Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
What series are people looking forward to? I think A-Force, Thors, Carol Danvers and the Marvel Corp, AoA and X-Men 92 are what I'm excited about. I'm tangentially interested in Battleground 2099.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I didn't know what to expect and somehow it exceeded every expectation I had.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Thanks for posting this. It kind of helped me decide what series I want to read and what I'll skip.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

SynthOrange posted:

Isnt that missing Thor Corps?

http://observationdeck.io9.com/inside-secret-wars-a-look-at-the-battleworld-books-1701934467

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Die Laughing posted:

The stakes have never been higher. What a great time to be a Marvel fan!

Exactly how I feel right now.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

redbackground posted:

The Bad News: The guide to Battleworld in Secret Wars #2 is just the same map we've all seen.

The Good News: 45 pages of straight Hickman/Ribic beauty with only one ad page in the mix.

I was not prepared :negative:

GODDAMNN YOU for posting this. I can't wait for Secret Wars #2 :(

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Roman Herbom posted:

Is Hickman writing anything besides the main book?

If you aren't reading East of West I would recommend starting. Hickman is knocking it out of the park on that book as well.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I've been about a month behind just due to general craziness. Got some books today and I'm sure my thoughts will echo the thread as a whole:

Secret Wars #3 - Great book, this storyline is everything Convergence wanted to be. So pumped for issue #4 and beyond
A-Force #1 - Any book with America Chavez is great. I hope we get to see her on the wall kicking rear end. A-Force has an interesting premise and I'm really excited to see it out
Planet Hulk #1 - Holy gently caress this was awesome and I well continue reading this one and be sad when its over
Secret Wars 2099 #1 - Eh it was ok, I probably won't continue with this one though due to my wife wanting me to pare down my pulllist
Battleworld #1 and #2 - Anthology books are cool, but again probably wont' continue with this one for above reasons
Old Man Logan #1 - Not really sure where this book is going, I'll give #2 a read

I have Infinity Gauntlet #1 and Years of Future Past #1 to read as well, but I'm enjoying this cross over so much. Sorry to interrupt the thread with my month old reactions!

EDIT:

Infinity Gauntlet #1 was weird. I'll give 2 a shot but it was totally different from what I expected
Years of Future Past #1 was exactly what I expected and I can't wait to keep reading it.

I realized that I missed Attilian Rising, how is that book?

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 6, 2015

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

gfanikf posted:

Is Spider Verse any good? It's the only one I'm not getting (atm)? I glanced at the first issue in the comic store, but was a bit nonplussed by it. For what it's worth I didn't like Spider Gwen (never read the event and only read an issue or so) and really never read Spiderman. I did like Renew your vows a lot, but that's a different author.

From the Spider Man thread:

SalTheBard posted:

How is Spider-Verse #1?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Pretty awesome, go get it. Basically spider sense is telling spider-people who they truly were but they can't make sense of it and are trying to figure out what's going on while Osborn, Mayor of NYC, is doing some shady stuff.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Havoc904 posted:

Too bad RTS games aren't much of a thing anymore, I would love to have one based off of Battleworld. Being able to pick a unit based on Doom's Thor team or the Wasteland Ultrons/Zombies and then trying to conquer the map would be really fun.

Man that sounds awesome.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

kdrudy posted:

Old Man Logan and Thors were standouts, Old Man Logan is definitely my favorite of the tie-ins so far.

I'm so confused by OML. I assume he climbed the SHIELD wall, but from the looks of it he was at The Deadlands (Marvel Zombie realm) but then Apocalypse showed up so then that would mean he's more than likely in the Domain of Apocalypse? Are their walls between all the realms? In any of the other tie ins (I've read my share of them) have any of the other characters met alternate versions of themselves? (besides Spider-Verse)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

I asked yesterday but got no answer: what continuity is Nu-topia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Wars_(2015_comic_book)

Someone went through and linked all the continuities with their respective realm

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Sentinel Red posted:

Can we just keep Battleworld for a few years longer? It's just so much more fun.

I feel the same way

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Sentinel Red posted:

All this Summers talk has me wondering...did any version of Cable get saved/make it onto a lifeboat?

Hopefully not because hey, I can't stand the bastard but it's gotten me curious...

There is a version of Cable in Giant Sized Little AvX

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

SirDan3k posted:

To roll with another conspiracy the "When he finds out you stole his life" line makes me think those are 616 Susan, Valeria, and Franklin. As well as it being 616 Ben and Johnny despite being a wall and sun respectively.

Did I miss where it said 616 Ben is the Shield wall?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Well thats convincing

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Senor Candle posted:

Going back to the whole thing with Doom's eyes, from what we saw when he took the mask off, shouldn't the skin around his eyes be way more hosed up?

A coworker pointed out the same thing

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Upper left? It's Blink.

Yeah, AoA was good in a 90s way, and I think it's tying into Old Man Logan, though having not read that, I can't be sure. Just basing on what you guys have been talking about. It's a little interesting that Emma is on the AoA X-Men since in the original AoA event she was lobotomized and working with the human resistance.

I really liked Civil War. Way more than I expected.

The kids of Marville seem to have more legitimate reasons to fight than the actual AvX event. (Finally got around to reading this.)

The last few pages of X-Men '92 killed me. I'm dead.

I really like Giant Sized LIttle Marvel AvX a lot more than I thought I would. I love any and all things Skottie Young so I'm not surprised.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Son of Rodney posted:

Ok I dip in and out of marvel comics every other years or so and now this thing happened. So, all the stories written before in their respective universes now end, and most of everything dies/dies/what? Can someone give me a summary or link one because I have never been more lost with any of the grander marvel stories.

But basically that means that from this on out there will not be any of the classic marvel settings left but something new called the battleworld or something?

The main story ran in Hickmans Avengers / New Avengers. Basically Earths are crashing into each other (called Incursions). The Illuminati keeps this fact a secret. Eventually Capt America (who was mind wiped after the first Incursion) remembers what is going on and organizes a group called the "Shield Avengers" to take out the Illuminati. In the background of all of this Dr. Doom (who saw an Incursion in Latervia), is informed by the Molecule Man that they Beyonders (from the original Secret Wars) have programmed Molecule Men across the multiverses to act as bombs. Doom and MM travel the multiverses killing different versions of Molecule Man. In each Universe Doom creates a safe house called "The Library". The next part is murky but he uses some sort of power stored up in the Libraries and throws it at the Beyonders, fade to white. The final Incursion happens between 616 Earth and 1610 (Ultimate) Earth. Groups of heroes make it off their respective planets before the final Incursion finishes, fade to white and then Secret Wars starts with Doom ruling over Battleworld. It hasn't been revealed yet how Battleworld was actually formed, but we have like 2 more months of Secret Wars books.

My brief synopsis leaves out a ton of awesome stuff that actually happened in Hickmans Avengers / NA. I hope when they release this run in omnibus form they actually release it in reading order because "Time Runs Out" is really fun and really loving awesome.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

DrProsek posted:

I'm just going to post it here because it doesn't really contain anything spoilery and it's hard to appreciate the horror of that page without understanding that when you say the dialogue snakes around, it goes back and forth across the page 4 times, isn't a plot-important conversation and isn't a particularly good character building moment for anyone involved.

For context, this is Colossus speaking to his daughter as Wovlerine's son/her boyfriend stares on;

(Click for bigger version)

I literally skipped that page in the book because I started reading it and was like "Yaaa gently caress that..."

EDIT: This dialogue starts because Colossus's Daughter makes a joke about never having kids

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Age of Apocalypse was pretty good. Best of the X-Men stories so far.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

I wasn't current on Avengers/NA when it was going down, but was the general opinion is that the 616 Illuminati were a bunch of spineless whiners who couldn't do what needed to be done and it's a good God drat thing Namor stood up and took care of it? Not blowing up the other planets wasn't going to save the other planet it was just going to mean that two whole universes got destroyed.

That was the overall vibe, also people thought it was stupid that the Illuminati didn't involve the larger 616 universe.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

So my LCS got in reprints of SW #3, but they're all finished backwards. The front cover is where the back should be, and its not like manga were you read it right to left, the pages are still properly oriented. I wonder if that's intentional or some printing screw up.

My LCS had those too. The owner said all the reprints are done that way on purpose.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Unmature posted:

What? Why? To identify them as reprints? Why not just put something on the cover? Like the word "reprint".

Unless I'm confused with what Twistedmentat is talking about my LCS had a whole loving stack selling at cover price.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

If we are talking about "Good main story, lovely tie ins" I would put Infinity in that group. Maybe it was because I was snakebit after Age of Ultron (I bought every tie-in book for that story) but I didn't hear much praise for any of the Infinity tie-ins. That being said Infinity is so loving awesome. I read that story without reading any of the Avengers / New Avengers stuff and I was confused as hell for the most part, but it motivated me to go back and read A/NA get on that train early.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Unmature posted:

I love Tony and Steve just volleying totally nonthreatening petty attacks at each other.

In the event was Bucky on Tony's side? I can't remember.

Also I want an ongoing that goes through that entire drat timeline Tony showed Jen. Every point on there sounds amazing.

I was a little confused on the last few pages of that issue. I'm assuming it was Captain America that dropped troops into the Iron but where the gently caress did Daredevil come from all of a sudden?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

It all started with the Bearenstien Bears thing. I knew it!

I'm gonna start praying to LORD GOD DOOM Now

Our Doom is an awesome Doom, may he not crush us for our sins
Our Doom is a loving Doom, May be stay his wrath
Our Doom is a glorious god, and Reed Richards Stinks.
Our Doom is a handsome god, do what he'll say or you'll see the Thors

Berenstain Bears

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

SynthOrange posted:

What are the stinkers then? Inferno, Korvac have been outright bleagh.

Years of Future Past hasn't been very good. Most of the X-Men ones have been fair, except for Age of Apocalypse which is really good.

Top 5 for me (in no particular order)
1) Planet Hulk
2) Old Man Logan
3) Siege
4) Thors
5) Spider-Verse / Renew Your Vows

very high on my list are Infinity Gauntlet, A-Force, and Civil War. I have really high hopes for House of M as well.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Mars4523 posted:

I only have a vague sketch of what's happening in the larger Marvel universe, but I'm really liking Star Lord and Kitty Pryde, and not just because of that dress.

So that book is about 616 Quill and Kitty? That seems fun

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

El Tortuga posted:

That's good to know.

Is Hickman's F4/FF run that essential, or can I just go into Avengers? I can already tell the answer will be yes, but I've never been that into the F4 on their own and enjoy them much more in their interactions with the rest of the Marvel universe.

As someone who only read A/NA I would say No. That being said I feel like there is stuff I'm missing with Valeria and the Future Foundation in the newest issue of Secret Wars

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

SynthOrange posted:

loving secret wars is devastating my weekly comic budget.

I told my wife "Ya this Summer Marvel is doing an event, and most of the titles don't really interest me so I won't be spending that much this summer!" She's like :toot:. Then I started reading about all the tie ins and how awesome they sound and I was like :aaaaa: and now I'm spending between 20 and 30 a week. If this even goes on much longer divorce might be in my future, but it would be worth it!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Spiffster posted:

Oh and if anyone wants to try out this code that was in one of the issues for a free digital copy of house of M go ahead. Not sure if it was redeemed yet but :shrug:

Thmab61sgf4u

Edit oh if you do find the codes been used or not please post

Code has already been redeemed :(

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I've been about 6 weeks behind on books so I just am getting caught up. I thought Planet Hulk ended with a thud. Renew your Vows was pretty good. I'm reading Spider-Verse right now and man am I loving the art on that book, does Andre Araujo draw anything else?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Getting caught up on Secret Wars books:

Ms Marvel :smith:
Thors :science:
Age of Apocalypse :shroom:
X-Men '92 :awesome:
Infinity Gauntlet :eyepop:
Siege :eyepop:

Edit:
Attilian Rising - Enjoyed the last 2 issues, but I thought the build was kind of slow. The ending though was pretty dope.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 7, 2015

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Senor Candle posted:

Also, kind of a warning for people reading stuff tomorrow. I would recommend reading siege before you read secret wars if you plan on reading both.

Thank you for this. Siege 4 was amazing.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Can someone explain Years of the Future Past? I didn't understand it at all.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

SynthOrange posted:

Well, Weirdworld ended, and also shows one part of the ending for Secret Wars too. :stare:

Spoilers?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Did Giant Sized Little Marvel finish?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

goldenoreos posted:

It did a couple of months ago. I thought the end was cute.

Hmmm I must have missed the last issue. Last thing I saw was the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and the Inhumans showing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Dunbar posted:

It's a shame the delays killed all the momentum for this. I'll always believe that if they'd managed to keep to their plan and run the event in its entirety from May-Sept and launch all the new #1s in the first week of October, it would be remembered as one of the great events ever (I know, not a high bar to clear). As it is, having 3 of the 9 issues of the main series published after 95% of the event was finished mooted the entire thing, even if the central story has always been great, at least to me.

Also, I think if you take the Avengers/New Avengers arc and Secret Wars main series as one long story, it'll stand up to re-reading as well as any major arc or story that I'm aware of.

At this point I'm pretty over Secret Wars despite really loving it at the start. The delay really killed it for me as well. In hindsight it was a great story but the wait killed it.

• Locked thread