Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DC is derided for doing multiple resets to fix continuity that nobody really cares about. The only thing Marvel has done that is close to that is really One More Day, which was derided for being a bad story. This isn't a reboot or a reset or any of those things. Also it's the result of a long term story and not something thrown together at the last minute. The only thing that's really probably going to change is stuff related to the Ultimate universe or other alternate universes seeping into the 616 universe we know.

I don't know anything about Convergence because I've not paid any attention to it as I just don't care for the direction of most of the New 52 stuff I've read but to compare it to the last thing DC did in this realm I doubt we'll be seeing any sweeping negation of years of storylines for major characters here like what happened with the New 52.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah, this is literally the first universe reset Marvel has ever done and they've been building up to it for quite a while.

Except it's not almost definitely not even going to be a reset. That's the point I think people keep missing. I mean they definitely want you to think it is. But it won't be. The fact that there are several titles that won't even tie in and other comments that Alonso has made about them not needing to fix or abandon their continuity. It's just going to be a fun giant crossover with a bunch of really weird alternate universe tie-ins. Which honestly I think is a bigger draw for me than the main series itself. I'm going to waste so much money on tie-ins here. It's like they created an event that caters directly to me as I love wacky alternate universe stories.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SalTheBard posted:

What series are people looking forward to? I think A-Force, Thors, Carol Danvers and the Marvel Corp, AoA and X-Men 92 are what I'm excited about. I'm tangentially interested in Battleground 2099.

Ms. Deadpool's Howling Commandos, A-Force, Thors, 1872, Runaways, Hail Hydra, Secret Wars Journal, Secret Wars Battleworld, Ultimate End, Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders, Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars, Planet Hulk, Squadron Sinister, Weirdworld, Infinity Gauntlet and Hank Johnson Agent of Hydra. But I'll probably end up reading at least the first issue of most if not all of them.

The ones I'm least interested in would be any of the X-Men ones probably.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 6, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

You don't think that this is going to end with a youngish Steve Rogers from somewhere being one of two Caps or man Thor being one of the Thors? You think MIles Morales is going to be the only Spiderman?

Honestly I wouldn't be terribly surprised if in 20 years when we're reading a retrospective of SW some former editor didn't say "Our primary motivation for Secret Wars was to figure out a way to make Nick Fury black".

We've already seen old Cap in a post Secret Wars story. So no it's not going to undo that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Was that in FCBD Avengers? I haven't read that one yet.

Old Steve is at Hank Pym's funeral in Rage of Ultron. In the FCBD Avengers book the only mention of him is that he and Falcon had a major falling out and are no longer on speaking terms.

As for Miles the speculation is that he'll be called Spidey instead of Spider-Man now that he's going to be in the 616 universe.

We know already that Thor is worthy again, but we know he won't be taking the hammer back. Wolverine is the only recent change I could see them walking back in this event and I don't even really think they'll do that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Greg Land drawing a book without normal people in it is kind of the perfect place for him. Like when he was forced to draw The Watcher in Mighty Avengers it looked fine. Stick him on a book with a bunch of robot people or weird aliens.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Can we please have the thread title include *NOT A REBOOT* to cut down on the people being butthurt that they've "wasted their time" being invested in the "previous" Marvel Universe?

I find it funny to count how many people are fooled by marketing actually.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, it'll probably be like a Marvel Handbook type thing with a page breaking down every single region.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

This is all speculation so I'm not spoiling--so since earth was destroyed, is there going to be ANOTHER terrigen mist outbreak around the globe once things are put back together? That's dumb.

In the Uncanny Inhumans preview that's after Secret Wars the same mists that were released by Black Bolt are still slowly making their way around the world. More evidence that everything gets put back to somewhat exactly the same way it was before Secret Wars.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I found this on Twitter, it's the entire Hickman Avengers run in the same layout as his Infinity read order graphic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tensokuu posted:

Yeah Cyclops and the Phoenix egg thing never got touched on in X-Men, but it did pop up in Avengers #38:

The Hickman and Brevoort interview with CBR touched on this a bit. He and Brevoort were very noncommittal on whether it will be touched on in the last X-Men book or not. Seems like they basically are saying that the X-Men run ends right before the time skip and Hickman decided that this is what happens in the interim to get the story to where he wants it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

I honestly have no problem with other writers just rolling their eyes at Bendis sitting around spinning his wheels again and deciding to write his plots moving forward whether that happened or not.

I think it's less that and more that Bendis is telling his own story and with the time skip it doesn't really matter if he leaves it ready to go for Secret Wars. He's probably concentrating more on his own story rather than trying to fit into the event. I think it's better to do that than to force it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ha, I think Bendis stopped telling stories awhile back. He's like the Bizarro counterpart of Hickman, deeply interested in doing character pieces but really, really disinterested in having a plot that goes anywhere.

I quite enjoy All New X-Men. Though I only read Uncanny when there's a multipart crossover as I'm less interested in those characters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SynthOrange posted:

Uuuuuuuuugh I know its only a few more days til the next issue but AAAAAGH I cant take this!

Are all the event books going to be on a weekly schedule?

No, issues three and four will be in June. Issue five in July. Alonso has said the issues will be spaced farther apart the deeper into the event it goes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PupsOfWar posted:

Maybe marvel can be prompted to release some kind of guidebook/sourcebook, the way morrison did for Multiversity and hickman kinda tried to do for East of West.

There is a handbook coming out next month I think. Or the next month.

As for the issue I dug some of it but not other parts. I love Hickman and all this run but I just didn't love this issue at all. Not sure why. Hopefully something clicks for me in the next issue.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

gfanikf posted:

Not to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but where did you hear that?

In the solicitations.

SECRET WARS: OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE #1
Written by THE OHOTMU TEAM, LED BY MIKE O’SULLIVAN & JEFF CHRISTIANSEN
Cover by MIKE McKONE
Worlds are colliding! Both on Battleworld, and in the SECRET WARS OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE #1 – a collection of all-new Profiles! Journey through Marvel’s multiverse:
Old Man Logan! The Ultimate Universe’s Spider-Man (Miles Morales)! The Age of Ultron! Weirdworld! The Spider-Verse event! The Age of Apocalypse’s Nightcrawler! Plus: profiles of the characters and events at the core of the Secret Wars: the Incursions of Earths, Namor’s Cabal, the Future Foundation kids and more! Also featuring key participants in previous Secret Wars: Volcana (Marsha Rosenberg), Thunderball (Eliot Franklin), the healer Zsaji, the Dark Elf Kurse, original Battleworld refugee Puff the dragon, and the Secret Wars II event itself! And because we love you: the Pet Avengers’ Throg, Lady Deadpool, Teen Hulk…and Obnoxio the Clown?!
64 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blind Marvin posted:

well, gently caress.

Look at this way you have a chance to read one of the best runs on a comic in the last decade before you even jump into the Avengers stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blind Marvin posted:

How far back would you recommend someone begin, surely not Dark Reign!?

That is the beginning of Hickman's run yes. It's all on Marvel Unlimited. It's not like his FF run is 200 issues or something. You should be able to knock it out in a few days tops. You could have all of his FF and Avengers/New Avengers read before the next issue of Secret Wars is out easily.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 14, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

kdrudy posted:

To be fair, starting from Dark Reign his FF run is 60 issues.

That's not a huge number of issues though really. You could knock that out in less than a week even if it wasn't the only thing you read.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Caper posted:

Pretty psyched Ant-Man is still coming out unaffected. Are they ever going to release the last issue of Matt Fraction's Hawkeye? I'm not seeing that on the Google Docs list.

Ant-Man is unaffected in that the main title won't tie in. But I believe there's a one shot Last Days book and then after that the book is going to just be on hiatus until after Secret Wars. I could be mistaken on that though and probably am.

There's also a one shot coming out around the movie's release that is set after Secret Wars.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Doom being Doom was one of the things I actually liked about this issue. I didn't much care for the setup of Battleworld as a whole though with Kings and Barons and stuff like that. I just don't care for that angle really. I was kind of hoping for all the battle zone areas to just be people stuck in those areas and not having it be like an actual kingdom with weird hierarchies or whatever. i guess that's just me though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

I love how he's going full on Hickman for this. That mostly blank "Battleworld" page is something he does all the time in his Image stuff.

He does it all the time in his Marvel stuff too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

net cafe scandal posted:

Theres like 40 books.

Yeah it's a lot. But if you have disposable income and it's your only hobby that costs money like it is mine then you can grab a lot of them. I'm looking at buying most of the non X-Men related ones myself, or at least the first issues to try them out. But basically it's like a whole event of What Ifs and I'm a huge What If fan.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Though if each book is bogged down with a bunch of Kings and Barons and stuff like that I probably won't continue grabbing them. I don't really care about politics of the zones at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A Tin Of Beans posted:

That's apparently Ultimate Kitty, though, not 616 Kitty, so she could still be Singularity or dead or whatever.

Nah, it's Age of Apocalypse Kitty.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If Singularity is not a wholly new character, which I suspect she is, then she just might be Geena Drake from Guardians 3000. That book started off pretty terrible but the last few issues were pretty good once they got to the present, teamed up with the current Guardians, and went against Korvac. They keep making a point of how through all of time and all of the multiverses that Geena is singular and exists exactly the same in all different realities.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

jsoh posted:

i thought molecule man was the only universal constant. they made kind of a big deal about that?

I don't remember Hickman saying he was the only constant. Just that he was a constant in every reality and that all of them shared a consciousness and were aware of the others.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 16, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SalTheBard posted:

If you aren't reading East of West I would recommend starting. Hickman is knocking it out of the park on that book as well.

As well as The Dying and The Dead.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Anyone that says he's not good at character must not have read any of his Fantastic Four run. Or very little of his Avengers. It's chock full of character moments.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

KaosMachina posted:

Wasn't there a Black Knight preview in Marvel NOW! that implied that he was basically a drug addict and the drug was his sword?
Did anything ever come of that?

There was an issue of Original Sins where it talked about him going insane because his sword did that to people. But that probably falls under nobody cares, because that's pretty much what anything involving the Black Knight falls into.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Battleworld being an anthology book is great because there's always something good in an anthology book. We need more of those.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I ended up getting all the tie-ins and pretty much enjoyed them all. I was a bit disappointed with the art in A-Force and Spider-Verse but liked the stories. My favorite book was probably Planet Hulk though. Gladiator Captain America and Devil Dinosaur fighting a million Hulks in search of Bucky? Yes please. That's the book that needs to be an ongoing. And the art was awesome. Loved everything about that issue. I also dig how a lot of the books are doing backup stories as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dunbar posted:

I know there is only one week of tie-ins to judge on, but is there any general feeling about whether or not it will be a good idea to read the big events that have tie-ins named after them? For example, I was going to try and read the Planet Hulk, Civil War, etc. events before reading the SW tie-ins, but if it doesn't add anything, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think you need to read the old ones at all really. Unless you want to.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Inferno, Infinity Gauntlet, Inhumans Attilan Rising, MODOK Assassin, Old Man Logan, Secret Wars 2099, Secret Wars Journal, and X-Men '92.

I'll probably grab all of them except X-Men '92 and probably Inferno.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not a huge fan of X-Men anyway and definitely not the '90s X-Men.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man, I love Dustin Weaver. The art in Infinity Gauntlet is gorgeous.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Majuju posted:

I can't find X-Men '92 on Comixology. Is it a regular book or just whatever an "infinite" comic is?

Infinite. It's a digital first book. I think they'll do print later though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought the best today were Infinity Gauntlet, Old Man Logan, and Attilan Rising. But honestly I loved every single tie-in I read today. The only ones I didn't get were X-Men '92 and Inferno. I'm considering grabbing Inferno too because the art in the preview is really quite good even though I'm not big on X-Men heavy books. I even liked the Ennis book and I don't much care for Ennis at all. But I like that it was something completely different. I knew I'd probably dig Secret Wars but so far the event is even better than I thought it would be and I've enjoyed so many of the tie-ins so far I'd already be willing to call this one of the best events I've ever read.

Everyone should buy Infinity Gauntlet. It and Planet Hulk should be ongoing books for like a year.

Also if Old Man Logan continues into the 616 written by Bendis count me in. He's clearly more interested in writing it than anything he's written in a while.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Deadpool book isn't even an actual tie-in. It has the stamp on the front but it doesn't take place in Battleworld and is completely its own thing. I did like it though, mainly for lampooning the ridiculous expository dialogue from the original and from a lot of comics around that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Argue posted:

I liked Where Monsters Dwell a lot, but was I supposed to know what anything or anyone there was? I assume that the dinosaur jungle was the Savage Land? Or is this some really old Marvel property I don't know about?

Phantom Eagle is a very old character and I believe the one in this book is the same one Ennis used for the MAX book he wrote about him.

• Locked thread