; he probably spent too much time in Adopey Illustrator making those goddamn charts and symbols rather than actually work out an ending.

Ah yes, the blazing fast Esad Ribic, "the 21st Century Mark Bagely" whose output in the past ten years has consisted of (outside of covers and pin-ups):

Avengers #24.NOW (single issue)
Dark Reign: The List: Wolverine (oversized one-shot)
Loki (four issues)
Sub-Mariner: The Depths (five issues)
Thor: God of Thunder (fifteen issues, spread out five at a time + eight pages across two other issues)
Uncanny X-Force (three issues + three pages in a fourth issue)
X-Men: Battle of the Atom #2 (the first fourteen pages, the rest done by fill-ins)
X-Men Second Coming #2 (maybe eight pages but the last six of the pages credited to him look like someone trying and failing to draw like Ribic)

So erring on the side of generosity, from 2004-2014 he averaged about three and a half full interior comics a year. The fact that an eight issue series with giant-sized issues is falling behind in 2015 is almost certainly due to that lazy gently caress Hickman, it wasn't like he produced more comics in any given year than Ribic did in a decade.

I think they're both very talented but come on.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

I remember there was an obviously traced cover that got called out by a BSS lurker's artist friend some time ago, making Marvel pull the cover when the copyright holder of the traced photo got heated under the collar about it.

Then Hermanos was like "SNITCHES GET STITCHES" instead of thinking that was a cool thing to do to a hack artist.

Marvel even had a press conference where they said tracing would no longer be tolerated, and then a new Land series was announced less than a month later.
You might be mixing up this with another story, I don't remember, but Mike Mayhew traced a portrait of the actual King of Spain and it was going to be used for a House of M cover, then the government of Spain went "hey don't trace a portrait of our king to promote a book about a supervillain taking over the world" and they pulled the cover and apologized and etc.

Here is a New York Post article about it since no comic book website bothers to keep their archive up.

This was before hermanos was BSS mod and before BSS even existed I think, so I am not sure where the part about BSS catching it and hermanos trying to get people to stop snitching came from, that might have been something else? This is the only time I remember them pulling a cover over this.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

WickedHate posted:

Marvel also had the ghost of Princess Di becoming a member of X-Statix at one point, but changed it to a new character after the backlash.
That didn't involve any swiping, just an announced comic getting changed up after public outcry.

Lurdiak posted:

I am talking about a completely separate incident.
Which incident is that?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

It was a cover for Echo or Elektra or something like that, might've been a MAX comic. I distinctly remember someone making a thread about his friend's decision to call the original copyright holder, and everyone angrily making GBS threads on them for it.
I poked around and you were right on the cover, which I had totally forgotten. We apparently had a thread called "The Industry Rumor Thread: Mobile Snitching Vehicle", and the sequence was basically:

1) Someone links to a Lying in the Gutters column featuring a number of blatant swipes by David Mack (this is the one that got the most attention and had posted to CBR the previous week, where David Mack took a fashion ad and basically added a katana to make a New Avengers cover)

2) Various people get outraged that David Mack is being compared to Greg Land, but others point out he has it coming with this level of swiping.

3) A poster says his friend sent an e-mail to the agency that did the ad, and reposts their apparent response, which is that they've already contacted Marvel.

4) Some people (including hermanos) make snitching jokes, posters who like to insult people (Crion, indigi, Rhyno) insult people, hermanos tells everyone to leave the initial poster alone.

5) The cover actually gets pulled, which people tie into that "no tracing" memo that was from like a year and a half earlier and probably in response to the Mayhew story I mentioned earlier.

So yeah, people still shouldn't trace, the jury is out on snitching.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Counterpoint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Here are some actual photographs of Iron Man, Captain America, Batman, and Starlord, all of which were the first or second hit on Google Images, where they tilt their head slightly to one side or the other, turning them into misshapen monsters:

I mean sure their eyes are wonky, but also their ears don't even line up. Pretty hosed up.

• Locked thread