Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

DoctorKill posted:

You're gonna have to tell me more about this area stacking glitch, I've never heard of it.

It sounds similar to the glitch in Ganon's Tower wherein entering and exiting the main room with all the major visual effects causes it to stack additional instances of it. Doing it enough times causes lag and also despawns other actors in adjacent rooms as a means of trying to prevent a crash. Then again I have no idea if that's actually what they're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
PAL versions being slower was a common thing back then, because PAL tvs had a lower refresh rate. thus, consoles had to run at a lower fps, and most developers just lazily ported the games without removing the per-frame coding. so everything slows the gently caress down! they also often have ugly black borders to compensate for the higher resolution in PAL region tvs, though I don't remember if OOT does that too.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

Unknown Quantity posted:

It sounds similar to the glitch in Ganon's Tower wherein entering and exiting the main room with all the major visual effects causes it to stack additional instances of it. Doing it enough times causes lag and also despawns other actors in adjacent rooms as a means of trying to prevent a crash. Then again I have no idea if that's actually what they're talking about.

Let me fire up the ol' gamecube, see if I can get it recorded for you guys

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
It is done!

My poor gamecube is dead, so I improvised with Dolphin (using a copy of Zelda Collector's Edition that I dumped myself of course), please excuse the poop video quality, there isn't a good free mac screen recorder I could find, and Dolphin is sadly on my Hackintosh, rather than my laptop.

(also excuse my audio too, I don't have a fancy shmancy mic so I'm using an old turtlebeach ^^;; )

Like I said, I did not invent this glitch, but I can't for the life of my find it online anymore, so here you guys go, hope it's entertaining!

I recommend viewing in default view because holy pixels batman!

Majora's Mask: Duplicating the swamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eR8TUeMLNI

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
I can't believe you play the gamecube version, it's a really bad port that's super unstable and can crash pretty easily. Is it holding you hostage? Say the code word if you need help.

Anyway, yeah alright I know what happens there, you just described it differently than I'm used to, and I didn't know that glitch would let you get past loading zones without triggering them. It's fundamentally the same thing I did to duplicate gold skulltulas back in Part 6. I think activating that zora glitch causes the game to think you're still where link dived so it doesn't activate the loading zone when you go through it. When you put your mask back on it 'fixes' your location (this is just a guess) and you can walk backwards through the loading zone, which will reload the actors in the area. You did say it doesn't duplicate everything and that probably depends on the properties of the actor or has something to do with the way Majora's Mask handles actors when you move between areas in the same map. I don't know for sure though.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Darth Numbers posted:

poop video quality

You're allowed to swear here, by the way.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

George posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015

DoctorKill posted:

I can't believe you play the gamecube version, it's a really bad port that's super unstable and can crash pretty easily. Is it holding you hostage? Say the code word if you need help.

Anyway, yeah alright I know what happens there, you just described it differently than I'm used to, and I didn't know that glitch would let you get past loading zones without triggering them. It's fundamentally the same thing I did to duplicate gold skulltulas back in Part 6. I think activating that zora glitch causes the game to think you're still where link dived so it doesn't activate the loading zone when you go through it. When you put your mask back on it 'fixes' your location (this is just a guess) and you can walk backwards through the loading zone, which will reload the actors in the area. You did say it doesn't duplicate everything and that probably depends on the properties of the actor or has something to do with the way Majora's Mask handles actors when you move between areas in the same map. I don't know for sure though.

I got the Zelda Anniversary Collection back in the day for gamecube and thought that it was The Coolest drat poo poo ever, Ocarina of Time AND Majora's Mask? Now That's What I Call Value (TM)!

(But yeah, it crashes constantly haha)

Ahh, okay, I didn't mean to show off something you already had XD

That makes sense! Yeah, it's one of my favorite things to do in MM, the whole Fierce Diety Link part of it is neat, but personally I like the silly side-effects a lot more :P

George posted:

harr harr harr :P

Darth Numbers fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 29, 2015

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
We did it everyone, everything is all right, the struggle is finished. We have won victory over ourselves. We love Ganondorf wait no hold on

Link's Awakening

Final episode! In this episode we go through Ganon's Castle, me and Artix at the helm. I decided to do it a bit differently than the rest of the LP: rather than doing it as a child since for various reasons that was not feasible, I actually load up a different file to show off how to do the trials with as little equipment as possible, though I make some concessions. After that we go ahead and finish up the game, and we finish it up right, by finishing it up wrong.

Anyway, this was really fun! Thanks to all my co-commentators for lending me your voices, I promise I definitely wont use your voice samples to steal your banking information. I want to formally apologize to all of you, since after editing all that audio I realized just how much I didn't shut the hell up and talked over you guys. Sorry! I hope I wasn't too rude.

Thanks for watching everyone, hope you had fun.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

This LP was loving amazing and I'm glad I got to be a part of it.

Everyone better vote this thread 5!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Crosspeice posted:

This LP was loving amazing and I'm glad I got to be a part of it.

Everyone better vote this thread 5!

I agree with these statements. Well done, Doctor Kill. This is was a treat from start to finish, and I can't wait to see your next project.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That was truly a fitting end to the LP. Thanks a bunch, Doctor Kill!

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Haha holy poo poo.

Carousel Of Regret
Nov 7, 2013
Masterfully done! This has been my favourite LP to come out in some time. Massive kudos to you, good Doctor. The whole route worked out so well (with such a great payoff). I'm definitely looking forward to any future endeavors of yours (if you decide to do any, no pressure)

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

There was nothing wrong with this LP.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The payoff was a while in the making, but it was worth it!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
"It's Link's Awakening all over again."

Eternally glitched. MeccaPrime, you bastard.

This whole thing was pretty great. Speed runs fascinate me, but they're always the same handful of strats and wrong-warps that only go to a few locations overall. I'd love to see more LPs like this that explore the whole breadth of programming fuckery available to you.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I've never seen anyone play OoT this wrong

Thank you

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was the perfect ending. :aaaaa:

Quovak
Feb 2, 2009

See, the problem with online communication is that you can't feel my beard through the HTML.
This was amazing. I'm decently familiar with some of these glitches since I've watched Swordless Link's LPs, but you definitely blew this out of the water and kept it wildly entertaining throughout.

For anyone with programming knowledge reading this thread: What happened during the GCN/PS2/Xbox era that made developers finally learn to program seams? These early 3D games are so unbelievably bad at making walls and ledges work (my favorite example is DK64, where you can swim through almost anything just by going into first person). Even 2D games messed this up, with the Genesis Sonic games having to pretend that dying from hitting a corner too fast was a feature. Did someone in 2001 finally answer a Stack Overflow thread about how walls are supposed to link up?

Anyway, I hope you continue to show us how to play games in pretty much the manner they were intended, but maybe with a slight deviation here and there.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
This LP was amazing and we need more LPs of breaking games in half.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

ThornBrain posted:

Speed runs fascinate me, but they're always the same handful of strats and wrong-warps that only go to a few locations overall. I'd love to see more LPs like this that explore the whole breadth of programming fuckery available to you.

Yeah this was generally my goal. While I'm still "part of the speedrunning community," I don't actually do many runs, I don't like doing the same thing over and over. I really like doing Bingo races, where you get a list of goals and try to make a bingo out of them, Suspicious Dish mentioned them a while ago.

These races generally require a broader array of tricks and glitches than regular speed runs and you get to do different ones every time. A lot of what I learned in order to do bingo races I was able to put in the LP. There's just so much dumb stuff in OoT that I really like doing.

If you guys are still interested in glitch stuff, then head on over to ZeldaSpeedRuns, this is where I learned tons of the stuff I used. A lot of the information on it might be kind of outdated but the basics are there. Maybe just not the specific implemenations. There's also just a lot of cool people associated with the community and learned a lot from many of them too, sometimes just by watching them stream.

I did end up making a playlist of videos of glitches I used specifically for the LP, though it's by no means comprehensive. Just the stuff I remember using, if it wasn't a common trick and I could find a video. There were a couple of tricks I picked up from streams, and runners don't always make youtube videos of tricks they use.

The last video is actually a "speedrun" ZFG did called max% child, where you try to get as much as you can without ever turning adult. It's quite a lot! It ends up having a lot of overlap with what I was doing for the LP, since I do a lot of adult stuff as child. I did not get the idea from this! He actually started practicing for that run right around when I started planning this. But because he did that there were a couple of tricks I took from him, so it was pretty helpful for me.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I really appreciate it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That was a better ending than I dared dream of.

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
:master:

That ending was brilliant. I didn't think this LP could drop my jaw any more but then you warped out of ganon without killing him to go fishing, you glorious loving bastard.

I don't know if it's been asked, but how far ahead of your recordings did you plan? did you do Dodongo's Cavern knowing how you'd be completing the next three dungeons as well? You mentioned having to ask people how to do a certain thing as a child or an adult once or twice during the LP, but this all worked so flawlessly it boggles the mind.

Hexium
Mar 30, 2011
This LP is a masterpiece.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I love speedruns and learning how to break gameworlds apart. It's a shame that more people aren't doin' what you're doing

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Quovak posted:

For anyone with programming knowledge reading this thread: What happened during the GCN/PS2/Xbox era that made developers finally learn to program seams?
Probably just good techniques for 3D collision becoming more widespread, or better hardware meaning you had to use fewer janky approximations for performance.

I've heard that a big part of game QA is still rubbing characters all over the geometry in every level until you (hopefully) find all the holes though.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 30, 2015

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

This was absolutely hysterical, thank you for showing us how wrong you can play Ocarina of Time.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
This has been absolutely perfect.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

Really couldn't have asked for a better ending then that. I mean, an enjoyable use of the 'it was a dream all along' cliche? Who would have thought. :allears:

Thanks for doing this. Early 3d games are just some of the most interesting things to see broken apart and OoT is by far the best example of how deep that rabbit hole goes. It was a wild ride and I hope you share more with us in the future.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Sindai posted:

Probably just good techniques for 3D collision becoming more widespread, or better hardware meaning you had to use fewer janky approximations for performance.

Yeah, this is pretty much true for all hardware/software not just gaming. As certain techniques are used, they get picked up and used by others and improved upon.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

bobthethurd posted:

I don't know if it's been asked, but how far ahead of your recordings did you plan? did you do Dodongo's Cavern knowing how you'd be completing the next three dungeons as well? You mentioned having to ask people how to do a certain thing as a child or an adult once or twice during the LP, but this all worked so flawlessly it boggles the mind.

I planned out the whole thing before I recorded the first video, I asked about some tricks and possibilities around when I had the idea and then went and checked them all to make sure it was good. As for things like dungeon order a lot of it was 'necessary,' like having to beat Forest first or doing Jabu after Fire Temple. And I specifically tried to avoid having to revisit dungeons and areas, like getting hammer or hover boots early on and coming back later to beat the bosses. There's also things like me wanted to RBA for Zelda's Lullaby as soon as possible, and having to wrong warp to Saria's Song before getting the Nocturne, since I use Saria's Song to get it. A lot of it was just necessary ordering.

I did end up changing a few things really close to when I recorded. For a while I had planned to get bombs as child even though I hated the idea, since I thought I would need them for the forest temple, and I wasn't going to get hookshot as child because I didn't think you could on VC. But then I developed methods to doing those things with bombchus, just for this LP, which made things work out much better.

The biggest changes that happened during the LP was something I pointed out: I redid the first sections to get a bean, to be swordless for asschest manipulation which I originally wasn't going to do since I thought it was harder than it was, and I didn't open the chest in the well, which let me get Goron tunic as a child. I didn't know there was a pot with magic there that would let me do that trick. Other than that I had planned on asking how to end spirit temple so I didn't "plan" that, and it did take me a while to settle on an ending, I didn't have one for a while.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
FYI if you want this LP archived on http://lparchive.org/ you should send baldurk a message. I'd recommend it!

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

FYI if you want this LP archived on http://lparchive.org/ you should send baldurk a message. I'd recommend it!

Do this, lest this LP will become a secret to everbody.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
I absolutely love glitched LPs and this is the best example of one I've seen so far. Thank you so much for undertaking this insanity. :golfclap:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
The events of this LP are clearly the REAL explanation for the Fallen Hero timeline; in actuality Link, having easily bested the ultimate evil as both a child and adult believes that the world can take care of itself and instead departs to another universe where he can live his life freely. :unsmith:

On a more serious note, this LP was absolutely amazing. :golfclap:

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
This LP has been everything I've ever wanted in an LP since the first time I saw an OoT speedrun. Thank you for making it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I do find myself wondering which Kokiri Forest Link would've found himself in had he exited his treehouse -- the child version, or the adult version? More generally, how difficult is it to get Adult Link into Child Link areas that aren't dungeons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What do you have in store for Hero Mode now that you've activated it?

• Locked thread