Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Even though it's tangentially a sequel to Secret Wars, this entire event is the kind of thing DC is reviled for constantly doing. The fact that they happen to be doing yet another one at the same time doesn't do much to discourage the comparisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah but Marvel tends to be way more competent than DC. I'm interested to see if they can do the continuity reset in a compelling way.

It would be the first time it's ever been accomplished.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah, this is literally the first universe reset Marvel has ever done and they've been building up to it for quite a while.

Your first heart attack ain't better cuz your uncle's had 6.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Loeb stabbed the ultimate universe in the heart and it's been crawling along to its grave ever since.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I kinda miss when something could end without the cast just getting nuked. You could just imagine they were still having adventures together, they just weren't being published anymore.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

If they bring Xavier back I hope they lay low on the he was an rear end in a top hat in the past stories. The well's dry, y'all.

It wasn't a very good well to begin with, either.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wonder if the writers know black panthers aren't a real animal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Considering I'm pretty sure that was a Bast reference, I'm not certain it matters.

Oh yeah, I forgot Hickman retconned it so that both Wakanda and Egypt were only civilized because of divine intervention by the same deity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skip War of Kings.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

His Doom isn't nearly detestable enough.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Starsnostars posted:

Doom did have to be talked down from wiping out the entire Braddock bloodline in this issue.

That sounds like a public service to me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I know that's probably just a generic zombie symbiote, but I'm going to choose to believe it's Riot's appearance in this crossover.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rirse posted:

I hope since they are owned by Disney that Scrooge McDuck and Darkwing Duck are there along with Howard and any duck version of marvel heroes.

That reminds me, when the buyout was announced, someone made a huge awesome fan piece with tons of Disney and Marvel characters interacting, and my favorite detail was Howard showing Donald a dirty magazine and Donald's hat flying off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nah man, that's pretty on point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I find Hickman and Morrison share many of the same writing flaws. It's actually pretty easy to avoid their writing and read good stuff instead, so my life is actually filled with joy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

It's weird that you never express it, then.

I'm constantly posting about how much I love Ms. Marvel, man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I feel like a lot of writers who've written Dr. Strange recently have never actually read his books before. They just saw a couple of his guest appearances in Avengers books and were like "No sweat, I got this poo poo!"

Maybe that's not fair, though. That's probably just true of Bendis.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I think Matt Fraction really understood him in his The Defenders relaunch, especially the part where he scares Betty Ross out of her Red She-Hulk form.

Didn't Fraction run with the recent trend of Strange being a sex perv who sleeps with co-eds? I know he didn't start that, but still.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

He sleeps with a co-ed and then is kinda an rear end in a top hat to her, but the ending is him going back in time and taking her out for coffee after, and maybe dating her further, thus negating all the other events in the book so it's sorta a story about learningnot to be an rear end in a top hat.

See, my issue with that is that Dr. Strange is a character who's supposed to have completed that personal journey. That's the whole point of who he is, compared to who someone like Spider-man is. I'm not saying he shouldn't ever stumble or have personal flaws, but he's been written an awful lot like MCU Tony Stark these past years and it just strikes me as people not being good enough writers to make a guy who isn't petty and blatantly flawed an interesting character.

There are other steps in the hero's journey than the first third.

Ah, whatever, no one cares. The first Iron Man movie made more money than all of Dr Strange's comics combined.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What saddens me is that it's very well known that everyone who comes to Marvel has a Dr. Strange pitch, to the point that they've been known to preface interviews with writers with "Please no Dr. Strange pitch". Doing the character justice doesn't sell, apparently.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Oath is really good but even that had Dr. Strange spend the entire story really pissed off and throwing things and condescending to everyone, which is a bit off from how he's usually portrayed. Obviously circumstances were dire, but still.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You have to understand, back then Cap was just as "unproven" as any other random character that showed up to befriend the Avengers. They were trying to see who would work and who wouldn't as part of the team or their own ongoing, and that's how a ton of Avengers now considered mainstays got started.

This weird idea of focusing on the "real" Avengers is a very modern one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Trapped in a world he never made!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

No, I meant what's her name, Karolina? Her powers were light projection and flight.

It's not great that Marvel has 2 gay characters who have rainbow powers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think they're mostly just stumbling around trying to regain their balance, not feeling pain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

People are losing their poo poo about it on 4chan.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Sounds like it was a good choice, then.

No foolin. You know what they've been calling the new Thor, right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Is it Twhore?

Close. It's Whor. And it's literally the only way they'll refer to her.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, a lot of the Asgardian pantheon were made into bigger assholes recently, but Zeus was always a huge dick.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spider-bitch being black and also a total piece of poo poo that you're supposed to want to see die is the most Millar thing I can think of.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

But then they can't market it as an ALL NEW NUMBER ONE COLLECTOR'S ITEM!!!, and that's the entire reason they do that crap.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's a little weird, I never noticed that problem in his older work. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really liked the relationship between Hulkling and Wiccan in the original Young Avengers, because it develops totally organically, what with them being friendly to each other, saving each other's rear end in battle a couple times, flirting, etc, but since they're both dudes, you don't really register any of it as the obvious signs of a budding romance unless you're actually looking for it. It's obvious once you re-read it, and if they were a boy and a girl it'd be impossible to miss. It's some clever writing!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spider-man's wall-sticking powers were explained as bioelectically-generated static cling in the handbooks. Probably due to a combination of finger hairs being super gross and painful and how Spidey always has gloves on.

I never really questioned how sticking to walls "works", though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

Did I miss where it said 616 Ben is the Shield wall?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gatts posted:

I think we're over doing on the coloring and art, it's not gonna be so exact. It's still Doom but I do like the idea that Stephen is the one who is keeping everything in check and Doom is like a figurehead.

If you want someone like Doom on your team, you have to make him think it's his idea and that he's in charge. Loki figured this out in the 80s.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I wish this plan had succeeded, but the end result was modest but consistent improvement in infrastructure or food safety or something. Like for all his mad scientist gifts, Doom's greatest talent is navigating mundane government bureaucracy.

According to Emperor Doom, he's really not well-suited for that kind of work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

No, I don't want him in charge of the world, I want him as director of HUD or secretary of transportation, something like that.

And I'm telling you, the paperwork made him give up world domination, getting a job that's ONLY paperwork would give him a nervous breakdown.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gynovore posted:

Also they swapped Cloak and Dagger's codenames and powers for some reason.

God drat it, they didn't retcon that away or just ignore it? loving Nick Spencer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

This may be a slight derail, but didn't Marvel fire Greg Land? How is he still doing work for them?

Not that I know of. There was a slight kerfuffle when one of their cover artists directly traced a photographer's work and Marvel got sued, and Joe Q (or someone) gave a press conference saying tracing would NOT be tolerated at Marvel, but it was really obviously insincere damage control.

I remember the person who told the photographer Marvel had ripped off his work posted about it in BSS, and everyone shat on him for "snitching", which was pretty funny considering how much hate Land gets here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TNG posted:

I also thought it was funny that Lenli Yu managed to sneak Howard the Duck into ANOTHER big battle scene.

I can't believe Bendis told him to stop doing that.

• Locked thread