Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Even though it's tangentially a sequel to Secret Wars, this entire event is the kind of thing DC is reviled for constantly doing. The fact that they happen to be doing yet another one at the same time doesn't do much to discourage the comparisons.

Yeah but Marvel tends to be way more competent than DC. I'm interested to see if they can do the continuity reset in a compelling way. The "constantly" is the key problem there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The book beginning and ending with Doom is making me think Battleworld will be his thing and Reed/Maker/Survivors end up there. I don't think Ultimate Reed cares enough about other universes to try to save any of them.

Cyclops owned. Punisher owned.

Susan dying pretty much ruined my day/week/year.

Dead Rocket was the worst for me :smith: Oh and also Marvel Universe 1961-2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also really glad Ribic is doing art on this book, I love his stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Uh, so The Punisher logo is on the last page. I can't imagine it's not significant.

Skulls also mean death.

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah, the knowledge that every issue is at least going to have art as good as this one is really comforting. Especially coming out of Avengers/New Avengers.

Fuckin Deodato man...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Deodato wasn't even the worst imo.

You don't like Lenlil Yu?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

There is nothing that will ever make me care about this multiversal poo poo. I just hope that it doesn't gently caress over the books that I'm reading. If I wanted to read stories that would every so often be thrown away like so much garbage in order to repeat the same basic points over again, I'd read DC.

You are aware that this is the first time Marvel has done this, if in fact it is even what they are doing.

Codependent Poster posted:

I wonder if Phoenix-Cyclops will be the new status quo after Secret Wars. Keep the young Scott around as Cyclops, and rename the old Scott as Phoenix.

Pretty excited to see him in a major role.

So like, they haven't talked about this Phoenix Egg in mainline X-books at all huh?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It seems kind of odd to me that Scott Summers was on the lifeboat list, unless that was a last minute audible by Manifold.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Little Mac posted:

Yeah I think Cyclops just teleports himself there. Also why did Manifold teleport Star-Lord onto the ship?

Because Guardians made $800 million at the box office.

Also, I thought that they had made a huge rear end list of people who were going on the lifeboat, based on the "Is Tony going or not" debate in the last Avengers book, and Manifold was supposed to complete that list if everything went to hell.

Codependent Poster posted:

Manifold didn't choose, his power is based on need. At that time, his powers were just picking up people who were "needed."

Ah that's right.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gfanikf posted:

Can someone explain when Scott got his PhD and also what the deal with the Phoenix Egg?

Colossus laid it before he lost his powers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although they've pulled the "saving the multiverse line" plenty of times before, and it's never been interesting to me. Last time I remember was in X-Treme X-Men, where they had to plug up a hole in the multiverse because it turns out it the space between universes there's a bunch of big burly guys who tried to punch out all of existence .

Superheroes saving the world :monocle:

Probably a lot of what is driving the continuity clean up is that Marvel wants people who like the movies to be able to get into the comics as well, and see characters familiar to them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Except there's no way in hell Captain America or Thor is going to look like their movie counterpart at the end of this.

You don't think that this is going to end with a youngish Steve Rogers from somewhere being one of two Caps or man Thor being one of the Thors? You think MIles Morales is going to be the only Spiderman?

Honestly I wouldn't be terribly surprised if in 20 years when we're reading a retrospective of SW some former editor didn't say "Our primary motivation for Secret Wars was to figure out a way to make Nick Fury black".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

We've already seen old Cap in a post Secret Wars story. So no it's not going to undo that.

Was that in FCBD Avengers? I haven't read that one yet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TNG posted:

I think I'm interested in Secret Wars because it will allow a lot of different creators the chance to tell interesting stories with lots and lots of alternate versions of mostly static characters. It's like 4 months of What-Ifs? and Elseworlds. M.O.D.O.K. is going to be a fixture in like 4 books for God's sake!

Yeah I'm really excited for The Agwengers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

io9 has a write up about the tie-ins that goes a bit more in depth than the solicits.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing I got from Cyclops in #1 was for all his posturing and ostensible regret over the death of Xavier, as well as his denial of causing it, he really loves having the Phoenix Force.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

The X-Men one sounds plausible in comparison but the F4 sounds completely insane. There is like a 0% chance Hickman does that.

What's implausible? Johnny's dated Inhumans before and Ben has gone on roving solo space adventures before.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

There is a 0% chance Hickman actually kills Franklin and Valeria. How is that not the thing that stuck out to you?

Yeah but Reed and Sue might think they are dead for a long time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I'm genuinely surprised they didn't shove a recap page in there. I feel like one would not have been remiss. On my first read, I was hyped as hell, but on a reread I tried to see it as someone without context would and ... there's a loose framework of what's going on, but Maker Reed and all that is just like "yup, here's this stuff!"

It's so weird.

Unrelated: I love Hickman's love for white pages with ominous-as-gently caress light grey text. :allears: It's here, it's in East of West, I feel like I've seen it in some of his other poo poo. It just pleases me a lot, assuming it's not coincidence.

I was trying to explain where Namor is right now to a friend and it took like half an hour.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doc Aquatic posted:

I'm getting in on this, and I want to catch up on Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity, but the read order link isn't working. does anyone have a working version?

There's one in the back of every Infinity issue.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah has a major crossover ever had this much set up?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All of Infinity and up to Avengers #37 and NA #25.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

What zoux said. The last eight issues of each series aren't included on the service yet, and as you might expect, neither is Secret Wars #1. Also, the annuals are separated into their own series for whatever reason.

If you weren't aware, you can actually browse every Marvel series on their website and then check to see if individual issues are on Unlimited. They'll have the Unlimited logo in the lower righthand corner of each cover's thumbnail if they're available, or you can filter to just show issues on the service by checking the "Marvel Unlimited" checkbox next to the Sort & Filter dropdown menu.

Last six. You'd have to buy 12 issues to catch up fully.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

:confused:

33 − 25 = 8 and 44 − 37 = 7, so Avengers #34.2 makes it 8 a piece unless I'm missing something. Unlimited is 6 months behind – not 6 issues – so the double-shipped months of January/April and November/March account for the two additional issues per series.

You're right.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ultimates 3/Ultimatum are pretty consistently on everyone's "Worst Comic Runs of All Time" list. They are atrocious.

I think the Evil Reed/City stuff is in Hickman's later Ultimates run.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cannonball and Sunspot are great in the run up. Da Costa buying AIM is loving perfect.

Though, how the gently caress did they end up on the Avengers Machine in the first place?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How many times has Xavier been crippled into paraplegia? Even his son got it!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I'm not caught all the way up on All-New X-men okay!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So do we think that Doom created his denizens out of the aether or that he brought them from somewhere? Like what universe are those Braddocks from?

Also this reveal:

Oh hey is that Thor? Oh it's a bunch of Thors ok...who's making all those Thors?

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 13, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Caidin posted:

To be honest the first thing I wanna know right now is what happened to Miles. He jumped on the ultimate raft didn't he?

The preview cover of the next issue is a pretty big clue to that, I think.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think this would be better if we were just dropped into Battle World out of the blue without the... uh... six years? Of buildup.

Right now we ostensibly know what happened while waiting for everyone else to figure it out, in addition to having a pretty strong idea about what WILL happen: but can you imagine reading this poo poo with minimal to no lead-in? Just boom, first issue (instead of second), page 2, there's an army of Thors, who worship Dr. Doom, who is considered a god?

Better for who?

What's up with all the concern for the hypothetical brand new reader. I mean, we all read the lead up right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jiro posted:

Or if he even could control creating Battleworld. Why the gently caress would you even have a zone specifically for Ultron AIs, Marvel Zombies, and the goddamn Annihilation Wave, when you're whole thing is to remake a world under your complete control. Unless he keeps those around in order to periodically invade and keep everyone else in line which means he keeps in contact with them. Anyone else notice that Susan was back in her Future Foundation uniform as was Doom being in white, when he was made stupid.

Barbarians at the gates are a powerful tool for maintaining order.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gatts posted:

I highly recommend you start with Avengers Disassembled then to House of M then to Civil War then to World War Hulk then to the Illuminati Mini and Secret Invasion then through Dark Reign then to Siege and progress to Hickman's SHIELD, Ultimate Fantastic Four and Fantastic Four and Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity to Secret War. That should pretty much cover everything you need to understand why the Marvel universe is the way it is, relationships, etc. and will know what's going on and why and how.

If you're confused about Cyclops and the Phoenix stuff, then start with Endsong, House of M, go to Messiah Complex into Avengers vs X-Men and Bendis' X-Men to know what's up.

Yessss...bury yourself in comics.

Careful...I did this and now I'm weird.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Skip War of Kings.

That's just gonna make him wonder where the hell Havok is, better be safe and read everything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The Magneto Last Days was kind of blah.

How much are the Last Days books focusing on incursion stuff?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

While we're on the subject, what are the good Strange minis/runs? I looked in MU and I'm not sure he's had an ongoing in decades.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Is Wonderman even around right now? I skipped out on later Bendis Avengers so I didn't read those issues but I haven't seen him in anything in years.

Last time I saw him he was wholly contained within Rogue.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I got Planet Hulk, Battleworld and Ultimate End.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is Ultimate End poo poo? That's really the only one I think I care about.

I'm not current on Ultimate universe so I dunno if the circumstances that led up to it are laid out in the leadup books or if it's in medias re as gently caress. But it's a lot of talking and set up.

Of the three, Battleworld was the best. It's a two-story anthology comic ala A+X.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 20, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bagley's gonna give you strange faces.

So, Ultimate End, is all that out of the blue or was it set up in other books?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Not to mention, Scott and Peter should be on the Illuminati's life raft, while 616 Tony should be dead.

Yeah this was what confused me as well.

It's a drat good thing they are all speaking in a different font or I wouldn't know which universe half of them were from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I do love how Doom just straight slouches on his tree throne like he's loving Conan.

• Locked thread