Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The curse of middle-management isn't just confined to Brave.

And to think, it was even worse when Kelduum and cohort were running the show :psyduck:

Lack of Gravitas fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AAPsel posted:

Their aggression mechanics are even more hilarious. There are also harmless sleepers running around k-space now. Normally they just scan things like a station or the faction police. If you kill them they might eventually spawn these drifters who will then murder you. If you kill enough of them you become kill on sight to all random roaming drifters in the game.

Those harmless k-space sleepers will also scoop up corpses if you jettison them as a gift :3:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

HAHAHA I spent $13 on aurum and bought a Jump Freighter.

Goddammit I jumped on that Amazon link as soon as it was posted

quote:

Game Downloads are only available to US customers

:argh: :australia:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even get the chance to put in a US address. They knew where I was through some internet black magic :(:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'll try that next time. The last time I needed to use a VPN was to unlock XCOM 18 hours earlier back in 2012.

Amazon jumped on that mistake pretty quickly today anyway

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How is FCON stopping Burn Amarr when its never stopped Burn Jita in the past? Don't they just keep all their people at home while everyone else goes and has fun?? :confused:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bonfire Lit posted:

they keep bitching up a storm about how burn jita torpedoes their recruitment efforts and corps diplo is sick of listening to it

well, poop. i was looking forward to losing some sec status. ty for the answer

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shadin posted:

Can you elaborate?

Vyst is the Saint Peter at the Pearly Gates of EveGoon Heaven

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ice Fist posted:

What's this about kugu dying?

Kugutsumen came up with a business plan to turn social media 'likes' and 'dislikes' into bitcoins. Then he closed the kugu forums, which was a shame because it kept all that circlejerking cancer in one, easily-avoidable location.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

So, if I haven't played in at least 5 years (I think the last thing I saw was Wormholes being added), and I'm getting the MMO itch, but I stopped last time because I really enjoyed the scanning system, but there wasn't much to do with it at the time, and I didn't feel that engaged by the game. Then I idly browsed the thread, watched the 'This is EVE' video and got all hype again. Is it fun enough, or is it just the players can't resist touching the poop again & again. Is it worth me having another go at? I have a feeling what little assets I own might be in the arse end of nowhere.

I don't mind a bit of idle trying, but downloading the client is obviously a big deal.

:ullerrm:
Scanning has had a few massive quality-of-life improvements since you last played. You get to use eight probes now by default (instead of +1 per level of Astrometrics), and the probes move and resize as a group now (instead of having to move each probe individually). The SHIFT and (especially) ALT keys are your new best friends - use SHIFT to interact with just one probe, and using ALT makes the probes move in and out as a group around their common centre.

You don't need to setup probe formation by hand now either; the scanning controls have two by default - "spread formation" (6 probes in hexagon plus 1-up and 1-down in the centre, for a quick systemwide overview), and "pinpoint formation" (5 probes in pentagon plus 1-up 1-down and 1-centre, for actually scanning down sigs). You can also setup custom formations, like cubes or setups with different probe ranges. But the pinpoint one works pretty well as it is.

Deep Space Probes were removed a while back, so you can't use them to see what type of sigs are in a system with one scan anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeWzEfDoS0Q

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

I used to mine gas waaaaaaaaay long back, so I did a lot of probing. I read about those quality-of-life changes, but a ton of people were bellyaching about probing already being way too easy already. Mind, I think most were talking about the use of probes to get perfect warp-ins in fleet combat. There any validity to that?

With regards to combat probing, I can't really say, I haven't had the patience to learn to do it properly :v: , but probing in general is a lot easier and a lot quicker now. Most of the Data and Relic sites don't contain NPCs now either, so anyone exploring just for them can do it in a covops with bonuses to probing and no combat fit needed, so that speeds things up as well.

Oh yeah, also, CCP added a compass to the HUD and brackets in space to show how many sigs and anoms are in the system (sigs still need to be scanned), so thats probably encouraged more people to scan now too, since just by flying around they can see that there are sites, without having to open up the scanning interface everytime.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Delta Echo posted:

Speaking of, ISD will have an active presence on r/eve apparently.

loving hell, the cancer is spreading.

Well, for any ISD's lurking in this thread, now's a good time to say hello.

and then you can :frogout:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

darth cookie posted:

Brain in a box mass test on Singularity October 1.

It's been so long I can't remember why this is a really big deal, I just remember that its a really big deal. Paging :ullerrm:

Something about reducing the load on the server that grid/system is on, by moving the calculations that are done for each pilots skills (and how those skills affect their ship), to another computer?

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This isn't monkeysphere, but does anyone remember uberscanner from about five years ago? Any ideas what it turned out to be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRfja1wf-gk

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

I saw only the thumbnail of that when I scrolled past it on reddit or somewhere else earlier. It looked to me then as if it was on a tablet, which I thought was a pretty neat idea if it was possible to connect a tablet to a computer and use it as a secondary game controller for something like eve.

You could maybe do that with Roccat Power-Grid?

(Disclaimer: I haven't tried it, just skimmed the thread when it came up in Elite: Dangerous)

http://www.roccat.org/en-AU/Products/Gaming-Software/Power-Grid/Home/

Elite Dangerous grid

fake edit: looks like someones already made an Eve grid... http://www.roccat.org/en-US/Products/Gaming-Software/Power-Grid/Store/Grids/Games/Simulation/66/

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zasze posted:

This is actually really cool, not worth buying some ungodly expensive whatever the heck powergrid seems to be but still cool.

It's free download - host software for the PC and an app for whatever phone/tablet you have. Dunno if there's any costs or hardware needed further down the track. And now I'll stop spruiking for a product I don't own or use :v:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ask someone in Hole Squad to fly a freighter though there, then you'd get FCON gank cats all over it like flies on poo poo.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
~discussion about nerfing wh income~

Glory of Arioch posted:

harmless b/c it doesnt act as an isk faucet

Am I right in thinking you're opposed to blue loot (in part) because it all just gets sold to NPC buy orders and there's not really any way to do market pvp fuckery with it?

What if it could be used like RAMs or RDb's are now, to produce sleeper/drifter stuff for the player market? The NPCs might still have buy orders to do whatever they do with it, but it would open up blue loot for the market mavens to do whatever voodoo you guys do...

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zephyrine posted:

The tricky part being that you can't make all of Eve dependant on wormhole stuff. Not for any larger scale anyway.

Yeah, doing that would just make it the Technetium for the new age.

But if it was mixed in with what CCP Affinity was saying about changing PVE and how players and the NPC factions (empire and pirate) interact, maybe something could come of it. Like, shoot Caldari > get Guristas LP > swap for Gila's... shoot Sleepers > get blue loot > build Drifter shield extender

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

YouTuber posted:

quote:

@Obsidian 5h5 hours ago

So it seems like something was bought by @PdxInteractive and people want us to look into making a game? Hmmm...

Already in a better place I'd say.

Oh hell yeah - Pillars of Eternity was fantastic, and the Lead Dev is a Goon, so there's that in their favour :v:

SugarAddict posted:

There are infact kill-mails with the unique story stuff destroyed, but I'm lazy and it's hard to find.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Lianda_Burreau#Fallout

http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?id=16381219#items

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dalael posted:

Don't mind him. He's just jealous because he can't go base jumping without a wingsuit.

vyst posted:

Don't try to be deadtear. You're nowhere near as quick witted.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Solo should follow Lowtax's example and move it all to the cloud :yayclod:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

scandoslav posted:

Does Ezwal strike you as the type who would write his own wiki entry?

Yes. Ezwal is a shitlord and now I want to go see what mod actions he's made that are favourable to DMC / unfavourable to DMC's opponents.

But I'm unsubbed right now and playing Fallout 4, so :effort:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Goonswarm fulfilling BoB's old goal of total hegemony and forcing all to bend the knee would be delightful to watch

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ghouls aren't really jump scares - they're more hopped up on amphetamines and move like poo poo through a goose

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kazak_Hstan posted:

If you make eye contact with the mittani you will turn to stone

I heard that wherever he walks, the ground turns to gold, and he carries a grimoire containing six bound princes of hell, who he summons to pull his chariot through the sky.

Can't confirm it though, that's just what I've been told.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gwrtheyrn posted:

And they're still probably right.

Team Game of Drones is still waiting on Querns et al in the Economic Cabal to give them the final approval on the proposed build requirements.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Karl Sharks posted:

Don't forget to mention you're a newbee on fleets and get flooded in free isk.

Or even better, that you're a newbee and you want to lead a fleet. Get a bunch of guys to join your fleet then tell them what you want them to shoot.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zephyrine posted:

Right now there is. Someone break the glass and hit the button on the Widestancer containment unit.

:shibe: :shibe: :shibe:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The thing I like most about Xenuria is that he just does not give a gently caress

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Getting a plex inside 14 days on a trial account would be pretty difficult. They are going for around 1.2 billion isk at the moment, which is a bit of an ask for the skills you can train during a trial. If you have real life people skills you can try convincing someone to give you that isk, or join their corporation and help yourself to the corps assets if you have the roles. On a related note, scamming is allowed, so if you're not entirely honest about your intentions when someone gives you their isk, the GM's won't intervene.

Or join Goonswarm and borrow it from a fellow goon (don't scam other goons). Or act cute and get showered in donations.

If you understand the idea of buying something low and flipping it to sell high later on, then give the commodities market a go. It's easy money, but it is one of those things affected by what skills you can train during a trial.

A plex is like $20, though, so you might have to pay for the first couple of months while you get up to speed earning isk in-game before you start buying plex.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Trial_account_limitations

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

balistafreak posted:

I'm not angry, though. Is this what age feels like? A creeping apathy?

Pretty much. Wry amusement crossed with DGAF.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

https://www.themittani.com/news/ccp-takes-stand-against-neo-nazi-csm-candidate

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fix Lag posted:

dear holesquad diary,

today we found an occator onlining a pos

he had a moon harvesting array in his cargohold

praise mi mi

A moon harvesting array... in w-space? Did he fire off a cyno to call in support once he was tackled? :sterv:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

froody guy posted:

@Eonwe

:frogout: friend

:eonwe:

:pgabz: isn't the only good thing to come out of the Star Citizen thread :v:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ScreamingLlama posted:

Is there any way to increase a ship's drone bandwidth? I'd like my alt's Procurer to be able to have more than two drones, thanks.

A Procuror has 25Mbit drone bandwith so you could control 5 light drones with that. The base Drones skill lets you control one drone per level, does your alt have it trained only to lvl 2?

frozenphil posted:

IronBank just dumped 1.7 trillion ISK into a new character to max out its skills.
http://eveboard.com/pilot/IronBank

That's amazing. Dr Caymus must be raging at losing the #1 spot

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

idk why people still bite on this guy

my inner autist has a kneejerk reaction to stuff like that :shrug:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ScreamingLlama posted:

I'm using medium drones, they've proven more effective at beating on rats while I eat veldspar.

I see, well in that case what you should do is, you should take a leaf from the book of tactics of IRL modern militaries, and use a technique known as "combined arms". This is where you use different offensive units together at the same time, which, when combined together, achieve a synergy above and beyond what you would get from using them individually.

For example, in your case, using two medium drones leaves you with a spare 5Mbit drone bandwidth, which you could use to control a third (light) drone. You might want to go with another offensive drone but stop, do not do this, this is wrong. What you want to do is use a small drone that will support and enhance the task you have set for the two medium drones; i.e. use a small stasis webifying drone such as the Warrior SW-300. You could think of it as being the brave newbee in his tackle rifter, holding down the enemy for his bigger buddies to shoot. Because that is what he is doing.

Later on, once you move into a ship with more drone control, such as a Covetor or one of the Exhumers, you can expand this tactic to use up to four medium drones, supported by one light drone. You can even practise using "doctrines", for example use Infiltrator medium drones for an Amarr doctrine, or Vespa medium drones for a Caldari doctrine.

And the best part about all this is, is that the skills you are learning here are directly transferrable to being a Fleet Commander (or FC) of other (human) players. Remember, practise practise practise, and then who knows where you might end up - one day you might become a famous FC like Mr Vee or Elise Randolph. The sky is the limit, friend!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Glory of Arioch posted:

you people make me sick

calm your tits, deadtear

• Locked thread