Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I keep wondering if the buildings would really look like they do in this anime from a simple plague that wiped out adults. Maybe the Horseman-thingies are uprooting whole buildings? Also, how are the Horseman-thingies explained? Vampires. Sure. We get vampires. Plague that kills only adults. Check.

Giant thingies that kill people called "The Four Horsemen of" something. What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dan7el posted:

I keep wondering if the buildings would really look like they do in this anime from a simple plague that wiped out adults. Maybe the Horseman-thingies are uprooting whole buildings? Also, how are the Horseman-thingies explained? Vampires. Sure. We get vampires. Plague that kills only adults. Check.

Giant thingies that kill people called "The Four Horsemen of" something. What?

Watch Life After People, it would only take a few years without maintenance for buildings built within the last 30 years to start collapsing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Another meh episode. I feel like they're squandering :black101: potential.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ViggyNash posted:

Another meh episode. I feel like they're squandering :black101: potential.

Eh, I feel it's an important episode to establish what the power gap actually is. We went from Unarmed Vampire as Clearly More Powerful than a Human with a Sword (albeit you can hold your own for a short while) to establishing that Humans With Cursed Gears > Vampires with "Normal" weapons but Noble/Elite Vampires Curbstomp even Humans with Cursed Gear.

100% This is how Sasuke should've been.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

So, from what I can gather, the three boys have "black" gear which is the highest form of cursed weaponry. I'm guessing the two girls don't have black gear and aren't as powerful as the boys?

I don't think the story has really given us a good breakdown of the difference in power between the various types of weapons. All we really know is that the black gear is "the bomb" and then there is "the rest."

Also, Crowley being called away like that at the last moment was awfully convenient for our heroes.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I'm pretty sure everyone in the squad has the black gear. What I'd like to know is why their commander's sword is read and black and not green and black, like the other black gears.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Eh, I feel it's an important episode to establish what the power gap actually is. We went from Unarmed Vampire as Clearly More Powerful than a Human with a Sword (albeit you can hold your own for a short while) to establishing that Humans With Cursed Gears > Vampires with "Normal" weapons but Noble/Elite Vampires Curbstomp even Humans with Cursed Gear.

100% This is how Sasuke should've been.

We didn't need a whole episode of bland combat and silly drama (except for that bit with the car, that was fun) to be shown only that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ViggyNash posted:

We didn't need a whole episode of bland combat and silly drama (except for that bit with the car, that was fun) to be shown only that.

The car scene was a mastery of comedic timing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

KillerQueen posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone in the squad has the black gear. What I'd like to know is why their commander's sword is read and black and not green and black, like the other black gears.

I would assume officers get extra-special-badass stuff. The black gear (which, yes, the whole of this squad has) just seems to be standard for front-line shock troops (while the regular line-holding grunts get stuck with less cool stuff).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
They did mention a new mechanic near the end of the episode, so lets see how that helps.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ViggyNash posted:

They did mention a new mechanic near the end of the episode, so lets see how that helps.

It's been hinted at a few times now as the protag got those marks before.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is it just me or are the female MCs getting shafted by the male MCs in typical shounen fashion? Or does it stay even?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Is it just me or are the female MCs getting shafted by the male MCs in typical shounen fashion? Or does it stay even?

Seems to me that that's happening. I've been less than enthused about these last couple episodes. The standard shounen tropes are threatening to overcome the little spark of creativity this has.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The car scene alone made this episode great, even though they could have sped up the extermination before that. Based on the preview of the next episode it almost felt like they botched the pacing a little because they didn't want to cut up the upcoming bits.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Car bit was good. The first half was awful, though. Swing sword; pause and lower weapons, as it's time to talk; raise weapons; repeat. Really bad direction.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Grouchio posted:

Seems fairly even, the guys do outnumber the girls on Team Protagonist so by the numbers the male MC's will probably get more screen time, buuuut Shinoa is drat memorable and steals the spotlight in every scene.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Seems fairly even, the guys do outnumber the girls on Team Protagonist so by the numbers the male MC's will probably get more screen time, buuuut Shinoa is drat memorable and steals the spotlight in every scene.

Agreed. Shinoa could probably wreck everyone but Yu given that she's far more experienced with the demon weapons and also not dumb. She can't touch Yu because he's got shounen protag powers, nothing she can do about that

Ultimately, we really haven't seen enough decent combat to judge anyone so this is a silly argument.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This is a surprisingly good show in a stacked spring season. The setting was a slow cook, but it turned out well in concert with the team interactions.

It also helps that it has the greatest character of any show this season. Shinoa's trolling is spectacular. She would probably be a guild leader for Goon Squad in some MMO.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This show is entertaining as hell, when you have a bunch of vampires rocking assault helicopters and 9/11ing Wall Maria. Mindless titans these are not. A thinking, reacting opponent is scary.

Also, just to pre-empt a possible train of discussion, the Imperial Demon Army is probably themed after the IJA. Nothing pernicious or nationalist, the author probably just thinks it looks cool. Plus the IDA is opportunistic and shady as gently caress, they are one of the suspects for the whole plague thing, or saw it coming and did nothing to stop it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

This show is entertaining as hell, when you have a bunch of vampires rocking assault helicopters and 9/11ing Wall Maria. Mindless titans these are not. A thinking, reacting opponent is scary.

Also, just to pre-empt a possible train of discussion, the Imperial Demon Army is probably themed after the IJA. Nothing pernicious or nationalist, the author probably just thinks it looks cool. Plus the IDA is opportunistic and shady as gently caress, they are one of the suspects for the whole plague thing, or saw it coming and did nothing to stop it.

Also, they give their child soldiers demon-possessed weapons that keep trying to snack on their souls and then dope them up on organ-exploding doompills. So there's that.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So Krul mentioned something about "turning into a demon" during that flashback with Mika. I'm not sure if she meant that literally, but if so, could it be that the demons that become Cursed Gears are actually the degenerated souls of vampires that refused to suck blood, or some similar cause? Just some speculation, idk if that's the case.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

That's what I was thinking too. There was that one starving vampire earlier in the season that was being "experimented" on.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

ViggyNash posted:

So Krul mentioned something about "turning into a demon" during that flashback with Mika. I'm not sure if she meant that literally, but if so, could it be that the demons that become Cursed Gears are actually the degenerated souls of vampires that refused to suck blood, or some similar cause? Just some speculation, idk if that's the case.

They probably turn into those horseman monsters.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well that was a certainly interesting way for them to meet up.

Odds on both Mika and Guren kicking the bucket or we in Bleach "horizontal slash" territory? Guren doesn't really give me Obi Wan vibes.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

can we please have blondie former-friend turn into one of these for the mc for horror value.
...this is probably the wrong show if I want grimdark isn't it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, that was one hell of a budget episode. It was comprehensible enough to seem pre-planned, but Wit really does have a problem with episodes 9-12 of its shows.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

junopsis posted:

can we please have blondie former-friend turn into one of these for the mc for horror value.
...this is probably the wrong show if I want grimdark isn't it.

It looks like there is going to be some horror value anyway if the preview is anything to go by.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Sam Faust posted:

It looks like there is going to be some horror value anyway if the preview is anything to go by.

The only horror is the animation budget. :gonk:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Isn't Shinoa nominally in charge of their squad? Everyone seems to listen to Yuu just because he's the main character.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Isn't Shinoa nominally in charge of their squad? Everyone seems to listen to Yuu just because he's the main character.

They listen to Yuu because they need to plan around what that dumbass does.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm very surprised that no one's talked about this season's climax yet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Guren, please stop making the fascist paedophile vampire sound like the reasonable party in your conversation.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I actually thought the show would do something really ballsy and off Yu's team. The direction really made it sound like that was going to happen.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Any gif of Yuu spew?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well that was a certainly interesting way for them to meet up.

Odds on both Mika and Guren kicking the bucket or we in Bleach "horizontal slash" territory? Guren doesn't really give me Obi Wan vibes.

No, Guren has his own prequel light novel going on and we need a complete band of heroes for our shounen anime.

One of the few instances that manga > anime for art-wise as most of the battle scenes which were meant to be frightening ended up being so but for the wrong reasons :v:

Also, Slaine's VA makes another cameo appearance as yet another angsty young man.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
What a dumb show. Fun, though.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Largepotato posted:

Any gif of Yuu spew?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This is a very stupid show. Sometimes, it's gloriously stupid: magic bows versus attack choppers and explosive-laden cargo planes. Other times, it's infuriatingly stupid: how does your AoT-inspired walled city even supply itself with food in the middle of Tokyo?

Yet at the same time, there is a grain of something extremely clever within it.

At this point, I'm convinced that the Vampires are a metaphor for the western world. From their clothes, to how they utilise technology, to even their weapons (rapiers versus katanas). The vampires are clearly bad guys, they are aristocrats ruling over chattel slaves, who can arbitrarily detain and kill anyone they like.

Yet at the same time, they are being unfairly scapegoated (hell, the ED is titled "Scapegoat") for the world end plagues. All the evidence thus far points towards the detente between vampire and the humans being broken by the humans, forcing the vampires to step forward from the shadows to personally oppress and safeguard their food source.

Is it a metaphor for the legacy of Showa era Imperial Japan conspiring and biding their time for the right opportunity to seize the world once again? Did Imperial japan do nothing wrong? Why does the IDA merrily violate 20th century social norms about sex and drugs and black magick? Are humans the True Monsters? Or are vampires and humans fundamentally the same and do both sides deserve to coexist? I don't know.

Also, unlike Tokyo Ghoul, the Vampires aren't loving idiots and actually know how to use their strengths and weaknesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Awesome, thanks.

• Locked thread