Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
IT'S THE THEROS BLOCK ROTISSERIE DRAFT THREAD!!

THAT SURE SOUNDS LIKE FUN, BUT WHAT DO THOSE WORDS MEAN??

A Rotisserie Draft is a unique limited format. The way it works is that a single copy of each card is laid out, and each player takes a turn 'drafting' the cards in their deck. The order of picks then goes in reverse, so that the first player gets picks 1 and 16, while the eighth player gets picks 8 and 9. When this is done, you make a 40 card deck out of the cards you drafted plus basic lands, and play a normal game of Magic. Roto Draft is different from the more common Booster Draft in three major ways: 1, it's a singleton format and there is one copy of each card available, from common to mythic, 2, you publicly announce your pick, meaning everyone knows exactly what everyone else is drafting, which leads to 3, you can use your draft picks to react to what other players are doing - either moving into open archetypes, or fighting them over a rapidly shrinking card pool.

The card pool in this case is Theros Block. That means any card printed in Theros, Born of the Gods, or Journey into Nyx can be chosen. Why Theros block? Because it's still recent enough that everyone remembers all the cards, but hasn't been drafted in a while so people aren't sick of it. It's also a test of my theory that almost any set or block could make for a fun Roto draft, even the ones people didn't really like for booster drafting.

WOW, THAT'S COOL, BUT I DON'T LIVE IN THE SAME CITY AS YOU, JONKED!!

We will be doing this draft online, using a publicly shared Google Doc to make our picks, followed by playing games on XMage. Ideally, we should be able to go through two or three rounds of picks per day and finish the draft up in a week or two, but at least a minimum of one pick per day. After that, we'll play three rounds of Swiss over the next two or three weeks. New pairings will be posted as soon as the previous round ends, so hopefully it won't take a whole week to go through each round. I'll be enforcing the 24 hour time limit on picks and 1 week deadline on games, to keep things moving at a reasonable pace. If you think you can handle that, just post in this thread saying you want to play

YAAAAY, LET'S PLAY THEN!!

Players:
1.) Jonked
2.) The Lord of Hats
3.) Rimusutera
4.) Ramos
5.) Myriad Truths
6.) Soviet Canuckistan
7.) Frozen_flame
8.) Mordieth

Draft Picks: CLICK HERE
Currently waiting on The Lord of Hats since 7:15am EST

Jonked fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
We've got 8 people, so that draft is up. Pick order is:

1.) Rimusutera
2.) Soviet Canuckistan
3.) Jonked
4.) Frozen_Flame
5.) Myriad Truths
6.) The Lord of Hats
7.) Ramos
8.) Mordeith

Mordeith, remember that you get TWO picks when it comes to you. Ramos, remember that you go after Mordeith's picks.

edit: I should also mention that I used the google doc random number generator to select the pick order.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Rimusutera posted:

Is it a good time to mention I never did Theros draft or...?
It's a silly casual format that's being played for no stakes. You'll be fine. The three cards I posted in the OP are probably a good starting point, but do whatever you like.

edit: also don't feel like you need to rush into a pick, you still have 23 hours

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Planting a flag... maybe

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Soviet Canuckistan got to grab both his first picks :haw:

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Rimusutera posted:

Sorry, housemate was playing Sims all day and then Age of Ultron happened.
No worries, things happen. Frozen_flame, you're up.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
I think that's a defensible pick...

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

Blah, I was hoping to be able to scoop up Kiora, because I am a greedy dingus like that.

Not empty quoting

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Mordieth posted:

at this rate (1 pick a day) we will be done ~20th of july. how about going up to two picks each after halfway?

also i refuse to commit to a second color
Yeah, I must admit that I was expecting things to be a bit zippier. Assuming that no one objects, I would be fine going up to two picks after round... 15? At that point it's mostly going to be chaff that won't make or break your deck, and you'll have your core deck figured out.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Let's see if we can knock out the rest of this round tonight...

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Frozen_flame posted:

Sorry for taking a while, I was up north for basically the weekend. Double picks should speed things along
That's fine. It's your pick by the way

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Picks made, off to bed now

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Soviet Canuckistan, you're up.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Frozen_flame posted:

I will, sorry to hold things up.
Hey, sooooo... what's going on? Are you dropping, or would you like to make your Round 8 pick...?

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
So how does everyone feel about going to 2 picks on round 11?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Eh... sorry guys I've got to agree with Ramos here, this isn't really going how I wanted it and I'm not really feeling keen to do this for another couple months. I'm going to try and put together a real-time draft tomorrow around 8pm est or so.

• Locked thread