Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keepitlikeitwas
Oct 14, 2012
After fighting for close to a decade and a half in the Global War on Terror, what do you know about terrorism? I only ask, because of an article I read by David Rapaport titled “The Four Waves of Terrorism” that challenged my preconceived and experiential notions about terrorism in the States, Europe, and other parts of the world.

Rapaport’s article focuses on the history of terrorism, and doesn't offer a universal definition (if there is one). For the sake of discussion, here is the one I’ve been using lately: Terrorism is a violent extension of fundamental belief. The Rapoport article is below.

http://international.ucla.edu/media/files/Rapoport-Four-Waves-of-Modern-Terrorism.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keepitlikeitwas
Oct 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

not having made egypt to india a glass parking lot is terrorism, namaste

Thats some uber fundamentalist thinking.

keepitlikeitwas
Oct 14, 2012

Fucitol posted:

us.

we are all the terrorists when u think bout it

I don't see it. The common theme among terrorists (anarchists of the 1800s, anti-colonials, relgious) is an unwavering, uncompromising fundamentalist belief that eventually leads to violence.

Soldiers, unlike the demographic mentioned above, are rarely uncompromising. At least the ones I serve(ed) with. Theres are always a few exceptions (usually from Texas), however, the majority can be reasoned with.

• Locked thread