Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Hi, I'm dumb, have no money, and I'm almost 30 and tired of making sandwhiches for 8.50/hour. I was considering an HVAC or machinist program. Aside from selling drugs or robbing people, what is a good career path? I don't want to join the military. Willing to answer personal questions to better steer myself to at least like a 60-70k/year job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Just like for every other person on the planet, the answer is coding.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Not to sound like the manbaby I most certainly am... where do you even begin with that path?

E: Would I need a degree, or is it more like a trade program? Again, no money, so I can't afford to go for school for 2+ years.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 6, 2015

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
There are a plethora of free resources online to learn any type of programming you'd want to do.

https://www.codecademy.com is probably a decent place as any to start.

I typically go against this BFC standard advice because coding isn't for everyone. Also if we have another dot-com style "tech bubble" burst the market is going to be over saturated with programmers. It feels like you can just replace "website" with "apps" and you pretty much have the same bubble.

People will probably disagree with me.

There is no easy path to a $60k-$70k a year job.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
*never mind, degree required*

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 6, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I was going to type out a big long effort post on how to accomplish what you want to do, but I'm not getting the feeling from your post or your reply your actually serious about doing something about it, so I'm not going to waste 30 minutes or more of my life on an actual effort post.

I've done what you want to do, I did it a little earlier (started around 22yo), and let me tell you it wasn't loving easy. It took me until 30 to get where you want to be and now at 34 I'm in a really good spot. I started from nothing. poo poo childhood, no money, no family support, waiting tables for $2.13 cents an hour plus tips, and no opportunity. I did something about it. It was loving hard, and I caught a couple of lucky breaks along the way, but now I'm doing great. Wonderful wife, great kids, great job, nice house, all that poo poo. If you want that, you have to put the work in.

First thing you need to do is 100% decide you want to do whatever the gently caress it takes to take the first small step on a very long trip to make your life better. Until you have that resolve, you're not going to achieve what you want. Stop making excuses, and looking for reasons why it's hard, and why you can't. gently caress the noise, the haters, the people holding you back and do something with your life.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Firstborn posted:

Not to sound like the manbaby I most certainly am... where do you even begin with that path?

E: Would I need a degree, or is it more like a trade program? Again, no money, so I can't afford to go for school for 2+ years.

If you are good at coding then run with it. If you aren't you could look at some sort of financial services or business/office related job. Upskilling yourself with excel skills or database skills. Even if you ended up with a job entering data and limited data analysis you are likely to end up better off than terrible pay.

Depending on how motivated you are to progress within a company you could find better pay.

You can start learning with a lot of online resources. The follow data analysis course would give you some spreadsheet skills. Doing some online classes would also help with interviews as it demonstrates that you are prepared to learn and have been trying to learn business relevant skills.
https://www.edx.org/course/data-analysis-max-delftx-ex101x
https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-financial-management-acca-fa1-ma1-x

Of course this all depends on your own interests and potential ideas for jobs you may wish to apply for. There are a lot of jobs that don't require degrees or official qualifications. Although if there is a practical trade you would like to enter you may have to do at least a short course to get enough basic skills.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

skipdogg posted:

thug life

Ok? Thanks for posting, I guess. Not once did I mention that I wanted it "easy" or whatever, I am just in a similar position as you were and deep down in a depression and needed some guidance. Sorry!

Maybe 60-70k is too high. I'd be happy for 40-50k at this point.

Thanks to those who replied.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 6, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He's right, though. You don't need the career idea first. The resolve to do something about your situation comes first. However you find that is up to you. Thrash against the walls of your cage a little, I'd say.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Ok? Thanks for posting, I guess. Not once did I mention that I wanted it "easy" or whatever, I am just in a similar position as you were and deep down in a depression and needed some guidance. Sorry!

Maybe 60-70k is too high. I'd be happy for 40-50k at this point.

Thanks to those who replied.
He didn't say you wanted it easy, he said you're not serious about it, which I'd say sounds accurate.

Have you spent any effort beyond this thread on it? A five minute google search will give you a list of careers with good salaries.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Firstborn posted:

Ok? Thanks for posting, I guess. Not once did I mention that I wanted it "easy" or whatever
All your posts are about TV or video games or drugs. If you quit all those and work on just about ANY skill set, you will have a great job within a year. Honestly, the career path matters less than your work ethic. Nobody here will give you a career path that will make you $50k a year for sure. On the other hand, if you threw a dart at the yellow pages and told skipdogg to make $50k a year doing a random job, he'd probably make it work. You can make $50k a year as a writer or artist or hair cutter or whatever, if you have the drive and hustle.

Seriously, what skills do you want to develop? What skills do you already have? My husband did HVAC and it's hard work, if you have a good attitude you can do well of course but the attitude comes first and the willingness to work. What are you willing to work hard at?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

There's nothing 'thug life' about my response. I get asked all the time by people in your exact same scenario, and very few of them actually have the drive to do it. They find excuses on why they can't do it, or shrug and say "that's too hard". So now I don't waste my time unless I get the impression the person genuinely wants change in their life.

Here's my advice, do what you want with it.

Step 1: Get your personal life in order
- Secure a stable living situation, it's hard to make changes if your living situation is in flux or there is stress or drama about a basic need like shelter
- Secure some form of income, keep making sandwiches if you can pay your bills at this point, it's just money to get you along the journey. This will secure your other basic needs of food and clothing
- Stop doing drugs if you do them, and drinking if you drink it's a waste of time and money
- Stop playing games, especially any kind of time sink MMO, you're going to be too busy to play anyway pretty soon.
- Find time to exercise. Exercise has been shown to help with depression and all sorts of poo poo. Even a 30 minute walk every day can help.
- Get rid of any unsupportive friends. They're deadweight to you. If someone doesn't want to see you better yourself, you don't need them in your life.

Step 2: Create a plan to achieve your desired result and follow the plan. You want a good paying job, how are you going to get there? 40 to 60K jobs don't fall off trees. People make money because they have a valuable skill or knowledge that makes them worth paying that much.

First you need some sort of skill or educational training that makes you worth paying more money. Personally I'm an advocate of local community college institutions.

I don't know where you live, but almost everywhere has some sort of county or area community college system. Go to their website, look over their course offerings. I don't know what you like to do, or what interests you, but there should be some sort of 2 year program that you might be interested in. The goal here is to get a set of skills that makes you employable. Accounting, Computer Networking, Auto Body Repair, HVAC training, Auto Mechanic, Criminal Justice, Nursing. You get the point. Find the course catalog, look over the different degree plans. Pick one that will give you an employable skill set.

But Skip, I don't have any money, I can't go to school. Good news, you don't need any money. If you are truly as broke as you say you are, congratulations, a Federal Pell Grant award will cover all of your tuition and books for an entire year. The Federal Government will give you almost 5800 dollars a year to attend school. This should cover all your tuition, fees, books, and even put a little scratch in your pocket at a community college. Now you don't have an excuse about why you can't go to school. Try to avoid taking any student loans, if you can work and earn enough to cover your non school expenses you will be much better off. Yes it's extra money in your pocket now, but those things have to get paid back some day.

Now the next 2 years of your life are going to be hard, you're going to need to work, and do well in school. There won't be much time for getting drunk, smoking weed, leveling your MMO character, or much of anything else. I went to school during the day, and worked at night. I had 2 weekday nights off a week to work on projects and school work and sometimes have a social life. A typical day for me started with classes from 9 to 3PM at school, and work from 4 to 11PM at night. I worked as much as I could on the weekends. You also have to do well in school, you don't want to lose your Pell Grant eligibility, and you don't want to stretch this 2 year plan out any longer than you have to.

Now at the 2 year mark you should be almost done, or done with your 2 year education program, now it's time to find an entry level job in the field if you haven't done so already. Secure the entry level job, and keep working on your education when possible. There's a good chance your job even has a tuition reimbursement program and will pay you to finish school. You may have to take night and weekend courses at the local state college, or there are many online programs out there that will let you finish your 4 year degree. It might take you 3 or more years to finish your bachelors degree depending on how your schedule looks. It's a long road and if you keep working on it you'll get there. After 3 years of career experience, completing a 4 year degree, you should find yourself in a position where you're making the kind of money you want to make.

Now you don't have to go the community college route, many skilled construction trades are taught via on the job training. I have a cousin that started his plumbing career by literally digging trenches and ditches, showing that he could learn, show up to work on time and was responsible. He eventually moved up the ladder until he was running his own crew for the owner of the company.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Sales is a very financially rewarding career. Enterprise and some probably other car rental services offer very comprehensive training programs (so I'm told but Enterprise is the only one I've heard mentioned by name). The pay starts not great but certainly more than $8.50/hr. From there you can easily get into some respectable 60-80k/yr positions. Not the crazy baller status you could get from coding, but your barrier for entry is going to be a lot, lot lower. When I entered sales I was looking for the same kind of change you are. I was in academia, so my transition was different but if you are motivated by money sales is a fantastic way to go.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

There's nothing 'thug life' about my response. I get asked all the time by people in your exact same scenario, and very few of them actually have the drive to do it. They find excuses on why they can't do it, or shrug and say "that's too hard". So now I don't waste my time unless I get the impression the person genuinely wants change in their life.

*pro post*

This first paragraph is really important. I have a lot of friends who look up to what I do but when I tell them they could do it too then the excuses happen. You need drive to change things which I think skip has covered in a pretty complete way. There are some good options presented there.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Thanks thread. Looking at my post history on a comedy forum and trying to judge my character is kind of a dick move, but I knew I'd be facing that kind of thing when I made the thread.

Thanks especially to skipdogg. I'm going talk to a (community) college tomorrow. It's something, right? Pearl River Community College if anybody is in Mississippi. I'm especially interested in their Computer Networking & Surgical Tech courses, but CNA is also a thing that is short and pays more in the interim. Do you think it's a mistake to use that as a stepping stone even if I don't plan to pursue nursing seriously? I know it's an in-demand course, it takes like 6 weeks, and they only want like $700 tuition.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 7, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
There's nothing wrong with taking a short course to get an improvement in pay. The thing is where you really want to go, and the steps to get you there.

e: Go and have a to talk to them about what is available and come back to the thread with the courses that take your interest.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 7, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Thanks for the tough love. I will report back.

Full Disclosure RE: Sales -
I suffered some nerve damage, and as such I'm really self conscious in face-to-face stuff like sales. I'm sorry if that sounds like a cop-out, but Bell's Palsy kind of sucks, because I can't put on that Customer Service Smile. Is that an excuse? I don't know. I don't want to start making them.

E2: Sorry if I offended anyone. I came here looking for help and got just the kind I needed.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 7, 2015

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Firstborn posted:

Thanks thread. Looking at my post history on a comedy forum and trying to judge my character is kind of a dick move, but I knew I'd be facing that kind of thing when I made the thread.
You gave zero info in the OP and I was looking for a hobby or interest you could turn into money, not judging your character. Put that victim complex to bed, hon, we're trying to help. Cutting out vidja games and TV will work wonders for depression as well, esp if you fill the gaps with good things like exercise and studying. Do you know anyone who works as a CNA or knows what the job is like? Does it sound like something you want to do?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

moana posted:

You gave zero info in the OP and I was looking for a hobby or interest you could turn into money, not judging your character. Put that victim complex to bed, hon, we're trying to help. Cutting out vidja games and TV will work wonders for depression as well, esp if you fill the gaps with good things like exercise and studying. Do you know anyone who works as a CNA or knows what the job is like? Does it sound like something you want to do?

That's fair. I'm sorry.
My girlfriend was going for an RNA before she switched over to Biology, so she is giving me the idea of how hard a job it can be. It's about 29k a year here, but like I said, it's steady work and the course is short and cheap. It sounds like thankless work changing bedpans and rolling fatties to change their diapers, but honestly, that's okay with me. I've been a laborer most of my life, so what's a little more?
I have a weight set at home and I'm currently on a program, my depression isn't so much my weight as it is my bank account. And while it's true that I have a lot of posts in video games and stuffs, all I can seem to find time for now is a little Hearthstone now and then, so cutting them out is fine by me. I'm willing to work at it, I promise.

E: I just got off work and I'm exhausted. I will post back tomorrow with my findings, if anyone is curious!

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 7, 2015

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, the good thing about nursing is that it's a job that isn't going to be out of demand anytime soon and you can probably get overtime if you want it. If you think it's a step up from your current job, then I'd say go for it.

Have you checked out the nursing thread on SA? Might be a good place to ask questions. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3017109

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

moana posted:

All your posts are about TV or video games or drugs. If you quit all those and work on just about ANY skill set, you will have a great job within a year. Honestly, the career path matters less than your work ethic. Nobody here will give you a career path that will make you $50k a year for sure. On the other hand, if you threw a dart at the yellow pages and told skipdogg to make $50k a year doing a random job, he'd probably make it work. You can make $50k a year as a writer or artist or hair cutter or whatever, if you have the drive and hustle.

This is dumb, you can't just force yourself into the top 10% of a given career track on sheer willpower. Not everyone can make money as a writer or an artist, for example, and it is disingenuous to pretend otherwise.

Pick something that is in demand (nursing, coding, or another serious vocation) and stick with it. Coding really is something you could develop "on the side" if you have the capacity and the will.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

This is dumb, you can't just force yourself into the top 10% of a given career track on sheer willpower. Not everyone can make money as a writer or an artist, for example, and it is disingenuous to pretend otherwise.
After a year of hard work on a skill? I think you're wrong. IME the top 10% earners of most fields aren't geniuses, they just work their asses off.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Firstborn posted:

Surgical Tech courses, CNA, nursing

CNA's make poo poo.

Here's something worth looking in to - Diagnostic Imaging or MRI Technician.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/radiologic-technologists.htm

Good luck!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I don't know if this community college has the ability to give me a certificate to pursue either of those. Isn't Radiology Tech a whole lot of school? That looks incredible, but I'm thinking of just using CNA as a stepping stone into a place where I can save more money to go for something greater. I'm in a college town, which pretty much means that any no-skilled laborer positions are being soaked up very quickly by students. Pretty much the only jobs here that are ravenously looking for bodies seems to be the OTR trucking gigs, and I really don't want to go down that hole. CNA at least insures that someone will want me to change a bedsheet.

I will be leaving to talk to the school within the hour. I will definitely put that MRI suggestion in my back pocket. Looks really good and thank you for posting and for the luck. :)

E: Well, that was quick. Have to wait until payday, then pay to take the Compass. Surgical Tech and Computer Networking classes don't start again until January... so CNA might be the only thing I can do at the moment.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 7, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Firstborn,

First off Kudos for taking the first steps. Yes we may have unfairly prejudged you based on your posts on an internet comedy forum, but in our defense you didn't really give us much else to go on. My sister was a CNA for a long time, and it was hard, thankless work, but it paid 12 or 13 bucks an hour and was shift work. She moved up the company ladder over time, into a hourly management position that paid better and had a normal 8 to 5, and recently changed career paths a little bit. She's working for a health insurance company now and doing pretty well. It would provide the opportunity to work and attend school at the same time and would work as a job and stepping stone as you continue your journey.

Obviously I don't know your situation, but what are the chances of you moving to a different area... Generally larger cities are going to offer more opportunities. You can accomplish your goals there, but a larger city might make it a little easier or faster. Just a thought. Baton Rouge, Mobile, Jackson, a larger city in the area is going to have more to offer.

I know I probably come across as a bit of a dick (below I post some backstory about why), but I honestly and truly want to see you succeed. Everyone here in BFC does. I will help you out any way I can, if you need someone to look at a resume, I'll do it. Questions about the FAFSA or school paperwork, ask. Thinking negative defeatist thoughts? I'll gladly yell at you and tell you to get in tune with your #1 star player. Most of us here will gladly do that, but there has to be a sense of desire on your part, a feeling you really want to hit these goals and you'll do whatever it takes. Otherwise we're just wasting our time.

moana posted:

drive and hustle.

I wanted to post a little more about this, not directly aimed at the OP, just more general ramblings. I posted a fairly clinical blueprint on one way to accomplish your goal. That's that path I took, it worked for me, so that's the advice I give. Moana is 10000000% correct though. Drive. Desire. Hustle. Hunger. Whatever you want to call it is key. You have to want it bad enough to accomplish your goals. You can't let anyone stand in your way, and you have to overcome any and all obstacles you come across. Wake up in the morning with a positive attitude and clear plan on how you're going to better your life today. It could be as simple as filling out the FAFSA for school, or studying to pass a quiz, or appying for at least 3 better paying jobs. Whatever step it is, no matter how small, make that plan and stick to it. Reflect on the day before you go to bed, did you accomplish what you wanted? Why or Why Not?

You don't have to follow my blueprint. Sales jobs need little to no education. If you have the drive and hustle you can go walk onto a car lot, and they'll hire you to sell cars. It's sink or swim though, either you sell or you don't. You can make great money selling cars. The hours suck but you can make a lot of money.

Hell there's some people that used to post here that started making over 10,000 dollars a month writing erotic short stories and selling them online. That poo poo blew my mind at the time. They got their hustle on though. They cranked out crazy hipster mummy porn and sold it for 2 bucks a story and starting making stacks of cash.

Look at almost anyone famous or successful. What makes them different than other people? It usually boils down to drive and hustle. Sometimes it's a lucky break, or taking a chance on an opportunity, maybe once in a while a true genius ability, but it's usually drive and hustle.

Look at these famous cooks that are all over TV. I make better fried chicken than Paula Deen, lots of people do, but I know I don't have the drive and hustle that she does to go out and create a brand around my persona and then become a force to grow, develop, and drive that brand to success. That lady took some half decent cooking and hustled her way to the face of a multi million dollar empire. She has her name and likeness on everything from kitchen utensils to furniture. I'm surprised she doesn't have her own line of butter by now.

A little back story about why I'm so jaded about when people ask for advice. I'm a Sr. Level IT guy for my company, and we have a couple of technical support call centers that are staffed with a lot of entry level employees. Many of them fit the "Goon" stereotype. When I go to the call centers, I'm constantly asked how they can get a job like mine, or learn to do what I do. I started out taking the same technical support phone calls they do right now (12 years ago), same job in fact while I was in community college. I made 12 bucks an hour doing DSL tech support at night and went to school during day. It sucked and I wanted better.

So I give them advice just like what I posted earlier, and their eyes glaze over, or they look down and shuffle their feet, or they say "Oh, well that sounds really hard". They don't want to go to school and work. It's too hard. They much rather go home, rip their bong and play WoW and drink 3 nights a week with their friends. After giving out the same advice dozens and dozens of times and no one really showing any initiative or desire, now I just don't even bother. They don't want to sacrifice for a couple years to invest in themselves. That's really what it is, investing in yourself. Even now I'm constantly working to better myself, keep on top of new skills and technology, I keep investing in ME, and I've been very fortunate that it has paid off.

The following is just some general rambling about poo poo:

This is going to sound stupid to many of you, but Katt Williams did a bit in one of his stand up routines that changed my outlook on life tremendously. He says:

quote:

You gonna have to be happy and be in tune with your star player

That poo poo hit me like a ton of bricks. loving Katt Williams dishing out serious life advice in a comedy special. He's right. You need to be in tune with your #1 Star Player to really succeed in life. You also need to be happy with yourself. It all starts with you.

I like reading about really successful people. I personally know I don't have the drive to really be successful at the level of these people. I'm just not wired like they are and I'm OK with that.

I was listening to a Nerdist podcast and Thomas Lennon was on the show talking about writing movie scripts. Some of you might not even recognize his name, but you know him from The State, Reno 911!, various films, and the new Odd Couple show. The guy is a prolific screen writer, and has written movies that have grossed over 1.4 Billion at the box office. He mentioned on the show that out of every 10 movies he writes, maybe 1 will get picked up, and then that doesn't even guarantee it will get made into a film, it just means a studio pays him for it or options it. Less than a 10% success rate. He keeps writing though and doesn't let failure get him down.

Mark Cuban is another great example of people who are successful. His early life and career is well documented and worth a read. Hell almost any really successful person has an early history of failures or at least things that didn't really work out. The difference is they kept trying and trying until it worked out.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 7, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Thanks, skipp. I'm sorry if I was confrontational earlier. I really didn't mean it. This Friday I will be taking the Compass, I need to get some stuff in order, but I will be attending Pearl River for CNA as a stepping stone. Unfortunately I can't move just yet. I am originally from New Orleans, but agreed to move to Hattiesburg with my girlfriend while she attends William Carey University. I've seen that Katt Williams special. Good stuff, man.

I will fill out a FAFSA tonight after work.

E: When I was looking at an HVAC school, I'm pretty sure I took the Compass. Do I have to retake it, you think?
E2: Compass ACT is non-transferrable.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 7, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

skipdogg posted:

Look at these famous cooks that are all over TV. I make better fried chicken than Paula Deen, lots of people do, but I know I don't have the drive and hustle that she does to go out and create a brand around my persona and then become a force to grow, develop, and drive that brand to success. That lady took some half decent cooking and hustled her way to the face of a multi million dollar empire. She has her name and likeness on everything from kitchen utensils to furniture. I'm surprised she doesn't have her own line of butter by now.

I agree with pretty much everything you said but I couldn't let this slip by :colbert:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

moana posted:

After a year of hard work on a skill? I think you're wrong. IME the top 10% earners of most fields aren't geniuses, they just work their asses off.

Of course if you look at the top 10%, most of them will be quite driven. What you're missing is that drive doesn't guarantee anything. It's necessary, but so is talent, opportunity, social ability, intelligence, and dumb luck. Plenty of driven people scrub out. Look at fields where the odds are especially poor and you'll realize that good old fashioned gumption is only one factor in a big equation--the hardest-working actors in the world can fail, for example. Most of them do.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Vox Nihili posted:

Of course if you look at the top 10%, most of them will be quite driven. What you're missing is that drive doesn't guarantee anything. It's necessary, but so is talent, opportunity, social ability, intelligence, and dumb luck. Plenty of driven people scrub out. Look at fields where the odds are especially poor and you'll realize that good old fashioned gumption is only one factor in a big equation--the hardest-working actors in the world can fail, for example. Most of them do.

As far as actors go I'd say that's the mistake of making a poor career choice (for most people obviously). Just because you're passionate about something doesn't mean you should try to make a career out of it. People seem to make that mistake a lot, and it's such an avoidable one.

But yea if you have like a real disability intelligence wise or something... sure you will probably have a difficult time. Hopefully social safety nets can assist those people. But I don't think that's true in the OP's case.

Anyway OP I dug myself out of a worse situation than you're in (one income two people and the worst loving living situation), and I did it; so have lots of people here. You can do it too if you really want it and you're willing to do what it takes.

edit oh and here's a good place for research if you're unaware: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/occupation-finder.htm

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 12, 2015

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Vox Nihili posted:

Maybe when you're up in the upper 0.1% of people in a field talent and dumb luck really start to shine through, but anybody can roll into the top 10% by hard hard work. I think other than that the big difference is what social class you're born into of course....

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah I'm going to go ahead and say that I could become a $50k/year actor if I worked at it for a year. I would hate it and I'd probably be doing like mattress commercials in Iowa or fitness youtubes or some poo poo, but I absolutely think it's doable. Really, look at all the lazy rear end people out there. You can beat 90% of them out at anything after a year of hard work. I think you underestimate how lazy most people are - they don't want to be decently-paid unknown actors who work their asses off, they want to be movie stars or Broadway actors, and when it doesn't happen in a year or two they run out of savings and whine about how many auditions they went to and how nobody ever appreciated them. Source: I lived in LA.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Vox Nihili's post was spot on. It's a dangerous fallacy to generalize failures as being due to "laziness".

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Vox Nihili's post was spot on. It's a dangerous fallacy to generalize failures as being due to "laziness".

Yeah yeah yeah life isn't fair, and it never will be.

Knowing that 99% of this forum vilifies the success of others, what do you say to people who are born in the right place, to the right family, with the right skin color, and the right amount of resources, but still manage to squander it all and become gently caress ups? Were they missing that elusive "luck factor" after all?

I guarantee you that if you're hungry and determined enough you'll find a way to get that paper.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

fruition posted:

Yeah yeah yeah life isn't fair, and it never will be.

Knowing that 99% of this forum vilifies the success of others, what do you say to people who are born in the right place, to the right family, with the right skin color, and the right amount of resources, but still manage to squander it all and become gently caress ups? Were they missing that elusive "luck factor" after all?

I guarantee you that if you're hungry and determined enough you'll find a way to get that paper.

Making money if you already have money isn't that difficult. It's possible that someone is just stupid and doesn't learn from their mistakes. I have one client who his sons are trying to make money with their projects. One of them hosed up badly and owed a fair bit of money to my company. It took him a while but he found his niche where he can make money. He managed to turn himself around because he had the determination, was able to adapt and learn. I never got that original money out of him but he's now a consistent client bringing in cashflow.

Some will never get it and will just blow the money.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

moana posted:

Yeah I'm going to go ahead and say that I could become a $50k/year actor if I worked at it for a year. I would hate it and I'd probably be doing like mattress commercials in Iowa or fitness youtubes or some poo poo, but I absolutely think it's doable. Really, look at all the lazy rear end people out there. You can beat 90% of them out at anything after a year of hard work. I think you underestimate how lazy most people are - they don't want to be decently-paid unknown actors who work their asses off, they want to be movie stars or Broadway actors, and when it doesn't happen in a year or two they run out of savings and whine about how many auditions they went to and how nobody ever appreciated them. Source: I lived in LA.

doubt it

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

This thread is getting pretty great all of a sudden. Moana post your audition tape please.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

fruition posted:

Knowing that 99% of this forum vilifies the success of others,
citation needed

quote:

what do you say to people who are born in the right place, to the right family, with the right skin color, and the right amount of resources, but still manage to squander it all and become gently caress ups? Were they missing that elusive "luck factor" after all?

In that case, you evaluate that individual's circumstances and behaviors to figure out exactly what went wrong.

The danger is doing what Moana was doing, and what you're doing at the end of your post - "I guarantee :words:".

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Go into heavy industry. For serious. Even a general laborer [belt shoveler] at a mining company can make $12 an hour, and typically gain a wealth of overtime up to 50-60 hours a week. Plus benefits. Learn to operate any equipment or control any process and that bumps you up to $17-25 an hour depending on the mine. A survey monkey [rodman] was making $15/hr a couple years ago and requires minimal skills. Learn some basic math skills and become a transit man for a professional land surveyor.

It's hard work, you'll be outside huffing it, but most everyone is capable---just maybe not willing to do the work.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Inept posted:

This thread is getting pretty great all of a sudden. Moana post your audition tape please.
I decided to be a starving writer instead, it's going great :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

My first job was teaching poor minority kids, I understand the sickness of the just world fallacy very well. But someone posting on somethingawful for career advice? I'll bet u a dollar they're lazy, not disadvantaged.

• Locked thread