Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i love everything about the terminal. it's so good. i've been using it for years and i learn things and cusotmize it every day and i just dont think there will ever be a better tool than the shell.

but it's so bad. i mean
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/io-redirection.html

it's haskell monads but without type checking and so you just have to run it over and over again and try to see what changed. it's a lot like javascript now that i think about it.

anyhow. i am not really a great shell programmer but i know some of you are so lets post about the shell

currently i'm doing zshrc but tbh i dont really see what's so much better about it so i might try out flyfishing or whatever it's called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
fish is a piece of poo poo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
anyhow lately i've been using xargs. it's really useful. i hope this helps you get started with it

xargs [-0prtx] [-E eof-str] [-e[eof-str]] [–eof[=eof-str]] [–null] [-d delimiter] [–delimiter delimiter] [-I replace-str] [-i[replace-str]] [–replace[=replace-str]] [-l[max-lines]] [-L max-lines] [–max-lines[=max-lines]] [-n max-args] [–max-args=max-args] [-s max-chars] [–max-chars=max-chars] [-P max-procs] [–max-procs=max-procs] [–interactive] [–verbose] [–exit] [–no-run-if-empty] [–arg-file=file] [–show-limits] [–version] [–help] [command [initial-arguments]]

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i literally have no idea how to read the notation for -h/manpages, i feel like spending the 5 minutes it would take to learn the syntax would help me a lot but instead i just spend 30 minutes a day pounding in flags until i understand how to the tool

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pipes and redirection are pretty much perfect op and given to use by the glorious lords thompson and ritchie

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
xargs is fairly sick and you can get oddly productive with it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

paging shagger to the powershell appreciation station

pram
Jun 10, 2001
shagger doesnt even like powershell. hed rather click next

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
xargs is good poo poo fam

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
also docker is great. in my interview we talked about it and they were like 'what do you like about it' and i was like 'i dont know i just like connecting all these services and making them dance'

i have no idea what the actual use case for docker is because it seems like it just increases the complexity of deploying things to the clot. like before it was like a bunch of vms with a bunch of bullshit to deal with but now you have a bunch of vms each of them containing a bunch of containers which sounds awful

but i love rigging up containers like they're a loving bash script but actually it's a goddamn computer i have a goddamn computer dedicated to make tayne dance around in my terminal and it's linked up with a bunch of other services so that they can scale and tayne up on demand. dbus??? what's that?? i just send messages to tayne through my kafka cluster

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
sh and IT are poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

also docker is great. in my interview we talked about it and they were like 'what do you like about it' and i was like 'i dont know i just like connecting all these services and making them dance'

i have no idea what the actual use case for docker is
cause the deliverable now is not "a few fragments of code" from dev, its "give me the docker". boom your ops just started getting 75% fewer pages after hours

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i guess the problem here is that devops has the keys to all the aws stuff but they're not necessarily responsible or knowledgeable about about like, my bad code (or other peoples bad code that i've touched).

so like over the weekend a hadoop thing started going oom and it's running inside a docker container which is linked to a bunch of other docker containers and i only have access to it through a chain of vms and I don't have the IPs. I didn't have sudo but I could run docker as sudo so i just kept spinning up containers and then leapfrogging from one container to the next until finally i could access the hadoop cluster and kill the jobs.

anyhow as i type this out i'm realizing all of these problems have nothing to do with docker.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
basically i just feel like an idiot every time i talk to devops but it's mostly because i have no visibility of how all of their stuff is hooked up, and yet ultimately i'm responsible for my poo poo even if it's completely invisible to me once it's deployed.

they're nice guys though i just need to talk to them more.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

they're nice guys though i just need to talk to them more.

ops are the guys with r00t. make friends with them. everybody else treats them like poo poo.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

at oldjob i guess i was the lone "ops" guy, a bridge between corporate IT and our devs, and i maintained my own dedicated infrastructure for the devs

just little things like "hey can you check on this when you get a moment, no rush" and just treating IT guys like human beings gets you so much leeway in a terrible organization with the poor cjs, they get poo poo on 24/7

it's really sad :smith:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i love everything about the terminal. it's so good. i've been using it for years and i learn things and cusotmize it every day and i just dont think there will ever be a better tool than the shell.

but it's so bad. i mean
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/io-redirection.html

it's haskell monads but without type checking and so you just have to run it over and over again and try to see what changed. it's a lot like javascript now that i think about it.

anyhow. i am not really a great shell programmer but i know some of you are so lets post about the shell

currently i'm doing zshrc but tbh i dont really see what's so much better about it so i might try out flyfishing or whatever it's called.

I think you might be loving retarded because shell redirection is the simplest thing possible.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol you bit that obvious troll
"its haskell monads" cmon son

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
here's the god drat list of things you should be writing in shell script form:

-

PLANGS EXIST. IT IS NO LONGER 1975.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i wrote a for loop in bash this week
i had to google each step of the way and i was thinking 'gently caress i should be using python even using popen is nicer than this'

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

lol you bit that obvious troll
"its haskell monads" cmon son

I don't know what that is.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

shagger doesnt even like powershell. hed rather click next

why type arcane bullshit when you can just click next instead? simple. one button. elegant.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
hold onto your little monads and strife

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Shaggar posted:

simple. one button. elegant.
shaggar likes macs‽ :wth:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
even a toilet has more than 1 button

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

jony ive aces posted:

sh and IT are poo poo

Whoaaa. :wth:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Citizen Tayne posted:

I don't know what that is.

monads are the drop bear of the six-masters-degree, cant-deal-with-real-world-so-I-invent-functional-languages-at-caltech manchildren unisperglords. They don't really exist but if they can convince a lay person that they do, their bullshit skills have leveled up

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

lol if you don't use powershell for linux

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

:sweatdrop:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

lmao

that will own to set as someone's default login shell