Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lemming posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/599207110505844737

There's gonna be another test fire on 5/23 from 3-4 PM PT. Oh boy!

Cool. I already bought it after the first demo tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ill play the demo again even though i have it preloaded.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

zen death robot posted:

You make it sound as if it's a burden

What i meant was, i dont need the demo to sell me on the game, i just want to play early again.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

how's the game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

how's the game
its good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's a ban.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

You're a squid, now.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

good

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm excited to play the demo again tomorrow, and then the full game next week. this game is cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

there's another demo?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

there's another demo?

Tomorrow.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

there's another demo?

there's one tomorrow, iirc its from 7pm to 8pm est

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
its 6-7pm est

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Only registered members can see post attachments!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm gonna miss it, but I look forward to playing next Friday on release

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
that 1 match I got in was kinda fun

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

SeXReX posted:

that 1 match I got in was kinda fun

i forgot to turn off motion controls for my one match lol

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
it's still going... the hour's up but it's still going

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

no they will not posted:

it's still going... the hour's up but it's still going

:dogbutton:

Soral
May 30, 2009

the more i play it and think about it the more i think this game won t be very good

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Soral posted:

the more i play it and think about it the more i think this game won t be very good

Why do you think that? So far, it's been very fun and good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Soral posted:

Why's that?

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Lemming posted:

Why do you think that? So far, it's been very fun and good.

Most of the controls feel clunky or unnatural, the weapons and classes are imbalanced, and you're stuck with every choice you made because you can only make choices on the main menu. The map being on the gamepad is terrible with or without motion controls, and the d-pad communication thing is pointless, so there's no awareness or teamwork. And you move too slow as a squid.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think the gyro aiming feels somewhat unnatural because it's a new thing that you aren't used to. It's not as good as a mouse but is a lot better than a joystick for aiming. I think that's a thing you can get used to with time.

Not being able to switch weapons is fine, I think. The matches are short and forces you to think ahead a bit.

The map being on the gamepad is very good I think. It means that if you want to figure out what's going on you are opening up yourself to attack, which I think is cool and interesting. It makes it easier to sneak around the map if your opponents aren't paying attention.

I agree the dpad stuff is pretty pointless. Voice chat would be nice, but to be honest, voice chat with randoms is almost fully useless and if you want to play with friends you can setup an alternate voice chat. It's definitely a minus, but not insurmountable.

I think you move a fine speed as a squid, but you can get gear abilities that make you swim faster I think, so if you think you're too slow, you can shore up that weakness! I think that's neat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

Most of the controls feel clunky or unnatural, the weapons and classes are imbalanced, and you're stuck with every choice you made because you can only make choices on the main menu. The map being on the gamepad is terrible with or without motion controls, and the d-pad communication thing is pointless, so there's no awareness or teamwork. And you move too slow as a squid.

George is gettin upset !!!!

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

George is gettin upset !!!!

I dont mean to be a bummer, it just seems like a lot of half baked decisions, and it seemed like you guys wanted to know. Its distressing for me as well

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

huh?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

I dont mean to be a bummer, it just seems like a lot of half baked decisions, and it seemed like you guys wanted to know. Its distressing for me as well

I actually thought that was a troll...I like the gyro controls, idk what mode you were using. For the options thing, idk what specifically you mean by being locked in from the main menu. The map is good on the pad because you click to super jump and I can't think of a better way to implement that, because a majority of the time you are splatting and only really have to glance at the pad.

As for the balance, I think the sniper is completely useless in the demo but the demo only has Turf War which is one of many different modes. It will be better for deathmatch to bag easy kills, and obviously roller will be useless for death match.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Like choosing a class/weapon from the main menu and not being able to change it around what the other team is/was using, because you have to leave multiplayer to do so. That's crazy.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I actually thought that was a troll...I like the gyro controls, idk what mode you were using. For the options thing, idk what specifically you mean by being locked in from the main menu. The map is good on the pad because you click to super jump and I can't think of a better way to implement that, because a majority of the time you are splatting and only really have to glance at the pad.

As for the balance, I think the sniper is completely useless in the demo but the demo only has Turf War which is one of many different modes. It will be better for deathmatch to bag easy kills, and obviously roller will be useless for death match.

I think the sniper can be good but you need to be disproportionately better to be good with it. Range and height advantage are ridiculously important in this game, plus you can still kill people in one hit close up. I don't think there was enough time for anyone to get good at it.

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014
I'm out of state and cannot play this so I m going to find some uzis and take a walk downtown and pretend I have beentransported to the squid reality and the crust punks hanging out under the overpass with their dogs selling liquor to each other are enemy squids

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

Like choosing a class/weapon from the main menu and not being able to change it around what the other team is/was using, because you have to leave multiplayer to do so. That's crazy.

That does suck but I assumed it was a demo thing. I don't totally disagree with you , I remember playing the first demo and not being totally sold. I really like the game and I hope it does well though. There's also a fully fledge single player mode that is a puzzle game with the ink that they're not advertising at all which seems really neat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fun fact: this game is the final result of a very early Super Mario Sunshine 2 build where they gave Mario an ink shooter and he could swim in the ink

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lemming posted:

I think the sniper can be good but you need to be disproportionately better to be good with it. Range and height advantage are ridiculously important in this game, plus you can still kill people in one hit close up. I don't think there was enough time for anyone to get good at it.
i got a lot better at it when i started using it less like a sniper rifle and more like a rocket launcher

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fun fact: this game is the final result of a very early Super Mario Sunshine 2 build where they gave Mario an ink shooter and he could swim in the ink

in the new iwata asks he interviews the splatoon team and asks them if it was inspired by mario sunshine, and they admitted they forgot sunshine existed lol

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

elf help book posted:

in the new iwata asks he interviews the splatoon team and asks them if it was inspired by mario sunshine, and they admitted they forgot sunshine existed lol

he's getting old

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Soral posted:

HolePisser1982 posted:

You are completely retarded

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The only thing this game is missing is the aiblity to look up/down with the right stick when you're in motion control mode. I want to make large movements with the right stick and then fine tune my aiming with the gyroscope, thats the whole point of motion controls. That's what Windwaker Wii U did.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzJY3Pl3iYw

bubble shield is op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

the sniper/rocket launcher thing is cool if you follow a teammate from above and make an ink path for him so he can stay in squid form, move fast, and ambush the enemy, but that's the only use i figured out in my hour with splatoon last week

• Locked thread